HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Time for Flyers fans to appreciate Carter"

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2011, 06:58 PM
ShotScore*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
For the team, sure. For understanding the skill of a player, no.
How about when the skill a player shows during the regular season far outweighs his contributions in the playoffs?

Old
03-20-2011, 07:03 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Neither is more important than the other... in each case you are talking about hockey games being played under the same exact rules in the same exact league. You need to stop assuming one set of data is "more important" than the other, that's the first poor assumption you're making if you're going to try and engage in a statistical analysis.

So, save the face palm, you're ignorantly using statistical information to make a faulty point.

Of course, I bet you hated Gagne in the playoffs, too.
No I didn't hate gagne in the playoffs because Gagne was one thing Carter never has been...clutch.

The hockey games are being played under the exact same rules in the exact same league. If there were no difference between the playoffs and regular season though, why is Carter's performance so much different between the two?

BTW here's another facepalm for you since it apparently bothers you.

Old
03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Wake me when he scores a few big goals in crunch time.

Old
03-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
No I didn't hate gagne in the playoffs because Gagne was one thing Carter never has been...clutch.

The hockey games are being played under the exact same rules in the exact same league. If there were no difference between the playoffs and regular season though, why is Carter's performance so much different between the two?

BTW here's another facepalm for you since it apparently bothers you.
This post smacks of idiocy. I'm kind of impressed.

Not only do you reference the mystical, magical, mythological concept of being clutch, you also contradict your own point but keep plugging along with it right afterward anyway. Awesome.

Old
03-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

^^

That play still pains me to this day.

Old
03-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
^^

That play still pains me to this day.
Ditto

Old
03-20-2011, 07:11 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
This post smacks of idiocy. I'm kind of impressed.

Not only do you reference the mystical, magical, mythological concept of being clutch, you also contradict your own point but keep plugging along with it right afterward anyway. Awesome.
What is idiocy is saying there is no difference between playoff hockey and regular season hockey.

What is also idiocy is stating as fact your opinion that the concept of clutch doesn't actually exist.

Old
03-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
1: What is idiocy is saying there is no difference between playoff hockey and regular season hockey.
2: What is also idiocy is stating as fact your opinion that the concept of clutch doesn't actually exist.
1. See two.
2. "Clutch" isn't an opinion. It's a fallacy, based on a human-prescribed need for a storyline. There's no point in a game which is more important than any other if looking at it objectively, and without the desire to make a headline. If you don't agree, please feel free to provide me proof against what I'm saying. I'd really enjoy seeing it. (And I'm not saying that to be snarky. I would really like to see it.)

There's a difference between the regular season and the playoffs. But it can't be measured statistically. It's entirely irrelevant when looking at statistics.

Old
03-20-2011, 07:21 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
The hockey games are being played under the exact same rules in the exact same league.
It has long been Jester's contention that "there is no such thing as clutch".

His analysis [sic] has always been flawed because he starts with this premise:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Neither is more important than the other... in each case you are talking about hockey games being played under the same exact rules in the same exact league.
This is ludicrous on its face, of course, but that's what he always starts with.

Old
03-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Wake me when he scores a few big goals in crunch time.

agreed. The puck is on his blade in a huge moment in the post season, he can't get it done. Hopefully he can stay healthy and prove he has changed and pots some epic goals. It's not that I hate JC it's just when the emotions are running at their highest he disappointed me the most.

Old
03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
1. Which you did.
2. "Clutch" isn't an opinion. It's a fallacy, based on a human-prescribed need for a storyline. There's no point in a game which is more important than any other if looking at it objectively, and without the desire to make a headline. If you don't agree, please feel free to provide me proof against what I'm saying. I'd really enjoy seeing it. (And I'm not saying that to be snarky. I would really like to see it.)
1. No I didn't. I'm clear that I believe there's a difference between playoff hockey and regular season hockey.

2. Again, it's your OPINION that "clutch" is a fallacy. One in which I disagree wholeheartedly with. Clearly, there are plenty of examples of "clutch" players and "clutch" plays.

Old
03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
What is idiocy is saying there is no difference between playoff hockey and regular season hockey.

What is also idiocy is stating as fact your opinion that the concept of clutch doesn't actually exist.
You're trolling on purpose right? You can't be this stupid if you've figured out how to plug your computer in and connect to the internets.

Old
03-20-2011, 07:26 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
You're trolling on purpose right? You can't be this stupid if you've figured out how to plug your computer in and connect to the internets.
The internets?

Old
03-20-2011, 07:27 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
I've never seen studies on hockey, but it other sports there is NO such thing as clutch. There are players that appear to have clutch abilities, but it's either not repeated in following seasons, or there are exactly the number of players that outperform by x% as you would expect just from the randomness of the process.

Old
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
The internets?
Missing more than one thing here, I see.

It's not an opinion. I'd be right there with you if it existed. But it doesn't, and there's nothing other than you loving a good story saying otherwise.

Old
CantSeeColors

Quote:
The internets?
Oh cool, you also have no concept of pop culture and internet memes. Go eat a turtle or something.

Old
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
1. No I didn't. I'm clear that I believe there's a difference between playoff hockey and regular season hockey.

2. Again, it's your OPINION that "clutch" is a fallacy. One in which I disagree wholeheartedly with. Clearly, there are plenty of examples of "clutch" players and "clutch" plays.
It's a statistical fact that there is no such thing as clutch. Clutch is a invention of the human mind due to our inability to process statistical information gathered at different times properly.

Old
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
There's no point in a game which is more important than any other
999 of 1000 coaches will tell you that's a crock of crap, because it is.

Old
03-20-2011, 07:30 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Coaching matters?

Old
03-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Coaching matters?
Zzzzing!

Old
03-20-2011, 07:35 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I've never seen studies on hockey, but it other sports there is NO such thing as clutch. There are players that appear to have clutch abilities, but it's either not repeated in following seasons, or there are exactly the number of players that outperform by x% as you would expect just from the randomness of the process.
OK since it's march madness and the ncaa tournament is in full effect.. when Christian Laettner beats Uconn with one second left and then does it against Kentucky, both in the tournament, he can't be considered clutch?

Old
03-20-2011, 07:37 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Missing more than one thing here, I see.

It's not an opinion. I'd be right there with you if it existed. But it doesn't, and there's nothing other than you loving a good story saying otherwise.
That's your opinion. Clutch does exist and there are many examples of it. That's my opinion.

Old
CantSeeColors

Quote:
OK since it's march madness and the ncaa tournament is in full effect.. when Christian Laettner beats Uconn with one second left and then does it against Kentucky, both in the tournament, he can't be considered clutch?
Did he ever do it again?

Old
Terence Peterman

Quote:
You're looking at two games to represent the entire history of the tournament. It's more happenstance than anything. If the team played better before those last seconds, they wouldn't have been in a position to make a "clutch" shot. They're simply playing out the game. No point counts more than any other.

Old
03-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
That's your opinion. Clutch does exist and there are many examples of it. That's my opinion.
Is the sky blue? Is the grass green? Are boobs good? Or are those just my opinions?

Closed Thread