HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

To help with the youth movement & speed up the rebuild

Old
03-17-2011, 02:45 AM
outKast*

vCash: 500
To help with the youth movement & speed up the rebuild

I think the most important things coming into next year is this:

1. We need to acquire a #1 defenseman and another dynamic young player to compliment what we've got.

2. Give me 5 good reasons why Atlanta wouldn't do Gagner for Kane? Really... why? I asked this in the summer and Gags is still outproducing Kane and they're basically the same age. However, the Oilers need a power guy like Kane more.

3. Rask.

4. Brian Lee.

SOLUTIONS

I. We should grab Brent Burns from the Minnesota Wild. What will it take? You guys decide. For now, I think he would be the #1 dman the Oilers are looking for.

To help accelerate the youth movement, we should also look to add Jeff Skinner. He would really compliment Hall and we should throw everything we have at Carolina to make this happen.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if we add Burns & Skinner, the Oilers will make the playoffs next year.

II. Gagner for Kane straight up. I've been asking for it for so long but it never happens. Why? Just do it Tambellini.

III. Trade whatever we have to Boston for Tuuka Rask. That guy is pretty good and would be our #1 goalie for many years.

IV. Cogliano for Brian Lee = no more Strudwick.

Thoughts?

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 03:18 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Gagner for Kane? Please don't post that on the trade/rumor board... that's just one hell of a nasty proposal. You'll get lynched by the Thrashers fans.

Dubnyk has had a great season and Edmonton isn't in a position to sacrifice their prospect pool at this point.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 03:21 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingStone View Post

1. We need to acquire a #1 defenseman and another dynamic young player to compliment what we've got.

2. Give me 5 good reasons why Atlanta wouldn't do Gagner for Kane? Really... why? I asked this in the summer and Gags is still outproducing Kane and they're basically the same age. However, the Oilers need a power guy like Kane more.

3. Rask.

4. Brian Lee.

SOLUTIONS

I. We should grab Brent Burns from the Minnesota Wild. What will it take? You guys decide. For now, I think he would be the #1 dman the Oilers are looking for.

To help accelerate the youth movement, we should also look to add Jeff Skinner. He would really compliment Hall and we should throw everything we have at Carolina to make this happen.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if we add Burns & Skinner, the Oilers will make the playoffs next year.

II. Gagner for Kane straight up. I've been asking for it for so long but it never happens. Why? Just do it Tambellini.

III. Trade whatever we have to Boston for Tuuka Rask. That guy is pretty good and would be our #1 goalie for many years.

Thoughts?
Brian Lee cleared waivers. How's that sound?

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 03:35 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:

3. Rask.

4. Brian Lee.

SOLUTIONS

Thoughts?
What exactly are we giving up for Skinner. Eberle? That's at LEAST what it will take, probably more. And what is "whatever we have" for Rask? Another high end prospect maybe? There's just gots ta be other options than what you are proposing.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 04:27 AM
DonovanMD

This is horrible through and through. You seem to think some of these guys are easy to acquire. I imagine this is how idiot fans of other teams talk about Eberle, Paajarvi and to a lesser extent Hall.

"You know what would really help Toronto get out of this funk and onto the rebuilding fast track? If Burke was smart he'd move Finger and a 1st for Eberle. Or Maybe Finger straight up for Paajarvi, he's almost 20 and look at those stats, we could probably get him for "something".

DonovanMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 04:41 AM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

I'm sorry RollingStone, but you really should consider stopping these proposals.

You have yet to come up with anything close to a plausible proposal.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 04:43 AM
GRIZZ

You Make Me Want To Cry @RollingStone

GRIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 05:01 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

#1 we don't need a #1 dman, we need a #2-3 shutdown guy. Not only is Whitney our clear #1, he's hands down the best player, we just need someone to help him.

#2 no way they do Kane for Gagner, we would need to include something substantial with him

#3 Dubnyk has earned the starting spot and proven he can win, why waste prospects getting another goalie?

#4 there's no need for Lee and Cogs has actually turned into a good #3 C / PK guy

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 05:18 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
Quote:

3. Rask.

4. Brian Lee.

SOLUTIONS

Thoughts?

A Rask will cost us Eberle +--Ignore Thomas's --his age is his greatest liabilty. BB's have made it clear unless you are offering blue chip prospects--you wont get Rask

B)gagner for Kane--reasons why Thrashers don't do it
1)Kane has more grit then Gagner
2)Kane's upside is greater
3)Kane is developing into a go to guy--Gagner looks to be more of the side kick on the top two line
4)Kane will be a better goal scorer
5)kane is turning into a better two way player then Gagner

c) Lee was on waivers twice

d) Top D-man? No **** really--I believe that this ENTIRE board has talked about it for two years

e) Wild fans when talking about Burns make it clear--if we want him they come back and ask for 2011 top pick. Burns is a UFA in 2 years--so I am against trading for him because he could walk and what it will cost to get him will out back the rebuild

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Atleast you didn't mention Simmonds this time.

Brian Lee was on waivers this year, the Oilers don't want him. Thanks for pretending to try.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Crobby

Crobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Quote:

3. Rask.

4. Brian Lee.

SOLUTIONS

Thoughts?
1. We will just go to the number 1 defensman store and get one. What the hell is wrong with Whitney? He was easily playing like a number 1 before he went down. We don't need to waste our assets getting one. Why trade for Burns? More than likely if he is not going to sign with Minny he will be an expensive rental for a playoff team which we are not. You might as well wait till he is an UFA

2. Why would Atlanta trade for Gagner when they essentially got 2 Gagners already in Little and Burmistrov? Not only that why would they deal a 19 year old budding power forward? FYI 21 is not 19 they are not "Essentially" the same age. Also Dudley does not like pipsqueaks who get knocked on there ass half the game so he ain't going to trade for one.

3. Boston is not going to trade Rask. He is under contract for another year and is a Fantastic backup. He is there Goalie of the future once they move Thomas or sign him for less money. What kind of trade would we have to do to get him you think? Alot.

4. Brian Lee? What is the Oiler fanbase fascination with this player? The guy sucks. We have better options in our system.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

oh look, another NHL 11 moves should work in real life thread.

Honestly, from 1-4, I don't know why other teams would make those moves.

At least freaking Simmonds isn't involved.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 08:54 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Marsh View Post
oh look, another NHL 11 moves should work in real life thread.

Honestly, from 1-4, I don't know why other teams would make those moves.

At least freaking Simmonds isn't involved.
I take it you are planning to welch on our bet?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:01 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Trade whatever for Rask? Boston gave up a calder trophy goalie for him and now Rask is actually showing he is a good goalie, it isn't going to be cheap.

To get Skinner, Burns, Rask, and Kane it's going to cost us so much and put us further back in the rebuild.

As for Brian Lee, I don't trade anything for him.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Beerfish

We need to draft a defenceman that has #1 potential that is the only way to acquire one without selling the far. We may have a #1 guy if Whitney plays like he did last year but there is no argument at all that we need upgrading on defence.

Bigger, more upside, more of a rare commodity, more toughness, he one punched Matt Cooke. There are probably more. Atlanta would laugh at you if you offered a one for one swap.

3. Rask.

Yup, what about him? Nice goalie, would like to have him but two problems. 1) To get something you have to give up something, 2) We are saddled with Khabby for a few more years.

4. Brian Lee.

The guy from Ottawa? He is not a difference maker.

SOLUTIONS

It would require a very big payment, too big.

We could get skinner from Carolina, if you want to give up Hall +

No they wouldn't because if they did that we would not have Eberle, Hall, MPS, Hemsky etc.

Thoughts?

I'm not usually this blunt to someone who has spent some time thinking about what we need but your suggestions are 100% totally unrealistic. Not from the point that the players you mention aren't nice but because there is no way we get all those guys without trading all of our young core. No way no how.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:11 AM
joestevens29

Interesting comment by beerfish in being saddled with Bulin. Does anyone think we send him to OKC next year?

Old
03-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Interesting comment by beerfish in being saddled with Bulin. Does anyone think we send him to OKC next year?
It doesn't matter, the cap hit isn't the end of the world, and him being on the team isn't the end of the world.

For all we know, he might retire this summer

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:28 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Why would we do that?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:49 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Why would we do that?
To bring in someone that could help this team going forward not hurt us?

Old
03-17-2011, 09:59 AM
MisterD

We don't have the assets to acquire a #1 Dman, at least not any assets that we're willing to part with. We need to draft and make smart trades to hopefully develop our top D pairing, and #1 goalie. Let's rather looking at signing and trading for bonafied 3rd/4th line players and a good #4 Dman.

MisterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 10:01 AM
MisterD

Quote:
I don't think there's any chance that happens. He'll be with the Oilers for the duration of that contract, which I'm fine with. Slowly start letting Dubnyk get more games, and by the final year of Khabi's contract, he'll be a good back-up/mentor.

MisterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 10:03 AM
TaylorHallFan*

Last edited by TaylorHallFan*: 03-27-2011 at 12:14 AM.
TaylorHallFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 10:12 AM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
So, Tambo trades for Burns, Kane, Rask and Skinner in the offseason?

Yeah, ok.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 10:14 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

the problem with rebuilds is that they can take painfully long before we see any actual results. being a young fan and being patient doesn't always mix very well. i'm not willing to say goodbye to Dubnyk or Eberle or Magnus or half our draft picks or junior prospects to "speed up" the rebuild. i want this team to do this thing right the first time so we don't have to do it again, at least for many years. i'd like to see us do what Detroit has done and keep themselves in the cup race year in and year out with strong drafting, strong player development, a strong minor and junior pool, and just maybe as a result of this, we might be able to sign good UFA's again and have them actually STAY here and not demand a trade!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote