HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nobody is more negative than me

Old
03-19-2011, 09:09 AM
chosen

vCash: 500
Nobody is more negative than me

In regards to the Rangers, but, while I don't think they can win the Cup this year, the only team I can't picture the Rangers beating in the conference is Boston.

This doesn't mean that I think they are better than the other teams in the conference. I just don't think anyone in the conference is decidedly better than the Rangers right now.

Flyers don't look the same as earlier, but they may be temporarily asleep.

Washington goaltending has to prove to me that they are worthy and I lost a lot of respect for the defense of Green last year.

Pitt can't win without Crosby and Malkin and while Crosby may come back, I'd shut him down if I were management there.

The rest are in the same class as the Rangers.

I promise to go back to doom and gloom as soon as reality smacks me in the face again.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:13 AM
TrollololBoyle

Boston is such an overrated team it's ridiculous, we can beat them easily. They are one team I hope we do face in the playoffs.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Groot
I am Groot.

I think we can beat anyone in the playoffs if we're playing like we are right now.

Groot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:18 AM
clmetsfan

I'd add Philly to the unbeatable list. 7-0 win aside, they're just too good top-to-bottom and play a similar game to ours.

I think I'd also be more likely to put Montreal on there instead of Boston, just given our past history.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:21 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I'd add Philly to the unbeatable list. 7-0 win aside, they're just too good top-to-bottom and play a similar game to ours.

I think I'd also be more likely to put Montreal on there instead of Boston, just given our past history.
You're probably right about Philly. They might be going through the motions, at the moment.

Boston scares me way more than Montreal, though. I think they are the only team that could throw the Rangers off their game with physicality.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:23 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Claude Julien hasn't exactly had any great playoff success.

No team in the East in unbeatable and if the Rangers make it which I believe they will, no team in the East wants to play them.

They may not win a series, but whoever would be playing them would be physically bruised and mentally exhausted after that series and have a tough time recovering circa Buffalo 2007.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Ranger Angst

The offense still worries me & I don't see us beating Philly.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:29 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Claude Julien hasn't exactly had any great playoff success.

No team in the East in unbeatable and if the Rangers make it which I believe they will, no team in the East wants to play them.

They may not win a series, but whoever would be playing them would be physically bruised and mentally exhausted after that series and have a tough time recovering circa Buffalo 2007.
That's for sure. I think the over/under on goals scored during a Rangers-Boston seven game series would be around 10

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
I would be worried about Buffalo and Habs within our conference more than anyone else.

Miller gets hot and we will be struggling to put a puck past him.
Habs will be hard if they will higher seeded than us, having one extra game at the forum.

But we need to win more than just 5 out of the remaining games to feel we can beat anyone on a given day. If we win 8 out of the last 10, I think we could go to the finals. momentum is everything!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:46 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
In regards to the Rangers, but, while I don't think they can win the Cup this year, the only team I can't picture the Rangers beating in the conference is Boston.

This doesn't mean that I think they are better than the other teams in the conference. I just don't think anyone in the conference is decidedly better than the Rangers right now.

Flyers don't look the same as earlier, but they may be temporarily asleep.

Washington goaltending has to prove to me that they are worthy and I lost a lot of respect for the defense of Green last year.

Pitt can't win without Crosby and Malkin and while Crosby may come back, I'd shut him down if I were management there.

The rest are in the same class as the Rangers.

I promise to go back to doom and gloom as soon as reality smacks me in the face again.

I'm way more wary of the teams below us than the ones below us.

03-19-2011, 10:54 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

we won 3 in a row. theres some hope we are getting hot at the right time.

if the pp continues to click, we avoid any further injuries, and the foolishness like we saw form sean avery is curtailed, we can make a move here.

if we win, were good.

if we go back to clueless, passionless hockey, not so sure.

sure would be nice to finish the year strong rather than back in to the playoffs.

once we get in, we can prepare for our opponent and ya never know what might happen.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:58 AM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
I really want to play Washington. We've owned them this year.

And Boston doesn't really scare me at all. They've pretty much been "above average" for most of the year, aside from a 2 week stretch where everything clicked. Julien is still a very questionable coach and they don't have a gamebreaker on offense like we do.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:24 AM
JerseyRangers

Boston and Philly both scare me because of their size and because they have Chara and Pronger. In the playoffs the refs put away the whistles and allow more clutching and grabbing then in the regular season. Big d-men like Chara and Pronger usually do well in the playoffs cause of this. Pronger was an absolute force last season in the playoffs and if they let him play his game he will again wreak havoc this year. I'd be much happier to start the playoffs playing TB or Washington.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 12:43 PM
NYRSchrute217

Holy overraction in this thread. Weren't we a terrible team 2 weeks ago? I'm glad I've stayed calm over the time. I could realistically see the Rangers beating any team in the playoffs because they have the potential to be a great team at times.

Philly will be the most difficult to beat, and I'd like to try to avoid them at all costs. They're a similar team to the Rangers, except they are bigger, faster and have much better players offensively. If the Rangers were to play the Flyers in the playoffs, Philly could end it quickly, like in 5 games. However, the Rangers have a clear advantage in net, with Lundqvist over Bobrovsky and Boucher, and as we saw against the Capitals in 2009, Lundqvist can pretty much steal a series on his own.

Boston would be an intriguing matchup. Historically we've always played close games with them. I think we've played like 3 or 4 1-0 games over the last few seasons. They have a better defense than us, with much more playoff experience, but again despite having a great season, I don't think Thomas is as good as Lundqvist. I could see us push them to 6 or 7 and steal the series as well.

I want no part of Tampa Bay, Stamkos and St. Louis are flat out scary and they have our number. Washington has been a choking group in the playoffs and we've destroyed them twice this year, but they've won 10 of 11 and are clicking at the right time. Seems like they're focused on winning in the playoffs this year.

I don't mind playing Pittsburgh without Malkin and Crosby. But Crybaby probably will be back for the playoffs. Rangers-Habs would be a total war, but again they're faster than us and seem to have our number.

My first choice would probably be Boston, because I think we match up the best with them and have had the most success in years past.

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 12:57 PM
msv957

The Rangers have Hank which is a huge advantage.. Nuff said

The rest of the Ranger team is comparable and competitive to most teams in the NHL.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 01:06 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

This team with a top line is dangerous.

Gaborik has been playing like a top line player. (Hell, Cally and Dubi have been too, really.)

That's a recipe for a good team. Get another top line player and we're not fighting for 7th-8th at the end of next season.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Can we revisit this after tomorrow's game?

Seriously... we could get hot and win a couple of games, even a round or two... but be honest... there are teams that could easily shut our offense down, there are teams that could expose our relatively inexperienced blue line, our PP could easily go back to being a game of "pass the puck 'round the perimeter", etc.

It's possible, but we need to make the post-season before we can worry about which teams we may fair better against.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 01:12 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
This team with a top line is dangerous.

Gaborik has been playing like a top line player. (Hell, Cally and Dubi have been too, really.)

That's a recipe for a good team. Get another top line player and we're not fighting for 7th-8th at the end of next season.
Who says we have to get one? Maybe we can develop one. I think Artie is bound to breakout next season. Getting Richards would be nice, but I'm tempted to see what we can do next year with the same team, with the improving young players.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Synergy27

I just want to reiterate to everyone here that Washington is a very, very good team. They have been sand-bagging it this season, playing a style of a hockey that will prepare them to win in the playoffs. And, on top of the fact that they haven't really been playing up to their potential all season, they're somehow still in the race for the conference crown. Also, Boston's defense and goaltending is a horrifying prospect for any playoff opponent.

All of that said, however, the Rangers are the kind of team that is never completely outmatched because they play hard every shift and they care about each other. If they get into the playoffs, they will give whoever they play a long, hard fight, and will be in the mix to surprise some people.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 01:27 PM
MaximusT

As it stands, we'd be playing Washington and to be honest, I really don't want to face them. Yes, we have owned them a few times this year, pretty badly as well. But these are the playoffs, and after what happened last year with Montreal, I don't think Washington will be taking ANYONE lightly. Not to mention the close call they already had against us in 09.
It would definitely be a great series, but I think it will be A LOT harder to beat Washington than most of us expect. They've been playing extremely well as of late, tough defensive style and of course they're going to have #8 on their roster for the next decade. I really hope they choose to start Neuvirth for the playoffs, instead of Varlamov, as I think he's the weaker of the 2 and has no playoff experience.

However, I really hope we're able to continue this streak and make a push for 6th. The difference between finishing 6th and 7th this year is HUGE. Essentially the difference between playing a team like Philly/Washington, or Boston. The latter sounds a lot more attractive if you ask me. I think we would have a great chance to beat Boston in a 7 game series.

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 01:58 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

everybody else has been mentioned so I wont elaborate there.

but if carolina makes it in to the playoffs, that is one team that has shown they can do damage to a playoff opponent that doesnt take them serious.

add to that, the games we did play against them this season were total sandbox scraps.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i think we can beat any team in a 7 game series. i also think any team there can sweep us in a 7 game series. this year is going to be very volatile.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 03:17 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
The only teams I want nothing to do with are Philly and Pitt. They both tend to play us well, no matter who's injured or out.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 03:31 PM
ruckus*

This board is too much.

If someone said this after a three game losing streak heads would roll.

Hell, I spent weeks arguing the same sentiment last year if we just got in.

It's freaking the NHL. Does anyone pay attention to how evenly matched most teams are?

We don't have as many offensive weapons, but when our forecheck is going we generate plenty of chances/goals from that.

Friday was a perfect example of that. When Dubi-Arty-Cally and Prust and Boyle are really going we're in great shape.

We beat other teams down and keep the puck away from them.

I have no doubt we can beat anyone, but I feel that way every year. The only team I really don't want to play is Philadelphia. I just worry about odd man rushes and they're the type of team that buries chances.

My only real concern is I'm not sure that during the course of a playoff schedule with potential back to backs and a condensed schedule how we would be able to keep up that aggressive forecheck.

If we don't forecheck, we look terrible. If we do like we have lately, we look great. It's not hard to see.

We'd have to get a few breaks in my opinion so we win a series 4-1 and hopefully get some extra days rest between series if we were ever to make a run.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 04:03 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
I really want to play Washington. We've owned them this year.

And Boston doesn't really scare me at all. They've pretty much been "above average" for most of the year, aside from a 2 week stretch where everything clicked. Julien is still a very questionable coach and they don't have a gamebreaker on offense like we do.
if washington keeps plaything this way no one will beat them. but come april 10th, everyone is 0-0-0

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote