HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Trade Price

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 10:44 AM
flambers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderama
it's Eklund

I think that is the same guy who said the Ducks would draft Bobby Ryan and let me see everyone blasted that until Fan590 said it as well. Get over it, the Eklund bashing is getting stupid.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:45 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever
I don't quite now what sort of halucinogens the Habs' management was on today but its obvious #5 mistake Carey Price has to go. The team has no need or place for him but does need a big, rushing d-man (then again, who doesn't) or an offensive sparkplug. Can somone come up with a possible deal that helps solve this mistake?
I'm still upset about the pick, but at this point trading him would only make the situation even more stupid. They saw something in him they like and our best bet is to give him time and let him be the starter 5 years from now.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:57 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

If the Kings had 5th overall and drafted Price instead of Kopitar, I would have been pretty angry. I can understand the frustration of the Hab fans. But I look at it like this:

- Hab scouts felt Price was the best person available
- If they wanted to manage their assets better, they could have tried to trade down, but they didn't want to trade down too far for fear of falling out of the range of Price.
- But at the same time, the teams nearby apparently already had their minds set on particular players and didn't want to trade down
*Columbus seemed more than ready to grab Gilbert Brule
*Chicago might bite, but it was only two spots down; if they had their eye on Skille to begin with, why trade up?
*Atlanta was trading DOWN, not up
*Senators could have taken Price, but also had no need to trade up considering Lee probably would have been available late in the first round.
*Canucks also could have taken Price

Price was a top 10 pick amongst many scouting services and mock drafts. Didn't seem like a consensus top 5... but it takes two people to trade. You can't blame them if they can't find a partner to bite/don't want to trade down too far for fear of losing who they feel is the best person.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:30 PM
Thomas

Send a message via MSN to Thomas
I do not understand why it is so hard to believe the Habs felt Price was the 5th best player in the draft. Who cares where he was rated by scouting services. They are not the basis by which to judge picks, teams have professional scouts that may be more qualified than the scouts used to make the other rankings.

The Habs chose a character goaltender who's technique was admired by the Habs goalie coach Rollie Melanson. I'll take the word of a premier goalie coach and developer over what certain scouting services have to say.

The Habs since Andre Savard have always gone for the best player available regardless of position, and they stuck to their strategy yesterday. Sure Brule would have been nice, but Price does have franchise goaltender upside.

Fans are too quick to assume that as soon as a player hits 27 years old he will be packing his bags and going elsewhere. And who knows what the FA age is 7 years from now with yet another CBA.

Price now has time to develop properly. With Theodore, Huet and Danis, Price can develop at the proper rate. He can finish off his CHL career and then gain experience in the AHL before needing to make the jump to the NHL. Blackburn and Fleury had to be rushed into a starting position which did nothing but hurt their confidence. Drafting a goalie now will allow Price to make the jump when hes ready rather than when hes needed.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:34 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
I do not understand why it is so hard to believe the Habs felt Price was the 5th best player in the draft. Who cares where he was rated by scouting services. They are not the basis by which to judge picks, teams have professional scouts that may be more qualified than the scouts used to make the other rankings.

The Habs chose a character goaltender who's technique was admired by the Habs goalie coach Rollie Melanson. I'll take the word of a premier goalie coach and developer over what certain scouting services have to say.

The Habs since Andre Savard have always gone for the best player available regardless of position, and they stuck to their strategy yesterday. Sure Brule would have been nice, but Price does have franchise goaltender upside.

Fans are too quick to assume that as soon as a player hits 27 years old he will be packing his bags and going elsewhere. And who knows what the FA age is 7 years from now with yet another CBA.

Price now has time to develop properly. With Theodore, Huet and Danis, Price can develop at the proper rate. He can finish off his CHL career and then gain experience in the AHL before needing to make the jump to the NHL. Blackburn and Fleury had to be rushed into a starting position which did nothing but hurt their confidence. Drafting a goalie now will allow Price to make the jump when hes ready rather than when hes needed.
Wow! A post that makes sense!

Old
07-31-2005, 01:01 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

This pick makes alot of sense. The Habs don't have an elite starting goalie in their system. Theodore won't be there for ever. Danis is 1/2 type guy like Manny Fernandez and Jaroslav Halak and Chris Heino-Lindberg may be backups and Olivier Michaud and Loic Lacasse are busts.

Old
07-31-2005, 04:15 PM
MojoJojo

The problem with BPA is that goalies have less trade value than forwards and defensemen taken in the draft. Firstly, goalies are much harder to predict how well they will develop. Second, they typically take much longer to develop than any other position, and often arent ready for full time duty until they are in their mid twenties. If Price isnt ready to take over until he's 24, you basically get 3 years of him until he is a free agent. Two years from now, Brule will almost certainly be playing in the NHL, and there is a good chance he will be contributing on a top line. If it appears that Montreal needs a defenseman, or a forward, or even a new goalie in two years, they would get far more for an NHL ready Brule than for a future questionmark in Price.

Old
07-31-2005, 06:26 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg16
This pick makes alot of sense. The Habs don't have an elite starting goalie in their system. Theodore won't be there for ever. Danis is 1/2 type guy like Manny Fernandez and Jaroslav Halak and Chris Heino-Lindberg may be backups and Olivier Michaud and Loic Lacasse are busts.

I don't see the reason why the Habs wouldn't pick him and keep him. He's not likely to be starter material for at least 5 years. Theodore will be mid 30s by then, assuming he hasn't UFA'd off somewhere else by then. Sounds like a reasonable pick to me.

Old
07-31-2005, 06:38 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Not crazy about the pick personally since I don't think goalies should be picked in the top 10 since they have such odd development curves. There are at least 4 or 5 guys I would have rather had.

But one reason the Habs picked Price may be his height. He's 6'3 and if the new larger nets are incorporated in the next few years, taller goalies will have an advantage. Theodore already has trouble with the top corners, and that may only get worse with the larger nets. Gainey may just be looking ahead.

Old
07-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Perry Turnbull

Goalie's values

As a hab fan, I must say I'm pretty angry they passed on Brulé.

But is it possible, after all, that with the new rules on goalie equipment, and the stronger than ever will to open up the game, that the value spread between an OK goalie and a great goalie will be bigger than ever in the next few years. I mean, with the game being so defensive, what's the difference between the top goalie and the 15th best right now in terms of GAA and Save%. But look at that difference in times of great offense, 1980's for example. So doesn't the new rules on goalies and offensive play increase the value of the top goalie in a draft, especially a 6'2 205lbs goalie with quick lateral movements ?

Just food for thought. Looking to get other's opinions on this.

Old
07-31-2005, 09:23 PM
Jakomyte

I was shocked at first about the pick, until i realized that we have no Franchise Goalie prospect (I see Danis peaking as a decent starter of the Osgood variety) and about 4-5 Brulé-esque players in our system. Good pick in my opinion.

My only real beef with the Habs draft is that we didn't increase our defensive depth in the later rounds, although they said they had a few QMJHL guys in sight, but lost them when they got picked by another team.

Old
08-01-2005, 02:05 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi
just in time to become a UFA
Some of you guys must have failed math. Assuming he breaks into the league at 22-23, Habs get 4-5 seasons out of him. Hell, he may even break in at 20.

I honestly don't get this fear of goaltenders being lost to free agency. A lot of the bigger forwards and defencemen won't hit their prime until they're 25-26, whereas a goaltender can shine early on.

What would you rather have?:
3 great seasons of a top flight goaltender
or
4 mediocre seasons + 2 stellar years from a power forward

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 08-01-2005 at 03:35 AM.
Old
08-01-2005, 02:06 AM
Traitor8

WOW!

Every single player choosen is a UFA at age 27 so what's your point?!?!?!?

Closed Thread