HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Blackhawks @ Dallas Stars 3/17

Old
03-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Chelios

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
What horrible game. I thought we looked pretty decent the first 10 minutes. I think Bickell not playing really hurt us a lot. Our team has been through the ringer this year and is simply not capable of winning with two important players like Campbell and Bolland out while playing with a short bench on top of it.

That being said, everyone played like garbage except the goalies, who were only average in their own right
-Although the Turco play was brutal, we we're better off with him passing the puck than our defense and that is just plain sad when you think about it.

Defense was horrible
-I don't even understand how we gave up so many odd man rushes. We were playing at half speed and turning it over at light speed. Those were clean breaks in on our net; reminded me of NHL 11.
-Seabrook needs to learn how to play a 2 on 1; at this point a veteran or coach needs to get in his face and tell him on a 2 on 1, YOU TAKE OUT THE GUY WITHOUT THE PUCK, LET THE GOALIE TAKE THE SHOOTER, SHOULD HAVE LEARNED THAT IN PEE WEE SEABS, ALL YOU DO IS FALL FLAT TO THE ICE AND GIVE THEM A SLAM DUNK PASS LIKE YOU DID AGAINST COOKE AND EVERYONE ELSE YOU USED THAT TIRED INNEFFECTIVE PLAY ON
Do you really want to go over this again? Every 2 on 1 is different, but for the majority you take away the pass and make the puck carrier make a great play. You don't just blindly take the man without the puck and let the puck carrier have a free pass to the net.

I think the biggest problem tonight was the forwards not playing well defensively. Sure, it looks horrible as a defenseman when you pinch and it ends up as an odd man break. But that is how the Hawk's defence plays: very aggressive, and that is why we have been so successful the last couple years. The problem is that if the forwards are not covering the pinching defenceman, and/or not back checking hard enough it falls apart.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Couldn't agree more and I'll supply the garbage can at center ice!

Sharp, Kane and Toews-totally confused out there tonight.

Anyone ever considered covering the point when the D pinches?

Crawford- Not his best night, obviously.

Bickell-missing; Brouwer- Missing in Action

Keith- i honestly don't know what his problem is this season. Sometimes it appears that he is literally dizzy???
Exactly.

Old
03-18-2011, 10:38 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
Do you really want to go over this again? Every 2 on 1 is different, but for the majority you take away the pass and make the puck carrier make a great play. You don't just blindly take the man without the puck and let the puck carrier have a free pass to the net.

I think the biggest problem tonight was the forwards not playing well defensively. Sure, it looks horrible as a defenseman when you pinch and it ends up as an odd man break. But that is how the Hawk's defence plays: very aggressive, and that is why we have been so successful the last couple years. The problem is that if the forwards are not covering the pinching defenceman, and/or not back checking hard enough it falls apart.
I haven't been impressed with the offensive production of our defense this year, but regardless, you're right that the forwards need to do a better job of covering for them. As I stated, I think fatigue was a major factor because we didn't look that bad for most of the 1st. As far as the 2 on 1's go, Seabrook tries to do it all and ends up doing nothing. When he goes down like that, any decent set of forwards are going to recognize that and pull up just a little to get a clean pass through. Just a personal opinion, but unless you're blocking a shot or pass (and I mean you better be 100% you've got it), don't let your skates leave the ice. There's no control and no time to recover.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:51 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Going into a season planning to use Dowell as your third line pivot is certainly a risk. Having him play their due to injury? Acceptable.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I haven't been impressed with the offensive production of our defense this year, but regardless, you're right that the forwards need to do a better job of covering for them. As I stated, I think fatigue was a major factor because we didn't look that bad for most of the 1st. As far as the 2 on 1's go, Seabrook tries to do it all and ends up doing nothing. When he goes down like that, any decent set of forwards are going to recognize that and pull up just a little to get a clean pass through. Just a personal opinion, but unless you're blocking a shot or pass (and I mean you better be 100% you've got it), don't let your skates leave the ice. There's no control and no time to recover.
Again, I think it comes down to backpressure from the forwards/defence partner. Given enough time, you are right, any NHLer can make a play around the defenceman. But with good backpressure, going down to take away the pass is a perfectly good play.

Old
03-18-2011, 11:22 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

I have only seen the 1st period and will agonize through the rest this evening but the night certainly got off to a horrendous start before the puck even dropped:
We are down to the last dozen games of the season. Every game is of utmost importance and to not have a contingency plan if a player canít go, is inexcusable. Someone in the Hawks organization needs to be accountable for the Hawks icing only 17 players last night and not having a player or two on stand-by just in case. This is not rocket science.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 11:35 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Yep, you're right, we could be carrying someone extra right now and have chosen not to. No excuses for that, period.

Last edited by digdug41982: 03-18-2011 at 11:55 AM.
digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:46 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
John Scott may very well have been our second best defenseman last night. We played atrocious defense, forwards included.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:59 PM
madgoat33

John Scott actually played decent for being a pylon. Keith and Seabrook were flat out laughable.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 04:06 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Disgrace of the game. Watching the PG interviews, you can tell how Seabrook, Toews, Coach Q and Turco all feel. Jon and Seabs seemed more sad about everything, but they all said we needed to forget this game, because those are 2 points that aren't coming back.

We need to learn from the mistakes and take out the anger and disappoint on the Coyotes.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I have only seen the 1st period and will agonize through the rest this evening but the night certainly got off to a horrendous start before the puck even dropped:
We are down to the last dozen games of the season. Every game is of utmost importance and to not have a contingency plan if a player canít go, is inexcusable. Someone in the Hawks organization needs to be accountable for the Hawks icing only 17 players last night and not having a player or two on stand-by just in case. This is not rocket science.
2nd period is worse to watch as is the 3rd

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 06:52 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

It was awful to watch. I think this game was simply a matter of the 1st line struggling, and no other lines to take up the slack. Toews was awful, Kane was worse and Sharp was non existent. Missing 3 starters didn't help nor did the slush they call ice in Dallas. The non call on Ott (and the penalty to Keith on the same play nullifying our, ahem, pp) spelled the end for this game. Credit Dallas however; nothing pretty, they did what needed to be done.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 02:18 PM
MadHouse

nvm.

MadHouse is offline   Reply With Quote