HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ales Hemsky

Old
03-16-2011, 01:29 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
People on this board are ridiculous. Are you sure that Tambo overpriced Hemmer? It is as if posters feel like they know exactly what was going on behind closed doors because Eklund and other reporters were speculating.

Maybe the fact that he was not shopping him led people to speculate that this was the case. Considering that he was dealing with a bum shoulder, have you considered that Tambo was not shopping him because he knew he would not pass a physical?

I would say this is a lot more likely than him just being overpriced.
Other reporters like Bob McKenzie you mean? Yeah, he doesn't know much.
It was being widely speculated by people who are in the know that Tambellini was setting a price on Hemsky that was outrageous. He might not have been shopping him but he was certainly listening to offers and apparently none of them came close to making him want to trade Hemsky.

We obviously don't know what the offers were but i'm pretty sure that at least one was similar if not a better offer than what we got for Penner since Hemsky was regarded as a more valuable commodity on the trade market.

It sounds to me like Tambellini wanted the moon for Hemsky and he said during the post-deadline presser that he wasn't willing to move Hemsky unless it was for a very hefty price. You speculating that Tambellini might not have wanted to deal him because he wouldn't pass a physical is more speculative than Hemsky being overpriced.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
he has to be traded, im sorry, but he just cannot stay healthy. get what you can next trade deadline and bail
That's a huge assumption. Has Hemsky suffered a number of season ending injuries? Yup. Is that an indicator of how his next several season will go? Who knows? The problem is that Hemsky is the only proven offensive star on the team, of scoring at nearly 1.0 ppg. Hall may do that next season, but he hasn't done it yet. If we trade him for a first rounder plus prospect our forward lines look really really empty next season. And that's BEFORE the inevitable injury bug hits.

Question 1: Is this the same shoulder or the other shoulder? He had surgery in the 2009/10 season to fix a damaged labrum in the LEFT shoulder.

Question 2: What is the potential of injury reoccurrence after labrum surgery?

If the injury is in the right shoulder, then that's better, at least it's not the same shoulder as last time.

And from what I hear secondhand, labrum surgeries are usually pretty good at making the shoulder as strong or even stronger than before injury. ACL reconstruction these days for example is pretty good at making the knee ligament as strong as it was before.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
That's a huge assumption. Has Hemsky suffered a number of season ending injuries? Yup. Is that an indicator of how his next several season will go? Who knows? The problem is that Hemsky is the only proven offensive star on the team, of scoring at nearly 1.0 ppg. Hall may do that next season, but he hasn't done it yet. If we trade him for a first rounder plus prospect our forward lines look really really empty next season. And that's BEFORE the inevitable injury bug hits.
You're saying that you can't use Hemsky's record of injuries to possibly project his future. However you then go on to say that Hall hasn't proven he is a consistent season per season scorer and therefore we can't count on him to do this in the future. So basically what I'm getting from you is that you are saying you can't predict the future, which is fair.

However then with that argument this team hasn't done much with Hemsky so why not trade him and hope that the assets acquired from him turn into something?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:46 PM
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
I heard that Ales Hemsky cleans himself with Windex because he is made of glass

ExOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags and Gilby View Post
Really?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:

Question 1: Is this the same shoulder or the other shoulder? He had surgery in the 2009/10 season to fix a damaged labrum in the LEFT shoulder.

Question 2: What is the potential of injury reoccurrence after labrum surgery?

If the injury is in the right shoulder, then that's better, at least it's not the same shoulder as last time.

And from what I hear secondhand, labrum surgeries are usually pretty good at making the shoulder as strong or even stronger than before injury. ACL reconstruction these days for example is pretty good at making the knee ligament as strong as it was before.
People were crapping on Souray's and Khabibulin's durability but Hemsky is immune from it? These are more than legitimate concerns. He is injury prone partially because he puts himself in positions to be. Sometime watching Hemsky is like watching Jackass, you know that he's going to get hurt, he probably knows that he's going to get hurt, but he does something to get hurt anyway.

03-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags and Gilby View Post
Looks like we've got a comedian in the house. Very clever.

Eytinge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
People were crapping on Souray's and Khabibulin's durability but Hemsky is immune from it? These are more than legitimate concerns. He is injury prone partially because he puts himself in positions to be. Sometime watching Hemsky is like watching Jackass, you know that he's going to get hurt, he probably knows that he's going to get hurt, but he does something to get hurt anyway.
Not quite, I'm saying there's a difference between a player suffering different injuries and a player suffering the same injury multiple times.

For example, Khabibulin's back problems and Forsberg's foot problems were reoccurrences of the same injury, or Savard's concussion history.

If Hemsky has continual damage to the same shoulder several times in a row - then that is certainly cause for alarm. If Hemsky damaged the OTHER shoulder, then it maybe a case of bad luck rather than actually being injury-prone.

Old
03-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Instead, Tambellini trades Penner who is the only durable player that we have and the only player with size that we have in our top 6. Oh, and he was our leading goal scorer over the last 2 years and seemed like he wanted to stay.
I dont buy this whole "wanted to stay" idea. Penner bailed on a SC winning team for money when he signed the offer sheet. He doesn’t strike me as the loyal type. This is just a gut feeling, but that’s how feel about him.

Quote:
It sounds to me like Tambellini wanted the moon for Hemsky and he said during the post-deadline presser that he wasn't willing to move Hemsky unless it was for a very hefty price. You speculating that Tambellini might not have wanted to deal him because he wouldn't pass a physical is more speculative than Hemsky being overpriced.
Tambellini knew Hemsky was hurt, so its not that speculative. I think it more than reasonable. If someone traded for him and he didn’t pass the physical and the trade was nixed (if that’s possible), then not only are stuck with an injured player, but we’re also stuck with a injured player in which we tried to dump, thus damaging the relationship with the team. Instead Tambo called him “our best player”. That’s a much smarter way to handle the situation.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Not quite, I'm saying there's a difference between a player suffering different injuries and a player suffering the same injury multiple times.

For example, Khabibulin's back problems and Forsberg's foot problems were reoccurrences of the same injury, or Savard's concussion history.

If Hemsky has continual damage to the same shoulder several times in a row - then that is certainly cause for alarm. If Hemsky damaged the OTHER shoulder, then it maybe a case of bad luck rather than actually being injury-prone.
BTW its not the same shoulder he injured last year.

Eytinge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:

Or how about bad genetics or simply putting himself in a position to get hurt over and over again? The bottom line is that he is a fragile player that plays like he's a tank, bad combination.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
BTW its not the same shoulder he injured last year.
Thanks that's something at least.

Old
03-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Thanks that's something at least.
Now he'll have two wonky shoulders. I hear what you're saying about it not being a recurring issue on one shoulder, but he will have more shoulder issues and concussion issues unless he wises up and starts using his head out there.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
I dont buy this whole "wanted to stay" idea. Penner bailed on a SC winning team for money when he signed the offer sheet. He doesn’t strike me as the loyal type. This is just a gut feeling, but that’s how feel about him.

Tambellini knew Hemsky was hurt, so its not that speculative. I think it more than reasonable. If someone traded for him and he didn’t pass the physical and the trade was nixed (if that’s possible), then not only are stuck with an injured player, but we’re also stuck with a injured player in which we tried to dump, thus damaging the relationship with the team. Instead Tambo called him “our best player”. That’s a much smarter way to handle the situation.
People aren't giving Tambo credit for this. It was not the time to trade Hemsky because it just would've come back on us, ticked off another team, ticked off Hemsky and been a complete mess.

Instead, he created hype over Hemsky and possibly transferred some of that excitement to Penner.

If the Oilers don't trade Hemsky and end up signing him for cheap, is that such a bad thing? It's not like he's Marian Gaborik. Besides, if Hemsky's gonna have injury problems, isn't it better that he have them when we're wallowing in last than when we're actually competitive.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:19 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:

If Tambellini really knew that he was hurt then why was Hemsky playing leading up to the trade deadline? I thought that there was a "test" that players had to pass before Renney lets them play. Hmmm.......

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:23 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Quote:

I partially agree.

I agree his injuries can't be put in the same category as Khabibulin's back or Gaborik/Havlat/Lehotnen's groin(s) or Savard's concussion.

But I would say it may indicate a decrease in durability from our beloved RWer.

The hit he took from Handzus was a pretty common hockey hit IIRC. Yes he was carrying an injury before, but either way, his durability must come into question. Both injuries(the one he was carrying and the one which caused him to be out for the rest of the season) were pretty common hockey hits IIRC. Nothing overly vicious a la Tootoo last season.

I think it leads to question how he'll hold up from hits such as this in the future.

I'm not convinced he can play over 50-60 games next season. His durability seems to have gone down the gutter over the past 2-3 seasons.

03-16-2011, 03:45 PM
oilphan

Quote:
Other reporters like Bob McKenzie you mean? Yeah, he doesn't know much.
Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think Bob ever mentioned anything about what the Oilers asking price was other than referring to what he had heard other people say. When he says something like "A source from the Minnesota Wild has suggested that the asking price for Hemsky is...", people jump up and down and it soon turns into something Bob knows first hand.

A. Take this stuff with a grain of salt.
B. There is more strategy to this rumour business than people realize

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Horcoff injured often.
Hall, one year one season ending injury. If he is out for a few games next year is he to be blasted for being injury prone?
Half the Detroit high end roster hurt a lot.

People go totally off the deep end in regards to injuries. Other than the fact that the Oilers have done a horrendous job of trying to protect skilled players from injury the rest is beyond the teams and players control, unless we want a team full of parick o'sullivans or robert nilssons.

Hemksy, when healthy always produces. We may by passed the perfect time to trade him, we should let him get healthy and sign him long term if the price is right.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 04:18 PM
TaylorHallFan*

Last edited by TaylorHallFan*: 03-27-2011 at 12:14 AM.
TaylorHallFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Torn labrum on the opposite shoulder.

The Windex joke is completely glassless guys.

All I can say is, good luck trading him at the draft Tambie. Next deadline if anything. What a total bummer.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Cawz

Quote:
If Tambellini really knew that he was hurt then why was Hemsky playing leading up to the trade deadline? I thought that there was a "test" that players had to pass before Renney lets them play. Hmmm.......
I dont know. I'm just going off of what Hemsky said on Tencer's twitter.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Now he'll have two wonky shoulders.
Exactly. He'll be better balanced now.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 10000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
I think Hemsky will sign a 5 year deal this off season for a reduced price. He wants to stay here and can be a superstar. His injuries knock a few million off his asking price.

Management respects Hemky's willingness to go to the tough areas. They want him around to teach the young kids what it takes to become an elite player. That willingness is the only thing that seperates Hemsky from Schremp or Klima.
Some fans would argue they have been waiting for these for some time now.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Silver

Quote:
If Penner didn't sign that offer sheet, he'd be so stupid I doubt he would be able to tend to basic bodily functions...

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:02 PM
cheesed-off*

Wow, there are some really bad jokes in this thread.

Gene just called me and said "What the hell is wrong with you ***holes?"

I hate it !

(and yet, I love it)

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote