HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL: Part IX: The Playoff Push

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
What part of "Auld has a 4-0-2 record against the Rangers with an 0.98 goals-against average" did you miss? lol
Well, the fact that no goaltender is that good against any team over an extended period of time.

All that stat means to me is that he is due for a stinker. Or four.

03-17-2011, 12:01 AM
ColonialsHockey10

vCash: 500
I went to the Avalanche- Ducks game in Denver last friday, and payed very close attention to Fowler. His poise in the neutral and offensive zone is amazing, he's a perfect passer and his skating allows him to get the puck to the forwards very quickly. He isn't a threat on the power play I thought he'd be at this point, but he's still solid.

Defensively he is so much worse then MDZ it's ridiculous. The crazy thing about Fowler pre draft was my limited viewing of him was during the WJC, where he was a stud defensively, and unimpressive offensively. I knew he would put up points in the NHL, but I didn't expect the switch to be so abrupt. He coughs the puck up every shift, and is a disaster whenever anyone forechecks him. Luckily for the Ducks, Fowler has a lot of improve on in the strength department, and his skating and passing ability will prevent him from ever being a train wreck in his own zone during his career like he is now.

I'd still love him on the Rangers, he'll be a good one.

Old
03-17-2011, 01:01 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The Devs, for sure. They're on some kind of tear right now.

Definitely. No disrespect to Canes who are a solid team but Devils are on something like 23-3-3 tear. That's crazy good. Tell you what, if they finish as #8 seed, I'd worried if I was Philly.

It'd be interesting if Caps remain hot and grab #1 seed from Philly. Caps have won 11 out of their last 13 games, only losing to Wings and that debacle against us.

Old
03-17-2011, 01:03 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think Fowler will be a good but not great offensive defenseman. I'm just not as impressed with him as most.

It's just pain.
Old
03-17-2011, 01:27 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Definitely. No disrespect to Canes who are a solid team but Devils are on something like 23-3-3 tear. That's crazy good. Tell you what, if they finish as #8 seed, I'd worried if I was Philly.

It'd be interesting if Caps remain hot and grab #1 seed from Philly. Caps have won 11 out of their last 13 games, only losing to Wings and that debacle against us.
Everyone keeps saying how they would like to play the Caps come playoff time, but I for one wouldn't. You would think they would know we have spanked them around, and after losing to the Habs last year, they won't take anyone lightly in the playoffs anymore.

1st round is going to be tough no matter what if we get in.

Old
03-17-2011, 07:42 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I went to the Avalanche- Ducks game in Denver last friday, and payed very close attention to Fowler. His poise in the neutral and offensive zone is amazing, he's a perfect passer and his skating allows him to get the puck to the forwards very quickly. He isn't a threat on the power play I thought he'd be at this point, but he's still solid.

Defensively he is so much worse then MDZ it's ridiculous. The crazy thing about Fowler pre draft was my limited viewing of him was during the WJC, where he was a stud defensively, and unimpressive offensively. I knew he would put up points in the NHL, but I didn't expect the switch to be so abrupt. He coughs the puck up every shift, and is a disaster whenever anyone forechecks him. Luckily for the Ducks, Fowler has a lot of improve on in the strength department, and his skating and passing ability will prevent him from ever being a train wreck in his own zone during his career like he is now.

I'd still love him on the Rangers, he'll be a good one.
hell be the better pro compared to mcilrath.

his upside is better even if he cant play any physical defense right now. once this kid gets a few years of experience and confidence, his skating, passing and ability to handle the puck man up will be his bread and butter. his skating is so effortless and he sees the ice like a veteran already. not every dman needs to hit and fight to contribute.

having said that, i would still rather have tarasenko or evgeny kuznetsov over both of them.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Blueshirt Special

devils are within reach

and appeared to be poised for a playoff birth.

I salute you devils fans!!!

OK, you're not there yet (an neither are the Rangers! Yet...), and I'm not trying jinx anything, but you really deserve credit. Not only has the team done an incredible job, I think the fan base has really shown they are true to their team. They never gave up and have really supported their team at the rock. When the devs are down the fans continue to cheer and never throw the team and/or individual players under the bus. Well done.

Instead of hoping the devils lose and fail to make the playoffs, let's see the Rangers and devils come in at 7 & 8, and win 2 rounds to face each other in the EC Finals!!!

This really would be epic! A long shot to put it mildly but east coast hockey would be rockin'!

Old
03-17-2011, 11:01 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think Fowler will be a good but not great offensive defenseman. I'm just not as impressed with him as most.
He's Dennis Wideman 2.0.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
03-17-2011, 11:13 AM
MaximusT

Lets hope the Lightning beat the Habs tonight!
Honestly, if the Habs lose tonight, and we beat them tomorrow at home with Auld in net (+ their laundry list of injuries) we can be within THREE points of the Habs with even games played.
and who knows, with all of their injuries, what if they cool down the way we did? I would LOVE to be in 6th for the POs, though at this point I would be happy just making it, considering we were only 1 pt ahead of the 9th place team not too long ago.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:53 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
He's Dennis Wideman 2.0.
I'll have to disagree. He's MUCH more talented than Dennis Wideman. 2-3 years, he'll be putting up 50 points a season.

Old
03-17-2011, 12:39 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
hell be the better pro compared to mcilrath.

his upside is better even if he cant play any physical defense right now. once this kid gets a few years of experience and confidence, his skating, passing and ability to handle the puck man up will be his bread and butter. his skating is so effortless and he sees the ice like a veteran already. not every dman needs to hit and fight to contribute.

having said that, i would still rather have tarasenko or evgeny kuznetsov over both of them.
Agreed on tarasenko. Not sure yet with the D. Fowler is obviously way better than McI, not even close. The two are utterly different players though and what McI brings to the table in the end may be worth more than 50 pt D man who still is -10. Fowler's D is worse than I thought it'd be. McI's is too though I was really beggin for tarasenko there anyway. FOwler just isn't good enough for me personally right now to call it...thougnin 2 years he likely will be while McI isn't even in the NHl yet.

Old
03-17-2011, 12:56 PM
trilobyte

I don't think it would have mattered if Toskala was in net for the Habs the last bunch of games against NYR.
So far they have had our number because they play with the speed and movement that always leaves the Rangers a step behind.

Then with the lead established the Habs go into that defensive shell and ride it out.
I hate their success with that strategy and once again I hope the Rangers can mess it up on them.
Scoring first against them would be a good start, but even that hasn't meant an awful lot in the overall result in recent history.

Old
03-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Janerixon

If there was ever a game where the rangers should come out with a quick start it's Friday. The Habs will be tired from the game before as the lightning are a fast team that like to use their speed and transition game, that should hopefully have some impact on a team that is pretty beat up now. If the rangers can jump on them fast and play smart defensively, avoid bad pinches and odd man rushes they can win. They need to get a lead early and clog the neutral zone, force the Habs to dump and chase thus negating their teams key strength, speed.

Old
03-17-2011, 02:07 PM
truebluegoalie

Marchand suspended for two games:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=358396

At what point will the NHL realize that their disciplinary system is completely jacked up?

Old
03-17-2011, 03:41 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'll have to disagree. He's MUCH more talented than Dennis Wideman. 2-3 years, he'll be putting up 50 points a season.
I'm not discounting his offense.

He's going to be just as bad defensively. Wideman is a bit more physical, though.

Old
03-17-2011, 06:41 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Great game in Columbus.

2-0 Wings. Jackets' lookin' like the Rangers right now. No finish, making Joey MacDonald look like an in his prime Dominik Hasek.

Old
03-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Janerixon

Chico is so awful, Volchenkov falls into the net and raises the net up when the Senators are shooting into an open net. The refs blow the whistle as soon as a Devil touches a puck, clearly a penalty. Chico has no clue, saying there is no penalty on the play and then, "Oh Wait... Wait, the devils are getting a penalty. Volchenkov did nothing wrong and just fell in the net." He is awful, Sens score with less than a minute yet, lets go Sens!

Shannon on St. Pattys Day!

Old
03-17-2011, 07:20 PM
darko

Not holding my breath here but wouldnt it be awesome if Sens can beat Debbies for the 2nd time in just over a week.

Old
03-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Chico is so awful, Volchenkov falls into the net and raises the net up when the Senators are shooting into an open net. The refs blow the whistle as soon as a Devil touches a puck, clearly a penalty. Chico has no clue, saying there is no penalty on the play and then, "Oh Wait... Wait, the devils are getting a penalty. Volchenkov did nothing wrong and just fell in the net." He is awful, Sens score with less than a minute yet, lets go Sens!

Shannon on St. Pattys Day!
Chico blows. Even though the penalty wasn't for that delay of game, he clearly tried pushing the net off. The net was off, though. You can see the peg behind the post.

03-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Chico blows. Even though the penalty wasn't for that delay of game, he clearly tried pushing the net off. The net was off, though. You can see the peg behind the post.
I think they called it interference. Call it delay of game, interference, or heck even unsportsmanlike conduct but it was clearly a penalty. I am not a Sam Rosen fan these days as he needs a pair of glasses and to stop adding his 2 cents, but Chico is lost. They might be better having Stevie Wonder as the analyst. In all seriousness how Daneyko hasn't gotten that job yet is odd.

Old
03-17-2011, 07:35 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Things looking good so far. Can TBL please destroy MTL? thank you

Old
03-17-2011, 07:37 PM
darko

Leafs, Debbies and Habs all losing right now

Philly tied with Thrashers.

EDIT: Thrashers just scored.

Old
03-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
I think they called it interference. Call it delay of game, interference, or heck even unsportsmanlike conduct but it was clearly a penalty. I am not a Sam Rosen fan these days as he needs a pair of glasses and to stop adding his 2 cents, but Chico is lost. They might be better having Stevie Wonder as the analyst. In all seriousness how Daneyko hasn't gotten that job yet is odd.
When Daneyko gets that job, I will start watching on their feed when they play the Islanders. I hate Butch Goering, too, but he's no where as bad as Chico.

Old
03-17-2011, 07:43 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Leafs, Debbies and Habs all losing right now

Philly tied with Thrashers.

EDIT: Thrashers just scored.
The thrashers game is a minimal bleep on our radar right now IMO. I mean i'd still love for them to lose but the other 3 matches are what matter right now

Old
03-17-2011, 07:45 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
The thrashers game is a minimal bleep on our radar right now IMO. I mean i'd still love for them to lose but the other 3 matches are what matter right now

That's true but knowing our luck they'll string 5-6 in a row and re-join the playoff race.

Closed Thread