HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WGR: Sabres qualify 10, not Satan

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2005, 01:55 PM
eSabre

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to eSabre
WGR: Sabres qualify 10, not Satan

http://www.sabresinsider.com/modules...rticle&sid=533

Old
07-30-2005, 03:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Man, if they simply let him walk, then Regier is the biggest tool in the shed.

Old
07-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Buffalo Stylee

That's beautiful. Way to go, Regier. I swear to God...

Old
07-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Looks like Regier couldn't find any takers for Miro at $3.8 million. If he had ANY kind of offer he would have qualified him. Teams must feel they can sign him cheaper as an UFA. I think it's better to let him go like this than have his status in limbo all season. The Sabres can't afford to be paying a guy that much whose heart isn't into it because he's waiting to be traded.

Old
07-30-2005, 03:50 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Where is McKee on that list???? If they didn't pick up his option AND didn't qualify him....

Old
07-30-2005, 04:13 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
I have to agree with Buff, I'm sure Regier couldn't get any kind of return on Miro at that salary. So, freeing up his salary now clears up the problem without any drama or uncertainty.

That money can now be spent on the upcoming season on someone who might actually want to play here, as unlikely as that might be.

Ta,

Old
07-30-2005, 04:20 PM
Rowley Birkin

Biron, Grier, Pyatt, Connolly...... yawn

There's Miro's $3.8 right there, and then some

Old
07-30-2005, 04:34 PM
joechip

Rowley,

At least two of those guys have real trade value. Grier is valauble (if slightly overpaid) and a fine player to have around. He's a perfect example of a guy you qualify, and then re-negotiate his contract at a lower average salary than his Q.O.

Connolly and Pyatt you take to arbitration if necessary to get their services cheaper (and more trade worthy).

Biron, for better or worse, has 3 years of NHL starting Netminding experience and has some trade value (even at his current salary). Packaged up with a surplus forward he could easily bring back a roster player and mid round pick for next year.

Miro didn't want to play here, and obviously Regier didn't want him here. Cut ties now... no drama... make committments to the guys that palyed hard last season and move on.

I'll miss Satan as much, if not more than, you will. But the situation demanded something be done. Going into this season with a grumpy, overpaid 'star' player would be more damaging than losing him to the ether of free agency for nothing.

Ta,

Old
07-30-2005, 04:59 PM
rabi

People, People...

please...know your facts...

They still have until 5pm tomorrow to qualify ALL of their RFA's...and some of them they might take to arbitration....

That is why not all of the RFA's are on that list...

Do you really think Regier would let Miro go for NOTHING?????

Old
07-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Good point rabi!

As for Joe Chip's points. I really like Grier too, but why's he going to negotiate when he can simply accept his qualifying offer?

Regarding arbitration, it's only available to clubs if the player made $1.5+ mil the prior season.
http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/cba_faq072205.html
It doesn't say whether the $1.5 mil is pre-rollback salary for 2003-04, but Connolly and Pyatt definitely aren't eligible.

Old
07-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Tra La La

Biron 2.1
Briere 1.9
Hecht 1.6
Dumont 1.6
Griere 1.3
Afingenov 1.1
Connolly 1.0
Pyatt 1.0
Kotalik.837
Tallinder.591

13.028 ? So Far?

plus those under contract.

Drury 2.9
Kalinin 1.3
Roy .782
Norronen .665
Fitzpatrick .532
Mair .450
Peters .450
Taylor .450

7.529 ?

18 players = 20.557

Last edited by Tra La La: 07-30-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old
07-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I have an unconfirmed comment from Regier that Satan will be made some sort of offer tomorrow. The info was on the television in the other room and my father was relaying it to me out on the deck. Quinn was apparently running his yap about it again too. I wish he'd get it through his thick political skull that he is the managing partner, not the General Manager. Let the GM GM damitall.

07-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Freezerburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
I have an unconfirmed comment from Regier that Satan will be made some sort of offer tomorrow. The info was on the television in the other room and my father was relaying it to me out on the deck. Quinn was apparently running his yap about it again too. I wish he'd get it through his thick political skull that he is the managing partner, not the General Manager. Let the GM GM damitall.
Personally, I'd love to keep Satan around.

Perhaps they can strike something along the lines of a 2 year contract with him. More than likely however, is that if he did return it would only be for 1 season so he can taste free agency at his first possible chance.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
I wonder if it's going to be a serious offer or PR move. According to Satan's agent the Sabres have had no contact with him. If they wanted to keep him, you'd think they would have started talking sooner. This smells like the offer they made Ted Nolan so they could tell the fans they did their part to keep him.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I wonder if it's going to be a serious offer or PR move. According to Satan's agent the Sabres have had no contact with him. If they wanted to keep him, you'd think they would have started talking sooner. This smells like the offer they made Ted Nolan so they could tell the fans they did their part to keep him.
Quinn's comments were the ones that made my hair stand on end -- that they had made no decision yet. What the H do they think they should've been doing this last week? Then Regier comes on right after and says they will make Miro some sort of offer tomorrow. It smacks of a backdoor manuever, the type of thing Quinn has been involved in before.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip
Rowley,

At least two of those guys have real trade value. Grier is valauble (if slightly overpaid) and a fine player to have around. He's a perfect example of a guy you qualify, and then re-negotiate his contract at a lower average salary than his Q.O.

Connolly and Pyatt you take to arbitration if necessary to get their services cheaper (and more trade worthy).

Biron, for better or worse, has 3 years of NHL starting Netminding experience and has some trade value (even at his current salary). Packaged up with a surplus forward he could easily bring back a roster player and mid round pick for next year.

Miro didn't want to play here, and obviously Regier didn't want him here. Cut ties now... no drama... make committments to the guys that palyed hard last season and move on.

I'll miss Satan as much, if not more than, you will. But the situation demanded something be done. Going into this season with a grumpy, overpaid 'star' player would be more damaging than losing him to the ether of free agency for nothing.

Ta,
I think losing Miro for nothing would be stupid. Even by Regier's standards. At this point, i would take one last season with him, even if we lose him to FA. Of course, i'd rather lock him up for a couple of years, but one year is better than nothing.

Pyatt, Biron and co have some trade value maybe, and given the choice i sign them and try and move them for minimum return. But if thats going to mean they wont sign Miro, then i would cut them loose. IF we keep them, then say a, Biron + Pyatt + pick deal for a decent young 3/4 D would make sense, ie. Lydman.

I wouldn't even offer the qualifier to Grier. I just think he is over paid, and im not sure he holds any trade value.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:56 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
\
I wouldn't even offer the qualifier to Grier. I just think he is over paid, and im not sure he holds any trade value.
I don't have a problem with Grier, espically if he is clearing room for Connolly and Vanek to work together.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:22 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
According to Satan's agent the Sabres have had no contact with him.
I thought Miro represented himself?

Old
07-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
I thought Miro represented himself?
That's what WGR said, so they must be talking directly to Miro unless he hired one. I guess it's one of those things people get used to saying.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:38 PM
cybresabre
Crabby Seer

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
I thought I read that Satan would hire an agent because he doesn't know the ins and outs of the new cba yet?

Old
07-30-2005, 09:46 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
That's what WGR said, so they must be talking directly to Miro unless he hired one. I guess it's one of those things people get used to saying.

Okay, it's cool -- I'm not calling you to the carpet or anything.

I'm so confused by all this.

I think if anything, Lindy should probably be the guy on the bubble. I'm not sure he's the guy to lead the Sabres in the post-obstruction NHL (ha!)

Regarding Satan, since he's such a monster in a contract year, we should just keep giving him one-year deals. If he's playing for his next batch of paychecks, he'd probably be worth the constantly mounting pricetag.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:48 PM
joechip

Quote:
Good point rabi!

As for Joe Chip's points. I really like Grier too, but why's he going to negotiate when he can simply accept his qualifying offer?

Regarding arbitration, it's only available to clubs if the player made $1.5+ mil the prior season.
http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/cba_faq072205.html
It doesn't say whether the $1.5 mil is pre-rollback salary for 2003-04, but Connolly and Pyatt definitely aren't eligible.
Thanks for the clarification on the arbitration points, Buff. As for Grier, if we make him an offer of a longer contract at a lower price that might be attractive to him.

Ta,

Old
07-31-2005, 01:03 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
I knew it was a pipe dream to have Biron and Grier's salaries off the books so we could use the 3.6m to get a guy like Aucoin...but noooo, Darcy seems to love high cost redundancy.

I know they can still be traded, but I doubt they will be. I would have let Biron and Grier walk, and resign Satan and dump him off to the highest DP bidder.

Also, totally unrelated...but I heard today on the draft show that Redden and Chara are going to be UFAs at the end of the year. I wonder if OTT would trade off Redden for a package of prospects or something...maybe Pyatt + Stafford with a conditional 1st rounder or something if we sign Redden before he hits UFA status?

Old
07-31-2005, 02:26 AM
Tra La La

Add
http://www.canada.com/sports/hockey/...2-685818297d49

Jillson .833
Campbell .459

Edit: and

Mckee 1.59

Total 23.439

(Add Vanek .952? -24%?)
.732?

Still no Satan

Last edited by Tra La La: 07-31-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Closed Thread