HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

+36...

Old
03-19-2011, 10:12 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

vCash: 500
+36...

This team is a +33 in Goal Differential - good for 5th in the league. Sure blowout games attribute to this but that's no way to knock it. Every team has blowout games.

Last time that had close to that was 06-07 when they ended with a +26.

This team will be better than this season. If they have a relatively injury free year next season... while adding another year of experience to the young players.

Hopefully mediocrity won't be here for long.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
interesting...

I would love to see the possible goal total this year vs past year and the years with Jagr when we made the play offs.

I think we need to have a very strong showing into the final stretch if we want to go far post season.

.500 effort is not going to be good enough

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

It's pretty easy to figure out. When we lose, we lose by one goal. We have several blowout wins. We are just over .500.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:14 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Its interesting the teams they have blown out are the better teams.... we have a quirky, hard working team.

03-19-2011, 11:30 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
interesting...

I would love to see the possible goal total this year vs past year and the years with Jagr when we made the play offs.

I think we need to have a very strong showing into the final stretch if we want to go far post season.

.500 effort is not going to be good enough
Totals since the lockout:

05 - 06: 257 GF - 215 GA - +42
06 - 07: 242 GF - 216 GA - +26
07 - 08: 213 GF - 199 GA - +14
08 - 09: 210 GF - 218 GA - -8
09 - 10: 222 GF - 218 GA - +4
10 - 11: 210 GF - 177 GA - +33

For 82 games if they keep the same exact pace, this season would be 239GF - 201GA. Extrapolating usually doesn't mean much but it could be close to that at seasons end. Lowest GA since 07-08 and highest GF since 06-07.

Old
03-19-2011, 11:34 AM
MorrisWanchuk

the only teams that have scored more than us (210) in the East are PHI (225), TAM (212) & BOS (211). Not bad for a team whose top sniper has been awol for most of the year.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:37 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
the only teams that have scored more than us (210) in the East are PHI (225), TAM (212) & BOS (211). Not bad for a team whose top sniper has been awol for most of the year.
What's even more shocking is our top scorer has 47 points with 10 games left on the season.

Old
03-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
What's even more shocking is our top scorer has 47 points with 10 games left on the season.
Its been a scoring by committee type situation, partly facilitated by the injuries, part because we have a lot of team depth and roll4 lines, but have had no real dominant top line this season.

We have a chance not only to allow the least goals this team has let in a season in the modern era (record; 07-08 with 199), but get our best total since the 05-06 season, which was skewed due to the plethora of penalty calls.

03-19-2011, 04:47 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
I agree.. Everyone was saying the Rangers weakness is scoring. Not sure I agree at all.

this is a good team with the scoring on offense, the defense and Hank.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
This team is a +33 in Goal Differential - good for 5th in the league. Sure blowout games attribute to this but that's no way to knock it. Every team has blowout games.

Last time that had close to that was 06-07 when they ended with a +26.

This team will be better than this season. If they have a relatively injury free year next season... while adding another year of experience to the young players.

Hopefully mediocrity won't be here for long.
True, but we don't just have a normal amount, we're 1st in the league in blowout wins with I think 10 6+ goal games. Just a pretty flukey season in that regard. The team rarely gets a decent lead of 2 or more goals, but when they do they keep piling on.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 05:35 PM
mike14

NYR have the most 6+ goal games (including the SO goal) with 10.
Van is next with 9, then Boston and Detroit with 8 and Philly with 7.
Nashville is the only team to have 0 6 goal games and the Yotes, Sens, Devs and Jackets have only had 1.

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 05:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'll consider our blowout wins fluky when it's NOT the top teams in the league who head that category.

Fact is, our style of play makes us hard to handle on some nights and if a goalie isn't on his absolute A-game, and our guys don't put magnets on their pucks like they like to do sometimes, or have double-vision and miss open nets, we can dominate.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 07:32 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
True, but we don't just have a normal amount, we're 1st in the league in blowout wins with I think 10 6+ goal games. Just a pretty flukey season in that regard. The team rarely gets a decent lead of 2 or more goals, but when they do they keep piling on.
Eh, 1 is a fluke. 10 isn't. It's just consistency and inexperience. The talent is there - the finish and luck isn't.

You see in games when we are down by a goal or two - most of the time the team is getting robbed by the goalie or just hitting post after post.

Add to that injuries of our major scorers through out the season (Gaborik, Callahan, Dubinsky, Prospal) and at least 10m of cap hit sitting out of what should be scorers (Frolov and Drury).

Old
03-19-2011, 07:45 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I noticed that as well.

I was actually erally more surprised we have scored around 210 goals this year. It really is a goal scoring by committee team.

This team either doesn't score or puts up 5 plus, there really is no middle ground.

03-19-2011, 09:46 PM
BwayBshirt

The Rangers have 4 20-goal scorers(Gaborik, Callahan, Dubinsky, Boyle), and 2 young guns who could legitimately reach that milestone in Stepan & Anisimov.

Having that many guys in our lineup this season is nothing short of impressive.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Barnaby

Goal differential..

Interesting statistic...

Rangers are 3rd in the Eastern Conference with +36... following only Philly and Boston who are tired at +38.. and fourth in the entire league (Canucks are a whopping +66).

I don't think this stat tells the WHOLE story, but it just goes to show that this young team is DEF headed in the right direction. Particularly, such a young defense that plays so well. I honestly think a legit #1 line (aka - the elusive front line center next to Gabby) could vault this team to serious contenders within a year or two..

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 03:39 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Interesting statistic...

Rangers are 3rd in the Eastern Conference with +36... following only Philly and Boston who are tired at +38.. and fourth in the entire league (Canucks are a whopping +66).

I don't think this stat tells the WHOLE story, but it just goes to show that this young team is DEF headed in the right direction. Particularly, such a young defense that plays so well. I honestly think a legit #1 line (aka - the elusive front line center next to Gabby) could vault this team to serious contenders within a year or two..
I agree... this is an impressive stat that cannot be overlooked. This team has to be considered one of the better teams in the NHL that can realistically make a run at the cup this year.

Look at these stats compared to the rest of the NHL and tell me this is not a team that can make a run in the playoffs

Goal differential: 4th best in the NHL
Goals scored (GF): 6th most in the NHL
Goals against (GA): 7th least in the NHL

Very impressive..

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:51 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Rangers 6th in the NHL in goals scored.

That's a Top-6 offense without the benefit of a healthy/inconsistent Gaborik, a no-show of a season by Del Zotto, a lackluster power play and Callahan missing a bunch of games due to injury.

Who gets all the credit? I think the players who spent the offseason getting into better shape and addressing weaknesses should get most of the credit.

The Rangers are a Top-6 offense. Wow.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:10 PM
NYR Viper

I'm not sure how many people are able, or care to watch the Predators play any games but that is who this team reminds me of so much. Hard-working, grind-it-out, defensive style that no one wants to face in the playoffs. Scoring by committee and great goaltending.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:14 PM
GAGLine

Basically, this has been a tale of 3 seasons for the Rangers. Early on, perhaps the first 1/3rd of the season, we were scoring at or above 3 goals per game. Then we went into a funk for a while where we couldn't seem to score. Now we are back in our groove again.

Just for reference sake though, 8 of our 215 goals are from the shootout. We are tied with calgary for the most SO wins in the league with 8. And we've won our last 3 games 6-3, 6-3 and 5-2. That's going to skew the numbers, no doubt.

We just need to get a little more consistent as a team. I think adding Richards in the offseason, and all the young players maturing, will go a long way toward doing that. If Richards and Gabby can be PPG players, and the others continue to improve, we will be contenders within the next 2 years.

I'd like to keep Dubi-Artie-Cally together and put Richards and Gabby together. Then we just need to figure out who will be the LW on that line. Wolski for now, but maybe one of Grachev or Kreider can eventually take the spot. We could move Dubi up, but the pack line works so well together that I'd rather not break them up.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote