HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Powerplay

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2011, 08:11 AM
  #1
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
The Powerplay

How can this atrocious Powerplay be remedied? Wiz with Subban seemed to work well when we concentrate on offense from the point. But something needs to be done. Any ideas?


My Idea: What about giving the Umbrella Powerplay a try? Works for Tampa Bay! When Plekanec gets back:


Umbrella Wave #1:

Tomas Plekanec up top, running the show
Left-handed Mike Cammalleri on the right, hammering pucks on net
Right-handed PK Subban on the left, hammering pucks on net
David Desharnais down low, retrieving pucks and creating from down low
Andrei Kostitsyn in front of the net, picking up rebounds, tipping shots, screening the goalie


Umbrella Wave #2:

Roman Hamrlik up top, running the show
Left-handed Benoit Pouliot on the right, hammering pucks on net
Right-handed James Wisniewski on the left, hammering pucks on net
Brian Gionta down low, retrieving pucks and creating from down low
Lars Eller in front of the net, picking up rebounds, tipping shots, screening the goalie


These are just templates, we could try Yannick Weber on the left, Wisniewski up top, Kostitsyn on the right etc etc.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:14 AM
  #2
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Go test it in EHM 2007. It should tell you accurately if it will work.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:14 AM
  #3
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,360
vCash: 500
Believe it or not the guy I miss the most on the pp besides Markov of course is Darche. Guy goes in front of the net, gets in the goalies way and picks up the garbage, most players on this team are a little afraid of getting their nose dirty while Darche isn't

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:26 AM
  #4
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man
 
Dirty Danglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Believe it or not the guy I miss the most on the pp besides Markov of course is Darche. Guy goes in front of the net, gets in the goalies way and picks up the garbage, most players on this team are a little afraid of getting their nose dirty while Darche isn't
Patches was that guy with more talent lol

Dirty Danglez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:27 AM
  #5
ScopeHockey
Registered User
 
ScopeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
To be clear, Tampa's powerplay is not an umbrella power in the conventional sense. Umbrella powerplays are typically a result of a rotation of the typical box-plus-1 PP, where the D slides down, the other D moves to the middle, and the half board forward moves up a little.

Boucher's powerplay is very unconventional because the D in the middle actually goes into the slot. It's kind of weird and really all it does is creates movement and confusion. It can be effective though, but really, when you look at Ellis-Subban-Eberle-Hodgson-Tavares and Stamkos-Lecavalier-St.Louis-Gagne-ANYONE, those combination produced because of the skills of the players in my opinion.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:39 AM
  #6
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,229
vCash: 1707
dd has proven that he can stand in front of the net.

or has everyone forgotten where he scored half of his goals?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:44 AM
  #7
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,050
vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
How can this atrocious Powerplay be remedied? Wiz with Subban seemed to work well when we concentrate on offense from the point. But something needs to be done. Any ideas?

If the 7th overall power play is atrocious (your word not mine) then what adjective would you use to describe 8 to 30?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:45 AM
  #8
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,087
vCash: 500
Scott Gomez has 16 powerplay points, tied for the team lead. Yup, he has no spot on the powerplay.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...scoringLeaders

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:46 AM
  #9
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score
 
Madam Kadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Scott Gomez has 16 powerplay points, tied for the team lead. Yup, he has no spot on the powerplay.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...scoringLeaders
He also has a bad shot and has only 4 more points than Matt Cooke.

Madam Kadri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:49 AM
  #10
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
He also has a bad shot and has only 4 more points than Matt Cooke.
And Cammalleri has less goals than David Moss, what's your point?

Gomez has 16 powerplay points, try and spin that how you like, it doesn't change the fact.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:51 AM
  #11
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score
 
Madam Kadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
And Cammalleri has less goals than David Moss, what's your point?

Gomez has 16 powerplay points, try and spin that how you like, it doesn't change the fact.
That's cuz he's shoved in there be default, not by any sort of merit.

Madam Kadri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:56 AM
  #12
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
And Cammalleri has less goals than David Moss, what's your point?

Gomez has 16 powerplay points, try and spin that how you like, it doesn't change the fact.
I agree. Gomez should get PP time... it's the ES time that should be taken away from him.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:59 AM
  #13
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
That's cuz he's shoved in there be default, not by any sort of merit.
That's the best explanation you've got for him leading the team in PP points? Really? That he'll automatically pick up points just because he's there?

I think I'm done here.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 11:03 AM
  #14
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,050
vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Scott Gomez has 16 powerplay points, tied for the team lead. Yup, he has no spot on the powerplay.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...scoringLeaders
That stat would make better sense if you have a point per PP minute played.

AK who has probably played half the PP minutes that Gomez has, shows up with 10 points - 6 less than Gomez.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 11:49 AM
  #15
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
That's the best explanation you've got for him leading the team in PP points? Really? That he'll automatically pick up points just because he's there?

I think I'm done here.
Yeah but how many of those PP points looked something like this probably:

Gionta

Assisted by Wizniewski, Gomez

Meanwhile Gomez probably had nothing to do with a sweet pass/shot Wiz made that Gio converted.

I used to be a huge Gomez defender, and I know if our PP had Markov, Gomez would be better. He and Gomez definitely had chemistry. But let's stop making all these ******** excuses for the guy.

I could live with 55-60pt production. The dude is an offensive void for a 7.5 million dollar player. Anybody they pair with the guy turns cold even from having been on fire.

I want Gomez to succeed here, because unlike a lot of other fans I realize he isn't going anywhere. But **** there really is no defending him this season. I tried to earlier on but you know what there's absolutely no excuse aside from nagging injury, that he's been this awful.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:08 PM
  #16
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score
 
Madam Kadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
That's the best explanation you've got for him leading the team in PP points? Really? That he'll automatically pick up points just because he's there?

I think I'm done here.
Oh, somehow 16 power play points is actually good for a supposed elite passer and skater? Check out Kovalev's stats a few years back. He scored over 30 that season.

Madam Kadri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:24 PM
  #17
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,173
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yeah but how many of those PP points looked something like this probably:

Gionta

Assisted by Wizniewski, Gomez

Meanwhile Gomez probably had nothing to do with a sweet pass/shot Wiz made that Gio converted.

I used to be a huge Gomez defender, and I know if our PP had Markov, Gomez would be better. He and Gomez definitely had chemistry. But let's stop making all these ******** excuses for the guy.

I could live with 55-60pt production. The dude is an offensive void for a 7.5 million dollar player. Anybody they pair with the guy turns cold even from having been on fire.

I want Gomez to succeed here, because unlike a lot of other fans I realize he isn't going anywhere. But **** there really is no defending him this season. I tried to earlier on but you know what there's absolutely no excuse aside from nagging injury, that he's been this awful.
Not that I buy into the concept of primary assists being that much more valuable than secondary ones or even the idea that I should be defending Gomez here, but the majority of his assists (both on the PP and overall) are primary.

Roughly 62% in each category, as it were.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 01:21 PM
  #18
haburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 953
vCash: 500
there s nuthin wrong with our pp.an our pk is solid too.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:50 PM
  #19
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,625
vCash: 515
why not try gill in front of the net to screen the goalie

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.