HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers diving is out of control

Old
03-18-2011, 12:44 AM
heksagon

vCash: 500
Leino was a diver in Finland also where diving is rare. I hope he stops doing it and just plays good hockey. He's one of my favourite players in the whole NHL, but that needs to stop.

heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:53 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

that is disgracefull by Leino.was there one by Carcillo as well?

diving just outright pisses me off.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 01:31 AM
Flyersfan139

Meh whatever all teams have divers. If you want it to stop the NHL should start punishing it more harshly but it is hard to call.

Blatant dives like the Carcillo one posted in this thread should be suspendable imo.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 05:04 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Watch further than the ball punch, it looks like he has his skate taken out as well, which is why he went down.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 05:13 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Watch further than the ball punch, it looks like he has his skate taken out as well, which is why he went down.
He looks like a soccer player throwing his arms up in the air like that, trying to draw attention and a penalty... a.k.a. diving.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 05:35 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
He looks like a soccer player throwing his arms up in the air like that, trying to draw attention and a penalty... a.k.a. diving.
Actually, that's called embellishment. Yeah, he gave it a little extra. Yes, embellishing is stupid. That doesn't mean a sack-tap doesn't hurt.

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 05:39 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholm Syndrome View Post
Actually, that's called embellishment. Yeah, he gave it a little extra. Yes, embellishing is stupid. That doesn't mean a sack-tap doesn't hurt.
Sack-tap eh?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 05:48 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

The whining vaginas on this board are out of control.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 05:53 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Diving sucks, makes the players look like big vaginas, but it is no surprise that Briere , Carcillo, and Leino dive.

I do think Leino got hit in the cup though, but he didn't have to throw his arms up.
Even though Briere dives, he is still much more skilled than the other 2. I mean, even some of the best players dove. It's sickening, but if you can sell it, you did your job.

Old
03-18-2011, 05:56 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I like Briere and Leino, I'm just saying they are divers.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 05:58 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I'm sure most NHLers have dived at least once in their careers. I guess it's just becoming part of the game, but thank god it's no where near the head-hunting stuff going on. One ruins games, the other ruins careers.

Head hunting is by far worse, but just saying, even diving is subtly dirty.

Old
03-18-2011, 06:03 AM
HoverCarle*

Head Hunting has nothing to do with diving.

There is a diving penalty, so it shouldn't "be part of the game". I think it's just hard for refs to tell if someone is diving in full speed, live action

Old
03-18-2011, 07:20 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
When was the last times your arms shot up in the air when you got hit in the balls?
LOL

If this forum had a Hall of Fame, that sentence would be in it.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:05 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
The diving call on Briere last Saturday vs. Atlanta was ********. He goes down and got right up. There was zero embellishing.

Players falls down all the time. It's apparently that a lot of people in this thread don't have center ice. I think a lot of it is just skating hard and losing an edge too, whether it be from just some form of contact with an opposing player or a legit penalty. It happens when you have two knives strapped onto your feet and you've playing on a sheet of ice.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:09 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
The diving call on Briere last Saturday vs. Atlanta was ********. He goes down and got right up. There was zero embellishing.

Players falls down all the time. It's apparently that a lot of people in this thread don't have center ice. I think a lot of it is just skating hard and losing an edge too, whether it be from just some form of contact with an opposing player or a legit penalty. It happens when you have two knives strapped onto your feet and you've playing on a sheet of ice.
Either way Briere does dive from time to time. Carcillo embellishes a lot.

Old
03-18-2011, 08:14 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Either way Briere does dive from time to time. Carcillo embellishes a lot.
Oh I'm not saying they don't. But to say it's "out of control?" In comparison to what? Because if it's comparison to the average of the league, I'd say the Flyers about even.

Hartnell falls down a lot, for instance. But so does Malkin, but I don't hear Pens fans complaining about it being out of control. It's an obvious repercussion of skating hard. I'm sure you're aware of this though.

Old
03-18-2011, 08:17 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
It sorta makes it hard for us to talk crap on the penguins with their diving now because the flyers dive so much now. Briere, Leino and Carcillo are terrible with that. Leinos are the worst though because you can just throws his arms all over every time. I think Carcillo does it just to try and make the other team mad half the time then laugh in their face if it gets called.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:17 AM
HoverCarle*

Yeah this game was just a weird one since there were about 3 or 4 dives, I guess that sets people's vagin-o-meter off

Quote:
It sorta makes it hard for us to talk crap on the penguins with their diving now because the flyers dive so much now. Briere, Leino and Carcillo are terrible with that. Leinos are the worst though because you can just throws his arms all over every time. I think Carcillo does it just to try and make the other team mad half the time then laugh in their face if it gets called.
It's still worse when Crosby dives, as he has probably the strongest legs in the league

Old
03-18-2011, 08:31 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:

Honestly, I thought it was a dive. Briere was clearly interfered with and tripped up, but he threw his head backwards on the way down. He does it constantly. Just my 2 cents. You were already falling, no need to embellish with the head.

Quote:
Oh I'm not saying they don't. But to say it's "out of control?" In comparison to what? Because if it's comparison to the average of the league, I'd say the Flyers about even.

Hartnell falls down a lot, for instance. But so does Malkin, but I don't hear Pens fans complaining about it being out of control. It's an obvious repercussion of skating hard. I'm sure you're aware of this though.
Hartnell falls down a lot not because he's trying to get a call but because he just falls down a lot. I love how much he falls. I find it amusing. And you're right, it's a repercussion of his effort and throwing his weight around.

Overall, I hate diving. It makes me think of soccer players and it drives me crazy.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:41 AM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Honestly, I thought it was a dive. Briere was clearly interfered with and tripped up, but he threw his head backwards on the way down. He does it constantly. Just my 2 cents. You were already falling, no need to embellish with the head.

Hartnell falls down a lot not because he's trying to get a call but because he just falls down a lot. I love how much he falls. I find it amusing. And you're right, it's a repercussion of his effort and throwing his weight around.

Overall, I hate diving. It makes me think of soccer players and it drives me crazy.
I think there's an important distinction between diving and embelleshing. What Briere did in the first Thrashers game wasn't a dive imo. He was legitimately sent to the ice because of the contact. If he flailed a little bit extra on the way down, I don't usually have a problem with that unless it's really blatant. I thought that Little took a dive later in the same game- that one wasn't called and we gave up a pp goal.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:46 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
I think there's an important distinction between diving and embelleshing. What Briere did in the first Thrashers game wasn't a dive imo. He was legitimately sent to the ice because of the contact. If he flailed a little bit extra on the way down, I don't usually have a problem with that unless it's really blatant. I thought that Little took a dive later in the same game- that one wasn't called and we gave up a pp goal.
On top of that, like I mentioned before, he got right back up and tried to get right back into the play. No laying down like "why no call?" and such, regardless of it was embellishing, he showed that staying in the play was more important than drawing a penalty. And they still called him for it.

Old
03-18-2011, 09:12 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
Quote:
On top of that, like I mentioned before, he got right back up and tried to get right back into the play. No laying down like "why no call?" and such, regardless of it was embellishing, he showed that staying in the play was more important than drawing a penalty. And they still called him for it.
Ok I can acknowledge a definite disction between a dive and an embellishment but it accomplishes the same thing. I don't think one is more acceptable than the other; and neither does the league.

Rule 64.1
Quote:
Diving / Embellishment – Any player or goalkeeper who blatantly
dives, embellishes a fall or a reaction, or who feigns an injury shall be
penalized with a minor penalty under this rule.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 09:23 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Ville got punched near the groin, and his skate did get tangled with the Hamburglar.... But, Ville threw his arms up in the air like a big sissy.

Maybe that play is a microcosm of what is wrong with the Flyers at them moment...

Also, why would a team with an awful PP try to draw penalties? They should be doing everything they can to stay 5 on 5.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 09:32 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
Ville got punched near the groin, and his skate did get tangled with the Hamburglar.... But, Ville threw his arms up in the air like a big sissy.

Maybe that play is a microcosm of what is wrong with the Flyers at them moment...

Also, why would a team with an awful PP try to draw penalties? They should be doing everything they can to stay 5 on 5.
I guess the Flyers are resorting to "waiving their hands in the air..like they just don't care."

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 09:40 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Worst thing about diving in the NHL is when they call both penalties. Not that it can't happen that there is a dive and a penalty, but in the last few years I have only seen a handful of diving get called on its own. Which is what I think part of the problem is. If the refs called diving every time they saw it and not just the worst of the worst, the dives will become less frequent. In theory, anyway.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote