HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Prospal?

Old
03-20-2011, 10:54 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Why is everyone so quick to pencil in Kreider for a spot on the team next year. The kid isn't even close to a PPG player in the NCAA and some of you want him over a veteran like Prospal.
This is the way I see it, and it's hardly Prospal vs. Kreider anyway. As of right now, Prospal is the better NHL player. Let's see if CK is ready for the NHL before displacing Vinny.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:15 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Bring him back. He's a terrific teammate, solid player, a veteran leader, and won't cost much.

Pretty much. Would like to see him back.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:29 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Prospal can be frustrating to watch play but he also makes his teammates better while hardly ever being appreciated . He's great at making plays and plays well positionally. I think several teams around the league would be happy to have him at or below 1.5m or so. TB could maybe find a use for him again, maybe to help out our inconsistent PP

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Canjo
AVA

I agree with the comments about opening up spots for young guys, we have so many players in the lineup that we should not give up, and alot of young players that we all know have potential and I at least would like to see get NHL time, Prospal has been good, I like him, but past this season, I think he would be a liability who would only jam up a spot and be old. dont get me wrong, I would resign him to a very cheap, 1 year deal with him understanding that he takes a back seat if we have prospects that we want to play, but only under that circumstance, as a veteran leader and utility guy in the short term who steps back when Kreider and company are ready

Canjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:18 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I'm probably in the minority, but I would not rather see Prospal back instead of Christensen if it was between those two (which it won't be). Christensen's been quietly putting up similar numbers to Prospal recently, has a much better chance at being able to play 70+ games next season, and can easily be buried/waived/dealt/scratched without much issue. Christensen is a gamer, IMO, he's shown up in big games for us and the past two seasons has been great down the stretch in the playoff push.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:19 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I would rather have him back than Erik Christensen.

I he becomes a liability as some suggest, dump him in Hartford and he'll retire.
being that Vinny is over 35, dumping him in Hartford wouldn't do us any good

Old
03-21-2011, 05:22 AM
RangerFan10

I also want to say, I really doubt any young forwards are ready to make the jump next season. MAYBE, and I stress MAYBE, Grachev. But I really think his development is going to take a lot of time.

Anisimov, Stepan...these guys are the exceptions, not the rule, to prospects.

Old
03-21-2011, 06:08 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
being that Vinny is over 35, dumping him in Hartford wouldn't do us any good
Not true. A contract is only a 35+ contract if it's for more than 1 year, and the automatic cap hit only triggers in the 2nd and subsequent years. So if Vinny were to sign a 2 year deal with us this summer, we could send him down next year and he'd be off the cap, but the following year, his cap hit would count no matter what.

That's exactly what happened with Brashear, except we traded him before the second year to get rid of his cap hit.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Vinny Prospal?No way. The Rangers will have a hard enough time re-signing their group II's and adding the #1 center from Dallas without wasting another million plus on Prospal whose $1.4M bonus will probably rollover into next season. Prospal is skating on one leg and people want to bring him back for next season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:47 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Vinny Prospal?No way. The Rangers will have a hard enough time re-signing their group II's and adding the #1 center from Dallas without wasting another million plus on Prospal whose $1.4M bonus will probably rollover into next season. Prospal is skating on one leg and people want to bring him back for next season.
And he's skated on that one leg straight to a 9 game point streak.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:57 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Fedetenko and Prospal need to be re-signed...Drury needs to be bought out or traded.If you are looking for veteran leadership,its guys like Vaclav Prospoal and Ruslan Fedetenkpo that you need here.there heart and soul players,give there most game in and out....Say I'm crazy,but I give both 2 year deals.These are the type of guys that NYRs youth needs to be around,that's a fact.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:04 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Fedetenko and Prospal need to be re-signed...Drury needs to be bought out or traded.If you are looking for veteran leadership,its guys like Vaclav Prospoal and Ruslan Fedetenkpo that you need here.there heart and soul players,give there most game in and out....Say I'm crazy,but I give both 2 year deals.These are the type of guys that NYRs youth needs to be around,that's a fact.
Your crazy. You can't give Prospal a two year deal when it would be a 35+ deal. If he goes down there is nothing you can do to get rid of the cap hit.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:16 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
I am glad you aren't running things. Beyond the fact that I don't think that either will (or should) be back, you want to give them 2 year deals? How does that benefit the Rangers even in the slightest? Are you paying attention to the cap situation at all? What about the kids that could be on the way next year? In general, you don't give veteran guys any more than 1 year unless you have to and neither are key members of this team. It just doesn't make any sense. So yes... you ARE crazy.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:18 AM
MeltingPlastic

Quote:
give them both 1 year deals and thats it... 2 years is asking for trouble!

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I would not rather see Prospal back instead of Christensen if it was between those two (which it won't be). Christensen's been quietly putting up similar numbers to Prospal recently, has a much better chance at being able to play 70+ games next season, and can easily be buried/waived/dealt/scratched without much issue. Christensen is a gamer, IMO, he's shown up in big games for us and the past two seasons has been great down the stretch in the playoff push.
Christensen always goes through a stretch where he puts up solid numbers. And then he disappears for months at a time. That's always been his thing.

It would be just as easy to waive/bury/trade Prospal, so long as he only signs a one-year deal.

As far as showing up down the stretch and in big games, can't you say the same for Prospal? I think so. And he shows up wayyyy more than EC.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:52 PM
NYROrtsFan

People CANNOT underrate Prospal's intangibles. I really think his attitude is infectious and he helps guys around him. I think guys like him make it even more fun for the others to show up at work and bust their ass. Throw in the fact that Vinny also puts up points, and he definitely has value to this team.

I'm a huge fan of Vinny. The legs aren't there but he's still a top 3 passer on our team. Tortorella is unbelievably honest. Although he loves him, he'll let him go when Vinny becomes too much of a liability defensively or otherwise.

I see Vinny similar to Straka. Just keep them around because they seem to cause good things to happen.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:57 PM
dogfox

I am actually torn between keeping him or letting him walk.

pros

he gets gaborik going
he does try hard and effert is not a problem with him.
He makes great passes.
and does put up the stats.
hes a vetern presence

cons

he is probably one of the slowest players on not just the team but maybe in the league. But to his credit he was injured and trying to come over half way through the season naturally you are gonna be behind and it will take time to catch up. But how much is that because of coming half way through the season or is he just old now.
he chasses the puck and is bad without it.
has no shot,
pillion defensively

overall
lets be honest if torts is not the coach or gaborik is injured he is a healthy scratch. if our team is built on defense and grinding it out he like avery is a liability. if we can sign him for 2 million then okay other than that I would say no.

dogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:35 PM
dynamoovechkin

I find it odd that this thread would come up now that Prospal is on a 9 game point streak. Anybody else notice that Gabby is waking up now, and we are on our first 4 game winning streak of the season, just at the right time? Coincidence? I think not.

That said, his skating has not come back since the knee injury, but still, he is a clever and useful player. As far as next year, with Avery gone that opens up a spot, but if I were in the braintrust, it would be Feds or Vinny, but not both, depending of course if Kreider, Hagelin or Grachev are ready for prime time.

I'd love to keep him though. Gotta love what he gives us- another heart and soul guy- he just fits who we are right now.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
I'd take Feds, he's been great with Boyle and Prust. But Prospal has shown chemistry with Gabby too.
This. (In response to if we had to choose Feds or Prosp)

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:14 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

you have to love that he wears his heart on his sleeve, he clearly wants to win and inspires his teammates.

that said I am unimpressed with his 5 on 5 play

If they cannot find an adequate replacement in the system to replace him then bring him back but on a one year deal for a lowball offer

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:28 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
He can't skate. We should not re-sign him. He's been good for us though.
That read very schizophrenic.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 03:03 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Definitely re-sign prospal.

Great player, great teammate and obviously a good spark plug.Not to mention that Vinny and Richards used to both play on tampa for Torts when they won the cup.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote