HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Blues - 03/17/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2011, 07:53 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
But again it is the booing after the second period that is being called BS and I totally agree. The team still had a chance to win the game but that didn't matter to the fans who booed. meh

Old
03-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Yesterday was Thursday...

Old
03-18-2011, 08:04 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Tomorrow is Saturday

Old
03-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
And Sunday comes awfterwards

Old
03-18-2011, 08:11 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

But after that is the void. No other days. I am scared now, thanks 25.

Old
03-18-2011, 08:18 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
So one of the best teams will struggle to make the playoffs or squeak by? We have yet to determine how they will be disposed of should they be in the playoffs. Learn to read, as I described what could occur pending the way the season concluded. A quick and silent exit from the playoffs wouldn't necessarily be one of the best teams the Kings have iced, unless you have low standards.
Just curious if you realize that last year's great team the Hawks, are in the same position the Kings are in, in barely getting in....

Old
03-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Fingolfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I yelled at the beginning of the 2nd "Wake em up Terry" but the coach looked to be as sleepy as Clifford was woozy going off the ice.
You don't happen to sit in 214, do you?

Old
03-18-2011, 08:34 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
I never hope for player injuries, but I really do hope the guy is playing hurt. That would at least help to explain things a little bit.
Won't surprise me at all to hear about him having some sort of lower body surgery after the season. He's lost 2 steps.

Old
03-18-2011, 08:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

For the people who didn't like the booing what would have been the appropriate behavior? Sitting quietly in their seats? We get that enough. Cheering wildly as though you're a Blues fan?

Old
03-18-2011, 08:56 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Cheering your team on until the end of the game? Not asking them to do something that the fans in attendance weren't all willing to do and that is give your all till the end of the game?

Let them finish the game before you condemn them for a poor effort?

It isn't booing the team its booing the team with a period left in the game imo.

Other than that go kings?

Old
03-18-2011, 09:19 PM
BamBam1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
But again it is the booing after the second period that is being called BS and I totally agree. The team still had a chance to win the game but that didn't matter to the fans who booed. meh
It's not that it didn't matter, it's that the Kings played a horrid first TWO periods. The apparent line in the sand is one bad period. For whatever reason, everyone has a flat, lackluster period every now and then. Two in a row means you didn't come to play tonight. Two in a row means at most I'll be treated to 1/3 of an honest effort for 3/3 of my ticket price. Why shouldn't the fans let the players know about it?

As mentioned, the fact that TM and DD are even mentioning something so trivial is a red flag in itself. What does that say about the team's overall focus and mental toughness?

Old
03-18-2011, 09:26 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Then you are asking your team to do something that you yourself aren't willing to do and that is give it your all until the end. Play to the whistle all the time giving all of your effort all the time.

If you give up on them after two periods how is that going to help lift the team into trying harder to win?

It isn't.

As to the mental toughness of the team it has to be demoralizing to hear your fans give up on you no matter who you are and what team you play for. That to me is why it was a BS thing to do booing the team before the end of the game was simply quitting on them and then expecting them not to do the same for you. Which to their credit they didn't do but I can bet you that it stung for them to lose the support of the fans when some of them are playing injured, giving their all and having a ton of success only to have last night happen.

That is why it mattered that it happened when the team still had plenty of time to come back and win the game. We gave up on them in a situation where they had come back from before.

Old
03-18-2011, 09:29 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

I'm 37 and I don't recall a sporting event where the team hadn't done crap after 2/3 of the game and the fans cheered wildly. If you cheer wildly doesn't that mean you love the fact that the team has done nothing and want more?

Old
03-18-2011, 09:33 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Help me out here, where did I or anyone say anything about cheering the team, let alone wildly? I need to see where I or anyone else said that because I don't remember doing so at all or anyone else saying so either.

What was bs was giving up on the team by booing them after two periods when there was plenty of time to win the game left and the fact that this team has fought hard and at least deserved the entire game to try and win it without their own fans quitting on them.

Old
03-18-2011, 09:41 PM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post

Its also ******** for the coach and Doughty to have such strong words for it without throwing in the caveat "but we kind of deserved it."
Just...wow.

Assuming the word buried under the asterik train above is a negitive, You actually need DD and Coach to point out the most obvious of the obvious to justify, in your mind, what they said???

Some of you people need to get a f-ing life man.

There isnt a on the interwebs big enough for that...sheesh.

Old
03-18-2011, 09:53 PM
yankeeking

thats funny I've been going to kings games for 37 years and I do not honestly remember the fans turning on the team themselves like they did last night, sure we booed murray ,andy that is and the diaster himself and one time when I was there the crowd even booed the GM's wife during a fashion show but never the kings......I was embarrassed when friends that were with me asked if it was a **** season and I said not really we just won four in a row,and I am a Yankee fan and it takes a lot to embarrass me, but whatever you guys PAID good money for your tickets and and the fact that the team had an emotional letdown after a stressful road trip that would make or break their season, how dare the 20 somethings on the team lost focus f@@@

Old
03-18-2011, 09:57 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Help me out here, where did I or anyone say anything about cheering the team, let alone wildly? I need to see where I or anyone else said that because I don't remember doing so at all or anyone else saying so either.

What was bs was giving up on the team by booing them after two periods when there was plenty of time to win the game left and the fact that this team has fought hard and at least deserved the entire game to try and win it without their own fans quitting on them.
So just like a golf clap? Fans quitting on the team means an empty building, not buying tickets. The fans are die hards, they've proved it by simply showing up for this team which has repeatedly iced an inferior product. King fans have always shown up no matter how bad the team is.

Old
03-18-2011, 10:05 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Really? Your telling me and several other of the fans that?

Sorry tik but that isn't even close to a response.

Also I am guessing you didn't find any post where anyone suggested "cheering wildly" either then?

Old
03-18-2011, 10:06 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
So just like a golf clap? Fans quitting on the team means an empty building, not buying tickets. The fans are die hards, they've proved it by simply showing up for this team which has repeatedly iced an inferior product. King fans have always shown up no matter how bad the team is.
... Come on, man. It would be one thing if the team was terrible for the last month and change before last night's game. But they were, what? 16-3-4 in their last 23 games? I would have expected the fans to cut them a little slack. I'm not saying cheer them as they go off the ice, or even applaud them. Just don't boo them. Is that too much to ask?

You and I both remember some dark days in this team's history. The mid-90s at the Forum come to mind. I used to go to the games pretty regularly back then, and I never heard the crowds so brutal that they booed the team before the damned game was even over. And those teams weren't sweeping road trips or going on 16-3-4 runs, that's for sure.

Old
03-18-2011, 10:13 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Come on, man. It would be one thing if the team was terrible for the last month and change before last night's game. But they were, what? 16-3-4 in their last 23 games? I would have expected the fans to cut them a little slack. I'm not saying cheer them as they go off the ice, or even applaud them. Just don't boo them. Is that too much to ask?

You and I both remember some dark days in this team's history. The mid-90s at the Forum come to mind. I used to go to the games pretty regularly back then, and I never heard the crowds so brutal that they booed the team before the damned game was even over. And those teams weren't sweeping road trips or going on 16-3-4 runs, that's for sure.
No, that's what I was asking for. When I watch sports when a team plays bad they get booed. Not all fans are educated, not all fans care, to me the outcome was expected. Yes, we're all in agreement the team has been good this season and they are headed in the right direction. IMO, the fans were booing last nights performance only and if Murray or any of the players don't like it then don't fall flat at home against a tired Blues team. I think the fans are excited to go to Kings games, which is a new feeling, and when they don't see a good product they boo. Last nights game was important, the fans were more pumped up than the team was and they let out their frustrations. I don't see what the uproar is from the non-boo King fans and I'm asking what should the crowd do.

Old
03-18-2011, 10:18 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Really? Your telling me and several other of the fans that?

Sorry tik but that isn't even close to a response.

Also I am guessing you didn't find any post where anyone suggested "cheering wildly" either then?
I was simply asking what the correct response was and what the correct behavior from the Staples fans would have been and then I named off a couple of possible examples. Cheering wildly and the golf clap have been ruled out.

Old
03-18-2011, 10:22 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

What should the crowd do?

Not give up on the team and boo them when they still have a shot at winning the game.

Don't give up on your team and then expect them to give even more then they have been for you.

Wait until the end of the game at least if you have to boo your own team.

JT said it best earlier when he said something to the effect of if you booed the team then don't say you stick with them through thick and thin because you simply don't. The going got terrible and tuff and before the end of the 2nd period booing your team off the ice says were only behind you when you are doing at least pretty well.

Old
03-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

"Let's go Kings" seems to be the best approach. Everyone audibly shouting "come on" would also provide encouragement. Everyone's allowed to choose what they do though.

Old
03-18-2011, 10:30 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I agree with the fact that everyone is absolutely allowed to do what they do but then we are included in that group too.

Old
03-18-2011, 10:30 PM
nocturn

I wouldnt waste anymore of your time trying to explain this TG. Some people get it, some dont. Some people are there to support their team 100% good or bad, some are there to support whatever the direction of flow is concerning momentum. Some always need a return on their investment.

Whatevs

Closed Thread