HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bettman 5 step plan against concussions

Old
03-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

vCash: 500
The league's major "selling point" is on-the-edge spectacular but reckless hits. Those make up the promotional videos and commercials.

The league won't dare instating automatic suspension of a couple of games, let alone 20-30 games. This is unthinkable for them.

It all comes down to what the league wants as an identity. Right now, its identity is one that ressembles extreme sports, WWE wrestling and MMA. So it will remain closer to a fringe sport than a "major league" sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Bettman is just doing this to keep as many sponsors as possible.
$$$$$$$.

Headshots (ex: Cooke on M.Savard, and Chara on Pacioretty): automatic 20-30 games and/or way more.
Violent Knee on knee: automatic 20-30 games and/or way more.
Hitting from behind: same thing as the above...
And if this doesn't improve the NHL, then make it 30-40 games...etc,etc...

Players who injure others have got to pay the price. 20-30-40 game suspensions and more, and also missing playoffs is what is needed. These players are known throughout the league. Pronger, Carcillo, Cooke, Chara (gets away with a lot), Gillies, Lucic (gets away with a lot)...

Bottom line:
players cannot go for the knees anymore. No more headshots. no more hits from behind. No crosschecks. Or...pay the price.

The NHL also has to be aware of players who are seeking REVENGE:
Bertuzzi wanted revenge.
Chara wanted revenge on Pacioretty (2-3 months now).

Cooke will continue doing what he does.
Chara will get away with it again.

Boston will keep losing and then injuring players as revenge, and...they'll get away with it.

The NHL can suspend players for making comments about ''sloppy seconds'', but find excuses to let criminals like Cooke and Chara continue without strict suspensions. Doesn't ****ing make any sense whatsoever.

Even if someone dies on the ice the NHL will say ''it was a tragic accident...we don't believe the other player was intentionally trying to injure or kill the player... this is just an unfortunate accident...''.

And enough with Colin Campbell: his time is up...get 10 ex-players (Lady Byng winners like Ron Francis) to hand out lengthy suspensions to all the animals out there. Clean up this game.
Let the hockey players play hockey and get rid of the 3-4 wild animals on each team.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
The league's major "selling point" is on-the-edge spectacular but reckless hits. Those make up the promotional videos and commercials.

The league won't dare instating automatic suspension of a couple of games, let alone 20-30 games. This is unthinkable for them.

It all comes down to what the league wants as an identity. Right now, its identity is one that ressembles extreme sports, WWE wrestling and MMA. So it will remain closer to a fringe sport than a "major league" sport.
The league has consistently, and will continue to protect Physicality. That is why borderline, dangerous, unnecessary hits that serve no purpose to the play on the ice other than to put a 'hurt' on a guy are justified to the lengths that they have been. The days of body checking for the sole purpose of separating the puck carrier from the puck are so far in the past, we really shouldn't be as shocked as we are I guess pertaining to the league's slap on the wrist suspensions.

Habit11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
The league has consistently, and will continue to protect Physicality. That is why borderline, dangerous, unnecessary hits that serve no purpose to the play on the ice other than to put a 'hurt' on a guy are justified to the lengths that they have been. The days of body checking for the sole purpose of separating the puck carrier from the puck are so far in the past, we really shouldn't be as shocked as we are I guess pertaining to the league's slap on the wrist suspensions.
Pretty much man, you said it all. So depressing though isn't it?

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:24 PM
andy28

This five part plan is a big start. And I think there will be more and more discussion of the issue. I don't know how much more people could expect from the league on such short notice.

I am not downplaying the issue, but this is pretty big. It won't solve the problems, but really no one knows the answer. We all have our suggestions and bright ideas but we are one faction. There are 30 team owners who will all wanna have their say on how to deal with these things. Someone will say well we should give an automatic penalty for this, or suspend a player without pay for that, but someone else will say now hold on if we do that it wont be fair in such and such situation. And thats just the owners.

Habs fans are not the entirety of the NHL. We have voiced our concerns pretty loudly already. There is the league, the team owners, and also the people we are claiming to protect: the players. Any bright ideas the league, the owners or the fans might have.....you still do not know how the NHLPA reacts.

So, right now the league has shown they want to start doing something. Some people think their recent promise to look into this will amount to nothing. OK, but we do not know that yet. What we do know is people made noise, league responded in a week. What are you protesting?

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I agree something needs to be done about the equipment guys wear it would go a long way towards helping lower the number of concussions. That said I do not want to take many more steps in things we already have a headshot rule i do not agree with adding a north south ruling to it leave it with blindsides only much more tampering and they may as well take hitting right out of the game.
Are you aware that hitting (body checks) are up 40% this season compared to 04-05? That proves that despite the league adding a rule to decrease hits to head, hitting has still INCREASED. The argument that eliminating head shots will lead to a significant decrease in hitting like you and others suggest, is lacking in evidence.

Old
03-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I agree something needs to be done about the equipment guys wear it would go a long way towards helping lower the number of concussions. .....
I do not buy that for one minute.

The days of the hard cup elbow and shoulder pads was in the 90's.... no one is wearing those anymore.

Blaming the glass and the equipement is passing the buck.

I, too, like the game fast and hard, and I do not want to re-introduce interferance as per the Brian Burke "bear hug" idea.

Players just need to be accountable for their actions. Plain and simple. No excuses, no exemptions.

Just call the freaking dangerous hits. And if anyone plays possum to what they are, well you deserve the hit that the injured players get.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:31 PM
pavlako11

Not sure if this has been posted already but here's an update from the GM Meeting in Florida... apparantly this is what has been discussed...

5204590979_b7a7122d38_b.JPG

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:45 PM
goman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Are you aware that hitting (body checks) are up 40% this season compared to 04-05? That proves that despite the league adding a rule to decrease hits to head, hitting has still INCREASED. The argument that eliminating head shots will lead to a significant decrease in hitting like you and others suggest, is lacking in evidence.
The rule you are referencing was added around this time last year. Has hitting increased since then? Where is the evidence the rule to decrease hits to head is up?

Also, 04-05 was the lockout year. Maybe you just wrote the wrong dates...

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlako11 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted already but here's an update from the GM Meeting in Florida... apparantly this is what has been discussed...

Attachment 44004
DGB <3

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
The rule you are referencing was added around this time last year. Has hitting increased since then? Where is the evidence the rule to decrease hits to head is up?

Also, 04-05 was the lockout year. Maybe you just wrote the wrong dates...
Sorry, the year was 03/04. My point was a league that didn't focus on head hits, has less hitting in that season vs. this season where head hitting is a concern.

I don't have the stats of this year vs. last year, but if we look at the top 10 hit leaders last year (full year) vs. this year through about 70 games 2402 vs. 2377 according to NHL.com. So, they are not solid numbers, but it's a good indication that at the very least, hitting this year vs. last year is close.

Edit:

Ok, I've found the hit stats for teams. NHL.com > team stats > real time stats > hits

I'm not gonna add them all up but if we look at the league leader for home ice hits 09/10 and 10/11 Dallas, they averaged 17 hits/game in 09/10 and this season are averaging 16 hits/game.

Atlanta finished last in home ice hits last season averaging 7 hits/game where as this season's lowest team Buffalo is averaging 8 hits/game.

Take it with a grain of salt, though. According to LeBrun they set the record for most hits/game last year, and are on pace to break the record t his year.

Last edited by Habit11: 03-15-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old
03-15-2011, 06:57 PM
drdinky

Gary Bettman...

Bettman needs to go. Period.

drdinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Somebody should do a movie about Bettman getting kidnapped by some crazy Nordiques fan.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
According to the league, 26 percent of concussions this season have been caused by 'accidental' collisions, while 44 percent occurred from what the NHL considers a 'legal' hit. Eight percent of concussions are caused due to fighting while 17 percent fall under the heading of an 'illegal' hit.

"My position is there should be no head hits," said Penguins GM Ray Shero. "That's the position of the Penguins, that's mine, and I brought it up today in our group."

The hits described add up to 95 percent. The league left five percent as "reason not available" since it could not locate video of every hit.

The good news is that only 17 percent of all man-games lost this season are due to concussions. That number is down from 44 percent last season.
If "legal" hits caused 44% of the concussions then it is time now to make them "illegal".

BTW - Chara's hit is probably considered "legal" in this stat since there were no further sanction. The same with Steckel's hit on Crosby.

As for the 17% from 44% - they should add the raw numbers too, not just the percentages.

Bettman is a clown.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
How in hell can you say he is a major pansy ? Do you know him ? I beg to differ to your others points, the guy has been an NHL DG in two others organizations before and don't forget his career as head scout. He's in the hockey business for more than 25 years, how can you say he should be there when the guy had a successfull long career in hockey WTF ? Sorry, but your hate is irrationnal.
He's more of a scout than a GM. You see it in his personality, he's not a take the bull by the horns type of guy. He doesn't want to solve the Habs grit because he doesn't believe in stuff like this. Too much of a pansy for his job.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Crystal Met

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He's more of a scout than a GM. You see it in his personality, he's not a take the bull by the horns type of guy. He doesn't want to solve the Habs grit because he doesn't believe in stuff like this. Too much of a pansy for his job.
Look, even if we traded for Konopka at the deadline, it would have changed nothing to the Chara hit. Nobody in the league can fight with Chara...sucks but it is what it is. Btw that 5 steps plan seems like bullcrap to me, won't change nothing...Didnt they did something like this last year? They just wanted to calm angry montreal fans lol..

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdinky View Post
Bettman needs to go. Period.
And replaced with who exactly?

Everyone repeats that but has no idea what the job is about.

I am no fan either, in fact I think he is a smarmy little rat, but can anyone actually name one commissioner of ANY sport who is well liked?

MLB
Football
F1
etc...

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Maverik

The NFL commish is well like except by the players he suspend...

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Roke

This articulates why I think the "5-step" plan will do little to prevent concussions. Equipment (arena and player) is an issue, but the crux of the problem is the behavior of players on the ice. Until that changes (and the NHL needs to do something to make the players change, if it actually wants change) it will be same old, same old.

I also don't think you can trot out the traditionalist "players don't respect each other these days" trope. I'm sure Bobby Clarke and the Flyers really respected their opponents when playing, or Maurice Richard respecting opposing players and officials, or Eddie Shore respecting Ace Bailey. Nostalgia about respect sounds good, but I don't think the narrative is factual.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post

Yup, exactly.

But if these tools (Bettman, Campbell, and whoever else can improve the NHL) had one of their close relatives get seriously/violently injured (Cooke on M.Savard, Chara on Pacioretty), then they would move their **** to make NHL a safer place. There would be more SEVERE punishments.
It's clear they don't want to make it safer.

I wish Bettman and Colin Campbell played for us (regular shift) against the Bruins on March 24.
Maybe they'd change their minds after this game after several violent hits to their head/face/neck/knees,etc...

And Cherry...I really wished it was Cherry out there instead of Pacioretty (Chara violent hit/calculated push/shove to turnbuckle). And not a 23 year-old Cherry, but the old fart that he is right now. This way he would have another ''violent hits'' DVD to add to his collection of dumb-*** DVDs. This old fart tool makes money from players' life threatening injuries.

Cherry, Bettman, Campbell...all have to be replaced by people who care about the game. An Yzerman, a Ron Francis, a Wayne Gretzky, a Mario Lemieux, a Joe Sakic...anyone who wants the NHL to be less of a UFC league.

Actually...I wish Wayne Gretzky voiced himself more on the violence of hockey. Torontonians will choose Gretzky over Cherry, I'm sure. If I'm wrong, then it's hopeless.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 03-16-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I do not buy that for one minute.

The days of the hard cup elbow and shoulder pads was in the 90's.... no one is wearing those anymore.

Blaming the glass and the equipement is passing the buck.

I, too, like the game fast and hard, and I do not want to re-introduce interferance as per the Brian Burke "bear hug" idea.

Players just need to be accountable for their actions. Plain and simple. No excuses, no exemptions.

Just call the freaking dangerous hits. And if anyone plays possum to what they are, well you deserve the hit that the injured players get

The NHL has got to, I repeat...got to give SEVERE punishment.
Instead of this they let everything go.

Not 3 games, 5 games,etc...

20 games
30 games
The entire season and playoffs (especially if it's the 2nd time a player does it, ex: Cooke on M.Savard).

Chara: I would have given him nothing less than 20 games, or the rest of the season AND playoffs. This is the price for almost killing someone. And Pacioretty may be ok, but Chara still broke his neck and gave him severe concussions, ok has nothing to do with this. Makes me sick to see Chara still out there.

Perfect Irony (justice): Cooke violently elbows Chara to the face/head...Chara gets the same injury M.Savard got. Cooke finally gets suspended (also for next season), Chara can never come back to the NHL and joins M.Savard in a committee that bans hits to the head. That's irony...

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 06:20 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
If "legal" hits caused 44% of the concussions then it is time now to make them "illegal".

BTW - Chara's hit is probably considered "legal" in this stat since there were no further sanction. The same with Steckel's hit on Crosby.
Chara KNEW he was in contact with Pacioretty and should have been punished for what he did.

I thought the same about the Steckel-Crosby incident until I saw from another angle that it was a TOTAL accident. In fact, it was Crosby that skated into Steckel's path while looking backwards. You can see Steckel at the very last second try to AVOID him altogether when he realizes that Crosby has turned into him (changed direction), but it was too late.

Having absolved Steckel of blame, however, the second hit on Crosby, the one where his head was driven into the glass, was certainly punishable.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:04 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
And replaced with who exactly?

Everyone repeats that but has no idea what the job is about.

I am no fan either, in fact I think he is a smarmy little rat, but can anyone actually name one commissioner of ANY sport who is well liked?

MLB
Football
F1
etc...
Football Commish is well liked and respected.

Stein (NBA) might not be liked, but I doubt anybody is arguing with the way he is running the business.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Step one: Get rid of Gary Bettman.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote