HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Raffi Torres

Old
03-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

vCash: 500
Raffi Torres

What kind of deal do people see him getting this summer? Similarly to Upshall, I can see him getting overpaid.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^I doubt it, TBH. He has been a decent but streaky foot soldier for the Canucks this season. Ultimately his worth will be decided by the playoffs, IMO. Unless he lights it up in the post-season, I don't see him making more than his current $1m contract.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Cawz

He sat for a couple months last summer before the Nucks lowballed him. None of his former employers re-signed him in that 2 month span. Thats got to say something.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Co Ho*

I'd guess 1.5 - 2 mill for 1 year. Apparently he turned down money to sign in Vancouver, so I'm guessing he's worth a bit more than his current contract, while also taking into consideration his 15-20 goal current season.

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
I'd guess 1.5 - 2 mill for 1 year. Apparently he turned down money to sign in Vancouver, so I'm guessing he's worth a bit more than his current contract, while also taking into consideration his 15-20 goal current season.
I don't ever remember hearing anything about him turning down money to come here. Regardless, I see him making slightly more than he makes now. Maybe a 2 yr 2.4mil contract? There are a lot of 35 pt 3rd liners like him who are available in the offseason, so I don't see a team overpaying much.

Steve Bernier
Raffi Torres
Jarkko Ruutu
Tomas Kopecky
Jamie Langenbrunner
Alexei Ponikarvosky
Chuck Kobasew

Just to name a few...

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:07 PM
RStar*

I'd love him back on the Oilers. People call him streaky, but a streaky goal scorer on the third line? What do you expect?

He's a gritty 3rd liner who can pot you 20 goals and lay out some pretty mean hits. He won't have any problems getting another contract.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I don't ever remember hearing anything about him turning down money to come here. Regardless, I see him making slightly more than he makes now. Maybe a 2 yr 2.4mil contract? There are a lot of 35 pt 3rd liners like him who are available in the offseason, so I don't see a team overpaying much.

Steve Bernier
Raffi Torres
Jarkko Ruutu
Tomas Kopecky
Jamie Langenbrunner
Alexei Ponikarvosky
Chuck Kobasew

Just to name a few...
It's true, I read it as well. He supposedly turned down 1.75/1yr from someone to take 1m from the Canucks.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Mizral

I usually don't like players like Torres but he's grown on me. Looks like he's skating hard every time he's out there and I can't really point to a game where he didn't give enough effort or made a tremendously bad mistake. He likes to shoot and hit and sometimes you need energy guys who actually remember what their job is once in a while.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
It's true, I read it as well. He supposedly turned down 1.75/1yr from someone to take 1m from the Canucks.
Well, if he's willing to take a 2.25mil 2 year contract I could certainly see him back here, although I have my doubts. Taking a discount on a 1 year contract is a lot easier than doing it over 3 years; at that point, he'd be down about 2mil before taxes.

We can't really keep Torres around for much more than that I don't think. If we want to re-sign both Bieksa and Ehrhoff we will certainly need some money.

Old
03-15-2011, 06:16 PM
mstad101

Raffi has been great, I love it when he has confidence and really uses his body to his advantage. His game against the Wild n even most of the Flames games recently he has been effective.
Streaky as hell, but a skilled, hardnosed, proven veteran 3rd line guy with offensive instincts.
I'd re-sign him one more for the same contract for another cup run if he would accept. But if not I'd look within the organization to replace him on the cheap.

He will most likely make between 1.1 to 1.5 million depending on years, 2 maybe 3 if someone really feels he'd fit in.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Reign Nateo

The type of guy that shows flashes of dominance, but his periods of uselessness stretch too long. He'll definitely get a raise. But it won't be from Vancouver. Playoffs will determine a lot. Solid player that could help a lot of teams though.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 07:22 PM
ManoWarrior

He actually LIKES to be physical, rather than just finishing his checks because coaches told him to. This is relatively rare for a player with good skills. My guess is that he has a good playoffs with some big hits, a couple 2 goal games. He gets paid like 4.5 million over two years by Toronto to be a complimentary player on one of the top 2 lines.

ManoWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:21 PM
ProstheticConscience
Yes or no, Lester?

I certainly wouldn't mind keeping him around at $1.5mil, $1.75mil per, something like that. Took a couple of months off (as did the rest of the 3rd line there for a while) but he's been really effective when he's been on. Definite upgrade on what was there before.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:41 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
After Edmonton lost in the playoffs he became one of my most common scapegoats. Took lots of shots from low % goal scoring areas and took too many stupid penalties.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:18 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
After Edmonton lost in the playoffs he became one of my most common scapegoats. Took lots of shots from low % goal scoring areas and took too many stupid penalties.
He has been pretty good on the penalty side. AV's system doesn't take too many penalties and Raffi really bought in, while in Vancouver.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
I actually quite like Torres, but only as a depth player for around 12-14 minutes a night. I can see why he had trouble in places where he was relied on as a top-six option because he really isn't one. I wouldn't mind him back at a slight raise from what he's making last year, but if there is a team willing to offer him $2.5-$3 million on the open market for 3-4 years you can have fun with that.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I actually quite like Torres, but only as a depth player for around 12-14 minutes a night. I can see why he had trouble in places where he was relied on as a top-six option because he really isn't one. I wouldn't mind him back at a slight raise from what he's making last year, but if there is a team willing to offer him $2.5-$3 million on the open market for 3-4 years you can have fun with that.
I could see someone offering him 2mil. Vancouver will likely offer no more than 1.25mil, otherwise we'll go elsewhere. It really comes down to what Torres wants, and if we win a cup this year. If we do, then maybe Torres goes for the money. If we come close and fail, well, there's a good chance we see him back imo.

Old
03-16-2011, 10:34 AM
tempest2i
Feral

I agree with the idea that someone will offer $2 Million for Torres. I wouldn't offer him that money because I just don't like the guy. I met him in a social setting once and he acted like a coked out complete ******. First impressions go a long ways.

tempest2i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:12 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

3 year 1.7 per

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:36 PM
zeus3007*

I would be shocked if he was offered any more than 1.5 per, and any more than a 2 year deal. I wouldn't be opposed to Edmonton bringing him back at that rate, he would hit in well on the third line.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:46 PM
The Fuhr*

- Cap projected to rise about 3.0
- Pretty poor UFA pool
- Armstrong signed 3/9.0 last summer

I think Torres could get around 2.2 on a 2/3 year deal

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:15 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
Torres is benefitting from playing on Malhotra's wing. A lot. He knows this. It might have an effect on his decision, regaurdless of this season's outcome. Also, I think the Canucks can go to at least two to keep this guy. He has been part of a very successful lineup. Gillis would be smart to retain him.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:21 PM
ShyCheetah

I hoping the Canucks resign him for a couple more years. Unfortuneately we may not be able to fit him under the cap. It looks like Tanev and at least one more rookie contract has to make the team next year to get under the cap as things project at the moment. At a mill a year he's a steal this year, even at 1.5 he'd still be a bargain, anything more than that I think he'd have to look at other teams. I'm sure he'll get a couple of better offers than ours, but hopefully he'll like the situation he's in and stick around.

Shy

ShyCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Cogburn

Anything above, say, 1.5 would be an overpayment. I love having him on this team, but what he brings, a physical game and random spatters of offense upto 20 goals/season, isn't unique. If he's going for the same price as Upshall, I'd rather take the risk on Upshall.

Cogburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 04:40 PM
GoTeamDom

Whatever Toronto will pay him, he basically goes everywhere Mike Peca has been, except TO so far

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote