HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What could we get for Anisimov+Wolski?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2011, 10:08 PM
  #51
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Wow, when I was thinking of our lineup for next year, I totally forgot about Drury. He is not even on my radar anymore. Sad, but true.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 10:25 PM
  #52
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Putting Boyle ahead of Anisimov is incredibly myopic. Anisimov is better than Boyle right now. In a few years Anisimov will be far better.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 10:35 PM
  #53
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Putting Boyle ahead of Anisimov is incredibly myopic. Anisimov is better than Boyle right now. In a few years Anisimov will be far better.
At what? Thanks for the deep analysis.

Anisimov averages about 1 extra shift per game, and has about 5 extra points, while playing most of the season with superior linemates to Boyle.

And for those who say Anisimov is a great PKer, Boyle has 4 shorthanded points to Anisimov's 0. For those who say Anisimov is this great defensive center, Anisimov is a -2, while Boyle is a +3, all the while playing with Prust and a revolving door of Fedotenko, Christensen, Newbury, Drury all year, while Anisimov gets minutes with our best offensive players.

Also worth noting is almost HALF of Anisimov's points came in the first month of the season as a result of playing with red-hot Dubinsky and Callahan and getting top line minutes.

Boyle has done more with less, in my opinion, and is a better fit for this team going forward.

I really don't see anything that indicates that Anisimov will ever be a "far better" player than Boyle. It's nothing but pure hope on the part of Rangers fans who fall in love with their homegrown prospects and blindly overvalue them, because they want them to be better than they actually are.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 11:47 PM
  #54
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
At what? Thanks for the deep analysis.

Anisimov averages about 1 extra shift per game, and has about 5 extra points, while playing most of the season with superior linemates to Boyle.
You can't watch both of them and honestly say you think Boyle creates more than Anisimov does offensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
And for those who say Anisimov is a great PKer, Boyle has 4 shorthanded points to Anisimov's 0.
I wasn't aware the shorthanded points were the end all, be all of penalty killing. Do I really have to point out that the goal of PKing is to kill the damn penalty, not to put up points? You're seriously going to call Boyle a better penalty killer over four shorthanded points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
For those who say Anisimov is this great defensive center, Anisimov is a -2, while Boyle is a +3, all the while playing with Prust and a revolving door of Fedotenko, Christensen, Newbury, Drury all year, while Anisimov gets minutes with our best offensive players.
Plus minus is a meaningless statistic. Anisimov plays on the higher line, that also means he draws tougher matchups than Boyle does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Also worth noting is almost HALF of Anisimov's points came in the first month of the season as a result of playing with red-hot Dubinsky and Callahan and getting top line minutes.
Anisimov plays with Dubinsky and Callahan because he deserves to play with Dubinsky and Callahan. You can't write off Artie's points just because they came with better linemates. Anisimov creates more offense, hence he gets more offensively inclined linemates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Boyle has done more with less, in my opinion, and is a better fit for this team going forward.

I really don't see anything that indicates that Anisimov will ever be a "far better" player than Boyle. It's nothing but pure hope on the part of Rangers fans who fall in love with their homegrown prospects and blindly overvalue them, because they want them to be better than they actually are.
Anisimov is four years younger than Boyle and is outproducing him now. Boyle has had a commendable season, but who knows if he'll have another season like this? The guy looks pretty spent right now.

In another couple seasons Anisimov will likely be a 55-65 point player and Boyle will be what he is now at best. That's not blind love. It's a modest projection.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:03 AM
  #55
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,731
vCash: 910
Awards:
I don't know how anyone could point out Anisimov's early production without mentioning that Boyle has 2 goals in the last 19 games, after scoring 8 in his first 19.

Boyle has limited vision and next to zero playmaking ability. His bread and butter will continue to be banging bodies and doing hard work in front of the net. I think his upside isn't too far from what we've seen this season. I think the ideal spot for him is on the wing on a third line. Someone we can count on for 20-25 goals and solid PK work.

Anisimov needs to finish growing into his body and focus on being consistently assertive. When he gets it in his mind that he's going to go to the net, it can be very hard to stop him. He sees the ice pretty well and has shown a nice, accurate wrister. I see no reason to believe he can't become a perennial 50+ point center.

If I had to choose between Anisimov and Boyle, I'd choose Artem every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:27 AM
  #56
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,927
vCash: 500
All of a sudden we are using a forwards +/- to evaluate defensive play?

Anisimov is a better player right now than Boyle. Consider the fact that Brian has just had what is likely a career year, mixed with the fact that AA is 4 years younger, you have a situation when one player is much more expendable than the other.

Though I would be very happy to keep both.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:30 AM
  #57
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck
 
donpaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: nihon
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
I really hope we keep them both

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 01:08 AM
  #58
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
You wouldn't even consider Sidney Crosby? I'd throw in aa and not care if people think I'm insane! There's many players out there... Lets not over exaggerate. Especially for AA or Wolski.



So I can make the same argument for Colorado. I'm sure there are holes in Johnson's game somewhere. The other team is looking too get better as well. They're probably not looking at Eminger or Gilroy.
IdK what u are talking about here. Obviosuly Crosby is someone who i would trade Stall for but he would never be offered. My point is Stall should not be mentioned in trade talks esp when Stewart is the guy on the other end. MDZ, ya now thats someone u consider moving with our developing D, but Stall and MDZ are not close in value and than u run into is MDZ enough for Stewart, and than what u want to throw AA also thats crazy imo. As i said i dont care if Stewart puts up a few more goals and points than AA, imo i still would not do that trade as i kno what im getting with AA hes our guy, a Ranger so why do a risky trade like that. Stewart has only had a couple good seasons. Yes the other team is looking to get better but that doesent mean we have to get worse. Someone like Boyle i would move because hes play is much more expendable imo, thats more how u should look at trades imo. Almost like stocks.


Last edited by satrabyk: 03-18-2011 at 01:22 AM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 01:20 AM
  #59
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Boyle not only fits, but EMBODIES and EPITOMIZES the identity of this team a lottttt more than Anisimov does, in my opinion. I have more doubts about Anisimov becoming the player we all hope he will become than I do about Boyle scoring 20 again. Boyle has scored goals in so many different ways this year, that I don't think it's a fluke. He's a typical late bloomer. He's finally putting it all together, and he fits in perfectly here. He can play center or wing. He's got great chemistry with Prust and does a lot more than score goals. I think he's more valuable to this team's future than Anisimov is.

Anisimov just doesn't have the snarl / edge / go-all-out mentality that the leaders of this team do (Boyle fits in with Dubinsky, Callahan, Prust, Girardi, Staal moreso than Anisimov and I think that's an overlooked aspect of team identity / chemistry). I'm not saying Anisimov won't be successful here. I just think Boyle fits the type of gameplan and style we want to keep in the future, whereas Anisimov is a mostly non-physical, "safe" player who while smart and responsible defensively, often floats in all three zones. Boyle is more pro-active and initiates. He forces the issue. He's exactly the type of player Tortorella wants.

Ideally, I'd like to keep both of them, but if I had to choose between them, I'd choose Boyle (assuming he doesn't command a much larger cap-hit than Anisimov, of course. If that becomes the issue, then it makes too much sense to move Boyle while his value his high, but I doubt this happens. He'll be a Ranger for many years.)

I also don't see why getting Richards necessarily means that Boyle and Anisimov are forced to the third and fourth lines respectively. Anisimov can play third line center. Boyle can be moved to the wing and a guy like Werek can play 4th line C.

Wolski Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky Stepan Callahan
Boyle Anisimov Zucccarello
Fedotenko Werek Prust
Avery
Christensen

However, if Kreider, Hagelin, or Thomas force their way onto this team, then there's a logjam in the top-9.

Wolski Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky Stepan Callahan
Kreider Boyle Zuccarello
Fedotenko Anisimov Prust

The way Tortorella has rolled four lines this year, and given ice-time to Feds and Prust, I don't think Anisimov would be in danger of not getting enough ice-time, so I'd actually be fine with him playing on the "fourth" line if that becomes the reality of the situation. Boyle's done more than Anisimov this year. And for the vast majority, he's had less-skilled linemates.
This linemates think has to end. You think Torts wouldint put Boyle with Dubi and Cally if he thought the line would produce more than AA with Dubi and Cally. He has 2 eyes and can see that Boyle lacks the hockey sense and skill to compliment Dubi and Cally in the way Artie can. Artie can play with skilled guys or checkers has has both 2 his game.

I really disagree about him not being tough, i see how hard he checks Ovie everytime we play them and i love that. I just dont know why people would want to get rid of him the way he is developing.
With Boyle, yes hes scored goals but imo he does not have that talent to play on the PP or with skilled guys. If u think hes gonna score 20 again id be happy but i would have to bet against that. He scored about half his goals in the first 10 games, were games are a bit looser etc. Not to mention the kind of goals he scored are not going to go in that often, it just doesent happen. Im going on here but im on AA side lol, Boyle does have that upside. I his size is great but he just doesent use it enough and that a real problem when looking long term effectiveness. He does not bring that power forward game which would put him in my non expendable books haha.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 01:40 AM
  #60
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
You can't watch both of them and honestly say you think Boyle creates more than Anisimov does offensively.



I wasn't aware the shorthanded points were the end all, be all of penalty killing. Do I really have to point out that the goal of PKing is to kill the damn penalty, not to put up points? You're seriously going to call Boyle a better penalty killer over four shorthanded points?



Plus minus is a meaningless statistic. Anisimov plays on the higher line, that also means he draws tougher matchups than Boyle does.



Anisimov plays with Dubinsky and Callahan because he deserves to play with Dubinsky and Callahan. You can't write off Artie's points just because they came with better linemates. Anisimov creates more offense, hence he gets more offensively inclined linemates.



Anisimov is four years younger than Boyle and is outproducing him now. Boyle has had a commendable season, but who knows if he'll have another season like this? The guy looks pretty spent right now.

In another couple seasons Anisimov will likely be a 55-65 point player and Boyle will be what he is now at best. That's not blind love. It's a modest projection.
I'd say Anisimov is capable of creating more than Boyle. Has he created more than him on a game-to-game basis this year? I don't know. The point totals are close, and that reflects how I saw them play so far this year: Close.

No, I'm not just calling Boyle a better penalty killer over 4 SH points. I'm just arguing the SH points and plus/minus stats against people like you who use every possible non-negative as a huge positive for Anisimov, yet those very same attributes don't count for Boyle because he's a few years older and wasn't drafted by the Rangers. Boyle is at worst, a comparable PKer to Anisimov, and has certainly been more of a threat shorthanded than Artie. No, it's not the goal of PKing, but would you rather spend the PK in your zone and hope for a clear, or push the issue and try to create something shorthanded while the other team's guard is down? Would you rather be tied or have a 1-0 lead?

Artie isn't BAD at PKing, so that can be stretched into "he's a great PKer." Anisimov is going to continue to develop into a great player, but Boyle isn't because only players who are home-grown and younger than 26 are capable of improving their games. Boyle has no room to develop. He's just a bottom-line player who will be lucky to sniff 20 goals ever again.

Here's an interesting stat:

Before this year, Boyle had played 107 NHL games.

Before this year, Anisimov had played 83 NHL games.

That's a difference of 24 games.

This is Boyle's second full season.

This is Anisimov's second full season.

Don't tell me Boyle is what he is and doesn't get the same right to the benefit of the doubt in terms of continued development that Anisimov does. He's a few years older, but he's still in the same boat as Anisimov. They're 2nd-year players. Neither are consistently proven. Both are still young and can and likely will improve. I happen to see Boyle as a better fit for the identity of this team and the direction they're heading in. If you disagree, that's perfectly fine. But let's call a spade a spade.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 01:49 AM
  #61
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,731
vCash: 910
Awards:
Well, there's a reason that Boyle had only played 107 games coming into the season of his 26th birthday: he wasn't any good.

When he was drafted, the hope was that he'd become a top power forward in the game. Keith Primeau was a comp for him. Now, over 7 years after he was drafted, he is just now establishing himself as a regular NHL player. I think it's fair at this point to adjust expectations and lower the projections for Boyle, no? He can certainly improve his game further, but how many guys do you see make significant strides at 27? Not too many. The odds are greatly stacked against a guy like Boyle blossoming further.

Anisimov is equal or arguably better at this point and is much earlier in his development cycle. It's reasonable to expect significant improvement in his game at this point. Are people higher on him because he's one of our draft picks? Probably to an extent, and that's silly. But the silliness doesn't change the reality of the situation...the odds of Boyle getting a lot better are slim, whereas it's entirely plausible to predict continued improvement for Anisimov.

I ask you this: what areas of Boyle's game do you think he can improve upon? His vision is sub-par, and he has a complete inability to set up his teammates. Do you really see these skills developing for him at age 27? I don't. I think he'll learn to be even more assertive physically, but that's about it.


Last edited by nyr2k2: 03-18-2011 at 01:54 AM.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:04 AM
  #62
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
The reason I suggested trading AA instead of Boyle is that we can get more for him.

If you look at the original post, when AA is included, he's on the line above Boyle's.

But you can give up a third liner and an inconsistent winger for a star, that's just not enough.

But AA, WW and Tank can get us a really nice LW in return.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:20 AM
  #63
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well, there's a reason that Boyle had only played 107 games coming into the season of his 26th birthday: he wasn't any good.

When he was drafted, the hope was that he'd become a top power forward in the game. Keith Primeau was a comp for him. Now, over 7 years after he was drafted, he is just now establishing himself as a regular NHL player. I think it's fair at this point to adjust expectations and lower the projections for Boyle, no? He can certainly improve his game further, but how many guys do you see make significant strides at 27? Not too many. The odds are greatly stacked against a guy like Boyle blossoming further.

Anisimov is equal or arguably better at this point and is much earlier in his development cycle. It's reasonable to expect significant improvement in his game at this point. Are people higher on him because he's one of our draft picks? Probably to an extent, and that's silly. But the silliness doesn't change the reality of the situation...the odds of Boyle getting a lot better are slim, whereas it's entirely plausible to predict continued improvement for Anisimov.

I ask you this: what areas of Boyle's game do you think he can improve upon? His vision is sub-par, and he has a complete inability to set up his teammates. Do you really see these skills developing for him at age 27? I don't. I think he'll learn to be even more assertive physically, but that's about it.
You conveniently left out that Boyle played 4 full years of NCAA hockey. Then he played a full year in the AHL, scoring 30 and 30, before splitting the 2008-2009 season between the AHL and with the LA Kings (his second pro-season). I think that certainly the expectations of him being a first-line player have dropped. But he's scored 20 goals with 11 games left to be played in his second full NHL season, playing with mostly non-creative, grinder/checking linemates. That's nothing to scoff at.

In hindsight, Boyle probably shouldn't have spent all four years at college. He dominated much smaller competition in his own age group and younger in his final two seasons. If he had gone pro after his freshman or sophomore seasons, he may have been able to improve his skating and his game much earlier and maybe he doesn't end up getting traded to us for a mere 3rd round pick. This is only his 4th pro-season (coincidentally the same as Anisimov, despite being four years older).

The guy has just as good a chance of Anisimov at continuing to improving his game. The odds aren't against him. He's a late bloomer. Is it the most common path to success? Of course not. But that doesn't mean the odds are stacked against him. It just means he's non-typical. Look up how many guys with Boyle's ice-time, scored 20+ goals this year. If he can improve a little bit in his passing, and become even stronger at taking the puck to the net while continuing to skate and check / pressure the way he has this year, he can easily be a 25-20 guy. Now, go look up Keith Primeau's career average point totals. The expectations have certainly been lowered, but the guy has just as good of a chance as Anisimov at solidifying his spot on this team and having a successful career in the NHL.


Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 03-18-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:54 AM
  #64
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
No, I'm not just calling Boyle a better penalty killer over 4 SH points. I'm just arguing the SH points and plus/minus stats against people like you who use every possible non-negative as a huge positive for Anisimov, yet those very same attributes don't count for Boyle because he's a few years older and wasn't drafted by the Rangers. Boyle is at worst, a comparable PKer to Anisimov, and has certainly been more of a threat shorthanded than Artie. No, it's not the goal of PKing, but would you rather spend the PK in your zone and hope for a clear, or push the issue and try to create something shorthanded while the other team's guard is down? Would you rather be tied or have a 1-0 lead?
You can't use four shorthanded points over the course of a season's worth of penalty killing to make large assertions about the quality of Boyle's game. It's not statistically significant. I simply countered your claim that those four points somehow make Boyle a better PKer than Artie.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Don't tell me Boyle is what he is and doesn't get the same right to the benefit of the doubt in terms of continued development that Anisimov does. He's a few years older, but he's still in the same boat as Anisimov. They're 2nd-year players. Neither are consistently proven. Both are still young and can and likely will improve. I happen to see Boyle as a better fit for the identity of this team and the direction they're heading in. If you disagree, that's perfectly fine. But let's call a spade a spade.[/B]
If you don't understand the difference in room for development between a 22 year-old who hasn't filled out yet and a 26 year-old who likely has hit his physical prime, then we don't have a lot to discuss. It's not about AA being a "better fit for this team" whatever that means. It's about AA being a better hockey player now and in the future.

Boyle is a cycle, grind, and bang guy. That's what he is. He got better this year because he improved his skating and started throwing his body around. There's a difference between making strides in those areas though and making a leap in talent. Boyle isn't going to magically develop the skills and hockey sense of AA at age 27.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 03:37 AM
  #65
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,731
vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
The expectations have certainly been lowered, but the guy has just as good of a chance as Anisimov at solidifying his spot on this team and having a successful career in the NHL.
I agree with this statement; however, what it boils down to then (for me) is upside. I'm just not seeing it with Boyle.

The two biggest knocks on him coming into the year were that he skated like ****, and refused to use his substantial frame to his advantage. Both of those are things that can be corrected with proper coaching (to a degree). Both of those were corrected, particularly his skating. And having worked admirably on those two facets of his game, I think it's safe to project him as a guy that should score 20-25 goals on a fairly regular basis, assuming he is given decent TOI. And that's great; coupled with his defensive prowess, it makes him a valuable asset to the team.

However--his lack of vision and substandard passing ability limit what he will become, and those are two things that I don't anticipate will get any better. Endless hours of practice won't teach him to see the ice better, or suddenly establish a creative streak in him. I think his offensive acumen fits better on the wing, and anticipate him moving there eventually. He doesn't look like an NHL center, or at least a prototypical NHL center.

To say that I prefer Anisimov to Boyle is not meant in any way to disparage Boyle--I like him a great deal and am thrilled that he is turning into a solid player for us. I just don't see the room for growth in Boyle's game that I do with Anisimov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Boyle is a cycle, grind, and bang guy. That's what he is. He got better this year because he improved his skating and started throwing his body around. There's a difference between making strides in those areas though and making a leap in talent. Boyle isn't going to magically develop the skills and hockey sense of AA at age 27.
Agreed. As I said earlier, the physical deficiencies in Boyle's game have largely been addressed. Further significant development for Boyle would require a "mental" breakthrough, which is highly unlikely. He is what he is--a big, strong guy that can bang, work the crease and score you some goals.


Last edited by nyr2k2: 03-18-2011 at 03:44 AM.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 07:12 AM
  #66
Janerixon
Registered User
 
Janerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
This argument seems to have veered off track. Everyone is talking about how anisimov has better vision and has more potential upside. I don't think those points are even debatable, but what is debatable is if we sign Richards and are forced to move one of the two to gain a top line player obviously anisimov with wolski will get a better return and to trade Boyle creates a much bigger hole defensively.

Boyle will never be a top line center, his upside if he continues to improve is 2nd line center at best, as he is not much of a playmaker. Granted his wingers lack the ability to finish consistently so if he played with gaborik and prospal instead of prust, Feds, or Avery most of the season his assists may be a bit higher but that is not the main issue.

The main debate is who has more value in a trade and who do you want centering the 3rd line if we got Richards. Anisimov clearly has more value as he is younger and could become a 1st line center if he really continues to grow. Which of these two do I want going against the Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin lines... Pretty easy I want Boyle not anisimov. When people talk about artie's defensive ability they make him sound like Rod Brind'amour and how he should be a Selke candidate when this guy barely takes face-offs, is not good down low, and can be invisible for games. Boyle's offensive production has dipped, but I think like staal and girardi he has been used way too much by torts this year and is wearing down. This guy didnt think he was going to get a fair chance to make the team. He came here in great shape and the hard work paid off, but he like a lot of this team is losing steam.

Boyle embodies the black and blueshirts mentality of this team, sacrifice, playing physical, and fighting for teammates though he clearly is not a fighter. He does a lot of the little things that don't get noticed. And to the poster that says anisimov draws the teams better players to play against, that is false. At home especially torts uses boyle's line against teams top lines. Teams best defensive players usually play against gaborik and Artie played what maybe 10 games with gaborik this season.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 07:48 AM
  #67
msv957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
At what? Thanks for the deep analysis.

Anisimov averages about 1 extra shift per game, and has about 5 extra points, while playing most of the season with superior linemates to Boyle.

And for those who say Anisimov is a great PKer, Boyle has 4 shorthanded points to Anisimov's 0. For those who say Anisimov is this great defensive center, Anisimov is a -2, while Boyle is a +3, all the while playing with Prust and a revolving door of Fedotenko, Christensen, Newbury, Drury all year, while Anisimov gets minutes with our best offensive players.

Also worth noting is almost HALF of Anisimov's points came in the first month of the season as a result of playing with red-hot Dubinsky and Callahan and getting top line minutes.

Boyle has done more with less, in my opinion, and is a better fit for this team going forward.

I really don't see anything that indicates that Anisimov will ever be a "far better" player than Boyle. It's nothing but pure hope on the part of Rangers fans who fall in love with their homegrown prospects and blindly overvalue them, because they want them to be better than they actually are.
Good post. AA seemed to get a lot of points on that line with Cally and Dubinsky. Heck, any decent center playing on a line with Cally and Dubinsky will get his fair share of points. However, AA did show more than enough flashes of great plays where he has more talent than Boyle. How about getting that line back together? Boyle seems to show more heart and determination which AA may not have.

If the Rangers sign Richards, then there is huge depth at center with Richards, AA, Stepan and Boyle.... Injuries do happen in a season so more than likely (1) of these centers will be hurt during the season.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:31 AM
  #68
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^
 
Miller Time NYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 500
I really don't get the whole sell high thing with Boyle that people are mentioning. He's had one good year every other team can see that. Hes not like a guy that's been in the league for a couple years, proved himself and is having a great year thus having great value. Boyle might have good value now but it's not great, he wouldn't be the focal point of any trade, teams may want him but I highly doubt we'd get anything more than a second for him, and even then I'd rather have Boyle than some kid that might have some impact on this team in 3 years.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:51 AM
  #69
Riche16
McCready guitar god
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,663
vCash: 500
Anyone expecting Boyle to put up these numbers again next season are probably going to be disappointed. The guy has had 2 career yrs in one season.

I'd love to think he's turned a corner of some sort... But I just see some lucky/fluky goals.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 09:23 AM
  #70
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
They're not trading Anisimov.

They wouldn't trade him for Brad Richards.

They're not trading him for "a nice winger" that would be a lateral move at best.

Especially not with Kreider, Thomas, Hagelin, and Grachev in the system.

Anisimov is 22 and has more career points then 25 year old Boyle.

Not happening.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:01 AM
  #71
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^
 
Miller Time NYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Anyone expecting Boyle to put up these numbers again next season are probably going to be disappointed. The guy has had 2 career yrs in one season.

I'd love to think he's turned a corner of some sort... But I just see some lucky/fluky goals.
Boyle has overachieved this season, but everything he's done has come from hard work and effort, I think similar numbers should be expected but the way he plays and the guys he plays with like prust, if the efforts there so should the points. Plus he's not going to regress defensively. I disagree with the whole luck think.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:06 AM
  #72
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Anyone expecting Boyle to put up these numbers again next season are probably going to be disappointed. The guy has had 2 career yrs in one season.

I'd love to think he's turned a corner of some sort... But I just see some lucky/fluky goals.
Really? Are we watching the same games? I see Boyle getting scoring chances every game, despite his lack of creativity and lack of creative linemates. Boyle and Prust have created more out of nothing than Gaborik has this season. I think if he works hard in the summer, and comes back with the same attitude and work ethic he had at the beginning of this season, he is definitely capable of a 25g, 20a season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
They're not trading Anisimov.

They wouldn't trade him for Brad Richards.

They're not trading him for "a nice winger" that would be a lateral move at best.

Especially not with Kreider, Thomas, Hagelin, and Grachev in the system.

Anisimov is 22 and has more career points then 25 year old Boyle.

Not happening.
To be fair, they wouldn't trade him for a RENTAL Brad Richards. They would've easily traded Anisimov+ for a signed Richards.

I do agree that they won't be trading Anisimov+ for a winger, though. The only way I see him being traded is if he's packaged for a top-pair right defenseman to play with Staal. Like a Brent Burns or Shea Weber type. The type of d-man that could potentially do for us what Pronger did for Philly, but younger. Maybe even Zach Bogosian (who isn't on the level of Burns or Weber, but for that reason, he wouldn't cost nearly as much and could still develop into as good or better d-men than both of them) if he's available. That's the only scenario I see either one of Boyle + Anisimov moved THIS offseason / next season. Or if some elite young playmaking winger somehow becomes available, which is highly unlikely.

Staal-Burns
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-Girardi

That would be.... incredible.

For the record, I'm perfectly happy going into next with

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-McIlrath/Valentenko/Kundratek/cheap vet

Potentially 100% home-grown defense and damn intimidating.


Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 03-18-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:47 AM
  #73
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,316
vCash: 500
It's amazing how quickly people forget what Boyle did last year. Based on last year, he was looking at playing in Hartford this year. Good for him that he worked hard and improved, but then to say that he's better than AA? Come on.

If Boyle can improve that much at age 26, then what can Artie do at 22? Artie is far from a finished product, but half the people here act like he is. Haven't you guys learned anything yet? You are probably all the same ones who suggested last year that we should trade Dubinsky+ for Weiss.

I don't care who they are, no player comes into this league as a finished product. You think Stamkos isn't still learning? You think Crosby isn't? Dubinsky and Callahan have both been in the league 4 years now and they are still improving, yet Artie is done improving after 2 years?

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 11:02 AM
  #74
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
It's amazing how quickly people forget what Boyle did last year. Based on last year, he was looking at playing in Hartford this year. Good for him that he worked hard and improved, but then to say that he's better than AA? Come on.

If Boyle can improve that much at age 26, then what can Artie do at 22? Artie is far from a finished product, but half the people here act like he is. Haven't you guys learned anything yet? You are probably all the same ones who suggested last year that we should trade Dubinsky+ for Weiss.

I don't care who they are, no player comes into this league as a finished product. You think Stamkos isn't still learning? You think Crosby isn't? Dubinsky and Callahan have both been in the league 4 years now and they are still improving, yet Artie is done improving after 2 years?
Huh? I don't see anyone in this thread claiming that Anisimov is done developing. Quite the contrary. I was arguing that Boyle isn't done developing just like Anisimov isn't, and that even though Boyle's 4 years older, this is both of their second NHL seasons, and 4th full pro seasons. They're both going to continue to develop. I just happen to think Boyle fits and will fit more naturally for the identity and direction this team is heading in.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 11:30 AM
  #75
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,735
vCash: 500
I'd trade AA, but for who? Depends.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.