HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Friday Face-Offs, 3/18: Are Poile and Trotz Doing a Good Job?

Old
03-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
With this CBA, BFC is correct.

There's always a consistent $16 million difference between the ceiling and floor.

Of course, this CBA ends after next season and there are indications the gap between the floor and ceiling will be brought up for discussion.
And it needs to, I thought the floor should have been a % of the cap rather than a hard $16M. It would have kept salaries from getting back up as quickly as they did, teams may not have had to give out inflated contracts to hit the cap floor. The Preds were able to ice a $23M playoff team and give a $78M Red Wings roster a run for their money, now the Preds are forced to spend twice that amount and it hasn't resulted in the spreading around of talent that was foreseen with the implementation of the cap. I have to believe that with a softer floor the Preds would still find a way to ice a competitive team and turn more of a profit to secure their future, or to get out from under some bad contracts if they needed to. This system leaves little to no wiggle room and almost no way to recover from a mistake or misfortune (Lombardi)

of course it may not have worked out that way either.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 02:58 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

yes to the thread question.

cba change idea: make it easier to dump a guy. example is a guy like souray. his contract is guarenteed, so he still gets all his money, just the oilers take the cap hit 1 year instead of a spread out buyout. just an idea. teams are still punished financially and one year with the cap, but frees up more money for players the next year

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 04:01 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It's also possible Radulov stays if he thinks he's going to be competing for the Cup every year.
I don't think that's much of a possibility. Radulov thought about Radulov and cash. If he cared about Stanley Cups he'd have stayed in the NHL.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:12 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
My references to "the Predator way" have generally all been in terms of how Poile builds the team.
I also think that both have done a great job to this point (and said so multiple times).
Then you should probably call it the Poile way

Quote:
I had three goals with this article:

1) Yes, they've done a great job. But, they've also made some significant mistakes and/or have noticeable areas that tend to always be a problem in Trotz's case. Those tend to be glossed over by the mainstream media and a lot of Predator fans. I wanted to bring about discussion regarding those areas.
Name a GM and or coach that haven't made mistakes. That would be the reason that some of these mistakes are glossed over, they will happen. Compare to the right decisions and see what that ratio is.

Quote:
2) Express my opinion that the way this team is built has to evolve a little bit if it's going to see a deep run in the playoffs (again, my opinion). My main problem with Fisher's acquisition (a non-rental) was that it seemed to indicate that the team was going to continue to be built around average to good forwards. That get's you to the playoffs if you can keep Weber, Suter and Rinne. What if they get tired of that? Then what?
Contrary to what some think, this team is capable of a deep playoff run now, or at least a non-injury version of this team. We showed earlier in the year we can beat anyone. The idea of elite forwards is nice, but the price is a much weaker 3rd and 4th line. No free lunches with the CBA.

Quote:
3) There tends to be this notion that Nashville could not afford an elite forward plus the trio of Suter, Weber and Rinne (putting aside how that elite forward would be acquired). That notion has fueled this thought among mainstream media that the way Poile is building the franchise is the only way to do so and compete. I finally wanted to point out how much hogwash that was. Whether Poile's way is the right way or what I'm suggesting is the right way, the point is that the money exists to do either.
Of course they can afford it, but at what cost? Especially with the Preds, paying a forward 6 or 7 mil and Weber that kind of money and Suter close to that and Peks close to that you'll end up with no supporting cast. You HAVE to have the Fishers and the O'Brien's to have a complete roster. This team can't get top heavy in salary. The ends wouldn't justify the means in the long term. If our salary is close to the cap, then maybe it is hogwash, but at the cap midpoint it's not.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:45 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Of course they can afford it, but at what cost? Especially with the Preds, paying a forward 6 or 7 mil and Weber that kind of money and Suter close to that and Peks close to that you'll end up with no supporting cast. You HAVE to have the Fishers and the O'Brien's to have a complete roster. This team can't get top heavy in salary. The ends wouldn't justify the means in the long term. If our salary is close to the cap, then maybe it is hogwash, but at the cap midpoint it's not.
I thought the roster I had up there with the $7 million forward was pretty comparable to what it is today in terms of the second, third and fourth lines.

Jay (and you know this), no one wants me to eat crow more than I do.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:47 PM
OpenWheel

Poile looks a lot smarter after his second round pick, Hobey Baker winner Geoffrion, gets his first hat trick.

The forward group has looked poor as far as scoring. But the fact is Legwand does lead us in points per 60 minutes and will be around awhile yet. Erat should be solid a few more years. And for youngsters we have Wilson (nice play on the first of Geoffrion's goals tonight), Geoffrion, Taylor Beck.

Fisher still gets a lot of minutes from Trotz, even without seeming to help get many points. Hopefully his salary won't be an albatross like Dumonts and Sullivan. (Those guys were very good for awhile, but just got older.) But we needed a center this year because of injuries, and are still well in the playoff hunt.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 03-20-2011 at 08:53 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote