HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wick and Hale up

Old
03-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Pilgore88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
It really doesn't make sense Ski, he isn't going to be in Ottawa next year so there really isn't a big decision to make.
Why is that? there are likely anywhere from 3-5 forward spots open next year, say we sign 2 UFA forwards, most likely to be bottom 6ers, we still need ~3 forwards. He would be battling out with Greening, Condra, O'brien, Silfverberg (whom will be in Sweeden if I were a betting man, which I am....) and our first round pick. None of these guys looked great in their first call up, but stepped up in their recent call ups. Why dont we give Wick a shot over the next while, if he does well we see what to do.

It seems people are quick to pencil some players (Greening, Condra, etc.) into the line-up, and some even top 6. In my opinion, both these guys will be in the line-up next year, but am not expecting anything big from them (30 points even), as I think they are in the same posistion a guy like Bozak was in last year.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 01:29 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Why is that? there are likely anywhere from 3-5 forward spots open next year, say we sign 2 UFA forwards, most likely to be bottom 6ers, we still need ~3 forwards. He would be battling out with Greening, Condra, O'brien, Silfverberg (whom will be in Sweeden if I were a betting man, which I am....) and our first round pick. None of these guys looked great in their first call up, but stepped up in their recent call ups. Why dont we give Wick a shot over the next while, if he does well we see what to do.

It seems people are quick to pencil some players (Greening, Condra, etc.) into the line-up, and some even top 6. In my opinion, both these guys will be in the line-up next year, but am not expecting anything big from them (30 points even), as I think they are in the same posistion a guy like Bozak was in last year.
If we sign UFA bottom 6er's im going to shoot myself. We already have atleast 8 guys going into next year who play the bottom 6 role. We're missing like 3-4 top 6 forwards, and have like 8 bottom 6 guys...why would we add more?

Our list of bottom 6 players going into next year:

Neil
Foligno
Regin
Winchester
Shannon (if re-signed)
Smith
Butler (until he earns a top 6 spot)
Condra
Greening
Obrien
silfverbeg

Top 6 guys:
Spezza
Alfredsson (and that's debatable depend on how he recovers)
Michalek

Soooo why would we sign bottom 6 when we have enough guys competing for those spots to give us a good bottom 6. If anything, we need 3 maybe 4 top 6 forwards.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
If we sign UFA bottom 6er's im going to shoot myself. We already have atleast 8 guys going into next year who play the bottom 6 role. We're missing like 3-4 top 6 forwards, and have like 8 bottom 6 guys...why would we add more?
It's not the fact that we want to sign more, but more-so the fact that with the small number of top 6 UFA's, and the "undersirable" situation Ottawa is in, the top 6 UFA's will likely be gone to other, more desirable locations. We will likely be signing some people, such as the leafs did with Macarthur, who are not top 6 players, but will be given the chance here in Ottawa. We will have maybe one prosect who can jump into a top 6 role, excluding Butler whom I have in there, and thats if everything works out for our first round pick.

Of course this is assuming we dont want to throw a guy like Greening, or Foligno, or Condra in the top 6, pretty much solidifying another lottery pick next year, which is reasonble to believe.

Old
03-17-2011, 01:41 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
It's not the fact that we want to sign more, but more-so the fact that with the small number of top 6 UFA's, and the "undersirable" situation Ottawa is in, the top 6 UFA's will likely be gone to other, more desirable locations. We will likely be signing some people, such as the leafs did with Macarthur, who are not top 6 players, but will be given the chance here in Ottawa. We will have maybe one prosect who can jump into a top 6 role, excluding Butler whom I have in there, and thats if everything works out for our first round pick.
Then we might as well not sign anyone. I would rather undeservedly give butler,regin, or foligno a top 6 spot before we sign some 30 year old career 3rd/4th liner and put them on the second line.

Realistically, our forwards are verrryyy ******. We have to improve through trade/draft if no Solid top 6 UFAs are available.

The last thing you wanna do is give our young players icetime away to old UFAs who aren't even good.

If we're to be a good team though, we cannot, i repeat, cannot just give top 6 minutes right away to guys like butler,foligno, regin...they have to earn it being offensive on the third and 4th lines like spezza,havlat, vermette etc all had to do. Spezza put up 55 points on the fourth line before he got top 6 minutes. Havlat was a point a game on the third line before moving up to the second. Vermette progressed from the 4th, to third, to second.

If we want to develop these guys properly, butler, silfverberg and any other young guy needs to learn to play defensively sound on the third/4th lines and prove they have offense before they move up the depth chart. That's how all the good 2-way teams do it.

But now if we have no choice and only have 2-3 top 6 forwards, i would rather give the young guys ice time to improve over signing some aging bum. But then again...until we get those 3-4 top 6 forwards, we'll won't be competing for the cup any time soon.

If we had it my way...our third line would be foligno-regin-butler... Neil, smith, and someone else would make up the 4th line...with 3 UFA top 6 forwards added to michalek,spezza,alfredsson.

Old
03-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Then we might as well not sign anyone. I would rather undeservedly give butler,regin, or foligno a top 6 spot before we sign some 30 year old career 3rd/4th liner and put them on the second line.

Realistically, our forwards are verrryyy ******. We have to improve through trade/draft if no Solid top 6 UFAs are available.

The last thing you wanna do is give our young players icetime away to old UFAs who aren't even good.

If we're to be a good team though, we cannot, i repeat, cannot just give top 6 minutes right away to guys like butler,foligno, regin...they have to earn it being offensive on the third and 4th lines like spezza,havlat, vermette etc all had to do. Spezza put up 55 points on the fourth line before he got top 6 minutes. Havlat was a point a game on the third line before moving up to the second. Vermette progressed from the 4th, to third, to second.

If we want to develop these guys properly, butler, silfverberg and any other young guy needs to learn to play defensively sound on the third/4th lines and prove they have offense before they move up the depth chart. That's how all the good 2-way teams do it.

But now if we have no choice and only have 2-3 top 6 forwards, i would rather give the young guys ice time to improve over signing some aging bum. But then again...until we get those 3-4 top 6 forwards, we'll won't be competing for the cup any time soon.

If we had it my way...our third line would be foligno-regin-butler... Neil, smith, and someone else would make up the 4th line...with 3 UFA top 6 forwards added to michalek,spezza,alfredsson.
I agree with you 100%, I love Neil, but never want him on a line higher then the fourth. Realisticly though, we will not be able to get 2-3 top 6 guys, I will be surprised if we get 1. I am on the side that believes you can't rush young players into roles they are not fit for, and would rather sign some other guys who are not a part of the long term future, as a 1-2 year stop gap to ensure that the young guys are brought up properly, and not rushed..like a guy like Turris, whom I see similar, in stature, not play, to a guy like RNH, who I would let stay another year to rip the dub and WJC if we picked him, although it is almost certain he would be on our squad.

Old
03-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Rumcajs

Quote:

Our list of bottom 6 players going into next year:

Neil
Foligno
Regin
Winchester
Shannon (if re-signed)
Smith
Butler (until he earns a top 6 spot)
Condra
Greening
Obrien
silfverbeg

Top 6 guys:
Spezza
Alfredsson (and that's debatable depend on how he recovers)
Michalek

Soooo why would we sign bottom 6 when we have enough guys competing for those spots to give us a good bottom 6. If anything, we need 3 maybe 4 top 6 forwards.
Anyone else done with Neil and Winchester?

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 02:17 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
I agree with you 100%, I love Neil, but never want him on a line higher then the fourth. Realisticly though, we will not be able to get 2-3 top 6 guys, I will be surprised if we get 1. I am on the side that believes you can't rush young players into roles they are not fit for, and would rather sign some other guys who are not a part of the long term future, as a 1-2 year stop gap to ensure that the young guys are brought up properly, and not rushed..like a guy like Turris, whom I see similar, in stature, not play, to a guy like RNH, who I would let stay another year to rip the dub and WJC if we picked him, although it is almost certain he would be on our squad.
I see what you mean, and i kind of agree. It depends on the UFAs available. I would rather a reclamation project (where's afinogenov these days) like samsonov was. Someone who has the talent, but maybe not the confidence...or the right situation instead of career 3rd liner like...say chris kelly type(although kelly brought a lot more to the table) . I think it's worth talking to zherdev about a 1-2 year deal. He might sign cheap and playing on spezza's wing could be 60+ point player and 30 goal scorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanuck619 View Post
Anyone else done with Neil and Winchester?
I must agree. I love neil...but 2 million for someone to get 10-15 points and 175 PIM can be replaced for 900,000. Throw in the fact there's always rumours of several teams interested. We could get something decent in return. For neil, the salary is the issue.

As for winchester, he just doesn't bring much to the table. He's solid...But he's not a defensive mastermind, or a huge physical force. Throw in his constant decline offense(18pts, 13 pts, 11 pts) he doesn't have any offense either. What is he here for? To try hard, play well along the boards, and take up a roster spot?

From what i've seen from condra,butler, and greening, they all deserve a spot above winchester. Even shannon (who i dont believe has a spot on this team next year) i would put ahead of winchester. At least he has blazing speed and a decent shot.

Old
03-17-2011, 02:40 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

The Sens could probably sign both Zherdev & Frolov for what they are making this yr to one yr contracts ($5 mil) & Ottawa would have two potential 40/50 pt wingers for Spezza. Of course, these three defensive liabilities might also get 50 scored on them.

Frolov - Spezza - Zherdev
Michalek - Regin - Alfredson
Greening - O'Brien - Butler
Z. Smith - Winchester - Neil/Condra

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 02:43 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
The Sens could probably sign both Zherdev & Frolov for what they are making this yr to one yr contracts ($5 mil) & Ottawa would have two potential 40/50 pt wingers for Spezza. Of course, these three defensive liabilities might also get 50 scored on them.

Frolov - Spezza - Zherdev
Michalek - Regin - Alfredson
Greening - O'Brien - Butler
Z. Smith - Winchester - Neil/Condra
I don't mind that at all. Barring those russians leave when we start to contend. lol

Old
03-17-2011, 02:46 PM
TheHMan

Zherdev no, Frolov yes.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
how did Wick look last night?

thx

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:22 AM
newtron

Ufa

Murray said last night at the STH roundtable, that with all of the young guys looking for spots next year, he'd be happy with one UFA signing on July 1st.

He also indicated that Lehner would be in Bingo next year. So, does he offer contracts to both Anderson and McElhinney?

newtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:43 AM
JustinYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post

thx
For the most part, he played on the 4th line with Winchester and Lessard so not much ice-time. However, when he was put on Spezza's wing, he hit the post (maybe twice, not sure). To get a good look at him, he'll have to be in the Top 6.

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 08:55 AM
dmarc
SENS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtron View Post
Murray said last night at the STH roundtable, that with all of the young guys looking for spots next year, he'd be happy with one UFA signing on July 1st.
Anything else interesting that was said?

dmarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 09:36 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarc View Post
I seem to remember him saying during the Season Ticket holders conferance that he wanted a top 6 forward to play with Spezza or who could carry the load if he is injured. Don't know who that might be given who shallow the UFA crop is this summer, but he did also say before that he could trade for a young player as well.

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 09:42 AM
operasen

Quote:

He also indicated that Lehner would be in Bingo next year. So, does he offer contracts to both Anderson and McElhinney?
I like the "one UFA" - I think that's all we need and it depends on whether we draft a Centre or LW at the Draft. If Michalek stays he needs to play RW, even if thats 3rd line. I can see his being dealt (injuries) and we'd get a good return I think (pick & prospect). He's too $$ for 3rd/4th line, and Alfredsson needs to stay on the 2nd.

Both goalies should get offers. Lehner needs to recoup this (wasted) year of his development.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 09:59 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:

I guess a lot of folks started to think that after last night's performance. If the Sens could sign both of these goalies, that would provide a good environment for Lehner to develop down in Bingo.

I would be comfortable with the Anderson/McElhinney tandem. From all accounts, they fit in the locker-room well and the players like playing in front of them.

It's also fun to watch the young forward group develop. I think the Sens could get away with only picking up 1-2 UFA forwards this summer.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 11:41 AM
JustinYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post

thx
For the most part, he played on the 4th line with Winchester and Lessard so not much ice-time. However, when he was put on Spezza's wing, he hit the post (maybe twice, not sure). To get a good look at him, he'll have to be in the Top 6.

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:03 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Uh, who do you exactly want to replace Winchester with since apparently he's worthless? Its not like hes a perfect 4th line player or anything, making perfect money.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:49 PM
newtron

Quote:
Apart from the one UFA and the comment re: Lehner that was already quoted...

- focused a good deal of time on the prospects
- re-iterated what we've already heard, that Cowen and Runblad will both be on the team next year
- mentioned how well Gryba is doing and said that he will get a game up here before the year is out
- PETER Weirchioch is showing alot of promise, needs to bulk up (not sure if he said that he may get a game up here)
- pressing hard for another College free agent, hopes to get him... when asked if that guy was DaCosta, Murray said (paraphrasing), "I can't really say, but that sounds like a good name."
- from all that was said by Murray and Jeff Kyle, it really sounds like Murray is not going anywhere
- No surprise, but I don't think there was one mention of the name Cory Clouston

There was more info given, but that's about all I can recall for now, and probably the most interesting stuff.

newtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 01:31 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
http://www.senschirp.ca/index.php?op...nion&Itemid=13

Quote:
Apart from the one UFA and the comment re: Lehner that was already quoted...

- focused a good deal of time on the prospects
- re-iterated what we've already heard, that Cowen and Runblad will both be on the team next year
- mentioned how well Gryba is doing and said that he will get a game up here before the year is out
- PETER Weirchioch is showing alot of promise, needs to bulk up (not sure if he said that he may get a game up here)
- pressing hard for another College free agent, hopes to get him... when asked if that guy was DaCosta, Murray said (paraphrasing), "I can't really say, but that sounds like a good name."
- from all that was said by Murray and Jeff Kyle, it really sounds like Murray is not going anywhere
- No surprise, but I don't think there was one mention of the name Cory Clouston

There was more info given, but that's about all I can recall for now, and probably the most interesting stuff.
He also mentioned that he would like to bring Silfverberg over & get him into the lineup sometime next yr. Paul Thompson could also be the college kid they are pursuing, same college as Butler New Hampshire, also plays RW & about the same size.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 02:09 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Did you guys know that David Hale has never hurt the team? Denis Potvin told me that 25 times last night.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 04:06 PM
dmarc
SENS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
http://www.senschirp.ca/index.php?op...nion&Itemid=13

He also mentioned that he would like to bring Silfverberg over & get him into the lineup sometime next yr. Paul Thompson could also be the college kid they are pursuing, same college as Butler New Hampshire, also plays RW & about the same size.
Thanks Aragon, Newtron and Sens Chirp, kinda wishing we had an update on Petersson though, this is pretty much the same stuff we've been hearing the past bit.... Does anyone know if they'll be another one?

dmarc is online now   Reply With Quote