HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We legitimately have a chance at the Cup. No?

Old
03-20-2011, 06:47 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Expectations are a little high, I think. We are a tough team to play against but I would be shocked if we managed to make it to the ECF.

And can we wait until we lock up a spot before proclaiming ourselves as cup contenders? That "which team would you rather face in the playoffs" thread from last season was a bit premature considering we never clinched a playoff spot.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 06:49 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Expectations are a little high, I think. We are a tough team to play against but I would be shocked if we managed to make it to the ECF.

And can we wait until we lock up a spot before proclaiming ourselves as cup contenders? That "which team would you rather face in the playoffs" thread from last season was a bit premature considering we never clinched a playoff spot.
This is HF Boards, this is very difficult for some people on here.

03-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
I think we can... If we make the playoffs. Im not one to bash optimism here like many others do but this is a question that should be asked IF AND WHEN we have that little X next to our name when looking at the NHL.com/TSN standings.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

The thing is though, usually teams like the Flyers who barley got into the playoffs make it far because they step up their game. And that gives me hope in a way. Take Washington for example last year, amazing season and horrible post season.

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

What we would be in the playoffs, is a scrappy, tough out, that has the potential to pull upsets if we get hot and play clean. That being said, I still wouldn't bet on getting past the first round. We've been playing well, but there's still far deeper teams than us.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:19 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Please do it, Fitzy. These threads are as big of a jinx as it gets.

As for the OP, I believe this team, if they continue playing like they have when they win, could be darkhorses for the final. Although, you have to remember, no sub-5 seed has EVER won a cup.

03-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
We may be inexperienced relatively but overall we aren't dealing with any juggernauts here. The most talented teams in the east are the most emotionally vulnerable. Like I said Philly is the only team that somewhat scares me.

Of course we need to play every regular season game and lockup the playoff birth. But does not making the ECF disappoint me? Yes. Does losing to any other team in the east but the Flyers disappoint me? Yes. This time last year we were absolutely battling to make the playoffs and had a great run but fell short. This time we have a lot more breathing room, are one year more mature (the staff is one more year accountable) and in my opinion have a lot more chemistry. The expectation at the very least is we make the playoffs, I think its too self-damning to think otherwise.

Let me ask you this, if we made the playoffs and got swept in 4, would you be happy?

I would not.
Like I said, theres no teams that I think would absolutely demolish the Rangers, but Philly, Boston, Tampa, and Washington are definitely better than the Rangers. If Pittsburgh gets Crosby back, you can add them to the list too. Do we have a puncher's chance against these teams - could we win 2 rounds? Sure, but I certainly dont feel like its anywhere near likely.

As for your question about being happy to just make the playoffs and be swept in 4, the answer is no, of course not. As a fan, I dont know who would answer yes and quite frankly I dont know what such a question has to do with this discussion.

The main issue here, in my mind, is being able to temper your passion for the Rangers and be able to look at the competition objectively and be able to admit that there are several better teams out there.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:45 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by markman34 View Post
With our play as of late, we seem like contenders rather than a team just getting by. The powerplay is getting good and our PK has always been great. Gaborik, our top star, is getting back into his groove and our future captain is averaging a point a game for the last 22 games. Hank is playing at his best and if Biron gets back in time for the playoffs, we'll be set in the goal tending department. Now I know the odds of us winning are low, and its hard to believe but I can see us getting there this season or next. We have a tremendous future with players like Stepan, Zuc, Dubi, Cally, Sauer and McDonaugh.

So what do you guys think? Contenders or a first/second round knock off.
The talent is there on this team. Look at the team statistics against all NHL teams and the Rangers are way up there. (GF, GA and Goal differential)

If Hank plays elite like Halak did last year I see no reason why this team cant make a realistic run for the cup. Hank is the highest paid goalie in the NHL and has a been one of the top goalies in the NHL the 6 years or so, it is time for him to get some hardware!

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:54 PM
mullichicken25

While this thread is just as silly as the trade gaborik and fire torts threads of two weeks ago, I will say that I imagine most teams at the top wouldn't want to draw the rangers in the first round with the way things.are right now

Nonetheless, this team is very young and it will take a serious display from henrik for the team to advance, if they do indeed make it

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:57 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Like I said, theres no teams that I think would absolutely demolish the Rangers, but Philly, Boston, Tampa, and Washington are definitely better than the Rangers. If Pittsburgh gets Crosby back, you can add them to the list too.
I guess that's the basis of our disagreement. I just don't think Tampa, Boston, Washington or Pittsburgh (with or without Crosby) are better than the Rangers. The series may be close, but that's all the credit I would give the opposition.

We both agree that good matchups increase our likelihood of getting to the ECF. Since I don't see those teams as substantial road blocks I can see them getting there.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:02 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
The Rangers combined record against Pittsburgh/Washington this is year is 7-2-1.

Not scared of either of those teams.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:10 PM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

Oh boy. The negative mojo emanating from this thread is currently flowing across the internet and heading straight for the Ranger locker room.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
The talent is there on this team. Look at the team statistics against all NHL teams and the Rangers are way up there. (GF, GA and Goal differential)

If Hank plays elite like Halak did last year I see no reason why this team cant make a realistic run for the cup. Hank is the highest paid goalie in the NHL and has a been one of the top goalies in the NHL the 6 years or so, it is time for him to get some hardware!
Halak was no better than Hank was against Washington the year before.

The difference :
Habs goals scored by game;
3,5,1,3,2,4,2 =20 goals in 7 games

Rangers goals scored by game;
4,1,0,2,0,3,1 =11 goals in 7 games

Last edited by Blue Line Monster: 03-20-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:19 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
There's no team that would want to face us in the first round, honestly, because we're really annoying. We're a team who in the regular season was notorious for never quitting. Opposing teams play a full 60 minutes against us. Our intensity will only grow stronger in the post season making us a major head ache despite our lack of elite offensive talent outside of Gaborik. Even if a team defeats us, we'll take so much out of that team that it could affect them in the next series.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

Funny how this thread or something similar pops up whenever we go on a good streak and a thread about how this team is overachieving/the system sucks/ or how we need to rethink the whole youth movement etc.

Anyway if we keep up the way we have been playing, gabby stays hot, and hank dominates the old "anything can happen in the playoffs" may hold true. I think our style of play will make for a very mentally and physically exhausting series for any opponent.

Miller Time NYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 09:05 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
I would honesty rather see Philly than Tampa. The Bolts have had our number all year, and I think they match up well against us.
april 10th everyone is 0-0-0 nothing else matters from that point on

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 09:06 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
Except the talent differential.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
doesnt negate the fact that were 0-4 against them this season.... and have looked futile about 75% of the time altho loosing close games.

Miller Time NYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 09:55 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Rangers for the first time since lockout have faced a real crisis (injury onslaught) and have come out stronger. The chemistry is as high as its ever been, they have bounced back many times. The key is going to be how much goal support they can give Hank. The scoring by committee philosophy is finally coming through, and if we can actually continue that into the playoffs I don't see why an ECF is out of the realm of possibility.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:38 PM
SgtJoseph

With that cat yall got between the pipes you can go a long ways, he has looked very solid of late.As a Philly fan, i am not looking forward to playing the Rangers in the playoffs if they stay hot like they are now.Playoff hockey is the best sport on the planet !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:51 PM
HAPPY HOUR

4th best GF vs GA in the NHL. Not too shabby..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:14 PM
CH2

I think there's a couple of good points to make in a thread like this:

-The Rangers are one of the best teams on the road.
***In the playoffs, you need to take at least a game on the road to put yourself in a good position to win a series. This team has shown how well they can play on the road.

-The Rangers are physically better equipped for games with few days off.
***The Rangers' record in back to backs is very good and the team typically struggles when opponents have had adequate days off.

-The Rangers have Henrik Lundqvist.
***Enough said.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Gaborik and Hank are our x-factors, IMO.

If Gabs can be accounted for a point per game, we look good.

If Hank plays like Hank can, we look even better.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:20 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
If we keep playing like this, and if we get favorable matchups then like the old cliche goes "anything can happen come playoff time."

How many favorable match ups can we possibly get? I'd like to play Tampa and to a certain degree Boston. We wont play them in 1st round unless Habs **** the bed and we end up #6. It's Caps or Flyers for us (assuming we make it).

As for OPs question. No we are not legitimate chance of winning the Cup. There is a reason why we are still fighting for a playoff spot. We can steal aseries perhaps but that's about it. I'm fine with that though because I thought this team was only a 50-50 chance of making playoffs when the season started.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Se7en360

I think the Rangers have a shot this year. As long as key players like Gaborik, Callahan, and Dubinsky can get that first goal, their momentum can hopefully carry them through. Goaltending looks strong, it will look even better if Biron can get back in time. The only issue is defense, but now that we have McCabe and introduced a veteran influence to our very, very young defense, I'm feeling a little more confident. Honestly, I'll be happy as long as they do better then the Flyers and Bruins so I have bragging rights over my brother (Flyers fan) and dad (Bruins fan) lol.

Se7en360 is offline   Reply With Quote