HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#70: Flyers @ Thrashers - Thursday, Mar. 17, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
03-18-2011, 12:38 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 500
Missed this one, did we play bad? How'd Boucher do?

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:41 PM
duffy9748

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Sadly the "rough little patch" has been going on for around 2 months. Thats alittle more then little.
Is there a team in the east who hasn't struggled for a long stretch of games?

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:44 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
In general, I agree 100% with Holmgren's determination to not put a star or even an above-average G in nets. The Emery injury, though, was impossible to see coming; most thought that if Emery failed, it would be further to flaming out over work ethic as with what happened in Ottawa. As well, Bobrovsky was a happy surprise that just managed to save Holmgren's much larger miscue of overpaying for the mediocre and seriously injured Michael Leighton based on his hit-and-miss contribution to the magic of SC Playoffs 09-10. Few expected Bob to grab the #1 slot right out of training camp.
Let me get this straight---you agree 100% with Holmgren's decision "not to put a star- OR EVEN AN ABOVE-AVERAGE G IN NETS?"

Really?

Also, why, in your opinion, was Emery's disorder not forseeable? It was caught early on after a few simple mandatory tests were done before he was to have surgery for an abdominal tear as I understand it.

As regards to the Leighton signing, I'm not sure if Isaac Newton could figure it out. Another team's dump who gets picked up by Holmgren, catches lightning in a bottle in the playoffs until the SC finals where he promptly posts a 3.96 GAA and a save percentage of .876, gets pulled in two of those games by the way. Loses the Stanley Cup on our home ice on one of the worst goals ever witnessed by man since his creation in the garden of eden.

Holmgren then signs him to a big (for Leighton) contract. Has surgery, comes back for one game, then Holmgren promptly waives him.

As for Bob, once again, no one knows what to expect from him once the playoffs roll around. If we have to go with Bouch well then we're stuck with a guy who's best days are behind him as our starter.

As of right now, I cannot see this team winning the Cup. I put the blame solely on Holmgren's shoulders.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:51 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Missed this one, did we play bad? How'd Boucher do?
Boucher was ****ing ****

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:07 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

I believe it was back in early December when I said to myself, "Self", I said, "Let's not trim our beard until the Flyers earn a shutout."

yeah.......

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Funny how quick people will turn on a team once they hit a little rough patch. It's not as if the players don't know they aren't getting the job done. They have been in first place since the beginning of January. Give them some time to work out of this rut and they'll be fine going into the playoffs.

There's too much leadership spread throughout this team for them to collapse and lose in the first round.

In another thread, someone posted that this team didn't have any heart. Give me a break.
Dude, let's break this down.

2007-08- Stevens gets hired, players overachieve and make it to the ECF's with true heart and determination. During the season they suffered a 10 game losing streak. Upsets of Caps and Habs ends with against an better Pens team.

2008-09- Team loses last game of the season, losing home ice in a pivotal matchup against the Pens, after being up 3-0 in 2nd period they fall 5-3 and are eliminated in game 6. Offseason they go out and get Pronger to help stabilize the locker room.

2009-10- Flyers make it into the playoffs on last day of season in a shootout(yes a shootout) after their loyal coach gets fired and a season of inconsistency seems to be the continuing problem with this team. They become the first team since expansion to make it to the SCF's after being a #7 seed, but fall to a superior, deeper Hawks team after defense runs out of gas.

2010-11- Flyers picked to win. Spend most of the season at the top of the EC but around the Christmas break the team seems to go back to their inconsistent ways, losing leads, not finishing teams off, getting sloppy in their team play, working more as individuals. Goaltending still an issue.

Go back two weeks. Coach calls himself out for being too tough on the team, not Laviolette's style BTW, trying to concede that maybe he needs to give the players some rest. Since then he has cut back on the practices. Since then the lackluster play has continued and the leaders on the team are calling for more 6o minutes efforts and to keep with good habits and not bad habits which seem to be affecting this teams efforts.

This is not about a bad patch it is about a team who has developed bad habits, blamed the coach, and now is set up to be a 2nd round exit if they do not get their heads on the same page.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 07:42 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Let me get this straight---you agree 100% with Holmgren's decision "not to put a star- OR EVEN AN ABOVE-AVERAGE G IN NETS?"

Really?

Also, why, in your opinion, was Emery's disorder not forseeable? It was caught early on after a few simple mandatory tests were done before he was to have surgery for an abdominal tear as I understand it.

As regards to the Leighton signing, I'm not sure if Isaac Newton could figure it out. Another team's dump who gets picked up by Holmgren, catches lightning in a bottle in the playoffs until the SC finals where he promptly posts a 3.96 GAA and a save percentage of .876, gets pulled in two of those games by the way. Loses the Stanley Cup on our home ice on one of the worst goals ever witnessed by man since his creation in the garden of eden.

Holmgren then signs him to a big (for Leighton) contract. Has surgery, comes back for one game, then Holmgren promptly waives him.

As for Bob, once again, no one knows what to expect from him once the playoffs roll around. If we have to go with Bouch well then we're stuck with a guy who's best days are behind him as our starter.

As of right now, I cannot see this team winning the Cup. I put the blame solely on Holmgren's shoulders.
Sorry, yeah, I meant I agree that he is determined not to, not that I agree with his thought process. I knew what I meant, at least.

Re: Emery, when he was courted and signed by Holmgren, his only injury history -- except for missing a few games with a wrist injury -- was inflammation of the ego and a broken work ethic.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Mike2000z28

Gotta get rid of Versteeg. We need a decent goalie and not a washed up one, get rid of a few players or don't sign them and sign a goalie at 5mil a year or something. Every game and i mean every game we let up at least 1 soft goal if not 2. The Team defense has sucked with pretty much everything else. Its the same game every game. We just struggle to play any team for the past few 2 1/2 months. Everyone was like ahh its just a bad stretch, bla bla bla. A bad stretch working on almost 3 months? The worst part is this will be such an epic failure because of how the season started and how it will end. The way they are playing, its looking like a first round sweep and thats not even being negative but realistic. We are going to drop in the standings soon, possibly to 3rd place.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote