HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Matt Cooke is a disgrace (Update: Suspended rest of season, 1st playoff round)

Old
03-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

Bylsma calling for interference on that goal was ridiculous but these comments seem fairly reasonable, no? He knows Cooke needs to be suspended.
He probably WANTS Cooke suspended so he can't do stupid **** like this again and hurt his team.. Wouldn't be surprised if Bylsma begs the NHL for a long suspension lol

Last edited by Colin226: 03-20-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 04:40 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

This guy is just a scum-bag

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

There could have also called boarding and charging on his hit on McD

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 04:47 PM
trilobyte

Asham will probably replace Cooke in the lineup. Cooke's hockey skills are going to be missed, I think that is a fair statement.

What an irresponsible thing to do to your team while they are fighting for top seed. Bylsma must be completely pissed off.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Just saw the hit. Absolutely disgusting.

Mario gets rid of him ASAP or he is the biggest hypocrite I have ever seen.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Black Tank

Problem for Lemieux is that it isn't just Cooke, the Penguins are a dirty team and lead the league in fights. Rangers fans know this well with Gino Slewfoot's actions and Crosby's copycat slew on Callahan. All unpenalized of course...

Lemieux was a piece of **** as a player with his constant whining to the refs and is no different as an owner. Cooke outing him as a hypocrite while wearing an A on the national broadcast is comedy gold.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:48 PM
gravytrain6t

I was surprised Cooke didn't try to place the blame on Dustin Jeffrey!!

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
One of the funny things about it at least from perusing the Pens forum here is a lot of them are blaming the Niskanen highstick for them losing the game. The accumulation of events starting with Cooke's elbow doesn't figure into it....
That's asinine. The high stick is AUTOMATIC regardless of intent. Always has been and always will. Especially when you draw blood. What, you forgo all other penalties because you have an idiot that goes head hunting? That's possibly the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I kind of thought Pens fans were smarter than that but I guess some of them aren't. Look at the box score. They had just as many pp opportunities and didn't capitalize. Although they didn't have a 5-3 or as much pp time they still got chances. The only people they can blame is Cooke, them as a team (i.e.; NOT just Niskanen) and their lack of production on the power play today. They score on one or two of those opportunities and it's a different game regardless of Cooke's stupid play or Niskanen's lack of control over his stick.

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Something Interesting Regarding Suspensions

I noticed something interesting regarding suspensions while reading abut this bum Cooke. I wrote bum because that way nothing gets bleeped.

I'm not sure if the NHL is mulling this or not, but the idea was raised about a team forfeiting future draft picks when one of their players is handed a lengthy suspension.

This way, a team like the Penguins can't hide behind Matt Cooke's other alleged accomplishments and consider his suspensions just the price of doing business. If they faced losing a third, second, or even first round draft choice by turning a blind eye to what he does, would they still do it? I've long considered Matt Cooke to be the NHL's dirtiest player and I don't think he belongs in professional hockey.

No team wants to be at the mercy of one lunatic, so a rule like this may have to have a grace period of at least one "free" suspension. And I'm sure the union would be against it because some players would be untouchable. But it sure would be nice to see the Penguins lose a draft pick after another despicable action from this... ahem, bum.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
The old style NHL retribution where a guy like McSorley or Laraque or Probert pounds a guy to pieces isn't going to work here.
Cooke is a coward, and the sneak attack is what he does. It could have been a serious injury to Ryan McD.
That's exactly what he deserves. I'd have no problem with anyone pulling a Bertuzzi on him. I'd love to seem him go out like that. It's only fitting.

Old
03-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
That's asinine. The high stick is AUTOMATIC regardless of intent. Always has been and always will. Especially when you draw blood. What, you forgo all other penalties because you have an idiot that goes head hunting? That's possibly the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I kind of thought Pens fans were smarter than that but I guess some of them aren't. Look at the box score. They had just as many pp opportunities and didn't capitalize. Although they didn't have a 5-3 or as much pp time they still got chances. The only people they can blame is Cooke, them as a team (i.e.; NOT just Niskanen) and their lack of production on the power play today. They score on one or two of those opportunities and it's a different game regardless of Cooke's stupid play or Niskanen's lack of control over his stick.
I read all the posts on the Penguin board. Literally 90% of them put 100% of the blame on Cooke. Only a few dopes stuck up for him.

Old
03-20-2011, 06:55 PM
PanMan

I don't like the idea of an idiot player ruining the future of a team. Players shouldn't have any effect on the management of a team. I'm fine with how the Devils lost a draft pick because the GM made the mistake.

PanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

This is not an isolated incident with Cooke. This will be his third suspension this year alone. You have to make the team responsible. Do you think they care about being fined?

Old
03-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

I'm here in Pittsburgh for the next week on business, so I got a ticket to today's game. I was so disgusted when almost everyone in the building was booing the call. You could see a couple people who actually had decent hockey knowledge just facepalming.

90% of the people in there were completely oblivious bandwagon fans, booing anytime a penguin gets knocked down, or a call goes against them. It's sad.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:18 PM
KRM

I seriously hope someone delivers a career ending hit to that ****ing disgrace of a hockey player. Have hated him since his Vancouver days.

KRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I'm here in Pittsburgh for the next week on business, so I got a ticket to today's game. I was so disgusted when almost everyone in the building was booing the call. You could see a couple people who actually had decent hockey knowledge just facepalming.

90% of the people in there were completely oblivious bandwagon fans, booing anytime a penguin gets knocked down, or a call goes against them. It's sad.
I was absolutely baffled by the loud boos for both the Cooke penalty and the ensuing high stick.

I mean, penalty calls dont get more cut and dry than those two. No grey area whatsoever.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
That's exactly what he deserves. I'd have no problem with anyone pulling a Bertuzzi on him. I'd love to seem him go out like that. It's only fitting.
I was just referring to the way that the instigator rule has had a visible effect on preventing that. The wrong guy gets the discipline. I would never want to see another Bertuzzi type incident, ever.
But, I would be really happy with Pittsburgh paying for keeping that dangerous player around.
There needs to be some way of changing the way a club can look at that kind of play and any resulting suspension as simply a cost of doing business.

I wait to hear what the NHL does, and I hope the lights are shone so brightly onto Mario Lemieux that he can hardly see.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:23 PM
DoTheBlue
No chokemon allowed

Someone on the main board talked about not being able to fill the roster spot left open during the suspension. I like that idea better. I don't mind punishing the team as a whole but I think if you start messing with draft picks then you start punishing the fan base which seems unfair. A fan base can't help when their team employs a lunatic who runs around the ice trying to injure people.

03-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post

Honestly, is the garden any different? MSG is always full of clueless fans yelling "SHOOT IT" when we're killing a penalty. Every fanbase has a bunch of idiots. I think the conclusion here is that people, in general, are dumb.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
chip chipperson*

if gillies only gets 10 in his 1st game back i doubt they suspend cooke for the playoffs. i bet he only gets 10 aswell.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Maybe after this incident Mario would consider eating his words.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
chip chipperson*

make punishments to the team a short term thing like a fine.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I'm betting 12-15 games. They're not taking this lightly anymore. They want to change the thought process of the players, and this hit in particular was far from borderline.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
While theres no need to sink down to this type of level, I do find the hypocrisy in Cooke's game and the way hes portrayed in Pittsburgh as both comical and sad.

Some fans on the Pens board are casting off Cooke's antics as bad decisions that he needs to be able to control...then they laud him as a great lockerroom guy and teammate. HBO 24/7 portrayed Cooke as a fun-loving prankster and a devoted family man.

No mention anywhere of how Cooke's serial headhunting puts the careers/livelihoods of his fellow NHL'ers at risk. You know, guys that are also good teammates and have families as well.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:38 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
Maybe after this incident Mario would consider eating his words.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote