HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We legitimately have a chance at the Cup. No?

Old
03-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

vCash: 500
We legitimately have a chance at the Cup. No?

With our play as of late, we seem like contenders rather than a team just getting by. The powerplay is getting good and our PK has always been great. Gaborik, our top star, is getting back into his groove and our future captain is averaging a point a game for the last 22 games. Hank is playing at his best and if Biron gets back in time for the playoffs, we'll be set in the goal tending department. Now I know the odds of us winning are low, and its hard to believe but I can see us getting there this season or next. We have a tremendous future with players like Stepan, Zuc, Dubi, Cally, Sauer and McDonaugh.

So what do you guys think? Contenders or a first/second round knock off.

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:16 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I don't believe we're contenders but if we play like this in the playoffs our series should be very good games, to say the least.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:21 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
We should have the expectation that we can get past the 2nd round. It should be a disappointment if we can't.

The players like Dubinsky and Callahan need to be confident to play as consistent hockey in the playoffs as they are right now.

What I like about this team is they have faced and dealt with a crisis, which has not really been the case in any year since the lockout: they have had multiple key injuries which they have been able to play through, which I believe has helped the team collectively grow and come out stronger in the end.

Last edited by GothamRanger: 03-20-2011 at 05:26 PM.
GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:22 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

If we keep playing like this, and if we get favorable matchups then like the old cliche goes "anything can happen come playoff time."

I think that we need to make sure we don't get the Flyers in the first round. If we say, beat WAS in round 1, then that could possibly give us momentum.

Or we get the flyers in the next round and get killed lol jk.

The key is as long as we are scoring goals, we have Lundqvost and those two things allow anything to happen.

03-20-2011, 05:24 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
We should have the expectation that we can get past the 2nd round. It should be a disappointment if we can't.

The players like Dubinsky and Callahan need to be confident to play as consistent hockey in the playoffs as they are right now.
You expect to get to the ECF?

That's pretty high hopes from a fan base that most picked would fall out of the playoff race (including myself). We are a good team if we play like this and score goals. We have been far to inconsistent to be disappointed by not getting to the ECF.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
If we keep playing like this, and if we get favorable matchups then like the old cliche goes "anything can happen come playoff time."

I think that we need to make sure we don't get the Flyers in the first round. If we say, beat WAS in round 1, then that could possibly give us momentum.

Or we get the flyers in the next round and get killed lol jk.

The key is as long as we are scoring goals, we have Lundqvost and those two things allow anything to happen.
I would honesty rather see Philly than Tampa. The Bolts have had our number all year, and I think they match up well against us.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:25 PM
hockeyfrog127

When the Rangers play well, it's hard to disgree that they are legitimate cup contenders. The problem is they have been consistently inconsistent throughout the season. If they can play consistently well, like this 4 game run, they have as good a shot as any team.

hockeyfrog127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rangerfans

...anywhere else hate these types of threads?

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
You never know, really. I think this team has the ingredients needed to make it that far. Just a matter of executing/luck/etc.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:27 PM
NYR510

I want Washington in the first round.

NYR510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I don't believe we're contenders but if we play like this in the playoffs our series should be very good games, to say the least.
first off they still have to get the hell in. I don't think they are cup contenders yet but if we get in we are sure going to piss off the other team. 6/7 games. This team just plays so hard.

Need a #1 C. If they can bring that guy in and then have the Pack line as a #2 with Boyle and Stepan C other balanced lines man this team will be fun to watch

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Wait, so if this team doesnt make the conference finals its a disappointment? Lets lock up a playoff spot first, shall we? Now, granted, very few teams in the east legitimately scare me - but the fact of the matter is this - this is a young, relatively inexperienced team, that makes up for a lack in top end talent with extremely hard work. In a playoff atmosphere, more talented teams will come closer to matching the Rangers' consistently high battle level. Thats not a good formula for us.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:29 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by markman34 View Post
With our play as of late, we seem like contenders rather than a team just getting by. The powerplay is getting good and our PK has always been great. Gaborik, our top star, is getting back into his groove and our future captain is averaging a point a game for the last 22 games. Hank is playing at his best and if Biron gets back in time for the playoffs, we'll be set in the goal tending department. Now I know the odds of us winning are low, and its hard to believe but I can see us getting there this season or next. We have a tremendous future with players like Stepan, Zuc, Dubi, Cally, Sauer and McDonaugh.

So what do you guys think? Contenders or a first/second round knock off.
Not to nitpick, but the PK is currently 12th in the league.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:32 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
I would honesty rather see Philly than Tampa. The Bolts have had our number all year, and I think they match up well against us.
I wold rather play the Caps tbh. Their defense is weaker and may be good for us, and their offense has been suspect as well.

Then if we didn't get the caps then I think I'd want to play the Bruins. They are very good defensively and have good goaltending but their offense is suspect as well so the games would be a crap shoot.

I sure as hell don't want to play Philly (at least not yet). They are too deep and too talented.

I also agree I don't want to play Tampa. They have had our number all year and they are a deep/all-around team as well.

I really wouldn't mind playing the Penguins as well, I think even with Crosby we may have a chance to beat them as long as we'd shut down the Crosby-Neal combo.

Old
03-20-2011, 05:32 PM
GothamRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
You expect to get to the ECF?

That's pretty high hopes from a fan base that most picked would fall out of the playoff race (including myself). We are a good team if we play like this and score goals. We have been far to inconsistent to be disappointed by not getting to the ECF.
While I agree we can easily fall out of the playoff race, if we do make the playoffs I think the team has to come in with the mindset that they can make the ECF. Two things:

1.) the teams that are ahead of us are not as good as their record indicates. They are all beatable. The only team that scares us is Philadelphia and we have shown recently the ability to rout them. Last year the best teams fell early and the lower teams were able to get hot and go far (Philly, Montreal).

2.) it is simply time. We have dealt year after year of no playoffs or first round exits. This team, if they stay consistent, can win 4 of 7 twice in a row and get to the ECF. They have that ability. Do they have the ability to choke and not make the playoffs? Yes, but at this point I think its unlikely. They have to put themselves in the mental state and expectation that they can go far. If they can't do that they won't go far no matter how good the team is. They need swag.

Old
03-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I think as a whole our special teams have to get better. 12th on the PK, is not the norm for the post lockout Rangers who have been consistently in the top 5 the past few years. PP is 13th, better than what we have had for the majority of the year, but it could be better.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I was tempted to delete this thread, merely because whenever something this confident shows up, be it a Lundqvist for MVP thread or otherwise, we always are brought down to earth over the next couple of games. But I'm not that big of a jerk.

I will say this; every team still alive has a statistical shot at the stanley cup. So any labeling of a team as a "cup contender" is largely arbitrary and irrelevant. What makes a team a contender? 5% chance? 15% chance? The answer IMO is both. Only teams that arent cup contenders have been eliminated from playoff contention statistically.

03-20-2011, 05:38 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
While I agree we can easily fall out of the playoff race, if we do make the playoffs I think the team has to come in with the mindset that they can make the ECF. Two things:

1.) the teams that are ahead of us are not as good as their record indicates. They are all beatable. The only team that scares us is Philadelphia and we have shown recently the ability to rout them. Last year the best teams fell early and the lower teams were able to get hot and go far (Philly, Montreal).

2.) it is simply time. We have dealt year after year of no playoffs or first round exits. This team, if they stay consistent, can win 4 of 7 twice in a row and get to the ECF. They have that ability. Do they have the ability to choke and not make the playoffs? Yes, but at this point I think its unlikely. They have to put themselves in the mental state and expectation that they can go far. If they can't do that they won't go far no matter how good the team is. They need swag.
Every team needs to go in with the mindset that they can win it all.

1) Obviously all teams are beatable. However I won't look at one or two games that we have beat Philly and use that to justify a series win against them. Simply because we blew them out that doesn't take away from the fact they had killed us all year. Again, per your last point in #1, if you have a hot goaltender then yes your team can go far. However last year MTL and PHI was consistently good, we haven't shown that this year (especially in games where the stress level is multiplied.

2) It all depends on playoff matchups. I really feel like if we get Philly in the first round then we're screwed. HOWEVER, if we get them in the second round, with maybe riding a high from beating a team like WAS then I could see an upset. Just the reason that we have been playing well now doesn't mean we will still be playing this well a month from now when the playoffs being/are underway.

For the Rangers to make the ECF they need two things:

1) Good matchups

2) Consistently playing like they have been lately, and goal-scoring.

Old
03-20-2011, 05:39 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Why we can go far:
1.) Dubinsky is a playoff monster.
2.) Callahan, without his down time from injury, is showing he has evolved into a 70 point type player.
3.) Gaborik finally appears healthy and like himself.
4.) Our youth has grown at an extraordinary rate.
5.) Most of our defensive core has been established.
6.) Better on the road than at home, which is great news for a lower seed like us.
7.) Above all else, Lundqvist.

While we CAN go far, we're not a horse worth betting on just yet. If you thought this year was fun wait until next year. Our core will be even better and a possible Richards signing could shoot us through the roof. Regardless, this team could stir some things up in the playoffs this year. I know for a fact Washington wants nothing to do with us.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

One step at a time

Step 1): Make the playoffs

Then get back to me in a couple of weeks.

03-20-2011, 05:42 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Why we can go far:
1.) Dubinsky is a playoff monster.
2.) Callahan, without his down time from injury, is showing he has evolved into a 70 point type player.
3.) Gaborik finally appears healthy and like himself.
4.) Our youth has grown at an extraordinary rate.
5.) Most of our defensive core has been established.
6.) Better on the road than at home, which is great news for a lower seed like us.
7.) Above all else, Lundqvist.

While we CAN go far, we're not a horse worth betting on just yet. If you thought this year was fun wait until next year. Our core will be even better and a possible Richards signing could shoot us through the roof. Regardless, this team could stir some things up in the playoffs this year. I know for a fact Washington wants nothing to do with us.
I think this little run, if anything, has shown we aren't as far off as myself (and others on here believe). Someone like Richards, and maybe an upgrade over McCabe as a offensive defenseman and this team can really have something to talk about next year.

I will say again, this team can't be anything unless they learn to play consistently like the other good teams.

Old
03-20-2011, 05:42 PM
GothamRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Wait, so if this team doesnt make the conference finals its a disappointment? Lets lock up a playoff spot first, shall we? Now, granted, very few teams in the east legitimately scare me - but the fact of the matter is this - this is a young, relatively inexperienced team, that makes up for a lack in top end talent with extremely hard work. In a playoff atmosphere, more talented teams will come closer to matching the Rangers' consistently high battle level. Thats not a good formula for us.
We may be inexperienced relatively but overall we aren't dealing with any juggernauts here. The most talented teams in the east are the most emotionally vulnerable. Like I said Philly is the only team that somewhat scares me.

Of course we need to play every regular season game and lockup the playoff birth. But does not making the ECF disappoint me? Yes. Does losing to any other team in the east but the Flyers disappoint me? Yes. This time last year we were absolutely battling to make the playoffs and had a great run but fell short. This time we have a lot more breathing room, are one year more mature (the staff is one more year accountable) and in my opinion have a lot more chemistry. The expectation at the very least is we make the playoffs, I think its too self-damning to think otherwise.

Let me ask you this, if we made the playoffs and got swept in 4, would you be happy?

I would not.

Old
03-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Nor would I. But when it comes to the playoffs, I like keeping expectations low and approaching things one series at a time. Hell, one game at a time.

There shouldn't be a single NHL team looking past their first round matchup. Thats how Sharks and Capitals type breakdowns happen.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Black Tank

No. There are some very good and very deep teams poised to make the run this year in the EC. We are not at that level in top end offensive talent and certainly not in depth.

Next year will be a different story though as I expect continuing offensive improvements from Callahan, Stepan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Zuccarello, McDonagh and others. I'm also hoping that we'll have additional rookie depth if someone like Kreider makes the big squad.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:46 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
We may be inexperienced relatively but overall we aren't dealing with any juggernauts here. The most talented teams in the east are the most emotionally vulnerable. Like I said Philly is the only team that somewhat scares me.

Of course we need to play every regular season game and lockup the playoff birth. But does not making the ECF disappoint me? Yes. Does losing to any other team in the east but the Flyers disappoint me? Yes. This time last year we were absolutely battling to make the playoffs and had a great run but fell short. This time we have a lot more breathing room, are one year more mature (the staff is one more year accountable) and in my opinion have a lot more chemistry. The expectation at the very least is we make the playoffs, I think its too self-damning to think otherwise.

Let me ask you this, if we made the playoffs and got swept in 4, would you be happy?

I would not.
There is no true Rangers fan that would be happy with that outcome.

That's different than what you originally said that you expect a ECF appearance.

Everyone wants ECF and beyond for this team, but we don't expect it. That's a big difference man.