HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Blues - 03/17/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2011, 10:34 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Sound and sagely advice.

I am gonna take it and run.

Thanks nocturn.

Old
03-18-2011, 11:25 PM
T2M

I'll jump in here again, if only because I think the people who say "don't boo, try to give the team a boost for the third" have a legitimate point. Sure, come out and cheer the boys if you think that's going to motivate them. It might even work, although I'm getting jaded as I get older and I think that the team works for me, no fan should have to pay money to work for the team. However, some people want to really encourage the best out of the players and it's a legitimate psychological tactic.

That said, I know that when somebody criticizes me, I personally get an "Oh yeah?" attitude. I want to prove them wrong and I'll work as hard as I have to to shut them up. The booing could have, and I would say should have, had that effect on the team. Yes, both booing and cheering should have the same result: players who step up their game to show the fans that they are capable of more than they are giving at that moment. However, there is no reason why fans shouldn't tell the players they are a huge disappointment during the game and expect the players to respond in a way that makes the fans shut up. Let's face it, if the Kings came out early in the third and scored right away, those boos turn into loud cheers in a hurry and the booing would have been not only well deserved, but would have served a purpose too.

T2M

Old
03-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
I was at the game and didn't boo but I understood it. There is no right answer here. Some people boo because they give up on the team. Some people boo because they want to voice their displeasure at seeing the team they love play like stirfried dog ****. Some people boo because they looked at the shot totals. Some people boo because they spent a lot of money and they perceive that the players don't care. Doesn't make them any more or less of a fan than anyone else. Kind of pointless to analyze, criticize, or try and correct thousands of people's reaction to something at a sporting event.

Old
03-19-2011, 12:06 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I was at the game and didn't boo but I understood it. There is no right answer here. Some people boo because they give up on the team. Some people boo because they want to voice their displeasure at seeing the team they love play like stirfried dog ****. Some people boo because they looked at the shot totals. Some people boo because they spent a lot of money and they perceive that the players don't care. Doesn't make them any more or less of a fan than anyone else. Kind of pointless to analyze, criticize, or try and correct thousands of people's reaction to something at a sporting event.
I agree but will add that simply because they bought a ticket to the game doesn't make them any more or less of a fan either. In the end it has happened, some agree with what happened and some don't, this forum served its purpose in that it gave fans of the Kings the opportunity to discuss/debate their feelings on the matter.

I would also add that following that same logic then we the fans have to allow for what TM and DD said in response to those same actions. All being entitled to their own opinions and reacting the way that they each deem to be acceptable.

Old
03-19-2011, 12:54 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Then you are asking your team to do something that you yourself aren't willing to do and that is give it your all until the end. Play to the whistle all the time giving all of your effort all the time.

If you give up on them after two periods how is that going to help lift the team into trying harder to win?

It isn't.

As to the mental toughness of the team it has to be demoralizing to hear your fans give up on you no matter who you are and what team you play for. That to me is why it was a BS thing to do booing the team before the end of the game was simply quitting on them and then expecting them not to do the same for you. Which to their credit they didn't do but I can bet you that it stung for them to lose the support of the fans when some of them are playing injured, giving their all and having a ton of success only to have last night happen.

That is why it mattered that it happened when the team still had plenty of time to come back and win the game. We gave up on them in a situation where they had come back from before.
Did you honestly think the Kings were going to turn the game around after two periods when they had 6 total shots on goal?

They were clearly in neutral last night and deserved to hear boos after just two periods.

Old
03-19-2011, 01:05 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
As for TM's comments, its not like everyone of us on this board did not fear how the team would play coming off a road trip, and particularly against St Louis.
Good point.

Read the GDT. Most of the posters were commenting on how they were expecting a trap game. Why is that? Why should the fans become accustomed to a trap game every time the team returns from a road trip?

Is Murray the only one who doesn't get it? He's horrible at preparing the team for games.

Old
03-19-2011, 01:07 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
People boo because they care.

Old
03-19-2011, 01:23 AM
Whiskeypete

as fans we have two ways of showing our emotion, cheering and booing (whistling for the the Euro football fans). after two periods last night what should those displeased with the team's effort should have done? cheer? how the hell could anyone cheer for that pile of crap that was expended (even that sounds to much because the team didn't appear to expend anything) on the ice? it literally was like watching a bunch of people that didn't want to be there, but people pay to watch. as fans that is their right - wrong or right.

when there is 18K+ in the stands do you think players hear anything? in most cases no, because they block out much of the noise and hear/concentrate only what they hear on the ice. the only thing they will hear is the overall 'buzz' of a crowd and that is cheering or booing depending on the mood of the crowd. as players progress in levels they learn to block out pretty much everything so they can concentrate on whats happening around them, not some schmo sitting in section 107 yelling at them.

as fans that leaves the general 'buzz' of booing or cheering for players to key into as a way of showing our support (positive or negative). when they left the ice after the 2nd and were booed, it was the fan's way of saying 'hey schleps wake the f up, play some hockey, score some goals and win this game'. i posted in the GT that i wouldnt be surprised if TMu swapped Quick for Bernier. i still think he should have as a way of shaking the team up and saying 'wake the hell up and use the last 20mins to ice this thing'. not as a means to put the blame on JQ, but merely as a tool to shake the team up out the funk/slumber/incoherence whatever the hell they were in. fans booing is the same as a coach voicing or yelling his displeasure, or teammates getting on each other.

personally i still thought they were going to pull a W out that debacle last night in the last 20 mins, but they exhibited the fragile psyche that is this team and couldn't do it. further more the coach and many fans followed suit and still feel the need to coddle the team when they don't show even the slightest effort. ive got a feeling the Kings locker room is fragile and quiet. the performance they put forth in the 3rd happens when teammates don't hold each other accountable. if they weren't happy or 'took offense' to the fan's booing, then they had 20mins to prove the fans wrong. instead they came out and played most likely what will be the worse 20mins of the entire season.

ive been in many locker rooms over the years and when a team is playing like ****, leaders stand up and turn things around. players hold themselves accountable and do their best to 'step up'. teams don't magically turn things around for the positive when players keep quiet and are afraid to call people out when they play like **** or make a dumb mistake that is costly. it's called negative reinforcement, you dont want someone to make the same mistake then make a point of it. coaches have been doing it since....well when coaches started coaching. i still think that team has the talent and heart to turn around a 2 period crap effort and steal a W in the last period. they just need to have the *** heart and guts to go and do it. last night they didn't show it, they didn't even appear to even try. that's what was so ugly about it.

TMu's comment today didn't surprise me either. my earlier comments about what took place i thought he may have just been caught up in the emotion of it. sounds like he was. he knows the fans got the teams back, but at the same time the bar has been raised. the fans will not idlely sit back and accept anything except total effort every night. we want W's, but hey if they battle and fight and lose 3-1 then that's how it is. when they 'mail' one in that **** won't fly anymore.

enough with this bs imo from everyone. EVERYONE knows it was a total crap effort and needs to forget about it and don't dwell on it. move along. focus on the quacks. look at it this way. they play the mighty ****s of anaslime after that crap game against STL. you know they are going to firing on all 8 cylinders (yes i still love gas guzzlers and HP) against Baldy and his crew. it should be a thing of beauty to watch

wow that was a damn long post.

Old
03-19-2011, 10:16 AM
nocturn

Quote:
Bingo.

Excellent post.

Old
03-19-2011, 10:36 AM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
And people dont boo for the same reason.

My whole point is not based on the boo/no boo argument, its based on the action/reaction one. If you did boo and became upset by TM and DD response to the boos, then those that booed need to realize they opened themselves up to the (non actually) criticism they got from the team. Like I said in another post, just because you are a fan with a opinion doesnt mean all opinions stop at yours which seems to be the problem du jour with society in general these days.

Last edited by nocturn: 03-19-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old
03-19-2011, 11:41 AM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I wouldn't expect anything less from LA people. Hell I am surprised they were even paying attention. My sister has lived in LA for 12 years now.....She doesn't even know they have a Hockey Team.

I work for Wells Fargo; and we have a box most of the times I get access to it, the people I am sharing it with don't have a clue about Hockey in General.

I plan to take her to a playoff game so she can meet the Kings for the first time.

Lets face it there are a small group of hardcore LA Kings fans.
Id say 70 to 80 percent of the people sitting in the suites have no idea whats happenind but closer to 50/50 elsewhere in the building.

Old
03-19-2011, 01:32 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturn View Post

My whole point is not based on the boo/no boo argument, its based on the action/reaction one. If you did boo and became upset by TM and DD response to the boos, then those that booed need to realize they opened themselves up to the (non actually) criticism they got from the team. Like I said in another post, just because you are a fan with a opinion doesnt mean all opinions stop at yours which seems to be the problem du jour with society in general these days.
I'm actually surprised there was any sort of debate. I expected the fans to boo and I expect the coach and Doughty to be upset by it. The next question is if the Kings roll over the Ducks tonight are the fans that booed responsible for it?

Old
03-19-2011, 03:03 PM
nocturn

I say keep booing them! Maybe they'll think they're still on the road.

Old
03-19-2011, 03:49 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
I say keep booing them! Maybe they'll think they're still on the road.
I'm going to miss the game, watching Jones-Rua UFC fight but I'll be booing mentally.

Old
03-19-2011, 05:06 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:

On the contrary, people who don't care don't boo also. This includes the forementioned people in the suites.

How can TM and Doughty hear the boos from the passionate fans and then get upset after the performance they had? That's what I don't understand. Are they supposed to be immune to boos?

Old
03-19-2011, 05:37 PM
nocturn

Quote:
On the contrary, people who don't care don't boo also. This includes the forementioned people in the suits.
Okay, is this where I say "Oh yea well what about the people that dont care, start to boo because the ****** next to them that cares a little bit started to boo so instead of being left out of the fun, that person began to boo....What about that guy??? Huh?"

I'll take my own advice now.....

Old
03-19-2011, 07:16 PM
BamBam1031

Quote:

The very minor difference being they didn't pay to watch us sit in our seats. You should have taken your own advice pages ago, especially after that last post.

IIRC, the Lakers got booed IN a game during a stretch of miserable performances against teams with losing records. One against Memphis, I think. The team's response? Bynum: "I would have been angry, too." Kobe: "The fans have the right to boo." Instead of whining about the fans voicing their disapproval, they went on about what they needed to do to right the ship. THAT'S how a championship team responds.

Old
03-19-2011, 09:55 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Did you honestly think the Kings were going to turn the game around after two periods when they had 6 total shots on goal?

They were clearly in neutral last night and deserved to hear boos after just two periods.
Wow Swanson, what a terrible point of view. Do you mean to tell me that you don't expect your team to come back or to shake off the spider webs and get a win when they are down two goals? You haven't ever seen a team come back in the 3rd down 3 goals?

Sorry but your reasoning here is totally bunk in my opinion. Yes, I honestly thought that they could turn the game around and win because I have seen them do it this season. I have seen them look like garbage and get a tie out of the game and I have seen them look like garbage and get a win after trailing.

Boo don't boo I am done with it, if you don't get it you won't get it and it isn't an absolute right or wrong for most people so I am good with it only because in the end we are all Kings fans so more so and some less so but all Kings fans are equal to me.

But your statement RS, that one is weak to me.

Old
03-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Actually, yes. Good teams come back when down by 2. Especially after the Kings had such a good road trip - and an off day before this game.

I turned the game off after 2 and was hoping for a "surprise" win or even OT or SO loss (to get the 1 pt) the next morning. But then I read about another weak goal from center ice, and ... oh well...

Old
03-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
ha ha. I am going to bite my tongue because Tony will nuke me if I write what I nearly did.

Old
03-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

To those claiming that it is their right to boo because they paid money for those seats, let me politely respond with a **** you. I paid money for mine as well and I didn't do it to hear you boo a team that has been on a tear and lifted itself back into playoff position through its will. Just like the ***** who won't shut the hell up talking to her sister / girlfriend / cousin / aunt about what was on sale, how many she bought and where he put it last night, I don't want to hear you expressing your bile through boos. When the Kings were down by two, they needed the fans' support. We are citizens of that arena. That's our hockey home in there. Those are our soldiers. You support them and will them to victory or get the **** out and don't you dare call yourself a fan of anything other than your narcissism.

Old
03-20-2011, 02:55 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
To those claiming that it is their right to boo because they paid money for those seats, let me politely respond with a **** you. I paid money for mine as well and I didn't do it to hear you boo a team that has been on a tear and lifted itself back into playoff position through its will. Just like the ***** who won't shut the hell up talking to her sister / girlfriend / cousin / aunt about what was on sale, how many she bought and where he put it last night, I don't want to hear you expressing your bile through boos. When the Kings were down by two, they needed the fans' support. We are citizens of that arena. That's our hockey home in there. Those are our soldiers. You support them and will them to victory or get the **** out and don't you dare call yourself a fan of anything other than your narcissism.
... No homo, but if more fans were like you - I'd go to more games.

I have a DVD from game 7 of the 1989 DSF between Edmonton and the Kings, at the Forum. After EVERY goal that the Oilers scored, there would be about 10 seconds or so of disappointment, then immediately a "Go Kings Go" chant would start. It was like there wasn't going to be anything getting in the way of the positive attitude in that building.

I don't know what's happened since then, but the attitude has gradually moved from "let's have a few and get crazy loud and chant for the Kings" to "let's have a few and boo and curse the **** out of our team". I couldn't believe that they couldn't even wait for the damned game to end - it wasn't like they were down by 4 or 5, either. They were down by TWO! I dunno. Maybe I'm getting old, but that really reminded me why I'd rather stay home nowadays. I go to a game to enjoy myself. Booing and ****ting on the Kings' players before the game's even over just isn't my idea of fun.

Old
03-20-2011, 03:39 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
You don't happen to sit in 214, do you?
I most certainly do! Same seat since the venue opened.

You dont happen to stalk no longer anonymous King's fans, do you?

If you are at the game Monday, or any other time, come by and introduce yourself.

Closed Thread