HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ovechkin Sitting Tomorrow (Tuesday, March 22, 2011)

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2011, 10:33 AM
duffy9748

vCash: 500
Ovechkin Sitting Tomorrow (Tuesday, March 22, 2011)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...medium=twitter

Do they not want to contend for the conference?

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=556701

Quote:
When the Caps take to the ice in Philadelphia on Tuesday for a crucial late-season tilt with the Flyers, they’ll do so without team captain Alex Ovechkin. The Washington left wing will be sidelined for a short period of time with an undisclosed ailment.

With Washington’s playoff berth all but cemented with three weeks remaining in the season, and with Tuesday’s game in Philadelphia being the only game the Capitals play over a span of six days, this was the optimal time for Ovechkin to step back for a few games and take some time to heal up and get his body ready for the rigorous run that is the Stanley Cup playoffs.

“He just needs to take some time off to get completely healed up,” says Caps’ general manager George McPhee, who estimates the Caps’ captain would require somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-10 days away from the lineup.

Going into Monday’s NHL action, Ovechkin is sixth in the league in scoring with 77 points (29 goals, 48 assists) and was tied for 17th with a plus-22 rating. He leads the Capitals in goals, assists, points, plus/minus, and is tied for the team lead with six power play goals.

“He’s been bothered by this nagging ailment for a couple of months,” says Caps coach Bruce Boudreau. “We just thought we’d take care of it now. His body needs a little bit of rest. We thought this was a good time to rest his body for a week to two weeks so he’s fresh come April.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-22-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old
03-21-2011, 10:35 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...medium=twitter

I honestly don't think it matters that much so long as you get home ice advantage, and the way that they've been playing in comparison to Tampa, they're a shoe in to win the division.

Against a physical team like the Flyers and some nagging injuries, it's not a dumb move on their part.

Old
03-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Jester

A bit surprising given that if they want to catch us, they essentially have to win the game... but, at the same time, if he's really dinged up it's an ideal time to get him extended time off before the playoffs.

Old
03-21-2011, 10:41 AM
flountown

Wow, taking off during fantasy hockey playoffs, in my league's case, the championship. Fantasy owners will not be happy...

Old
03-21-2011, 10:44 AM
bgroban

Hey guys. He's been dinged up all season.

You have no excuses not to win now.

Old
03-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Cleary84

This could possibly turn out to be a very good move and it will show over the next three weeks. 6+ days of rest could be a godsend for Ovie.

Old
03-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
This could possibly turn out to be a very good move and it will show over the next three weeks. 6+ days of rest could be a godsend for Ovie.
Yeah, basically getting him a week off to rest up... that can pay huge dividends.

Old
03-21-2011, 11:21 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post
Hey guys. He's been dinged up all season.

You have no excuses not to win now.
Completely agree. I mean, how will the Caps survive without Ovechkin and expect players like Semin, Backstrom, Knuble, Green, Laich, or Neuvirth to step up and perform without their fearless leader? The Caps are completely hopeless.

Old
03-21-2011, 11:24 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

Actually now that I think about it, maybe they should go for the conference win so they can avoid the Habs in the first round.

Old
03-21-2011, 11:53 AM
clockwise

Smart move for the caps if Ove is dinged up. This game doesn't really mean much as they have their tickets punched for the real season and both teams will have home ice in the first round.

Old
03-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I guess that makes up for the lack of Pronger.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:33 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Most Cap fans believe it's his wrist that's bothering him (and has been for most of the season.) His shot has been pretty close to garbage for most of the season, and has only recently started to return to form. Either way, I still look forward to a spirited affair tomorrow .

Old
03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Supposedly Green might sit tom also

-via twitter people

Old
03-21-2011, 01:21 PM
txpd

not a chance that green plays. arnott was sat down for the road trip. ovechkin now for the back half of the trip. he will skip the flyers game as well as the caps back to back trip to canada over the weekend. HNIC will be upset.

caps injured list for the flyers game will be ovechkin, arnott, green, fehr, poti

Old
03-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
not a chance that green plays. arnott was sat down for the road trip. ovechkin now for the back half of the trip. he will skip the flyers game as well as the caps back to back trip to canada over the weekend. HNIC will be upset.

caps injured list for the flyers game will be ovechkin, arnott, green, fehr, poti
Holy poop ****.

Old
03-21-2011, 01:32 PM
duffy9748

I guess the pretty much have the 2nd seed wrapped up for the most part. I just think they'd really be pushing for 1 considering they'd probably play us if they made the ECF.

Old
03-21-2011, 01:54 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

Old
03-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwise View Post
Smart move for the caps if Ove is dinged up. This game doesn't really mean much as they have their tickets punched for the real season and both teams will have home ice in the first round.
It's always smart to get key players healthy, but Wash is not out of Tampa's range yet, or Boston's for that matter, so they don't have a guarantee of home ice yet.

Anyway, the absence of AO et all is all the more reason for the Flyers to get psyched up and win tomorrow. Put some distance between them and the Caps and Pens. Then they can start getting ready for a series vs. Buffalo.

Old
03-21-2011, 02:35 PM
rban*

Only problem with getting second seed instead of first is the possibility of meeting Boston before the Conference finals. If Caps meet Bruins too early they are in big trouble. They'll either get beaten or beaten down/ softened up for the Flyers.

Old
03-21-2011, 04:25 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:

This tells me they don't care about the regular season and are focusing solely on the playoffs.

A smart move imo, especially considering what happened to them last year.

Old
03-22-2011, 08:24 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Only problem with getting second seed instead of first is the possibility of meeting Boston before the Conference finals. If Caps meet Bruins too early they are in big trouble. They'll either get beaten or beaten down/ softened up for the Flyers.
even money chance right now that boston is the 5th or 6th seed by playoffs. they have 1 pt on montreal with the habs on the way up and the b's on the way down. regardless, the way boston is playing they very well might be on the golf course by the second round.

Old
03-22-2011, 10:07 AM
MsWoof

Friends of mine are going to Mtl this weekend. They're going to be pissed that he's being rested.

Old
03-22-2011, 12:29 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Wow, taking off during fantasy hockey playoffs, in my league's case, the championship. Fantasy owners will not be happy...
Yeah in one of my keeper leagues I have Ovechkin and I am trying to defend my Championship. I have a few guys on day to day like Downie who wont help me either.

Closed Thread