HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Cooke is a disgrace (Update: Suspended rest of season, 1st playoff round)

Old
03-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

vCash: 500
He's done it so many times that I don't know why they even bother suspending him. He'll just do it again when he comes back. He needs to be expelled from the league permanently before he kills someone. Hit him with a lifetime ban and be done with it. There's no need to have him in the league.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:45 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
I'm all for this idea. Only in very extreme cases though, like with a repeat offender nightmare like Cooke. Have it take more than a Savardian indecent and take that team's pick away because one bad incident could just be a lapse in judgment, kinda like the Chara hit. I think a third rounder is more than enough to get an organization to take accountability for it's players' actions. Literally the only player that I think would cost a team a pick if this rule was enforced would be Cooke. I mean seriously, there is no one even close to as dangerous.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I'm betting 12-15 games. They're not taking this lightly anymore. They want to change the thought process of the players, and this hit in particular was far from borderline.
Gilles got 10 games for his hit on Clutterbuck, and this hit was far worse than that. 12-15 games might as well be fair.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:49 PM
torrencemd

Pens fan in peace. Unreal stupidity on Cooke's part. I am hoping he is gone for the reg season and the first round if we even make it out of it. I wouldnt even be upset if it was through all the playoffs. I hope McdDonough SP? is ok. Also I have some serious doubts if this team is even gonna keep Matt Cooke after this contract. Calling Mario a hypocrite is a bit much, but we will just have to see exactly what the league does.

torrencemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:52 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
make punishments to the team a short term thing like a fine.
Far too simple. Unless the fine was an albatross amount. Something radical has to be done to make teams not want players like Cooke. Players like him SHOULD cost organizations that hire such unprofessional players, be it taking away cap space during the summer, or taking away a draft pick. All organizations must be held accountable for their players actions. Right now only the player is penalized, so why the hell should Penguins ownership care about the players Cooke is hurting? (other than costing them more pk's to take care of...)

Old
03-20-2011, 07:54 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
I don't like the idea of an idiot player ruining the future of a team. Players shouldn't have any effect on the management of a team. I'm fine with how the Devils lost a draft pick because the GM made the mistake.
it will never happen but the idea behind it isn't to let the idiot player ruin the future of a team. but rather teams would not risk that from happening and players like cooke wouldn't have jobs anymore

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:58 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrencemd View Post
Pens fan in peace. Unreal stupidity on Cooke's part. I am hoping he is gone for the reg season and the first round if we even make it out of it. I wouldnt even be upset if it was through all the playoffs. I hope McdDonough SP? is ok. Also I have some serious doubts if this team is even gonna keep Matt Cooke after this contract. Calling Mario a hypocrite is a bit much, but we will just have to see exactly what the league does.
its really not much to call mario a hypocrite. he comes out and makes an absurd statement while he employs the dirtiest player in the game. and after all that, cooke still hands out stupid terrible head shots.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Hockeyplayer99

The best thing ever to happen to cooke was when Evander Kane knocked his ass out. He deserved that and the hockey world probably loved it to. No matter what team you root for.

Hockeyplayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:02 PM
chip chipperson*

i want crosby on the roster and healthy. i like beating him

Old
03-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
We have a 3rd line scrub skating around injuring and potentially ending the careers of much better NHL players. He is bad for the league, both in image, spirit, and in terms of the good talent that he takes off the ice.
Well said.

cooke needs to go before he damages anymore heads, knees, careers and lives.

Mario needs to grow some balls and rid the Pens of this POS.

The NHL needs to toss cooke's sorry ass out of the NHL for good.

I am happy your player is OK.

I am a Marc Savard fan and am very pissed that cooke still is out there and Savvy may never play again.

03-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensink View Post
Also...he's the alternate captain of the Pens....talk about some hypocrisy (yoo-hoo...Mario!!!).

The "A" on cooke means something else. (it starts with Ass).

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:10 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Having just seen the hit on NHL Network, I am comfortable calling it a dirty play, with no excuse for it. It was a deliberate attempt by Cooke to hit McDonagh in the head.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I'm here in Pittsburgh for the next week on business, so I got a ticket to today's game. I was so disgusted when almost everyone in the building was booing the call. You could see a couple people who actually had decent hockey knowledge just facepalming.

90% of the people in there were completely oblivious bandwagon fans, booing anytime a penguin gets knocked down, or a call goes against them. It's sad.
I was surprised how loud it was. I was even more surprised at the booing after the high stick on Callahan. I guess they thought he had ketchup packets stuffed in his helmet.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
He's fine. He actually took a penalty late in the game, got a breakaway coming out of the box, and got an assist after Stepan buried the rebound.
see how he feels after the game, clutterbuck and comeau finished their games but afterwards found out they had signs of a concussion (clutterbuck) or had a concussion (comeau)

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:13 PM
TrueBlueNorwegian

Evander Kane will never have to pay for a beer in Boston ever again lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLqpw...eature=related

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian View Post

That's awesome

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I was just referring to the way that the instigator rule has had a visible effect on preventing that. The wrong guy gets the discipline. I would never want to see another Bertuzzi type incident, ever.
But, I would be really happy with Pittsburgh paying for keeping that dangerous player around.
There needs to be some way of changing the way a club can look at that kind of play and any resulting suspension as simply a cost of doing business.

I wait to hear what the NHL does, and I hope the lights are shone so brightly onto Mario Lemieux that he can hardly see.
Absolutely!!!!!

There is an easy way to stop all this nonsense.

1. Don't penalize players with instigators or misconducts if they jump someone that committed a suspendable act and the league finds the suspendable act was done with intent to injure or was committed by a repeat offender. This would make guys think twice (especially if they are as hated as Cooke). This is all that's stopping guys like Cooke from being jumped after incidents like this and it's the ability to run around with impunity that keep guys like this going.

2. Harsh escalating penalties for repeat offenders in single season.
a. 1st offense. BIG fine for player
b. 2nd offense. double fine/team match and suspension salary still hits cap
c. 3rd offense. triple fine/team match.done for season. salary still hits cap.
d. If repeat offender in previous season and get further action taken against you as a repeat offender in a consecutive season by the league, you are DONE. League ban forever. Remainder of contract still to hit team cap.

3. At anytime, if it is deemed that offender had intent to injure or was a repeat offender (i.e.; suspended twice in one season) and the incident resulted in an injury they are suspended from the league until injured player is healthy enough to return even if that means they never play again (i.e.; Donald Brashear and Todd Bertuzzi would still be sitting because Marty McSorely and Steve Moore couldn't ever return).

This will do many things but the main things are
1. guys won't knowingly hurt a player when he will be out just as long as whatever injury he caused. He will do it right, approach the player he has a problem with and drop the gloves or he will suck it up, put his big boy pants on and play hockey.
2. teams will get the message that if their player is in trouble twice in a season, don't bother putting him back in lest he do it again. Businessmen don't like paying any kind of fine, no matter how insignificant to them. They would hate even more to have to continue losing money to the cap without having the player on the ice.

Last edited by Skrimpy: 03-20-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:19 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Far too simple. Unless the fine was an albatross amount. Something radical has to be done to make teams not want players like Cooke. Players like him SHOULD cost organizations that hire such unprofessional players, be it taking away cap space during the summer, or taking away a draft pick. All organizations must be held accountable for their players actions. Right now only the player is penalized, so why the hell should Penguins ownership care about the players Cooke is hurting? (other than costing them more pk's to take care of...)
the problem with that is a good and respected player could commit a dirty play and now the team would be held accountable. dubinsky is just as capable of throwing out the same headshot that cooke delivered. should the rangers' future be penalized because dubi made a mistake?

Old
03-20-2011, 08:20 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:

Anyone have any trade proposals?

Old
03-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Skrimpy

Quote: Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
That's awesome
Yes. Yes, it is.

Old
03-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
the problem with that is a good and respected player could commit a dirty play and now the team would be held accountable. dubinsky is just as capable of throwing out the same headshot that cooke delivered. should the rangers' future be penalized because dubi made a mistake?
That's why it has to be a repeat offense for teams to get fined, but fined none the less.

Old
03-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:

Kane shouldn't have held the jersey. In fact, he should've stumbled and accidentally stepped on Cooke's head or throat. Preferrably with full force.

Excuse me for being blood-thirsty.

A decent guy like Zednik gets his neck cut open by his own teammate and this scum is out there trying to cripple people. Why can't anyone end Cooke's career if the League doesn't want to?

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 09:08 PM
OverTheCap

There are some players in the NHL who do reckless and stupid things because they don't contribute anything other than their physicality, and they sometimes play over-aggressively in order to survive in this league, like a Gillies or a Hollweg.

But Matt Cooke is a different animal. He is a 3rd liner who can kill penalties and put up around 30 points a year. Yet he repeatedly feels the need to hit people in the head. This guy is out there to concuss people. It can no longer be called reckless when he engages in this same dangerous act over and over and over again. It is so ingrained in his nature that he cannot stop doing it. That flying elbow today wasn't accidental or negligent, it was premeditated and the intent was to deliver a blow to McDonagh's head. Cooke needs to be out of the league ASAP.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 09:26 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
and a former Penguin in Mario was talking about removing these hits and one of these ***** Pens makes one? ridiculous he better get atleast 10 games

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Escudero

Send a message via AIM to Escudero
Petition?

Hey guys. Does anyone have any experience doing up a petition?

After watching todays game, I was reminded of Matt Cooke's nature. I went online, and in particular this video struck me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0waePHWjVGY

Sad indeed. Then I got the idea that maybe a petition might help, if it hasn't already been done (has it?).

I'm not certain how it should be worded, but I'll put it this way. Personally, if I were Colin Campbell I would give Matt Cooke a liftetime ban from the league. It just isn't worth having a guy like that running around potentially ending the careers of other players. Talented players, untalented players, anyone. No ones career is worth giving Matt Cooke satisfaction.

Even if I was Mario or Ray Shero, I'd remove Matt Cooke from my team in a heartbeat regardless of what the league does. Not just because of detriment to my team, but in the spirit of the game. There is no place for people like Matt Cooke in the NHL, or any respectable league in my opinion.

Escudero is offline   Reply With Quote