HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I wish you step back from that ledge my friend...

Old
03-20-2011, 08:47 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
I wish you step back from that ledge my friend...

I think everyone needs a little reminder.

- The team has not lost 2 games in a row in a month.
- Since Jan 1st, 20-10-5, 45 points in 35 games (almost 65% of all possibly points)
- Still in 8th with a 3 point cusion
- 113 GF in last 35 games (3.22 GFPG), 100 GA (2.85 GAPG)
- Teams best players have been playing better overall (Vanek, Pominville, Myers, Ennis, even Connolly the past few games)

Yes, you can pull out plenty of stats that make them look bad too. But the fact of the matter is that they dug themselves out of a deep hole and have been playing good hockey overall for a while now. Are they a stanley cup contender? No, but they're in a better place than thought back in November.

Relax a little, look at the bigger picture. Let them finish the season at least before you cast them off as failures.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

From the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Well, there are ten games left and we have a 3-point cushion in the playoff race. We still control our own destiny. That's a lot better than I think anyone expected it to be around Christmas time.

****ing the bed stinks, but we still got a point, and honestly, 7th vs. 8th doesn't really make any difference. Another winning streak would be nice, though. I think this is going to be a tight race right to the end.
We'd all like to have a bigger cushion, and blowing a game like this stinks, but we're still in a good position. It's looking like it will be a fight to the end. It should be good hockey.

The near misses of recent years are still close in mind, which is a good thing but still worrying. I think Vanek potting a couple in the next few games to gain his confidence back would go a long way.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:57 PM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

I take a look at a lot of teams GDT's and boards and it's always the same nay-saying and complaining. It's just the nature of the sport.

Except for Vancouver...always a lot of self-promotion there.

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 09:06 PM
fing0rz

Before the weekend im sure most people would be thrilled with 3 out of 4 points from this weekend.

it just sucks to lose that 4th point when we had it :/

it also sucks that the canes lucked into 2 points the other day. we could very easily be up 6 points instead of just 3.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 09:14 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Another winning streak would be nice, though. I think this is going to be a tight race right to the end.
"Another" winning streak?

The Sabres have had only one 3-game winning streak all season. Only once all season have they managed to win more than 2 in a row.

Pondering that stat, I find it astounding that they are currently in playoff position.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

The Sabres have had only one 3-game winning streak all season. Only once all season have they managed to win more than 2 in a row.

Pondering that stat, I find it astounding that they are currently in playoff position.
Yep, we've had one, and another one would be nice.

I was really just thinking 2 games in a row when I said that. It's been 2 weeks since our last 2-game winning streak.

Old
03-20-2011, 09:19 PM
fing0rz

they have had a few nice point streaks tho

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 09:32 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Wise words but remember, we're from Buffalo.... home of wide right and land of skate in the crease/no goal....... So we're always one step away from the ledge

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:04 PM
HogtownSabresfan

I'm not on the ledge. I love the way the team is playing lately. Vanek isn't scoring goals but he's all over the ice most nights. Ennis has sick moves. Gerbe looks like a mini-Briere. Myers has turned it around pretty well. Boyes was a great pickup.
...And this is all going on without arguably our number one player in Derek Roy. To do this after Roy went down is fantastic. And it's really been a team effort. Nobody is going to tell me Ryan Miller has carried this team in 2010-2011.
I like this team for the future. Yeah we need a puck-moving d-man who can gain the zone on the PP, more depth at centre and D strength for our own zone but the Sabres have been playing solid, solid hockey for about 50 games now.
It's ain't just Pegula, they've got some budding talent.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:01 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

The fact that they battled back from being down and out, without a top 6 Center for most of the time (Connolly's been good for 2-3 games) is remarkable.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:47 AM
BowieSabresFan

But the view is so nice from the ledge. Maybe if I got a closer look......

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:10 AM
barcs

Does anyone really trust this team to actually control it's own destiny after the Carolina game and yesterday's debacle?

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:36 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
Does anyone really trust this team to actually control it's own destiny after the Carolina game and yesterday's debacle?
When I look at the last 3 months as opposed to 2 games, yes.

You also have to consider that they didn't play poorly in Carolina and they only played poorly yesterday for ~5 minutes at the end of the game.

Old
03-21-2011, 09:50 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

They're playing a more open style now than at the beginning of the year, and this whole year over last year, IMO.

They're a lot more fun to watch now.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I think everyone needs a little reminder.

- The team has not lost 2 games in a row in a month.
- Since Jan 1st, 20-10-5, 45 points in 35 games (almost 65% of all possibly points)
- Still in 8th with a 3 point cusion
- 113 GF in last 35 games (3.22 GFPG), 100 GA (2.85 GAPG)
- Teams best players have been playing better overall (Vanek, Pominville, Myers, Ennis, even Connolly the past few games)

Yes, you can pull out plenty of stats that make them look bad too. But the fact of the matter is that they dug themselves out of a deep hole and have been playing good hockey overall for a while now. Are they a stanley cup contender? No, but they're in a better place than thought back in November.

Relax a little, look at the bigger picture. Let them finish the season at least before you cast them off as failures.
It's just hard accepting that loss, it's going to take time to get over that. I wish they played again tonight. I mean they DOMINATED that game, but squandered so many chances to make it a blowout, and then collapsed. That's just unacceptable, you want the team to have a killer instinct this time of year.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:14 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Off that ledge ...

I thought the same thing reading the GBU last night ... Wow!
I personally didn't think we would be anywhere near an 8th seed at the beginning of the season. I thought Regier did too little to make the team better in the offseason. So to be in this spot is a nice surprise. If we make it...cool (although I think we will be rolled in 4 games)
If we don't make the playoffs it simply wouldn't surprise me.

Reeeeeelaaaaaaaaax, come down off the ledge and have a hot chocolate.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:17 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
It's just hard accepting that loss, it's going to take time to get over that. I wish they played again tonight. I mean they DOMINATED that game, but squandered so many chances to make it a blowout, and then collapsed. That's just unacceptable, you want the team to have a killer instinct this time of year.
This.

This is why we're worried about making the playoffs. If the team had that killer instinct and hadn't blown so many leads this year we'd at least be in 7th, maybe even challenging Montreal for 6th.
But considering where they were earlier in the year I'm totally happy to be in 8th, 3 pts. up on Carolina with 10 games left.
Probably unless all our best players (Miller, Staff, Van, Pommer,) and the young guys like Gerbe, Ennis, Sekera, and Myers all catch fire and play out of their minds during the playoffs (if we make it) we get bounced in the 1st round.
But it's hard to be disappointed, no one thought we had a chance for a lot of the year and right now we've got the 8th seed.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:20 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Off that ledge ...

I thought the same thing reading the GBU last night ... Wow!
Not surprising that people were particularly frustrated after last night's game. Especially since this has been going on all season. How many games have the Sabres now lost after blowing a 2-goal lead?

Honestly it seems sometimes that the Sabres are better off when trailing by 2 than when leading by 2.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Not surprising that people were particularly frustrated after last night's game. Especially since this has been going on all season. How many games have the Sabres now lost after blowing a 2-goal lead?

Honestly it seems sometimes that the Sabres are better off when trailing by 2 than when leading by 2.
I think someone posted a stat the last time we blew a 2-goal lead that said we have a better record when trailing by 2 than when leading by 2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old
03-21-2011, 11:32 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely. I understand people's frustration at the loss last night, and I feel the same way. But I see people going beyond frustration over a single game.

I guess it's the "what have you done for me lately" syndrome.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:28 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
When I was watching last evening, I was delighted when they popped in 2 quick ones to take the lead. But even when they got their third, I kept thinking they have a boot on the Pred's neck, but haven't finished them off. It was an eerie feeling - maybe even a premonition. I didn't post in the GBU for a reason. I saw a lot of good things in that game, and a lot of frustrating things at the end. Posting in the GBU would have brought me out on the ledge.

3 weeks of regular season left - we'll see what transpires. It's in their hands.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:08 PM
joshjull

Quote:

The loser point has been their friend. They've earned points in 7 games by taking games to OT or a shootout but still losing.

They also don't have many regulation losing streaks since November 5th. Another way to phrase that is pointless streaks. Since then they only have one 3 game pointless streak and 3x they had back to back pointless games. I'm refering to regulation losses.

Taking both of the above it shows that they've had some nice point streaks as opposed to win streaks. After going 3-9-2 in their first 14 games (Nov 5th was the 14th game) they had a 5 game point streak with every game going to either a SO or OT. They won 2, lost 1, then won 2 again giving them points in 5 straight.

Since then they've had a 4 game point streak, 2 more 5 game point streaks and a 7 game one. Not as sexy as winning streaks to be sure but its gotten them into playoff contention.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:10 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I'm not on the ledge. I love the way the team is playing lately. Vanek isn't scoring goals but he's all over the ice most nights. Ennis has sick moves. Gerbe looks like a mini-Briere. Myers has turned it around pretty well. Boyes was a great pickup.
...And this is all going on without arguably our number one player in Derek Roy. To do this after Roy went down is fantastic. And it's really been a team effort. Nobody is going to tell me Ryan Miller has carried this team in 2010-2011.
I like this team for the future. Yeah we need a puck-moving d-man who can gain the zone on the PP, more depth at centre and D strength for our own zone but the Sabres have been playing solid, solid hockey for about 50 games now.
It's ain't just Pegula, they've got some budding talent.
Between Sekera and Myers, I think we've got this one covered pretty well going forward, although they both are still green and make mistakes.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote