HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks recall F Victor Oreskovich(post#76)

Old
03-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 500
Oreskovich seems like the best candidate to be 4th line centre at this time - don't know about his face-off skills but he has the speed, size and length to cover a lot of ice and is defensively responsible. Lots of times our centres end up in a battle for the puck in front of our net and seems to me he'd be good there. Plus he doesn't handle the puck like a grenade. Hodgson on the other hand has nowhere near the speed or strength, and I'm not as sure about defensive zone coverage - just not what is needed on the 4th line.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 04:10 PM
DrChill

I think we should be doing lines
If Raymond center
Sedin sedin burr
Higgins kesler Sammy
Tamby ramona Hansen
Torres Lappy Oreo

Or

Sedin sedin burr
Tamby kesler Higgins
Hansen Raymond Sammy
Torres Lappy Oreo

DrChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 04:11 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Hopefully he puts all those benchpress reps to use this time around.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Oreskovich seems like the best candidate to be 4th line centre at this time - don't know about his face-off skills but he has the speed, size and length to cover a lot of ice and is defensively responsible. Lots of times our centres end up in a battle for the puck in front of our net and seems to me he'd be good there. Plus he doesn't handle the puck like a grenade. Hodgson on the other hand has nowhere near the speed or strength, and I'm not as sure about defensive zone coverage - just not what is needed on the 4th line.
He was a centre in junior (Tier 2) and was considered an excellent passer when drafted by the Avalanche

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 03:07 PM
BorussiaDortmund

From Kuzma:

#Canucks re-assign Oreskovich to #Moose. Glass (upper body) closer to being game ready for four-game trip that starts Wednesday in Detroit.

BorussiaDortmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Dado

vCash:
Seems like the closer we get to the playoffs, the more it's ABH.

Old
03-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Proto

Oreskovich was bad last night. #Adios

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 06:18 PM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Oreskovich was bad last night. #Adios
during last nights game, he had 3 tries to clear the puck away in the defending zone.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 06:37 PM
opendoor

It's got little to do with how good or bad Oreskovich was. He was recalled under emergency conditions (they did this so he didn't count against their 4 post deadline call ups), so he had to be returned to the AHL as soon as the team had 12 healthy forwards. Since they expect Glass to suit up next game, they couldn't have kept him up for next game even if they wanted to.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 08:57 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

My thinking is that if the Nucks really thought that Malhotra's injury was season ending
They would of called up Hodgson instead of Oreskovich

Sure Cody's not as big, strong, fast or has the faceoff skills that Manny has,
but he is the closest thing they've got and he could of grown into the 3rd line role with his game, which is more offense.
That's what Philly did with Claude Giroux last year, and now he's leading the Flyers in scoring.

Raymond is not a center and he doesn't belong on the 4th line
These 4 call ups are extremely valuable, so using one on Oreskovich is a bit puzzling

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
during last nights game, he had 3 tries to clear the puck away in the defending zone.
He was noticeably bad, for sure. It's been a bit of back and forth/up and down between the Nucks and the Moose for him, but he has to show better than that.

Methinks one of Hodgson, Volpatti or Bliznak will be the next guy to get the call. TSN's writeup today certainly doesn't sound very optimistic about Tanner Glass combing back any time soon.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:08 PM
VanEric

I think they just called up Oreskovich because he was the last guy here, Manitoba is in a playoff push and the Canucks don't play again until Tuesday anyway.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
I think they just called up Oreskovich because he was the last guy here, Manitoba is in a playoff push and the Canucks don't play again until Tuesday anyway.
I would agree with this rationale for calling him up. He actually was looking pretty good before the deadline--I think he'd settled in a bit. But this last game was just awful, that one shift where he had multiple chances to move the puck and lost it in particular.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:16 PM
quat
vapid but stately

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I would agree with this rationale for calling him up. He actually was looking pretty good before the deadline--I think he'd settled in a bit. But this last game was just awful, that one shift where he had multiple chances to move the puck and lost it in particular.
While I agree that shift was a bit of a laugher, he wasn't all that bad in the game.

As for being reassigned, I sure can't figure it out.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 12:57 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
While I agree that shift was a bit of a laugher, he wasn't all that bad in the game.

As for being reassigned, I sure can't figure it out.
He was technically speaking an emergency callup because i think we had less than 12 skaters with Glass out. Once Glass is believed to be coming back, they needed to re-assign him. Glass is coming back, so bye-bye to Oreskovich.

Quote:
The Canucks recalled winger Victor Oreskovich from the American Hockey League’s Manitoba Moose on an emergency basis, which does not count against their recall limit.

NHL teams are allowed four recalls after the trade deadline and before the end of their minor league team’s season (including playoffs). The Canucks have used one.

Gillis said that the choice of Oreskovich was “not a judgment on Cody [Hodgson] whatsoever.” The organization’s top prospect is a natural centre, and the Canucks are carrying only three centremen with Malhotra out of the lineup. Hodgson was bypassed, but not because the Canucks lack sufficient salary-cap space.

Hodgson and the Moose are in first-place of the AHL’s North Division. They are likely to make the playoffs and compete into mid-April, when the Stanley Cup playoffs begin. Gillis said he did not want to be caught in a predicament where he was out of recalls in the playoffs.

“We have to be very careful,” he said. “We may run into a problem down the road.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1946422/

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote