HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

We legitimately have a chance at the Cup. No?

Old
03-20-2011, 11:34 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
When they're firing on all cylinders, they're capable of beating any team. Unfortunately, we can't seem to do that for more than a week at a time. So, they definitely have a chance, but I'm don't think it's that legitimate. Prove me wrong, boys!

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Extremely small sample size, but the team did seem to step it up in the Caps series in 09, if Torts can channel that again, would be a huge boost.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:46 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

HAVE TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

Assuming that happens, the Rangers do have an interesting window of opportunity in the East

Pitts - no sid, no geno Rangers have owned them at home

Caps - blown them out twice this season, AO struggles vs Staal-Girardi,

Flyers - Pronger may be out, the team has been playing .500 since the Rangers blew them out

This "could' be an opportunity for a hard working team with 4 rolling lines, a strong blueline and a hot goaltender to mess some teams up in the playoffs.

In the East anyways

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:49 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

It's really exciting for me to see you young guys on the forum getting excited. I am always excited when the playoffs start because once you are in, anything can happen. Too many people here were ready to burn the furniture here not that long ago. The rebuild is working and I admit, it's worked better than I expected. This is a very good, very young team. Sometimes, teams like this take on a life of their own and achive more than anyone expected. I'm very hopeful that the team wins a round, maybe two and if they go even further that's great. And if they have a good run that sets them up for next year and beyond I am fine with that. You've got to learn to win.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:58 PM
HockeyBurd*

Definitely not. They are capable of upsetting anybody in my opinion. But they'd have to upset everybody to win the cup. 4 series of upsets. It's just not possible with this talent level. "Anything can happen" is a fun cliche that gets the blood flowing. But "anything" can't happen and doesn't happen in this league.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:59 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

Definition of the Fanbase

I am hoping for the best, but this definition from the DSM-IV pretty much sums up the emotional state of the NY Ranger fan base from week to week on these boards.

Bipolar Disorder (Manic-Depression)

Category
Mood Disorders

Etiology
Research has shown a strong biological component for this disorder, with environmental factors playing a role in the exacerbation of symptoms.

Symptoms
Bipolar Disorder has been broken down into two types:
Bipolar I: For a diagnosis of Bipolar I disorder, a person must have at least one manic episode. Mania is sometimes referred to as the other extreme to depression. Mania is an intense high where the person feels euphoric, almost indestructible in areas such as personal finances, business dealings, or relationships. They may have an elevated self-esteem, be more talkative than usual, have flight of ideas, a reduced need for sleep, and be easily distracted. The high, although it may sound appealing, will often lead to severe difficulties in these areas, such as spending much more money than intended, making extremely rash business and personal decisions, involvement in dangerous sexual behavior, and/or the use of drugs or alcohol. Depression is often experienced as the high quickly fades and as the consequences of their activities becomes apparent, the depressive episode can be exacerbated.

Bipolar II: Similar to Bipolar I Disorder, there are periods of highs as described above and often followed by periods of depression. Bipolar II Disorder, however is different in that the highs are hypo manic, rather than manic. In other words, they have similar symptoms but they are not severe enough to cause marked impairment in social or occupational functioning and typically do not require hospitalization in order to assure the safety of the person.

Treatment
Medication, such as Lithium, is typically prescribed for this disorder and is the corner stone of treatment. Therapy can be useful in helping the client understand the illness and it’s consequences and be better able to know when a manic or depressive episode is imminent and to prepare for this. As with all disorders, poor coping skills and lack of support will make the illness more pronounced, and this is often a focus of therapeutic treatment.

Prognosis
For more severe cases, prognosis is poor in terms of ’curing’ the illness, as most people need to remain on medication for their entire lives. The manic episodes may slow down as a result of the natural aging process. With medication, the illness can be kept at a minimum level, with some people not experiencing any overt symptoms for months and even years.

However, there are definitely varying degrees of this illness and it is not difficult to misdiagnose due to it's similarity to other mood disorders. If the illness is not severe, often times medication and therapy can do very well in terms of treatment. And, life experience, strong support, and an openness to improve can be enough sometimes to make a difference in outcome.

Last edited by ReggieDunlop68: 03-21-2011 at 12:15 AM.
ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:08 AM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauss View Post
I am hoping for the best, but this definition from the DSM-IV pretty much sums up the emotional state of the NY Ranger fan base from week to week on these boards.
This is screaming to be edited with current and previous threads and topics from this season but I'm seriously lacking the attention span at the moment. Where's BB when you need him?

RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:18 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

FIRST and foremost they need to get in. IF they can (and I believe they can) we've seen some Rangers teams finish mid/low in the standings go far in the history of this franchise (79, 81, 86, 97) and there's always one or two low seeds every year that go far.

That being said;

This team has the youthful energy of the 79 team along with the grit and work ethic of the 86 team.

For this team to go far with those two things and a hot goalie, they need one guy to be a "John Druce" and get really hot in the playoffs. I can see either Christensen or Wolski going on a tear. If they do, it could carry them a few rounds.

This is all of course hypothetical; they need to seal the deal first.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:27 AM
trilobyte

Nobody else a wee bit concerned that the backup to Henrik has played 6 NHL games?

That is not something to be ignored should the team enter the playoffs. It's nothing to get all frozen up with fear with either, but worth noting.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:46 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

You are not a contender unless you are one of the top teams during the regular season. Sure, every now and then a lower seeded team will win, but even in those years, it's 1 team out of 8. Most years, it's really too hard to go from a 7 seed to the Cup, especially for a team that has struggled for most of the regular season.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:15 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I don't know if we have a real chance, but I'm not going with the attitude that if we don't win the Cup THIS YEAR I'm gonna be pissed or anything. I'll be surprised/very pleased if we can win a round. Anything more than that would just be awesome.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:53 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

ahh ranger fans...win a few games, were stanley cup contenders...lose a few and we should can a coach who probably will get some consideration as coach of the year.

and ppl complain about the habs fan base lol ;-)

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:25 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
It's really exciting for me to see you young guys on the forum getting excited. I am always excited when the playoffs start because once you are in, anything can happen. Too many people here were ready to burn the furniture here not that long ago. The rebuild is working and I admit, it's worked better than I expected. This is a very good, very young team. Sometimes, teams like this take on a life of their own and achive more than anyone expected. I'm very hopeful that the team wins a round, maybe two and if they go even further that's great. And if they have a good run that sets them up for next year and beyond I am fine with that. You've got to learn to win.
Excited for the playoffs? I'm excited for the next 9 games. This team is playing so well right now.

Watching NHL on the Fly and the host saying "Pierre McGuire talked after the game with Rangers LEADER Ryan Callahan" and it brought a smile to my face and gave me the chills. Someone people have been watching since his 1st game in the NHL is the player who leads this team on the ice and it is awesome.

We have a team for the first time in as long as I can remember is: Young, Exciting, Tough, Gritty, and doesn't quit. All people know are the aging veterans, over-priced free agents and over-the-hill players that used to fill the Rangers line-up pre-lockout and for a while after the lockout. This is a new brand of hockey for the people who were too young to see '94 and the few years after. Hell, I don't know much about the '94 team, I was too young. Watching what is going on here is a new feel for the people of my generation.

Getting to watch: Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal, and Girardi develop into top players in the league has been a treat. Even though people had concerns about these players the past couple of years, it's pretty evident now that they are the leaders.

Starting to watch: Anisimov, Stepan, McDonagh, Zuccarello, and Sauer come into the league, establish themselves as NHLers as rookies and in Anisimov's case, 2nd year players is a treat. You see the growth in these players game after game. Two 40+ point centers, one 22, one 20, Two Top Four defense grow together as a pair and being able to lead the team in +/- all while playing against top 6 NHL forwards in ES and PK situations, and a European "midget" breaking into the league "too soon" playing a role on our PP and showing he's got the game for the NHL. Will there be ups and downs over the next couple year just like with our leaders right now? Of course, we've seen it with another youngster who needs some more time (Del Zotto, Grachev)

Anticipation of watching: Kreider, MDZ, Grachev, McIlrath, Valentenko and see how they play in the NHL in the up-coming years. A couple big wingers with speed and an NHL caliber shot, a young offensive-D that showed what he can do last year, and has gotten better, and two big banging defenders that should be able to protect the King's Throne and his Court.

Do we have a shot at making noise in the playoffs and pulling some kind of run Philly made last year? Sure, but we need things to fall into place like they did for Philly last season. They got the Devils, Bruins, and Habs which are all teams they had more skill then. That is going to be hard to find in this East where teams like: Philly, Tampa, Boston, Pitt (With Crosby) and Washington have. The good news is: We have played Washington and Pittsburgh great this year. Tampa swept us convincingly, Philly outside the 7-0 game has eaten us alive, and Boston we have two games left to see what that story is. If we have success against Boston, a road of Washington, Pittsburgh, and Boston could be ideal. Playing against any other team that gets in (Montreal, Buffalo, Carolina) would be nice as well since I believe we have more skill then them.

We also need Hank to be on his game and Gaborik to be the player he was last season. If things fall the right way, we can GET there. Winning it, is another story. IMO, we can't contend in a 7 game series against Detroit, Vancouver, and Chicago. Any other west team we can compete with. Those teams are on another level when it comes to overall talent. Sure we beat Chicago and Vancouver this year, but it took amazing performances from our defense against Vancouver, who was playing their back-up, and Chicago isn't the same team that took the ice to open the season. Detroit beat us, and we played well, but that was Datsyuk's 1st game back from injury, and he's better then he was that night for sure.

So, can we make the run people would like to see? Yes. Can this team go all the way? I don't see it.

mrjimmyg89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:08 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I think we can make it to the finals, the East is arguably wide open, but if we do, we'll probably get owned by whatever team is representing the West.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:10 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
You are not a contender unless you are one of the top teams during the regular season. Sure, every now and then a lower seeded team will win, but even in those years, it's 1 team out of 8. Most years, it's really too hard to go from a 7 seed to the Cup, especially for a team that has struggled for most of the regular season.
We didn't struggle "MOST" of the regular season. We had a pretty big slump, and the fact that we didn't fall out of playoff seeding tells you the rest of our season was pretty damn good.

Old
03-21-2011, 04:10 AM
ohbaby

So many ifs.

I think the Rangers have proved they could be competitive with anyone in this league. They always give themselves a chance to win a game by playing good D and having Hank in net.

The key as it has been the entire year, is scoring. Scoring key goals at key times.

And that's basically the key for every team in the playoffs,... as they will all be bringing their top effort.

On paper, we don't have the skill of teams like PHI and WAS, but didn't we just throw those two a massive beating?

It's nice to see our 3rd and 4th lines scoring this year, whoever they are, I'm not sure. As winning playoff games usually involve alot of unsung heros. And we have a whole team of unsung heros!

Last edited by ohbaby: 03-21-2011 at 04:35 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:13 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Definitely not. They are capable of upsetting anybody in my opinion. But they'd have to upset everybody to win the cup. 4 series of upsets. It's just not possible with this talent level. "Anything can happen" is a fun cliche that gets the blood flowing. But "anything" can't happen and doesn't happen in this league.
Other than Tampa Bay, Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington I don't see the opponent being heavy favorites in the East versus us. We won every game in Pittsburgh this season. Montreal and NY are pretty evenly matched going in. Carolina/Buffalo both gave us their fair share of trouble but will most likely be lower seeds.

Old
03-21-2011, 04:28 AM
Zucca

vCash: 987
And don't forget: Redden's back for the playoffs!!!

Zucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:46 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zucca View Post
And don't forget: Redden's back for the playoffs!!!
Dear God No!

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:12 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
It's all about matchups.

Rangers vs. Flyers in the first round - Rangers are out in 6
Rangers vs. Washington - Possible upset there. I'll say Rangers in 7
Rangers vs. Montreal - Montreal in 6
Rangers vs. Pens - Rangers in 6
Rangers vs. Boston - Boston in 6
Rangers vs. Tampa - Tampa in 6
Rangers vs. Buffalo - Toss up

The Rangers do not match up well with Philly, Tampa or Montreal. One game (against both Philly and Montreal) doesn't change that fact.

Boston I just think is to dangerous up and down the line-up and their defence and goaltending is as strong as ours.

Washington we match up well against same as Pitt

Buffalo is an odd team for us, they force us into wierd games where both teams do not look good against each other. However, I think that similar to Montreal they have some smaller speedier forwards that can cause us some issues.

Contender? Only if the match ups are aligned for us.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:29 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Yee of little faith.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:36 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Things are going well right now, yes, but we could also be out of the playoffs with 1 bad week. Hopefully we keep this up, but talk of the Cup is extremely premature. We still aren't ready to make a run in my opinion.

If Crosby and Malkin are healthy, I doubt we win, yesterday. Not having Staal in the lineup would have killed us against them.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Dorado*

How about playing at least 500 hockey the last 3 weeks and pray that the Devils don't reel off another 9 straight to where the last game of the season is another disaster like last years win and in scenario . I'm glad we started getting a few calls and bounces in our favor but this team is an injury away , IE , Hank , Staal etc away from 9-10 place .
Gaborik / Prospal / EC / McCabe are pretty up and down game to game 5-5 but have energized the power play . Gaborik continuing to score down the stretch is key to at least MAKING the playlets let alone winning a round .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Bardof425*

I will be happy if we make the playoffs. However, once we are there I will want the cup. Realistically, we can scare people but we will need many good bounces and Hank to stand on his head to win more than one round. Let's get in, see the matchup and then revisit. We are starting to jinx our recent success. Still 9 games to go and they are all tough at this time of year. LGR!

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:33 AM
beastly115

I dont think were contenders. I honestly believe that if we had richards we would be though. The team is finally starting to play like they did in the fall. Couple this team with a legit num 1 center and wed be dangerous.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote