HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2011, 03:31 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

vCash: 500
McIlrath signed as per Zipay's twitter.

Old
03-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Teams dont draft fighters. Those can always be found somewhere. And I know some wise-ass here will note that we have had trouble in that department, but that was just because of stupidity by sather (brashear) and bad luck (Boogard).
Hmmm...when did we ever draft either Boogard or Brashear ? The kid I mentioned is huge , strong ...and still growing...there is always a possibility his other skills might develop a few years down the road . I don't think many of our goal scorers taken on our last picks of the draft have always turned out . Who knows...he could become a power forward if he gets help with his skills or he could be a bust ...no man knows !

Old
03-17-2011, 08:55 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

march iss is out. some interesting movers.

https://www.isshockey.com/scouting/home

ill be following from here on in my 5 forward favorites for this draft. updating stats and highlighting news. considering where we may draft and who may be available, these are the guys i think we will have a shot at with our 1st and two 2nds. we all want rnh, hub and strome, but those guys wont be around when we step up.

1. mika zibanejad 26 5 4 9 2

z-bad is a talented 2 way player with good size. right handed centerman who has soft hands, hard shot and can play with an edge. hes on everyones radar now and rising fast. with his big frame, good wheels and ability to create in traffic, hes the prototypical power forward who can also create offensively.

2. alexander khokhlachev 64 34 39 73 9 28

dynamic talent. scorer, sniper, dangler, pp scorer and able to take over game on his own. not unwilling to play both ends, and more than willing to compete for pucks in dirty areas, hes an offensive talent that would look nice slotted between arty and derek stepan. has slowed recently as hes been shut down by top pairs and hasnt scored a goal in march yet, but hes still a ppg player and is plus 1 in march.

3. daniel catenacci 65 26 45 71 -3 113

the cat is fast, nasty and relentless. hes not a big guy but he plays like hes 6'3. perhaps the best wheels in the entire draft. more of a playmaker than scorer, his speed is a weapon. add a ton of excitement to the pk where hes a threat to score every time hes on the ice. plays with grit, skill and speed. perfect player to take with a 2nd round pick.

4. matt puempel 55 34 35 69 -33 49

hes currently shut down for the season with probable hip surgery. forget the -33, his team was downright awful. when healthy, hes a deadly sniper. hard, accurate quick release. a larger version of thomas perhaps. if he drops, hes the guy to snag.

5. colin jacobs 65 21 22 43 -18 67

having a tough second half of the season. right handed shot. playing mostly 3rd line role with some pp time. solid 2 way skills, big frame, mean streak, and decent hands with a accurate shot. as a late 2nd round pick, hes got skill to play both center and wing.

Old
03-17-2011, 09:06 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
I've read that Catenacci has an awful attitude. Conceited as hell, reportedly.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
03-17-2011, 10:03 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
really. hadnt heard that.

i know alot of the very bias canadian media types are big fans of the kid.

interesting.

Old
03-17-2011, 01:19 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Hey, he's had some second half of his draft year !
lol it's sad everytime I read you you're saying something inflammatory and the mods never do anything about it. Some stuff isn't worth much like thi comment it's not THAT bad but other times it's so blatantly obvious you're a troll it's not even funny.
Beats having a life I guess dw about telling me i'm "stalking you" b/c i'm putting you on ignore anyway since you add nothing of value to this place.

Old
03-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
lol it's sad everytime I read you you're saying something inflammatory and the mods never do anything about it. Some stuff isn't worth much like thi comment it's not THAT bad but other times it's so blatantly obvious you're a troll it's not even funny.
Beats having a life I guess dw about telling me i'm "stalking you" b/c i'm putting you on ignore anyway since you add nothing of value to this place.

You can't handle the truth !!

Oh well, another one bites the dust....

Old
03-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Jets philosophy under Mike Tannenbaum has been quality over quantity. He has traded up to select Revis,Sanchez,Harris,Keller and Greene. One key player is more important than 2 or 3 players. Identify the player and trade up to select him. It's hard to build through the draft having a chance every 30 picks. The Jets traded their entire draft in 2009 to trade up for Sanchez and Greene.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz1GmrT7RMX

The Rangers have an extra 2nd. Put the Rangers 2nd in play with the #1 pick to move up 4-5 spots. Moving up to #12 from #16 cost the Rangers #41 pick in the draft in 2005 to select Staal. Moving up to #19 from #24 cost the Rangers #46th pick to select Lauri Korpikoski.

Or put the 2 2nds in play to trade up for a late 1st rounder.

The Rangers have shown they are not afraid to swap a prospect for a draft pick. Alex Bourret to PHX for a 3rd in 2008(Tomas Kundratek) and Bobby Sanguinetti for a 6th in 2010(Jesper Fasth) and the Caps 2nd in 2011.
Interesting point RB.

I guess there is one subsensial difference though, drafting in hockey is way harder then drafting in the NBA, NFL or MLB, at least from what I understand in those sports.

I think sometimes -- if you really got a good track of a player -- you can step in and really get a kid who not only have raw abilitys, but also can play hockey. Staal is a example of that.

But then you have guys with raw ability, IMO guys like Korpikoski, MDZ, Sangs and co. Guys like that can take another step in a hurry, sometimes they will not.

In the 2nd round you can often pick up very solid players too, especially if you are prepaired to gamble on guys not 100% to come over from Europe. But remember that Step, Dubi, Cally, Hank, AA and co all are lower round picks.

Old
03-17-2011, 02:47 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Where does Frk sit on the list for everyone at this point? Wasn't he a frontrunner for #1 overall in 2012 at this time last year?
I'm a fan. I think he's a top 10 player, but so much can change. He's a little slow, and his stride is a little bit awkward, IMO. He's also a little bit immature on the ice (no clue what he's like off the ice), but sometimes he takes stupid chances and carries the puck by himself instead of sharing, but that's not a big enough issue with him to lower his stock much. He's a smart player, he just tries to do things on his own a little much. If he could improve his passing to the same level of his shot, which is just gangbusters, he'll be a pretty damn good offensive player.

No one displaces Yakupov from the top of the list, though. Man, that kid is going to be a great, great player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
As opposed to what you add to this place, like the staggering amount of posts you make in which you accuse others of being trolls. Also amusing that you have no problem attacking others for creating an "arbitrary" scale of value, but you have absolutely no reservations about doing the exact same thing yourself.

When are you going to finally just change your username to Complete Hypocrite already?

Old
03-17-2011, 02:49 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
No one displaces Yakupov from the top of the list, though. Man, that kid is going to be a great, great player.
I've read some Kovalchuk comparisons. Do you think that's an accurate assessment?

Old
03-17-2011, 03:02 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I've read some Kovalchuk comparisons. Do you think that's an accurate assessment?
Talent-wise, I guess. But playing style, I'd say is a little bit different. He's not as big or as strong as Kovalchuk, but he is as fast, if not faster (and Kovalchuk, for his size, is a very fast skater). Bure-like speed.

Yakupov is so good that it's hard to compare him, because most of the comparisons that fit him, he might be better than those players.

IMO, he'll be a little bit more of a playmaker than a goalscorer in the NHL because he isn't as big/strong as Kovalchuk or Ovechkin, although he certainly has the talent to be a big scorer, as well.

I see a little Semin, a little Zherdev (no, not the laziness or other negative attributes), and even a little Zetterberg. Some people like to call him a better Radulov, and that's fair. He moves a lot like him. He is a little stronger than those guys but not as strong as a Kovalchuk.

He's going to to be really good. Galchenyuk is no slouch, either. Larionov compared him to Hossa, if I recalled, and I think that's a good comparison, although he might be more talented at passing than Hossa.

Old
03-17-2011, 03:06 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
As long as he's not chewing gum or wearing a polo shirt when he gets called up to the podium I'm good.

Old
03-17-2011, 05:19 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'm a fan. I think he's a top 10 player, but so much can change. He's a little slow, and his stride is a little bit awkward, IMO. He's also a little bit immature on the ice (no clue what he's like off the ice), but sometimes he takes stupid chances and carries the puck by himself instead of sharing, but that's not a big enough issue with him to lower his stock much. He's a smart player, he just tries to do things on his own a little much. If he could improve his passing to the same level of his shot, which is just gangbusters, he'll be a pretty damn good offensive player.

As opposed to what you add to this place, like the staggering amount of posts you make in which you accuse others of being trolls. Also amusing that you have no problem attacking others for creating an "arbitrary" scale of value, but you have absolutely no reservations about doing the exact same thing yourself.

When are you going to finally just change your username to Complete Hypocrite already?
Sent a PM so as not to start a flame war. Unless your goal is to derail yet another thread please direct you're complaint to my message box. I do apologize for my off topic message to BN but I put him on ignore so as not to continue anything. I suggest you do the same with me if I bother you so much that you have to keep complaining about me.

Old
03-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Leetch66

Check out this kid...he is 8th overall in rookie scoring for the Major Junior League in Canada ...his dad informed me of this morning , Darcy Ashley of the Halifax Mooseheads . He has a ton of speed and skill but is small in stature but has no fear .

I just found an older thread from the board from 2008...interesting stuff on the upcoming draft .

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=12463099

Old
03-17-2011, 11:02 PM
broadwayblue

Looks more and more like we'll be picking in the 14-16 range. Saw a mock where we take Sven Bartschi. Don't know much about him other than that he's a LW who is a bit on the smaller side.

Old
03-18-2011, 02:10 PM
NYR Viper

Not real sure where to put this but it looks like Kuznetsov, who many of us were high on at last years draft may be signing a contract in the KHL instead of coming over to play in NA as he promised to many teams.

This is why so many Russian players fall so rapidly at the draft. Players like Kuznetsov, Radulov, etc. hurt their countrymen's chances of being drafted overly high because teams are wary.

Old
03-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Not real sure where to put this but it looks like Kuznetsov, who many of us were high on at last years draft may be signing a contract in the KHL instead of coming over to play in NA as he promised to many teams.

This is why so many Russian players fall so rapidly at the draft. Players like Kuznetsov, Radulov, etc. hurt their countrymen's chances of being drafted overly high because teams are wary.
My understanding was that for some reason this kid really wanted to be a Ranger. Even so, I can hardly complain about our current 2nd round pick as is.

03-18-2011, 03:31 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
My understanding was that for some reason this kid really wanted to be a Ranger. Even so, I can hardly complain about our current 2nd round pick as is.
I always thought that quote was so weird. Doesn't seem like a good thing to say right before the draft, and I think it shows a bit of immaturity from Kuznetzov. I can understand why he would want to be drafted by the Rangers....sort of.

Regardless I think this is great news for fans of every other team. Kuznetzov has that wow factor where he can dominate games.

Old
03-18-2011, 03:38 PM
broadwayblue

That's actually good news for us. The Caps are/were looking to become a strong team with their defense coming along the way it has...adding Kuznetzov to a core that already includes Ovechkin could have made them tough to beat.

Old
03-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I always thought that quote was so weird. Doesn't seem like a good thing to say right before the draft, and I think it shows a bit of immaturity from Kuznetzov. I can understand why he would want to be drafted by the Rangers....sort of.

Regardless I think this is great news for fans of every other team. Kuznetzov has that wow factor where he can dominate games.
18 year old acted immaturely? Alert the media !

Bad news cause its one less potential NHL star, everyone loses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
That's actually good news for us. The Caps are/were looking to become a strong team with their defense coming along the way it has...adding Kuznetzov to a core that already includes Ovechkin could have made them tough to beat.
How long will he sign for? Life? I don't know, but I do know this is about money. Its business, I won't let that change my opinion, he'll be in the NHL and he'll be a good one, I bet the house on it.

Old
03-18-2011, 04:36 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
18 year old acted immaturely? Alert the media !

Bad news cause its one less potential NHL star, everyone loses.

How long will he sign for? Life? I don't know, but I do know this is about money. Its business, I won't let that change my opinion, he'll be in the NHL and he'll be a good one, I bet the house on it.
Show me the part where I said he didn't deserve to be drafted in the 1st round, or how his immaturity would effect his career. Am I not allowed to mention Kabanov either, because he's the same age? All I said was it's the wrong thing to say on the verge of being drafted. It doesn't matter if he's 45, it's an odd thing to say.

Old
03-18-2011, 07:11 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

Dmitry Chesnokov

#Caps prospect Kuznetsov told SovSport that he doesn't yet want to go to the NHL: "Because I am not ready. Everyone including me, the coaches, the [Caps] ownership understand that I need to grow up to the NHL level, to mature physically. 82 games in a season is a serious [number]. . . Both our leagues - the KHL and the MHL [Russian junior league] are actively evolving and maybe in a year or two I may not even want to go to the NHL at all..."

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/tag/evgeny-kuznetsov/

bummer. this is exactly the thing that hurts young russians. he has always hinted to wanting to play at home. hopefully it just a money and maturity thing.

the lure of tax free guaranteed money is hard to resist when you come from nothing.

Old
03-19-2011, 05:33 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I really feel like the Rangers are gearing up to get into the top-10 this year. I've had the feeling for months that they have a clear target they are prepared to trade up for, and it would explain why they've been holding onto WSH 2nd so tightly as well.

If Couturier falls past the Islanders, I wouldn't be surprised if we just packaged our first three picks together and moved down to grab him.

Last edited by t3hg00se: 03-19-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old
03-19-2011, 06:18 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I really feel like the Rangers are gearing up to get into the top-10 this year. I've had the feeling for months that they have a clear target they are prepared to trade up for, and it would explain why they've been holding onto WSH 2nd so tightly as well.

If Couturier falls past the Islanders, I wouldn't be surprised if we just packaged our first three picks together and moved down to grab him.
Ignoring how rare it is that teams trade down, let alone trade down from pick 5 to the middle of the second round, I don't think our 1st plus to two seconds gets us any higher than pick 9-10. Looking at precedent trades, a single second rounder would be the cost to move from ~16 to ~12. To move from pick 12 to pick 9 or 10 would cost another second rounder. The higher you get, the more expensive it becomes to move up. And that's assuming someone is even willing to move down, let alone move down a lot, which they rarely are.

Here's some 2008 trades for comparison sake:

Trade: Nashville receives the 7th pick from the NY Islanders for the 9th pick and 40th pick
Trade: Buffalo receives the 12th pick from the LA Kings for the 13th pick and a 2009 3rd Round Pick
Trade: Toronto receives the 5th pick from the NY Islanders for the 7th pick, #68 and a 2009 2nd round pick.

Old
03-19-2011, 06:33 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Ignoring how rare it is that teams trade down, let alone trade down from pick 5 to the middle of the second round, I don't think our 1st plus to two seconds gets us any higher than pick 9-10. Looking at precedent trades, a single second rounder would be the cost to move from ~16 to ~12. To move from pick 12 to pick 9 or 10 would cost another second rounder. The higher you get, the more expensive it becomes to move up. And that's assuming someone is even willing to move down, let alone move down a lot, which they rarely are.

Here's some 2008 trades for comparison sake:

Trade: Nashville receives the 7th pick from the NY Islanders for the 9th pick and 40th pick
Trade: Buffalo receives the 12th pick from the LA Kings for the 13th pick and a 2009 3rd Round Pick
Trade: Toronto receives the 5th pick from the NY Islanders for the 7th pick, #68 and a 2009 2nd round pick.

Aye, and with a player like Couturier available the price would only be higher as well.

The price would definitely be high. But with the age of our team and the depth of our prospect pool, it wouldn't be a trade that would hurt too much. Even to say we'd trade our first 4 picks for someone Gordie feels like would be a sure thing wouldn't hurt the franchise as much as some would think.

Closed Thread