HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Time for Flyers fans to appreciate Carter"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2011, 06:58 PM
  #51
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
For the team, sure. For understanding the skill of a player, no.
How about when the skill a player shows during the regular season far outweighs his contributions in the playoffs?

ShotScore* is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:03 PM
  #52
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Neither is more important than the other... in each case you are talking about hockey games being played under the same exact rules in the same exact league. You need to stop assuming one set of data is "more important" than the other, that's the first poor assumption you're making if you're going to try and engage in a statistical analysis.

So, save the face palm, you're ignorantly using statistical information to make a faulty point.

Of course, I bet you hated Gagne in the playoffs, too.
No I didn't hate gagne in the playoffs because Gagne was one thing Carter never has been...clutch.

The hockey games are being played under the exact same rules in the exact same league. If there were no difference between the playoffs and regular season though, why is Carter's performance so much different between the two?

BTW here's another facepalm for you since it apparently bothers you.

ShotScore* is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
  #53
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Wake me when he scores a few big goals in crunch time.


JXC is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:08 PM
  #54
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
No I didn't hate gagne in the playoffs because Gagne was one thing Carter never has been...clutch.

The hockey games are being played under the exact same rules in the exact same league. If there were no difference between the playoffs and regular season though, why is Carter's performance so much different between the two?

BTW here's another facepalm for you since it apparently bothers you.
This post smacks of idiocy. I'm kind of impressed.

Not only do you reference the mystical, magical, mythological concept of being clutch, you also contradict your own point but keep plugging along with it right afterward anyway. Awesome.

Terence Peterman is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:08 PM
  #55
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,717
vCash: 500
^^

That play still pains me to this day.

Roo Mad Bro is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:09 PM
  #56
Miss Mess
Registered User
 
Miss Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 4,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
^^

That play still pains me to this day.
Ditto

Miss Mess is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:11 PM
  #57
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
This post smacks of idiocy. I'm kind of impressed.

Not only do you reference the mystical, magical, mythological concept of being clutch, you also contradict your own point but keep plugging along with it right afterward anyway. Awesome.
What is idiocy is saying there is no difference between playoff hockey and regular season hockey.

What is also idiocy is stating as fact your opinion that the concept of clutch doesn't actually exist.

ShotScore* is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:17 PM
  #58
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
1: What is idiocy is saying there is no difference between playoff hockey and regular season hockey.
2: What is also idiocy is stating as fact your opinion that the concept of clutch doesn't actually exist.
1. See two.
2. "Clutch" isn't an opinion. It's a fallacy, based on a human-prescribed need for a storyline. There's no point in a game which is more important than any other if looking at it objectively, and without the desire to make a headline. If you don't agree, please feel free to provide me proof against what I'm saying. I'd really enjoy seeing it. (And I'm not saying that to be snarky. I would really like to see it.)

There's a difference between the regular season and the playoffs. But it can't be measured statistically. It's entirely irrelevant when looking at statistics.

Terence Peterman is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:21 PM
  #59
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
The hockey games are being played under the exact same rules in the exact same league.
It has long been Jester's contention that "there is no such thing as clutch".

His analysis [sic] has always been flawed because he starts with this premise:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Neither is more important than the other... in each case you are talking about hockey games being played under the same exact rules in the same exact league.
This is ludicrous on its face, of course, but that's what he always starts with.


JXC is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:23 PM
  #60
Claude28Giroux
praiseG
 
Claude28Giroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lewiston, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Wake me when he scores a few big goals in crunch time.

agreed. The puck is on his blade in a huge moment in the post season, he can't get it done. Hopefully he can stay healthy and prove he has changed and pots some epic goals. It's not that I hate JC it's just when the emotions are running at their highest he disappointed me the most.

Claude28Giroux is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
  #61
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
1. Which you did.
2. "Clutch" isn't an opinion. It's a fallacy, based on a human-prescribed need for a storyline. There's no point in a game which is more important than any other if looking at it objectively, and without the desire to make a headline. If you don't agree, please feel free to provide me proof against what I'm saying. I'd really enjoy seeing it. (And I'm not saying that to be snarky. I would really like to see it.)
1. No I didn't. I'm clear that I believe there's a difference between playoff hockey and regular season hockey.

2. Again, it's your OPINION that "clutch" is a fallacy. One in which I disagree wholeheartedly with. Clearly, there are plenty of examples of "clutch" players and "clutch" plays.

ShotScore* is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
  #62
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
What is idiocy is saying there is no difference between playoff hockey and regular season hockey.

What is also idiocy is stating as fact your opinion that the concept of clutch doesn't actually exist.
You're trolling on purpose right? You can't be this stupid if you've figured out how to plug your computer in and connect to the internets.

CantSeeColors is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:26 PM
  #63
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
You're trolling on purpose right? You can't be this stupid if you've figured out how to plug your computer in and connect to the internets.
The internets?

ShotScore* is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:27 PM
  #64
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
I've never seen studies on hockey, but it other sports there is NO such thing as clutch. There are players that appear to have clutch abilities, but it's either not repeated in following seasons, or there are exactly the number of players that outperform by x% as you would expect just from the randomness of the process.

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
  #65
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
The internets?
Missing more than one thing here, I see.

It's not an opinion. I'd be right there with you if it existed. But it doesn't, and there's nothing other than you loving a good story saying otherwise.

Terence Peterman is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
  #66
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
The internets?
Oh cool, you also have no concept of pop culture and internet memes. Go eat a turtle or something.

CantSeeColors is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
  #67
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
1. No I didn't. I'm clear that I believe there's a difference between playoff hockey and regular season hockey.

2. Again, it's your OPINION that "clutch" is a fallacy. One in which I disagree wholeheartedly with. Clearly, there are plenty of examples of "clutch" players and "clutch" plays.
It's a statistical fact that there is no such thing as clutch. Clutch is a invention of the human mind due to our inability to process statistical information gathered at different times properly.

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
  #68
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
There's no point in a game which is more important than any other
999 of 1000 coaches will tell you that's a crock of crap, because it is.

JXC is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:30 PM
  #69
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
999 of 1000 coaches will tell you that's a crock of crap, because it is.
Coaching matters?

CantSeeColors is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:33 PM
  #70
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
999 of 1000 coaches will tell you that's a crock of crap, because it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Coaching matters?
Zzzzing!

Terence Peterman is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:35 PM
  #71
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I've never seen studies on hockey, but it other sports there is NO such thing as clutch. There are players that appear to have clutch abilities, but it's either not repeated in following seasons, or there are exactly the number of players that outperform by x% as you would expect just from the randomness of the process.
OK since it's march madness and the ncaa tournament is in full effect.. when Christian Laettner beats Uconn with one second left and then does it against Kentucky, both in the tournament, he can't be considered clutch?

ShotScore* is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:37 PM
  #72
ShotScore*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pa.
Country: Italy
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Missing more than one thing here, I see.

It's not an opinion. I'd be right there with you if it existed. But it doesn't, and there's nothing other than you loving a good story saying otherwise.
That's your opinion. Clutch does exist and there are many examples of it. That's my opinion.

ShotScore* is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:37 PM
  #73
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
OK since it's march madness and the ncaa tournament is in full effect.. when Christian Laettner beats Uconn with one second left and then does it against Kentucky, both in the tournament, he can't be considered clutch?
Did he ever do it again?

CantSeeColors is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:37 PM
  #74
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
OK since it's march madness and the ncaa tournament is in full effect.. when Christian Laettner beats Uconn with one second left and then does it against Kentucky, both in the tournament, he can't be considered clutch?
You're looking at two games to represent the entire history of the tournament. It's more happenstance than anything. If the team played better before those last seconds, they wouldn't have been in a position to make a "clutch" shot. They're simply playing out the game. No point counts more than any other.

Terence Peterman is offline  
Old
03-20-2011, 07:39 PM
  #75
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
That's your opinion. Clutch does exist and there are many examples of it. That's my opinion.
Is the sky blue? Is the grass green? Are boobs good? Or are those just my opinions?

Terence Peterman is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.