HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers and Sharks - draft day

Old
03-16-2011, 08:47 AM
luiginb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I really hope I read that. I'm under the impression that you're suggesting Edmonton give up Rajala, a 2nd rounder and Omark for Setoguchi. That's just flat out insane.
You know what's insane? Couture and a 1st for Eberle

luiginb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I really hope I read that. I'm under the impression that you're suggesting Edmonton give up Rajala, a 2nd rounder and Omark for Setoguchi. That's just flat out insane.
What's flat out insane is the idea that a deal for a proven NHL player would hinge on Toni Rajala. I'd do the original deal in a heartbeat from Edmonton, throwing in Rajala really doesn't make it look any worse. I like Omark, but I think he tops out as a 2nd liner that only brings offense to the table. It hurts to lose that 2nd rounder, seeing how our 3 2nd round picks from last year are playing so well, but it's still just a 2nd round pick.

Acquiring Seto gives us 3 top 6 right wingers so one would end up having to play the 3rd line. That's a good problem to have. With all the smurfs on this team, it would be nice to have somebody with some size that throws his weight around. The fact that he's pretty well a lock for 20 goals (and has scored 30) and is only 24 certainly doesn't hurt.

Of course, I don't see the sharks making that deal so the point is moot.

Someone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
Couture and a 1st? How much better than Couture do you think Eberle is going to be?
Honestly, I think Eberle will be a slightly better offensive player, while Couture will be a better two way player. Certainly not enough to trade a first with Couture for Eberle from San Jose's perspective. But you have to remember that the Oilers have valued Eberle at around the same value as Hall, because of his clutch performances and because he is a life long Oiler fan and less likely to bolt as a free agent or ask for a trade. Its not just the on ice play at work here.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:33 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by luiginb View Post
You know what's insane? Couture and a 1st for Eberle
From San Jose's perspective, you are definetely right. From Edmonton's perspective, I'm sure it may be nuts, but necessary. They have zero interest in trading Eberle. Its not a video game, there is no numbers to put on value, and the Oilers value Eberle much higher than San Jose would, and Couture much less than San Jose would. I'm sure San Jose would want Eberle and a 1st for Couture as well. Differing opinions on values is all it is.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 12:28 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
Couture and a 1st? How much better than Couture do you think Eberle is going to be?
no one is saying Eberle is going to be the better player(someone should though ) it's how Edmonton value's Eberle, I'm sure sure some crazy Sharks fans would want one of Edmonton's 1st rounders or another player + Eberle for Couture but that's the way life is.

Both players are already impact players for each organization, so it will make for a somewhat good comparison down the road.

Last edited by lakai17: 03-17-2011 at 12:33 AM.
lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Defsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
what happens if Hemsky does stay healthy and does exceed 90 points next season?
Yeah.... right. I like idea, but chances for that to happen is something like 0,1% or less. Only sure thing is that he'll get rise after next season handed by Edmonton or someone else.

Defsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 11:26 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Seto was the 8th overall pick. why would we dump him now? hes played well enough (in stretches) this yr that he'll stay IMO.

and im not sure what DWs stance is on all Europeans. i know he hates Russians. we only have one non-NA skater on the team (Douglas Murray) and hes lived in the US since he was 18 and went to Cornell, so i dont even think he counts.

a NA defenseman/center is a more likely return.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 01:46 PM
luiginb

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
and im not sure what DWs stance is on all Europeans. i know he hates Russians. we only have one non-NA skater on the team (Douglas Murray)
I know what you're sayin', I, as well, like to pretend we don't have Wallin on the Sharks

luiginb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 04:00 PM
HighSynergy

my buddy has a man crush on seto. hed go BALLISTIC if he came to edmonton

HighSynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
To SJ: Omark, 31st overall (depending who is available)

To EDM: Setoguchi

Not sure if this would entice San Jose or not. Seto and Omark are the same age, Seto obviously the more impressive player, but:

A) Looks like Seto is a 20-20 guy without Thornton (surprise, surprise, Jumbo Joe makes his linemates better). Either way something the Oil lack, unlike the small, skilled Omark, a player the Oilers have in spades.

B) San Jose doesn't really have a very shiny prospect pool outside of Coyle and maybe Doherty. At 31 they may find a quality prospect to strengthen that OR the deal is made before the first rd and they use that pick and their 1st to get a 15-20 guy (McNeil, Puempel, Oleksiak).

C) While they aren't necessarily up against the cap, Seto will be a 2mil guy minimum next year (QO nets him a mandatory 180,000 raise), whereas Omark makes 875,000 (including rookie bonuses). Provides a little extra flexibility to a team more worried about the now.

D) Both guys may thrive in this deal. Outside of Pavelski, the Sharks are a big team up front. Omark, paired with bigger forwards, might gain that little extra time and space that makes a creative player like him that much more dangerous. Who Seto might play with on the Oil is unknown, but no matter what his combination of skating and aggressiveness would be much needed help for the few players (Hall, Jones) that actually chose to play with that type of drive.
Seto is fodder and another winger is the last thing Edmonton needs.

I'll keep the pick and continue to draft and develop.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Seto was the 8th overall pick. why would we dump him now? hes played well enough (in stretches) this yr that he'll stay IMO.

and im not sure what DWs stance is on all Europeans. i know he hates Russians. we only have one non-NA skater on the team (Douglas Murray) and hes lived in the US since he was 18 and went to Cornell, so i dont even think he counts.

a NA defenseman/center is a more likely return.
You're forgetting someone.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He'd have to be using the term "skater" extremely loosely to include the person you're thinking of.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Z-Diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
what happens if Hemsky does stay healthy and does exceed 90 points next season?
For someone who has yet to exceed a PPG pace yet?

Last edited by Z-Diddy: 08-23-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Z-Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 05:05 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
No he's not. He said skaters, Wallin can't skate.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote