HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Boyle , Moulson and Purcell

Old
03-17-2011, 11:02 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowski74 View Post
Name 3 guys on inferior teams.
Tampa Bay is an inferior team?

Boy, I tell you this is a tough crowd, a tough crowd!.

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 03-17-2011 at 11:08 AM.
DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Cammy!! OH CAMMY!!!

Sincerely,

DIEHARD the King fan

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Purcell was a system issue. I've watched him quite a bit this year and he is just so much more comfortable and confident playing there than he ever was here. This is truly one where you can say it wasn't going to work here. He was given chances but wasn't a good fit in the Lombardi/Murray system.

Boyle, meh I had hopes he could develop into a solid 3rd line center with decent hands but he never took that next step with the Kings. And as a fan, much like with Teubert, it's just very frustrating when players taken after you become impact players and you are regressing or stuck in neutral. It was time for the Kings to wash their hands.

Moulson is the one where the ball was dropped by management and coaching. MM was never given a fair shake here with regards to solid icetime or PP time and it's the Kings loss. There might be no place for the other 2, but imagine how much better this team would be with Matt Moulson as our 2nd line LW.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 03:06 PM
spudboy

Purcell could never win a puck battle. Not the kind of guy the Kings wanted. Especially, when he couldn't produce on any line. He was given chances on all 4. He has good vision and passing ability on the PP, but I still didn't miss him when he was traded.

Boyle should have been given a chance on the bottom 6. He wasn't. As soon as we voted that he should start the season as the #3 center on this board, he was traded. Still, seeing as he stunk his first season with the Rangers, he probably would have with the Kings that season, too.

Moulson was producing ok. The Kings were insisting that he improve his defense, and only played him 7 games his last season with them. Again, I think they should have given him more games, and seen what he could do. That said, it did hurt that they were lacking a scoring LW this year, but that has been filled by, IMO, a better one, in Penner.

So, now I just think that this shows the talent and depth the Kings now have. Before, former Kings ended up as 4th line scrubs on other teams for a year or two, and then out of the NHL. Where's Derek Armstrong now?

Last edited by spudboy: 03-17-2011 at 03:14 PM.
spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Moulson and Boyle had NHL spots all but wrapped up and were beaten out by Moller and Simmonds. It happens.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Mr Irreverent
Thiago who???

I'm happy for all 3 guys. I do think Purcell is going to be a great top 6 player for a number of years, but I'm happy with seeing Simmonds, Clifford and Lewis becoming integral parts of the team.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
Boyle & Purcell were giant kittens. All that size for nothing, soft in the corners, trouble winning puck battles, never used their physical tools to their advantage.

Teddy, possessing a ton of offensive ability, had trouble applying his skills correctly in the NHL. Most of Guy Boucher's critique of Purcell is essentially the same thing we've heard from the Kings, the difference is Teddy has finally got it down and is having a breakout season, playing with pretty good linemates.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Duc620

The true measurement will come in a few years when we count playoff games played in, playoff games won, goals and assists in playoff games, and finally playoff rounds won.

Good luck to them.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pain2007 View Post
Big guys like Boyle often are late bloomers, not surprised to see him improving.

Purcell got plenty of opportunity in LA, he was just so soft. Is he playing less soft in Tbay now?
TB fan popping in.

Purcell has been a great fit for us. He isn't the softest player on the team but he isn't out there throwing 15 checks a night either. Finesse and stickhandling is his game and the linemates he plays with allow him to do that. He's played with Vinny and Gagne most of the season and those two, especially Vinny, have picked up their physical play this year and Gagne is very good on the boards and corners. Leaves Teddy with space to do his thing. He's a tremendous passer which has set up quite a few goals because he threaded the needle and has a pretty good wrist shot to compliment it. As weird as it is, he's been Vinny's best linemate of the past 3 or so years since St. Louis was put on Stamkos' line. He doesn't do faceoffs and why would he when we have guys like Vinny, Moore, Thompson and Hall who are all excellent at them.

On the PP, believe it or not, he is one of the keys that makes it go. He was so awesome on the 1st unit in Vinny's absence when he was hurt that he was left on the 1st unit for awhile even after Vinny returned.

He was scratched for a game about a month ago because he started to stray away from the defensive side of things (a big no-no with Boucher) and ever since he's really hounded the puck well and has been causing some turnovers with good stick pressure.

Safe to say, he's been a pretty good find for us.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

I don't care too much about Teddy P and separate him from the other two (or more when you look into it).

MM in my opinion wasn't given the chance to play to his strengths and I will leave it at that.

Boyle did exactly what I thought he would (me and several others here). He went on to develop under better direction and with more time. He is a giant and some giants take longer to develop into their game than others.

Boyle always had the skill and I respect him for saying what he did when he left.

That said I am also happy for any player who leaves our group and makes it in the NHL. It is so ridiculously hard to even get a whiff of the big league's, My hats off to anyone who gets to wear an NHL uni even if they never get more than one shift.

Go get em Boyle and Moulson. Go get Smithson and Steckle. Go get Sim and go get em Rome you in the big league's now boys.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 05:33 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Cammy!! OH CAMMY!!!

Sincerely,

DIEHARD the King fan
That is soooooo yesterday's thread

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

From Nashville

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 06:10 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Should've drafted Eriksson instead of Boyle.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 06:19 PM
BigBrown
They did it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
Excuse me, but Moulson played 10 games with the Kings at the beginning of the 2008-09 season, then got buried in MCH. In the summer the Isles signs him and he has back to back 30 goal campaigns. We lost him for nothing and we didn't give him a proper chance, let's stop kidding ourselves. Saying that he didn't fit in our system is a freakin' joke, come on.

About Boyle and Purcell, they just failed here.
Well excuse me for not writing a paragraph regarding the special circumstances involved with Moulson. It's a complicated issue and I felt that it'd be easier to sum them up as a group instead of writing about them individually.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 07:13 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... None of the three were really given a full chance here to show what they could do. Purcell got a little more than a full season, Boyle and Moulson got less than half a season - on top of that, Boyle was averaging 10 minutes a game, Moulson about 12 and a half, and Purcell got about 11 while playing out of position to boot.

Coaches/GMs just have their favored players; it's been this way since the beginning of time. They might trot out some B.S. in training camp that "many spots on this team are open, so give it your best!" but well before that, they have a pretty good idea of who they want out there and rarely, if ever, change their minds. It's safe to say that these three guys weren't among the favored, and that the Kings misjudged their abilities. It happens.

If the Kings were a bad team right now, it would obviously be more of an issue - but they're a pretty good team with a couple young forwards ready to step in if someone gets hurt.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHoler View Post
Boyle & Purcell were giant kittens. All that size for nothing, soft in the corners, trouble winning puck battles, never used their physical tools to their advantage.
Teddy weighs maybe 180lbs. Don't look at what they list him at. He is no more than 180-185 lbs... How is that a lot of size? Fact is, these players are doing well due to the inferiority of Murrays useless PEE WEE AAA dump and chase system. They actually play hockey now and possess the puck. Not surprised they are all doing so well. Hope Murray goes before they lose all their offensive young talent... They already lost 3 big ones in this thread.
Boyle 71Games 20goals 12 A 32 Pts
Purcell 69games 16 goals 30 A 46 pts
Moulson 71games 30 goals 18 A 48 pts...
Yeah, they just didn't fit here but miraculously fit on three other teams... give me a break

Last edited by Hollywood: 03-18-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Fangio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Teddy weighs maybe 180lbs. Don't look at what they list him at. He is no more than 180-185 lbs... How is that a lot of size? Fact is, these players are doing well due to the inferiority of Murrays useless PEE WEE AAA dump and chase system. They actually play hockey now and possess the puck. Not surprised they are all doing so well. Hope Murray goes before they lose all their offensive young talent... They already lost 3 big ones in this thread.
Boyle 71Games 20goals 12 A 32 Pts
Purcell 69games 16 goals 30 A 46 pts
Moulson 71games 30 goals 18 A 48 pts...
Yeah, they just didn't fit here but miraculously fit on three other teams... give me a break
Maybe 180? how about 200..still pretty small for a 6'2-6'3 player. Regardless, I disagree with just about everything here. He had no presence in the hard areas.. played like 5'2..and couldnt win a battle and wasn't good defensively. He's been a healthy scratch a couple of times this year, but to give him credit - he's worked hard to put it together and it's paying off.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:05 AM
Hollywood

He's not close to 200 and fact of the matter is his weight doesn't matter. My point is the offense is not proper. He is the 3rd highest scorer on the 8th ranked team in the LEAGUE. Say that again!
How can you defend three prime examples of players that excel once leaving LA? It doesn't say to you that the system in LA is flawed?
These 3 guys made about 4 million this year and scored 67 goals... Just think about that...

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Fangio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
He's not close to 200 and fact of the matter is his weight doesn't matter. My point is the offense is not proper. He is the 3rd highest scorer on the 8th ranked team in the LEAGUE. Say that again!
How can you defend three prime examples of players that excel once leaving LA? It doesn't say to you that the system in LA is flawed?
These 3 guys made about 4 million this year and scored 67 goals... Just think about that...
Heh..no need to think about anything different from my end. Boyle and Purcell were soft and couldn't adjust to the pro game at the time. Don't forget they were beaten by the likes of Simmonds and Moller etc. Each had a huge wake up call this off-season and worked their ***** off, hats off to them. Move on.

Old
03-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
The Kings would have beat St. Louis at least once this year if they had these guys.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Thanks for all the feedback

Didn't mean to bring up a topic that has apparantly been talked about alot before. Was just curious given how good Moulson has performed

As I said in my original post all teams have this happen to them.

Hawks management and Fans didn't see Rene Bourque ever being what he is right now when we moved him for a 2nd round pick. Thankfully Versteeg got the open roster spot and succeeded in NHL

Some guys need a change of scenery. As an outsider I felt Boyle was a bust and Purcell a run of mil average player. I was suprised when Kings let Moulson walk without much of a look at him as I thought he had good 2nd line LW potential

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote