HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll (Redux): Boosh or Bob?

View Poll Results: Who starts in goal for the playoffs?
Boucher 30 29.41%
Bobrovsky 56 54.90%
Rotation 21 20.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-18-2011, 03:23 PM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Yup nobody is picking up that "mantle" that Hitch and Holmgren used to say with respect to grabbing the bull by the horns and running with it...

Bob has made more of the hard saves than Boosh of late though... with the occassional flubber he should have had. I thought Boosh was wayyyy off his game last night. He was dropping to his knees and commiting too early often. It was actually disconcerting to see at this stage in the season...
LOL - I Had this EXACT conversation with my brother last night. We were talking about how Boucher has always stayed as a backup in the NHL because he gets lazy. You know when he is lazy because he goes into the butterfly too quickly instead of using his reflexes (which are great) to make saves. He was terrible last night just like the rest of the team.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 03:34 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I went with Bobrovsky. 25-11-5, .920 Save Percentage, 2.58GAA. If he were anywhere else in the league, he'd be the starter come playoff time. Those are starter numbers. Yeah, he's flubbed it a bit recently, but I have no concerns that once the playoffs start, he'll be ready to go.

I know the popular thing is to go with Boucher because he's the "veteran", but Bobrovsky is only going to get better when he experiences what a playoff situation is like. And personally, I think he'll step up to the plate and deliver. When you consider he wasn't supposed to make the team out of camp and not only did he make the team, but he carried them for the longest of time, then yeah, he's earned his shot.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 04:11 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I went with Bobrovsky. 25-11-5, .920 Save Percentage, 2.58GAA. If he were anywhere else in the league, he'd be the starter come playoff time. Those are starter numbers. Yeah, he's flubbed it a bit recently, but I have no concerns that once the playoffs start, he'll be ready to go.

I know the popular thing is to go with Boucher because he's the "veteran", but Bobrovsky is only going to get better when he experiences what a playoff situation is like. And personally, I think he'll step up to the plate and deliver. When you consider he wasn't supposed to make the team out of camp and not only did he make the team, but he carried them for the longest of time, then yeah, he's earned his shot.
I wouldn't exactly say he's carried the team......but yeah, he's defied a lot of expectations to be where he is, so it wouldn't be surprising if he seized the chance and ran with the playoffs.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I picked Bobrovsky in the new poll. We've seen what he looks like when he's got some adrenaline going. My thinking is that he can stay in early season form once the play-offs come around. There is more of a book on him now, but I still think he's a better option than Boosh.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 08:52 AM
archiejay

I would call Leighton up either way, and get him a few games before the season is over. GAA=2.30, SV%=0.921, SO=3 on a Phantoms team that isn`t the strongest.

Ok, flame away. I know he would have to go on re-entry waivers though. Then you ride the hot hand regardless.

archiejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:12 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiejay View Post
I would call Leighton up either way, and get him a few games before the season is over. GAA=2.30, SV%=0.921, SO=3 on a Phantoms team that isn`t the strongest.

Ok, flame away. I know he would have to go on re-entry waivers though. Then you ride the hot hand regardless.
You can't call up Leighton until the playoffs start.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:15 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:

Terrible idea. He wouldn't make it through, and wouldn't be an upgrade anyway. Not worth the risk that we lose the cap space next year.

I'm gonna pistol whip the next person that suggests recalling Michael F*ing Leighton.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:08 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Terrible idea. He wouldn't make it through, and wouldn't be an upgrade anyway. Not worth the risk that we lose the cap space next year.

I'm gonna pistol whip the next person that suggests recalling Michael F*ing Leighton.
People can dismiss Leighton all they want, but you can't deny that he didn't play well for the Flyers during his stint last year. Chemistry is a real funny thing sometimes. And it was clear that from last year, Leighton had a chemistry with the guys on the ice.

I don't think it's a bad idea to bring him up once the playoffs start. I don't think he should go into a game unless: A) the game is completely out of hand or B) someone gets hurt. I know I wouldn't be totally opposed to Leighton being on the main club because fact of the matter is that he did play well when he was on the main club.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
People can dismiss Leighton all they want, but you can't deny that he didn't play well for the Flyers during his stint last year. Chemistry is a real funny thing sometimes. And it was clear that from last year, Leighton had a chemistry with the guys on the ice.

I don't think it's a bad idea to bring him up once the playoffs start. I don't think he should go into a game unless: A) the game is completely out of hand or B) someone gets hurt. I know I wouldn't be totally opposed to Leighton being on the main club because fact of the matter is that he did play well when he was on the main club.
Leighton played very well, relative to his prior level of play. Which is to say that he played like a vet back-up.

I also don't really buy the whole chemistry with other players thing. At least not at the goalie position. The goaltender plays alone in a team sport, for the most part. There are some small interactions between goalie and defense, but nothing to the point where it would require any real chemistry between them.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Bob Robsky.

hands down

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:04 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If Bob keeps it up like in Dallas, he will start for us.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:07 PM
mja
Negative Creep

I was uncertain until that ridiculous right pad stop tonight off the one-timer in the slot. It'll be Bob.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

LOL-EIGHTON!

Man this fraud is like the zombie of goalies.....he gives legitimacy to the saying that "not all things buried are dead"

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:15 PM
jethro flyer

Bob has been the best option all season, thats why he didn't see the AHL, I think we as flyers fan (at least since Hextall) are always sceptical of any goalie, but if you think about his numbers and the fact that is a rookie (at least in this league) he has done way more then was expected.

jethro flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:17 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

High risk - low reward? No thanks. Besides, by virtue of a single-game (and even then) sample, Bob is THE MAN who is gonna take this team to the Cup.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 09:54 AM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I was uncertain until that ridiculous right pad stop tonight off the one-timer in the slot. It'll be Bob.
This.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Garbage Goal

Always have wanted Bob to start, but who knows what Laviolette will do.

Quote:

Leighton has won the AHL goalie of the year award and Alexandre Giroux is an all-star down there. Being good in the AHL means jack **** in regards to the NHL, especially if the player in question is almost 30.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:03 AM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Bob will start playoffs, get a cup, and conn smythe.......

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:57 AM
dats81

Pathetic

Leighton could have a 94.0 percentage and put up as many shutouts as he wants but is done in the eyes of most posters on this board because he let in that goal in last years finals.
Some things seem to stick forever....

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:46 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
The real question here is which goalie is more "Clutch"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Leighton could have a 94.0 percentage and put up as many shutouts as he wants but is done in the eyes of most posters on this board because he let in that goal in last years finals.
Some things seem to stick forever....
He also lied to his GM about an injury

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:01 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
The real question here is which goalie is more "Clutch"?

He also lied to his GM about an injury
Right. But Lappy lied to the coach and medical staff as well when he decided to hit the ice with serious post-concussion effects in the playoffs. And now the team is on the hook for his salary while he will never ever play fo them again. But he is still a hero in Philly (yes, I like him too)?!

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:10 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Right. But Lappy lied to the coach and medical staff as well when he decided to hit the ice with serious post-concussion effects in the playoffs. And now the team is on the hook for his salary while he will never ever play fo them again. But he is still a hero in Philly (yes, I like him too)?!
he was already signed when he got hurt. Lappy lied about his injuries to try and help the team win, Leighton lied about his injuries long enough to secure a new 3.1 million dollar contract.

If Bobrovsky hadn't played well this season, We would have been ****ed for signing injured Leighton

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Really hoping Bob makes his case on Tuesday/Thursday.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Dorny12

Bob NOT making his case in the 1st vs Caps that was 2 weak ones.

Dorny12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Tommy D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorny12 View Post
Bob NOT making his case in the 1st vs Caps that was 2 weak ones.
If this kid starts round 1 then were 1 and done.

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote