HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Blues - 03/17/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

vCash: 500
Seriously what is there to cheer about when you get out shot 30-6 at the end of the 2nd......30-6!!!

Old
03-18-2011, 01:43 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I will say this and only this. Those who booed tonight should hang your head in shame.

You just booed your hockey team that picked itself up from potentially missing the playoffs, became one of the best teams in the league from January forward and just came off a four game road trip and win streak. If you expect this team to play well each night, then youíre new to hockey. Some games, the team wonít have it. It happens. Itís your job to lift them up, scream, cheer, start the chants, and not behave like a bunch of spoiled little brats with too much to drink and not enough brain between the ears.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!

Old
03-18-2011, 01:43 AM
no name

I didn't even recognize who Clifford threw with. Whoever he is earned my respect. He held on to Clifford collar and pulled apllied counter weight in order to protect Cliff's head from slamming on the ice.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:44 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I didn't even recognize who Clifford threw with. Whoever he is earned my respect. He held on to Clifford collar and pulled apllied counter weight in order to protect Cliff's head from slamming on the ice.
It was a fair win for sure.

That doesn't mean that I don't want someone to take his head clean off his shoulders if he ever gets another NHL game.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:44 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
I will say this and only this. Those who booed tonight should hang your head in shame.

You just booed your hockey team that picked itself up from potentially missing the playoffs, became one of the best teams in the league from January forward and just came off a four game road trip and win streak. If you expect this team to play well each night, then youíre new to hockey. Some games, the team wonít have it. It happens. Itís your job to lift them up, scream, cheer, start the chants, and not behave like a bunch of spoiled little brats with too much to drink and not enough brain between the ears.
Wrong Zad. Sorry, but they are still potentially missing the playoffs. January forward? What was their record in January?

I don't expect them to beat Detroit every night, but I also don't expect the entire squad to play like cabbage...especially with how many games are left in the season.

So this game would be acceptable in a playoff series? Get out of here with this "hang your head in shame" hyperbole. I don't do Bronx Cheers and do not support our starting goalie getting that treatment, but this team deserved to be booed after what they showed tonight and I will not be called a bad fan by anyone, especially an ******* who got paid to watch that travesty.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:48 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I disagree with Murray. Worst performance by the team thus far this season, and it occurred on St. Patrick's day... What did he expect? The fans paid money for that game, not the previous four.

ďEvery good army needs a couple of criminals.Ē - Dean Lombardi
Old
03-18-2011, 01:50 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
It was a fair win for sure.

That doesn't mean that I don't want someone to take his head clean off his shoulders if he ever gets another NHL game.
I don't resent the opponent if a fight results in injury. I've been fighting in some fort of competative venure snce I was 8 years old and we all know what we are getting into. I appreciate that he went out of his way to keep Clifford from smashing mellon when it was clear that Kyle was on the way down. Not enough of that in the NHL now days.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:52 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Wrong Zad. Sorry, but they are still potentially missing the playoffs. January forward? What was their record in January?

I don't expect them to beat Detroit every night, but I also don't expect the entire squad to play like cabbage...especially with how many games are left in the season.

So this game would be acceptable in a playoff series? Get out of here with this "hang your head in shame" hyperbole. I don't do Bronx Cheers and do not support our starting goalie getting that treatment, but this team deserved to be booed after what they showed tonight and I will not be called a bad fan by anyone, especially an ******* who got paid to watch that travesty.
Wait, you don't think that teams have been shut out by 4-0 or worse in a playoff series and still come back to win it all? I mean when you ask if this game would be acceptable in a playoff series that is sort of what you are saying and it has happened often over the years, quite often.

Zad's point seems right to me when he says that they took themselves from being almost done to one of the top 5 teams in the NHL and third in our own conference that they have played some amazing hockey during that time span and are going to have a really bad game once in awhile.

We have different positions on whether it is right to boo your team to a victory or not but that's alright. I respect what your saying even though I disagree.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:54 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I don't resent the opponent if a fight results in injury. I've been fighting in some fort of competative venure snce I was 8 years old and we all know what we are getting into. I appreciate that he went out of his way to keep Clifford from smashing mellon when it was clear that Kyle was on the way down. Not enough of that in the NHL now days.
I agree. I too have had my share of fights though mostly through bantam and juniours in hockey and still suffer the effects of some of them. Cliffords fight was one that he entered into knowingly and in the end his opponent respected him enough to protect his head. Fair fight to me.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:56 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:

The only thing your booing did was make yourself feel better. It accomplished nothing. I would have rather heard Go Kings chants that at least may have had a chance to get the team into it. They do hear us. They do feed off us to some extent.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:56 AM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
I don't really care about the booing -- I don't agree with it but if you're gonna do it then I'll just think you're dumb and move on -- but the derisive cheers for Quick were absurd.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:58 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Wait, you don't think that teams have been shut out by 4-0 or worse in a playoff series and still come back to win it all? I mean when you ask if this game would be acceptable in a playoff series that is sort of what you are saying and it has happened often over the years, quite often.

Zad's point seems right to me when he says that they took themselves from being almost done to one of the top 5 teams in the NHL and third in our own conference that they have played some amazing hockey during that time span and are going to have a really bad game once in awhile.

We have different positions on whether it is right to boo your team to a victory or not but that's alright. I respect what your saying even though I disagree.
Would it be acceptable though? This kind of performance in a playoff series? At home?

Also, they haven't been 3rd in the conference since the start of the year and there are a myriad of teams who are right with us in the standings; as a matter of fact, we wee leapfrogged tonight.

As for disagreeing, that's cool. We can disagree but ofr the coach of this team to publicly call the fans out after that **** peformance, well, you can understand how a season seat holder would be infuriated.

I've watched a ton of TERRIBLE hockey and have happily forked over my hard earned money during this time. For this blip on the radar of Kings history to question the paying fanbase that has shelled out tons of money over numerous years to watch losing teams, well...it's completely uncalled for and I'd punch him right in his expressionless face if I could. Then he'd be correct to blame something on the fans, and that thing would be his hurt face. Not too hurt though because I'm not that strong.

Old
03-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I feel really bad for Clifford. I know he didn't get KO'd by a real heavy but this is what I was worried about at the beginning of the year when he was taking on all comers. That said he's a big boy and will come back strong.

I don't believe in booing your team. Not for any sport. Ever. Whoever booed, that is your right. But that doesn't make it right IMO. Even if this team was a pile of **** I wouldn't find it okay. It just isn't something that sits right with me personally.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:03 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
The only thing your booing did was make yourself feel better. It accomplished nothing. I would have rather heard Go Kings chants that at least may have had a chance to get the team into it. They do hear us. They do feed off us to some extent.
My booing, and the rest of the booing, let the team know that their effort was garbage.

We disagree on this subject. No worries. I just don't understand how anyone can support the head coach of a franchise that has routinely sucked ass when he *****es out the crowd following an embarassment of an effort from the team he is in charge of.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:03 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Looked like the Kings had too much green beer prior to the game.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:06 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
This might be the greatest post of all time.

Yeah bro, I'm way rich and don't work hard for the money I make. It's also really cheap to live here and I drive 80 miles round trip at over 4 bucks a gallon to see EVERY game, missing only two over ten years while also going to England and numerous Vegas games.

I way have it made and have no clue about the sport that I obsess about.

Apparently, I waist my money on the Kings as well. I always take my money, place it on my hip and then shake violently when I pay for my tickets...always waisting my money on the Kings.

By the way, these guys work their ***** off for upwards of $7 million a year, NOT FOR MY ENTERTAINMENT.

Really now, did Jack Johnson take a discount because he said that he works his ass off partially for my entertainment? "Hey Deano, I'd usually ask for $6MM per season but **** if I don't work my ass for BigKing up in 306!! His joy is worth $1.5MM so lets sign for less!!!

I'll say it again...those who aren't here every single game are always the ones who are quick to ***** about the crowd. Come on down then so all you *******s can cheer your crazy head off when there are 3 shots after 30 minutes.
That smacks of elitist b.s. "Those who aren't here every single game" blah blah blah. I had season seats and went to everything that you could possibly go to when I did but that didn't give me any right or authority to say anything about any other fan who didn't have the same opportunity.

Also I don't remember anyone saying that you should be cheering your crazy head off when they had 3 shots after 30 minutes, only that it is wrong to expect anything better to happen when you do. I also think that there is a massive difference between professional sports and any other career.

You seem to be saying that since someone is paid to play a game that they don't care at all about the environment that they play in or that they only do so for the money. If that is the case then why go see them at all and more to the point why boo or cheer or express any other emotion? I mean if all they are in it for is the money then you are really only cheering and or booing for yourself, right?

To me it does matter. To my way of thinking it is the same as you going to work and having everyone around you telling you how much you suck when you are doing your best to try and get things right 100% of the time.

YOU SUCK!!! DO YOUR JOB PERFECTLY YOU BUM!!! That's not gonna make me try harder. If its one or two people who cares but when its the mass of people who are supposed to be your fans, your extra man doing it there is no way that it is going to do anything but make you tune them out at best.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:07 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
LoLz, Helene Elliott weighs in:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,333354.column

Quote:
Murray seemed to think fans owe a blind loyalty and called the jeers "the most disappointing, frustrating thing" in a dispiriting evening. The Kings trailed, 2-0, and were being outshot, 30-6, and fans who paid good money were getting a bad performance that kept alive the fear lodged in the heart of the most optimistic among them.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:09 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Organizations don't disrespect their fans. That's a no-no. Even if Murray has a valid point, you don't say that at a press conference.

People had every right to be audibly upset tonight.

The fans cheered loudly when the Kings came on the ice to thank them for their road performance. They aren't going to cheer after one of the top 10 worst 2 period performances in the Kings 44 year history. Maybe top 5 - certainly from a stats perspective, it's right up there with "worst ever".

Anyway... like I said earlier... the game is already forgotten. They'll respond on Saturday. Hopefully.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:11 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
My booing, and the rest of the booing, let the team know that their effort was garbage.

We disagree on this subject. No worries. I just don't understand how anyone can support the head coach of a franchise that has routinely sucked ass when he *****es out the crowd following an embarassment of an effort from the team he is in charge of.
You know, I just read Murray's comments for the first time. Didn't realize he even chimed in on this topic. He should have kept his mouth shut. There was nothing to be gained by what he said.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:13 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
I agree that TM should only look in the mirror if he wants to be embarrassed. But I can't see how booing the team is going to do anything positive. Especially when we were only down two goals at the time. That was bush league to me.

I have seen that has been in a prime position to get points **** the bed like we did tonight and I agree that it is upsetting but I simply don't agree with booing the team before the end of the game ever. I also can't see how doing so is supposed to do anything but make them suck even worse.

It is a fair point you make though on how many home games they have played like they did tonight. I remember the Wings, what other game besides tonight did they play so poorly in the second half of the season? I honestly can't remember and am not being contrite.
Pretty much the entire homestand in January. The last game in St. Louis comes to mind as well.

They haven't been very good at home since starting the season on fire. They salvaged the season with the huge road trip in February after crapping the bed in January at home. Before this 4-0 road trip, they choked away a game to Dallas.

When I'm told I am doing something wrong, I attempt to do it correctly. Booing a team after putting up 7 shots against a bottom feeder is not the end of the world. You come out in the 3rd period and set the world on fire, not roll over and wait until the postgame interview to partially blame the loss on the fans.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:13 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Looked like the Kings had too much green beer prior to the game.
I didn't drink a single beer today. The loss is my fault.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:15 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Would it be acceptable though? This kind of performance in a playoff series? At home?

Also, they haven't been 3rd in the conference since the start of the year and there are a myriad of teams who are right with us in the standings; as a matter of fact, we wee leapfrogged tonight.

As for disagreeing, that's cool. We can disagree but ofr the coach of this team to publicly call the fans out after that **** peformance, well, you can understand how a season seat holder would be infuriated.

I've watched a ton of TERRIBLE hockey and have happily forked over my hard earned money during this time. For this blip on the radar of Kings history to question the paying fanbase that has shelled out tons of money over numerous years to watch losing teams, well...it's completely uncalled for and I'd punch him right in his expressionless face if I could. Then he'd be correct to blame something on the fans, and that thing would be his hurt face. Not too hurt though because I'm not that strong.
I am sure that I said since January and not since the start of the year. And yes, it has happened and worse in playoff series and I don't remember all too often a team being booed off the ice by their fans down two after two periods (or 3 but the booing started after the second goal).

I agree with your frustration towards TM but then would only add that you take it out on him in particular. As it is the fans tonight only gave TM more space to try and say that it wasn't him it was everyone and how terrible we were as fans.

To your final point it doesn't matter that you have paid any amount of money, a fan is a fan is a fan and that is always hard to hear but its just true. As a season ticket holder you do have a louder voice then those who aren't and I would absolutely do what you have said that you would and call your rep and anyone else who'll listen and let em know that your seat(s) are in play for next season. At the very least they will have to listen.

As for punching TM in the face I know that you wouldn't. It would be like beating up your grandfather and what fun is there in hitting someone who turtled the moment you lifted your hand up? TM was a bad hire and I have said so from the start but tonight won't be taken as a sign of the fanbase showing how sick they are of TM. It will be taken in the way that TM said and that is where it becomes more of a problem to me.

I don't want to give that guy any reason to be able to dodge the blame for being outcoached when it happens. And the team itself doesn't deserve to be booed going into the 3rd period ever in my opinion.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:16 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Organizations don't disrespect their fans. That's a no-no. Even if Murray has a valid point, you don't say that at a press conference.

People had every right to be audibly upset tonight.

The fans cheered loudly when the Kings came on the ice to thank them for their road performance. They aren't going to cheer after one of the top 10 worst 2 period performances in the Kings 44 year history. Maybe top 5 - certainly from a stats perspective, it's right up there with "worst ever".
Bingo. Bango. Bongo.

Quote:
I agree with you, in a sense, but it is like asking for utopia - there's always going to be some element out there that prevents it from coming to fruition. There is only one probable reaction to a night like this, no matter what logic you apply to it, enough people are going to react, in unison, the same way.

I agree that after the second period, there should be more support for a rally, but I disagree with any argument of there being no booing after the game. There should be no reinforcement given to such a negative performance. Even though, in the grand scheme of things, our world isn't crashing down and we are still in good position. You can't take a night off, at any point, during this stretch and it should never be applauded or cheered.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:18 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
That smacks of elitist b.s. "Those who aren't here every single game" blah blah blah. I had season seats and went to everything that you could possibly go to when I did but that didn't give me any right or authority to say anything about any other fan who didn't have the same opportunity.

Also I don't remember anyone saying that you should be cheering your crazy head off when they had 3 shots after 30 minutes, only that it is wrong to expect anything better to happen when you do. I also think that there is a massive difference between professional sports and any other career.

You seem to be saying that since someone is paid to play a game that they don't care at all about the environment that they play in or that they only do so for the money. If that is the case then why go see them at all and more to the point why boo or cheer or express any other emotion? I mean if all they are in it for is the money then you are really only cheering and or booing for yourself, right?

To me it does matter. To my way of thinking it is the same as you going to work and having everyone around you telling you how much you suck when you are doing your best to try and get things right 100% of the time.

YOU SUCK!!! DO YOUR JOB PERFECTLY YOU BUM!!! That's not gonna make me try harder. If its one or two people who cares but when its the mass of people who are supposed to be your fans, your extra man doing it there is no way that it is going to do anything but make you tune them out at best.
It's not elitist BS but fact: the ones how chirp about Staples being a ****** crowd are mainly those who don't go to the game. The criticism seems to be stronger the farther away from LA the person lives since they'd love to be able to go to a game.

You and I are different: I will boo when deserved and you feel it is an excercise in futility. That's perfectly fine but I am not being an elitist in any way and I will not be accused as such.

Also, a "boo" does not mean "YOU SUCK!!! DO YOUR JOB PERFECTLY YOU BUM!!!". Tonight, it meant "DO YOUR JOB AT LEAST HALF RIGHT!!"

Old
03-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
I didn't drink a single beer today. The loss is my fault.

Closed Thread