HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

I don't want Roberts or Domi personally...

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 12:02 PM
9DiGiT-CODE

vCash: 500
I don't want Roberts or Domi personally...

I don't understand the hype around these guys and getting them signed up for a contract. I really enjoy Gary Roberts as a player on and off the ice, but he was constantly getting injured in the last season, what is the point of signing someone who is gonna be beat down at seasons end, or injured like usual. He was fantastic a few years ago in the playoffs, but since then I haven't seen the same spark he is capable of brining, and if he went to some other team, it wouldn't upset me in the least...

As far as Domi goes, I just can't stand the guy, he is in inconsistant, and I just think he is a ***** and that has grown worse and worse season after season, more of a knock on his personallity, but either way screw him, get him out...

Just my 2 cents into this whole thing...

Spend the money on some young players, some good players who won't fall apart throughout the season... someone that can actually contribute something usefull to this team night after night, game after game...

Thank you...

Old
07-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9DiGiT-CODE
I don't understand the hype around these guys and getting them signed up for a contract. I really enjoy Gary Roberts as a player on and off the ice, but he was constantly getting injured in the last season, what is the point of signing someone who is gonna be beat down at seasons end, or injured like usual. He was fantastic a few years ago in the playoffs, but since then I haven't seen the same spark he is capable of brining, and if he went to some other team, it wouldn't upset me in the least...

As far as Domi goes, I just can't stand the guy, he is in inconsistant, and I just think he is a ***** and that has grown worse and worse season after season, more of a knock on his personallity, but either way screw him, get him out...

Spend the money on some young players, some good players who won't fall apart throughout the season... someone that can actually contribute something usefull to this team night after night, game after game...

Thank you...
I disagree completely. We need to bring these guys back in order to do well.

Roberts was constantly injured? He did play 72 games last season, that's alot more than many players. He was injured a total of twice last season, one a muscle strain that caused him to miss 2 games, and the other a groin injury that cost him 8 games.

As long as the price is right (1-2,000,000) he's a more than good pickup, especially after the long layoff.

Tie Domi is another player I don't understand why people in TO don't want back. He played 80 games last season (chipped in 20 points), and was very solid in his role (a third/fourth line enforcer/grinder). He does everyting he's asked to, and is one of the only guys we had who was willing to do anything to win.

With him he'll probably sign for close to the minimum, what younger players that can chip in game after game will sign as low as he will? He's a value guy for us, and we should utilize that.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:07 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
I disagree completely. We need to bring these guys back in order to do well.

Roberts was constantly injured? He did play 72 games last season, that's alot more than many players. He was injured a total of twice last season, one a muscle strain that caused him to miss 2 games, and the other a groin injury that cost him 8 games.

As long as the price is right (1-2,000,000) he's a more than good pickup, especially after the long layoff.

Tie Domi is another player I don't understand why people in TO don't want back. He played 80 games last season (chipped in 20 points), and was very solid in his role (a third/fourth line enforcer/grinder). He does everyting he's asked to, and is one of the only guys we had who was willing to do anything to win.

With him he'll probably sign for close to the minimum, what younger players that can chip in game after game will sign as low as he will? He's a value guy for us, and we should utilize that.
Well said

Old
07-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
I think you're mixing Gary for Joe.

In any case, I don't want either to leave yet.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:26 PM
Epoch

Quote:

Thank you...
I agree with you about Domi.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:31 PM
ATG

Tie Domi gives 100 percent effort all the time and personally I think he had one of his best seasons last year.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:48 PM
EazyB97

I'd take Niewy and Roberts back in a heartbeat. I'd drop Roberts down to the second line as I don't see him as a first liner (never really have), but they are both exceptional players and really help the team.

I don't feel the same about Domi. I think he is overhyped and tends to have too many brain farts. If he went back to a simpler game, I'd be happy, but he tries to do too much with the puck and can hurt us more than help. I don't think he fights as well as he used to. I personally like Belak to fill the role, but I know I am the only guy on the board who feels that way. Nevertheless, I think there are capable replacements for him, both inside and outside the organization and for cheaper.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Original6

I hope we don't sign them either. These old men will watch as all the younger guys skate right past em.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:50 PM
TrueBlue

Quote:

Thank you...

These are the guys that have been getting your team in the playoffs the past so many years. So you have to appreciate what you have before it's gone.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:57 PM
TheBudsForever

.. He also made about $1.9 million last year before the rollback. Alot of what happens next is going to be up to Domi and the dollars he wants to stay a Leaf. I really doubt that he's going to agree to play for the League minimum. It's going to cost $750K to a million to keep him. If he wants more than that, IMHO say bye bye to Domi and hello to Nthan Perrott playing for the League minimum alongside Wilm and one other minimum wage 4th liner.

Old
07-31-2005, 02:01 PM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBudsForever
.. He also made about $1.9 million last year before the rollback. Alot of what happens next is going to be up to Domi and the dollars he wants to stay a Leaf. I really doubt that he's going to agree to play for the League minimum. It's going to cost $750K to a million to keep him. If he wants more than that, IMHO say bye bye to Domi and hello to Nthan Perrott playing for the League minimum alongside Wilm and one other minimum wage 4th liner.

But Perrot is no heavyweight and has a weak chin. Although we do have Belak.

I would like to see Domi back and Roberts and Niewy too.

Old
07-31-2005, 03:52 PM
It Kills Me

Tie, who cares.

Roberts = a 28 goal scorer!

If Roberts doesn't sign here Roberts will sign with Ottawa and then our playoff streak is over. Roberts is a good player, he's the kinda of guy you need in the playoffs. Also, age doesnt seem to be slowing him down. Nieuwy, I wouldn't care now (Antropov will haveta be a second liner soon right?), neither would I of Mogilny... since we have O'Neill.

Old
07-31-2005, 07:25 PM
Around in 67
welcome back TLC

Quote:

Thank you...
I heard they are not too crazy about you either.

Roberts had a horrible year, he must be done. Only 50 points (knew that didn't look right); what a bum. His conditioning sucks; got to be 40 pounds over weight.

There may be younger quicker guys than Roberts, but not too many of them will be skating by Roberts with the ease you seem to think.

Last edited by Around in 67: 07-31-2005 at 07:44 PM.
Old
07-31-2005, 08:03 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:

Thank you...
Heres the "hype" in my opinion, surrounding the resigning of Roberts:

He's still an amazing player. Constantly hurt? Didn't he only miss something like 10 games last year? Pretty good for a guy who came pretty damn close to not being able to walk for the rest of his life. He might be old, but he's still better than 3/4 of the free agents, and alot cheaper as well.Hell, I can't even remember him having a bad game last season. Come playoff time, he's amazingly physical for a guy his age, and always comes up with the timely plays. Heres something to consider: while Pat Quinn is the coach in T.O, there will always be old vertern players, and until he leaves we will just have to deal with it. If we see Gary Roberts in an Ottawa uniform, our first round "bye" might not be anymore.

Old
07-31-2005, 08:13 PM
pspot

i would rather pay a 20 year old rookie half the money that Domi will want and he will play 100% all the time and can stick handle while skating
my Nanna could get 20points for the playing time Domi got....1st line....PP...
this is the perfect opt to get rid of him and use that roster space towards the youth movement
fan favourite in TO makes me laugh, Fletcher traded Wendel Clark....Wendel Clark one of the greatest Leafs of all time and the fans didnt stop watching or going to games....and it was a great trade in the end, only mistake was bringing him back because of fan pressure
Domi has been so over paid for so long he should pay the Leafs to bring him back in the new system
JFJ dont listen to anyone...cut the dead weight and go for talent

Old
07-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Scoogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original6
I hope we don't sign them either. These old men will watch as all the younger guys skate right past em.
I forget who it was... But I remember reading something.. A young player who played with or against Roberts (I can't remember..) was talking about how well Roberts stays in shape and takes care of his body.

Going further, talking about how amazed he was at his skating abilities. He said that he couldn't keep up with him.

I'm not making this up.. Can someone back me up on this?

Old
07-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
I forget who it was... But I remember reading something.. A young player who played with or against Roberts (I can't remember..) was talking about how well Roberts stays in shape and takes care of his body.

Going further, talking about how amazed he was at his skating abilities. He said that he couldn't keep up with him.

I'm not making this up.. Can someone back me up on this?
Wasn't it Spezza? I thought they trained together or something.

Old
07-31-2005, 08:30 PM
Scoogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogilny8989
Wasn't it Spezza? I thought they trained together or something.
That's what I was thinking but I didn't want to say his name then look like an idiot when/if someone said it wasn't.

Closed Thread