HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fisher mistake?

Old
03-18-2011, 09:19 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 500
I think we're just seeing the "Trotz Effect" that every player goes through when they arrive in Nashville regarding their stats. Trotz could turn Martin St. Louis into Doug Jarvis and make Paul Kariya a bona fide Kris Draper.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 05:34 PM
IngloriusBuzzards

Fisher isn't 100%, that certainly has something to do with his piss poor production.... All that said, I really wasn't stoked about Fisher. Yea, he is a solid pickup and may fit our system somewhat - but he's just another center who CAN'T SCORE! He is not the answer to our problems. Still, other than some grit down low, and being decent in the faceoff circle - he sucks just as much as our other guys who suck at putting the puck in the net. My god, it took 3 guys to put the game tying goal in the net last night! I still can't believe we are talking about the playoffs with our dismal offense.... It's mind boggling at times. Without Rinne, we are the worst team in the league. THAT is the cold reality.

Oh yea - did anyone else notice how weak we were last night on the physical play? NO ONE was hard on their guy - NO ONE! Geoffrion in particular has absolutley NO physical presence whatsoever.... God, I love this team but we can't score and don't play mean. Trotz is a damn miracle worker.

IngloriusBuzzards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 05:53 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
I think we're just seeing the "Trotz Effect" that every player goes through when they arrive in Nashville regarding their stats. Trotz could turn Martin St. Louis into Doug Jarvis and make Paul Kariya a bona fide Kris Draper.
You picked the wrong analogy. Trotz resurrected Kariya's career. Remember Sullivan on an absolute tear when we first acquired him. Dumont, career years. Arnott, resurrected career.

I think Fisher is 1) hurt, 2) gripping the stick too tight, and 3) scoring-line challenged to begin with.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Risotto

do you all think the preds knew the extent of the injury he was playing with all season? or did the sens downplay the injury and hence the preds felt more comfortable giving the first rounder.

Risotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risotto View Post
do you all think the preds knew the extent of the injury he was playing with all season? or did the sens downplay the injury and hence the preds felt more comfortable giving the first rounder.
In Ottawa when ever Fisher played bad people would make the excuse "he must be injured". This is just how good he is. Each season you expect more but he gives you less. I think the Preds looked at this as a market ploy because of Carrie Underwood. Then the fact he was an average player could help convince people that this was better than it was. I think he is playing worse now to be honest. I would say in the next 5 - 10 games he will get a few points here and there and may even get a multi-point game before the season is over.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Jarnberg

Of course he was a mistake. He has been a good energy guy who has saved a few goals with his backchecking and defensive play. That is all well and good except this team needs scoring. The assets used to get Mike Fisher (not to mention cap space) should have been used to get a scoring winger. Dustin Penner is the obvious comparable. He cost a bit more (a defensive prospect, we don't have any of those) but I feel would have helped our scoring woes more than Fisher and worth the extra cost.

Jarnberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Mike fisher is hopelessly overrated.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:21 AM
hockey diva

Fisher is playing hurt. I had the bench seats for Tuesday's game and he was in obviously pain almost every time he came off the ice. Not that excuses everything of course. I do think he is trying too hard as well. We were not going to get Penner. We didn't need a winger, we were running out of centres. I personally would have been happy to let Ellis go for some help on the offensive side. But Poile and staff seem to have a boner for him and don't seem inclined to let him go.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 12:06 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
In Ottawa when ever Fisher played bad people would make the excuse "he must be injured". This is just how good he is. Each season you expect more but he gives you less. I think the Preds looked at this as a market ploy because of Carrie Underwood. Then the fact he was an average player could help convince people that this was better than it was. I think he is playing worse now to be honest. I would say in the next 5 - 10 games he will get a few points here and there and may even get a multi-point game before the season is over.
This isn't how the Preds operate. There is no way this team can take on a contract like Fisher's just because people here know who his wife is. We needed help filling in for injuries down the middle, and Nashville was one of the places, if not the only place, Fisher was willing to go to. I guess in that sense his wife played a role, but the people here who care who he is married to probably have trouble recalling his name, and won't go to any Preds games just to see "Mr. Underwood". I think Peter Forsberg put to rest the idea that marketing names is going to grow hockey here. It won't help nearly as much as providing a good atmosphere and keeping the team competitive.

Whether or not he is playing hurt, I don't know. Most hockey players are playing at least a little dinged up at this point in the season, so the chances are good he has some nagging injury.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 12:21 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
I think the Preds looked at this as a market ploy because of Carrie Underwood.
Can anyone enlighten me as to how they have/plan to use her as a marketing ploy? Has she been on commercials/billboards/brought her country buddies/anything? Are there plans to?

If not, and I doubt there really will be anything of impact on that front, that seems like a useless reason to spend a 1st round pick and about 4 million dollars for the next couple of years.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
Can anyone enlighten me as to how they have/plan to use her as a marketing ploy? Has she been on commercials/billboards/brought her country buddies/anything? Are there plans to?

If not, and I doubt there really will be anything of impact on that front, that seems like a useless reason to spend a 1st round pick and about 4 million dollars for the next couple of years.
She came to Ottawa all the time and accompanied him to almost every charity event he went to while she was here. That is part of the marketing ploy not billboards. When entertainment tonight talks about Carrie they will probably throw in a line about Fisher when talking about Nashville. When she does charitable things he will most likely tag a long representing the Preds. The one thing he did alot in Ottawa was donate time to charitable causes. He is a really good guy and the best example of a role model to kids.

Nashville needs to expand their brand because they are not a traditional hockey market. I', not saying the only reason they traded for him was because of his marriage but it played a part. Besides, Murray said he had other offers but that he wanted to do right to such a loyal player for the organization and community.

Old
03-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Fisher is playing hurt. I had the bench seats for Tuesday's game and he was in obviously pain almost every time he came off the ice. Not that excuses everything of course. I do think he is trying too hard as well. We were not going to get Penner. We didn't need a winger, we were running out of centres. I personally would have been happy to let Ellis go for some help on the offensive side. But Poile and staff seem to have a boner for him and don't seem inclined to let him go.
Fisher always played hurt in Ottawa too. Personally a lot of us got tired of it and kept saying sit the guy until he is healthy because he is not really helping us hurt.

At the beginning of the season he was not hurt and managed 8 points in 20 games. At some point you will run out of excuses for him. In Ottawa what hurt him was his new contract. Too much for what he can do. To me he is worth 2.5-3 tops.

Old
03-19-2011, 02:25 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Fisher always played hurt in Ottawa too. Personally a lot of us got tired of it and kept saying sit the guy until he is healthy because he is not really helping us hurt.

At the beginning of the season he was not hurt and managed 8 points in 20 games. At some point you will run out of excuses for him. In Ottawa what hurt him was his new contract. Too much for what he can do. To me he is worth 2.5-3 tops.
haha sounds awfully familiar to what is said about Legwand a lot. Fair enough

Old
03-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Risotto

Quote:
perhaps that is due to his playing style, so hoping for a healthy fisher for most of the season is unrealistic, unlike a player like nick lidstrom. knowing how to play without getting hurt too much is a skill in itself.

caphit doesnt matter for the preds since they are so far from the ceiling.

Risotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 04:22 PM
predfan98

Quote:
She came to Ottawa all the time and accompanied him to almost every charity event he went to while she was here. That is part of the marketing ploy not billboards. When entertainment tonight talks about Carrie they will probably throw in a line about Fisher when talking about Nashville. When she does charitable things he will most likely tag a long representing the Preds. The one thing he did alot in Ottawa was donate time to charitable causes. He is a really good guy and the best example of a role model to kids.

Nashville needs to expand their brand because they are not a traditional hockey market. I', not saying the only reason they traded for him was because of his marriage but it played a part. Besides, Murray said he had other offers but that he wanted to do right to such a loyal player for the organization and community.
sorry, country music stars are a dime a dozen around here. we trip over them at starbucks..

to think that a cash strapped, mid cap range team would trade for someone because of their wife and marketing.....

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
sorry, country music stars are a dime a dozen around here. we trip over them at starbucks..

to think that a cash strapped, mid cap range team would trade for someone because of their wife and marketing.....
Nice how you took only a part from a sentence to prove some point.

Old
03-19-2011, 08:55 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:

And Predfan98 is joking. The smilies are the hint.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 03:21 AM
Predsrule

Was the marriage why they did it? no.. but come on we all know it was at least in the back of their minds.

Still not a fan of the deal, we got something we had lots of as at the time (Goc wasn't hurt). I feel what we needed was a true game breaker..
That being said its not all bad as its 4mill next year and 3 mill after that.
all and all long as we dont end up losing Suter or Weber while paying a 3rd line center 4mill I will be ok with it.

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 06:46 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

It wasn't a mistake in hindsight. We needed depth at center even before Goc went down, Fisher provided that.

He's still not as good as I thought he'd be. He had a good game last night though.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:38 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:

To be fair, initially you did say the Preds looked at this as a marketing ploy. Of course you later cleared that up by saying you weren't trying to say it's the only reason for the trade, but the marriage played a role. I do agree, I just think it was more of a "Ottawa: Hey we're trying to get younger here because we all of the sudden suck and need to, you know, actually rebuild instead of being like Toronto... mind waving your NTC?" "Fisher: Well, I really like it here, but I am married to a country music star. I am a team player, so I guess if you need me gone I'd love to go to Nashville for her"

Nashville needed forward depth after injuries, and since we had both Lombardi and O'Reilly down at the time we needed a center that could give us some more flexibility. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if some of the owners jokingly told Poile to try to get "Mr. Underwood" at least a few times since the wedding, but at the end of the day it was a move to try to strengthen our hockey club, plain and simple. It worked for Ottawa because they want to get younger in their rebuild. It worked for Nashville because we already had a couple of centers down and then Goc got hurt. If anyone expected anything more than a grittier Legwand with less scoring ability I guess they're disappointed. I didn't want to make the trade for Fisher, but I'm also not the GM.

Old
03-20-2011, 12:18 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
It wasn't a mistake in hindsight. We needed depth at center even before Goc went down, Fisher provided that.

He's still not as good as I thought he'd be. He had a good game last night though.
For this season, that's been the case.

Was it mistake for the seasons beyond? That's a more interesting discussion.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 12:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Most of the commentary coming from Ottawa camp is 'throw him at right wing.' He's been paired with Colin Wilson and both can play center.

Next year is going to be interesting only because there will be a lot of Center options: Fisher, Lombardi, Legwand, Smithson, Spaling, O'Reilly, Wilson.

If anything, I wonder if there should be center pairings to throw wings on like this

Lombardi
Fisher-Wilson
Legwand
Spaling-Smithson
O'Reilly

Then plug and play, Erat, Kostitsyn, Halischuk, Geoffrion, Dumont, Tootoo, Hornqvist.

If you look at the roster numbers I think the Preds will be more concerned about getting Two-ways for some of the RFA's to get more roster flexibility. Goc and Ward have been good pieces to the Predators puzzle but if Halischuk pulls an 'O'Reilly' and pushes for a one way then the roster won't have the room for UFA signings. (Unless Dumont is bought out)

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
To be fair, initially you did say the Preds looked at this as a marketing ploy. Of course you later cleared that up by saying you weren't trying to say it's the only reason for the trade, but the marriage played a role. I do agree, I just think it was more of a "Ottawa: Hey we're trying to get younger here because we all of the sudden suck and need to, you know, actually rebuild instead of being like Toronto... mind waving your NTC?" "Fisher: Well, I really like it here, but I am married to a country music star. I am a team player, so I guess if you need me gone I'd love to go to Nashville for her"

Nashville needed forward depth after injuries, and since we had both Lombardi and O'Reilly down at the time we needed a center that could give us some more flexibility. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if some of the owners jokingly told Poile to try to get "Mr. Underwood" at least a few times since the wedding, but at the end of the day it was a move to try to strengthen our hockey club, plain and simple. It worked for Ottawa because they want to get younger in their rebuild. It worked for Nashville because we already had a couple of centers down and then Goc got hurt. If anyone expected anything more than a grittier Legwand with less scoring ability I guess they're disappointed. I didn't want to make the trade for Fisher, but I'm also not the GM.
With a fill healthy team were does Fisher fit? I can understand due to injuries he helps but aside from that I don't think he improves what is lacking in Nashville. I could see Nashville moving some of the other players now they have so many of the same skill level at centre.

Old
03-20-2011, 01:08 PM
predfan98

Quote:
With a fill healthy team were does Fisher fit? I can understand due to injuries he helps but aside from that I don't think he improves what is lacking in Nashville. I could see Nashville moving some of the other players now they have so many of the same skill level at centre.
he or leggy on the wing!! remember those few games that leggy got to fly on the wing rather than being in the middle. Be still my heart

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:39 AM
SilverSeven

You need to play him on wing.

Good luck with it though. There have always been rumours in Ottawa that Fish refused to play wing. It sounds like BS, but when you consider that he was never put there, it makes you wonder. The guy is made to be a winger.

Fisher is hurt a lot. Like, almost always, so get used to that. He has been disappointing the last few years. Seems to play without the anger he used to have. Really hard to pinpoint whats up with him. Despite his career points high last season, he just wasnt as good as he had been in the past.

Wish him the best though. Part of me thinks (hopes?) that maybe the guy is still a little torn up over leaving Ottawa, and that might be whats going on now. There are few players in professional sports that have dedicated themselves to a team and community the way Fisher did with Ottawa.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote