HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeanneret's future

Old
03-19-2011, 01:54 AM
BCS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Two or three years ago, I would agree that RJ sounded like he was losing some of his spark as well as his mental acuity - but Harry Neale's aging in the last three years has been even more obvious and difficult to watch/listen to. In some strange way, I think RJ picked up his stride to compensate for all of the gaps and mistakes Neale would say on air. How often have we all heard Neale utter the wrong player's name, the wrong score or misrepresent historical facts, only to have RJ jump in and correct him? Too often in recent years....

I'd love to see what kind of infusion of energy RJ might get if paired with a younger color commentator with a fresh and insightful take on the action - someone like former Sabres Peca, Barnaby, Galley or Simpson.
Neale is one of the reasons RJ hasn't retired yet. They're close friends who keep each other going.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 06:03 AM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
I think if he did the home games while someone else did the road games he would probably find that favorable. He still loves calling games just hates all the travel at his age.
That's been my suggestion with the addition of doing the divisional road games (or at least Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal). That would give us 50-53 games of RJ a year.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 08:14 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
Take tons and tons of RJ clips, edit them together and put them on a sound board. Then have someone controlling the board throughout the game. As new players join the lineup, RJ can record new goal clips with witty name-play.

Kind of like how the NHL video games do the play by play, except in real time!
But that's already how they do Harry Neale's commentary.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabathia View Post
Neale is one of the reasons RJ hasn't retired yet. They're close friends who keep each other going.
I realize their friendship was a factor why RJ didn't retire after Lorentz left but at the same time, when you listen to how often RJ corrects Neale during broadcasts on simple facts Neale misrepresents - and the tone in which RJ does it - it sounds to me like RJ may like drinking and traveling with Neale but gets frustrated with the on-air sloppiness Neale causes.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 01:43 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Has anyone seen this??

There's only 100 made, I snagged one a couple weeks ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-11-Crown-Ro...item41578b156b

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

vCash: 50
I love Rick, but there's no getting around the fact that he's going to retire soon; if not this year then definitely in the next couple. I'm more concerned about getting a good play-by-play guy to replace him. Please, no Mark Jeanneret.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
completely serious...

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:25 PM
SabreDr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I'd be curious if Pegula ever entertains the idea of a private charter plane for flying the team - certainly, with his resources and company, I have to believe he owns a plane(s). Other sports teams have been known to use a team plane rather commercial flight to ease on the hassles of air travel and give the players more comfortable accommodations after games. It would kind of fit in with what Pegula and Black inferred with the "hockey heaven" goal and references to player facilities.

If the team had their own plane, I wonder if RJ would find the travel less stressful...
The Sabres have been flying private, charter planes for years. The private company they use is Miami Air International. Teams haven't flown commercial for years, probably decades.

SabreDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 01:27 AM
fing0rz

lets just win the cup for him this year.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote