HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Ward is gone...

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 11:31 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Can't skate, not big enough to hit effectively, so-so defensively....buh-bye

Old
08-01-2005, 11:32 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
Same could be said about Bulis.
Bulis can skate and is a highly effective forechecker. He has all the skills, but no brain and no vision. But he's a solid third liner and a tremendous fourth liner who can also fill in on a scoring line when injuries hit.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:32 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guriken
Hmm, Bulis is the kind of player that makes me frustrated. He is good offensively but doesn't have the tools to finish plays. I know he is becoming better as a role player but he's not a player I want to keep. If you can trade him, do it.
With the way Bulis put points up in the Elite league over in Europe last season this could be his break out season because of the rule changes (no red line and zero tolerance in obstruction).

He finally could be that missing asset to the 1st or 2nd line we have been sadly lacking to either Kovalev-Koivu or Ryder-Riberio (depending on what line Zed plays on, but I think Bonk and Bulis could make a great 3rd line with one of the youngsters coming up).

Old
08-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
I think Chippy is at least 2 years away still. He'll play again in the WHL and prove his worth, then will play one year in the AHL to adjust to pro speed/strenght and then he'll make Montreal's lineup on the 3rd/4th as a starting point.
I'm hoping Chipchu will do well in the WHL this year, then get called up to Hamilton in time for the end of the season / playoffs. Then he'll get a serious look in camp next year, and if he can't make the big club, be a lock for the Bulldogs.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:33 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS

He finally could be that missing asset to the 1st or 2nd line we have been sadly lacking to either Kovalev-Koivu or Ryder-Riberio (depending on what line Zed plays on, but I think Bonk and Bulis could make a great 3rd line with one of the youngsters coming up).
Chris Higgins is a guy that comes to mind

Old
08-01-2005, 11:49 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Chris Higgins is a guy that comes to mind
My exact thinking too...all three possess a great 2-way game and who better to play with than Bonk and Bulis for Higgins?

On a side note, if Ward cannot find work elsewhere in the NHL I would not be surprised to see the Habs sign him to 2-way deal to stay in Hamilton to help mould the youngsters and to provide leadership to the team...Montreal appreciates his work ethic and would have gladly re-signed him but at his age too many prospects much younger and more talented have passed him by.

Old
08-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Stan

What's with the Bulis bashing? Any team in the league would love to have Bulis. He's a very good third liner who checks with intensity. The only thing you could complain about is his lack of finish, but that is something he might still develop. I think he has the hands...it's just in his head IMO. Bulis is a valuable asset.

Old
08-01-2005, 02:11 PM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
I have a theory about the Habs not qualifying Ward. I believe that they didn't qualify him because doing so would force them them to continue his 1-way contract. I'm speculating that the Habs may eventually resign him to a 2-way contract one that has a pro structure at the league minimum, because the Habs braintrust are not sure about Ward as an NHL pro player yet.

My other theory is that the Habs have evaluated Ward, and they feel his role appears to be a 4th line player at best. Gainey may feel that he'd rather have a younger player, one that may stand a better chance at a top 2 line position [eg. Higgins, Perezhogin] at the 4th line position to start the season, since the CBA affords them less time to evaluate their players before potentially losing them to unrestricted free agency.

Old
08-01-2005, 02:29 PM
baldrick

Jason Ward is a character guy, no question, who does not have
cement hands as his AHL record shows. IMO his weakness is his
footspeed, the quickness at the NHL level vs AHL.
Thanks for wearing the CH proudly and wish him all the best.

Closed Thread