HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We legitimately have a chance at the Cup. No?

Old
03-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 500
A 7th seed has never won the cup, and the Rangers 2nd pair of defensemen are rookies. Those two factors make it very difficult to imagine the Rangers as cup contenders. They should be a tough out in the 1st round and may surprise a team, but this post season is more about getting the rookies and sophomores some playoff experience.

Also, any chance of cup contention was just squashed by the hockey gods because of this thread. So great job, OP.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Whats Biron's status like. If we make it to the playoffs any one know if there is a chance he will be back?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Whats Biron's status like. If we make it to the playoffs any one know if there is a chance he will be back?
He stated a few days ago that he was three weeks away from getting out of the sling.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:51 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
It's all about matchups.

Rangers vs. Flyers in the first round - Rangers are out in 6
Rangers vs. Washington - Possible upset there. I'll say Rangers in 7
Rangers vs. Montreal - Montreal in 6
Rangers vs. Pens - Rangers in 6
Rangers vs. Boston - Boston in 6
Rangers vs. Tampa - Tampa in 6
Rangers vs. Buffalo - Toss up

The Rangers do not match up well with Philly, Tampa or Montreal. One game (against both Philly and Montreal) doesn't change that fact.

Boston I just think is to dangerous up and down the line-up and their defence and goaltending is as strong as ours.

Washington we match up well against same as Pitt

Buffalo is an odd team for us, they force us into wierd games where both teams do not look good against each other. However, I think that similar to Montreal they have some smaller speedier forwards that can cause us some issues.

Contender? Only if the match ups are aligned for us.
I agree with your analysis somewhat as it builds off my post before.

When I was talking about favorable matchups on page 2 I think I was talking something along the lines of getting Washington in the 1st round (out of the top 3 teams) then maybe getting a Boston (who if we play like this I can see us beating) and then not having to worry about the Flyers until the ECF.

I DO NOT want to match up with Tampa or Philly in round 1, and personally would like to push those off as long as possible. Would like to get PIT, WAS, or BOS in the first couple rounds.

*This is naturally assuming we make it, are still playing well, and we win a round or two*

Not really addressing you specifically pld, just needed to elaborate off my original post.

03-21-2011, 01:32 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Definitely not. They are capable of upsetting anybody in my opinion. But they'd have to upset everybody to win the cup. 4 series of upsets. It's just not possible with this talent level. "Anything can happen" is a fun cliche that gets the blood flowing. But "anything" can't happen and doesn't happen in this league.
If by anything you mean a 7 or 8 can't make noise in the PO's and make it to the EC of SCF than I gotta ask if you've been around the last 8 years. I don't think the rangers are doing it though I've been syked about beating the piss out of some PO teams for awhile now. I do recognize that there is a pattern of teams coming out of left field in every sport nowadays to make it to the finals and occassionally winning. Quasi regularly. Usually happens with teams that were injured most of the year since they had the potetnial but injury kept them from reaching it. Hit their stride at the right time and boom Philly to the SCF, Montreal winning some rounds, Giants beat Pats, Jets make the AFC 2 years running,

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
For the cup definitely not! Vancouver/Detroit/Hawks (if they make it) gotta be the overwhelming favourites.

I would be happy with 2 rounds. First against Caps and then Philly/buffalo/Carolina.
It will be all mighty scrap.

We need to continue winning consistently (6-7 out of last 9) to put the bug into the opposition's heads, and staying healthy.

Don't underestimate the Avery effect now, in the playoffs. He would be rested and a bloody nuisance.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:52 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
If by anything you mean a 7 or 8 can't make noise in the PO's and make it to the EC of SCF
No, it isn't. I like to think I put a little more qualitative thought into situations rather than defining a team by sticking a number on them. I kind of like to look at the rosters, the way the matchups play out, the talent pools in the respective year of "anything" having occurred, etc.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:53 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Other than Tampa Bay, Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington I don't see the opponent being heavy favorites in the East versus us. We won every game in Pittsburgh this season. Montreal and NY are pretty evenly matched going in. Carolina/Buffalo both gave us their fair share of trouble but will most likely be lower seeds.
Basically you just summed up exactly how it is. Totally agree. And then of course there is the Western conference on top of that. But we are in 100% agreement.

Old
03-21-2011, 01:55 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Yee of little faith.
No... I have a lot of faith. I think they could really give hell to near any team.

Old
03-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
A 7th seed has never won the cup, and the Rangers 2nd pair of defensemen are rookies. Those two factors make it very difficult to imagine the Rangers as cup contenders. They should be a tough out in the 1st round and may surprise a team, but this post season is more about getting the rookies and sophomores some playoff experience.

Also, any chance of cup contention was just squashed by the hockey gods because of this thread. So great job, OP.
LOL So discussing our teams future is a bad thing and will cost us the cup? I dont think so.

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:04 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
I agree with your analysis somewhat as it builds off my post before.

When I was talking about favorable matchups on page 2 I think I was talking something along the lines of getting Washington in the 1st round (out of the top 3 teams) then maybe getting a Boston (who if we play like this I can see us beating) and then not having to worry about the Flyers until the ECF.

I DO NOT want to match up with Tampa or Philly in round 1, and personally would like to push those off as long as possible. Would like to get PIT, WAS, or BOS in the first couple rounds.

*This is naturally assuming we make it, are still playing well, and we win a round or two*

Not really addressing you specifically pld, just needed to elaborate off my original post.
While I didn't read the whole thread, I think you are spot on with your assessment.

Matchups, when you can control them, are a great thing indeed and if by some chance we can stay in 7th place and the Caps remain in 2nd that is a match up I wouldn't mind. Granted, we are asking to see Ovie in the first round and he will be fresh as he is going to be sat for the next week+, but I wouls still prefer the Caps in the first round over Philly.

Great minds my friend, great minds.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:52 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
No, it isn't. I like to think I put a little more qualitative thought into situations rather than defining a team by sticking a number on them. I kind of like to look at the rosters, the way the matchups play out, the talent pools in the respective year of "anything" having occurred, etc.
I don't understand what you mean by "no it isn't". I was asking what was meant by anything. Is ottowa winning? That anything can't happen. I'm asking to look at it qualitatively, look at this years situation and make your prediction which you do in the next post. I think anything can happen extends to what I said. That's just my definition. Since I gave you my version of "Anything can happen" you can agree or disagree. I know I feel a certain way but don't expect you or everyone else to though i'm sure some do share my way of thinkinf on this. No real right or wrong answer. Can the rangers go to a SCF or ECF hell yea anything can happen in that regard I feel. Can they win it....(Rubs back of neck)

Give it a few years I think.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:25 AM
MrJonas

The playoffs are all about timing your peak, and they seem to have found a good point to get hot at. I know I'll be rooting for the Rangers in the east.

MrJonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:48 AM
patnyrnyg

It all depends on your interpretation of the word, "legitimate". If you are one that believes everyone who is mathematically alive has a legitimate shot, then the Rangers do. If you think only the favorites have a legitimate shot than no. Way I see it, for the Rangers they would need favorable match-ups and would really need 3/4 of their team to go on tears and probably need Lundqvist to steal a series or two.

I think they would beat Washington in a series, not sure they can beat Philly, Tampa, or Boston without a bunch of players really stepping up their game.

For now, way too early to think about the Cup. Get in, win the first round and see where it goes.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:23 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
Don't underestimate the Avery effect now, in the playoffs. He would be rested and a bloody nuisance.
For which team? Avery will have no effect if he's sitting in the press box, which may be the best place for him. Last thing we need is Avery taking stupid penalties.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:14 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by markman34 View Post
So what do you guys think? Contenders or a first/second round knock off.
did we clinch? When?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
For which team? Avery will have no effect if he's sitting in the press box, which may be the best place for him. Last thing we need is Avery taking stupid penalties.

I am not an Avery advocate, far from it....but you need a Tikk type player to get under the players' skin and Avery does that well.
He will behave! Its his last chance. He may be very effective when focused.

Now anyone for a Ranger - Canucks Final?

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
I am not an Avery advocate, far from it....but you need a Tikk type player to get under the players' skin and Avery does that well.
He will behave! Its his last chance. He may be very effective when focused.
LOL remember two years ago when we said Avery will play smart and Torts will keep him under control in the playoffs? Then during the Capitals series, Torts couldn't even keep Torts under control!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Black Aces

Since I won't be able to watch the ECF or the finals they will probably make a huge run.

Black Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:45 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Aces View Post
Since I won't be able to watch the ECF or the finals they will probably make a huge run.
That's my greatest fear. I'd kill myself if this team finally makes a run and possibly wins it and I'm not there to see it.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:55 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

After watching some of the Flyers game tonight I am fairly convinced their their traditional goaltending achillies will be right there in the playoffs again. They are beatable. Very beatable. And did I mention that Tampa seems to be running out of gas.

Look, I'll be thrilled if we win a round and get some great playoff experience but this team has a chance to surprise.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:59 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 800
Am I the only one who obviously want the Rangers to win the Cup this season, and since that's probably not going to happen, I wouldn't mind getting knocked out since it will get the younger players more playoff experience?

03-23-2011, 01:16 AM
mrhockey193195

The only team in the East that genuinely scares me is Philly. I feel like we can give any other team a run for their money.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:31 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
The only team in the East that genuinely scares me is Philly. I feel like we can give any other team a run for their money.
Philly is supremely talented. However, they're weak in goal--as usual. I think they're just as likely to fall apart as they are to win the Cup.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Captain Monglobster

Nobody know what is going to happen in the playoffs as we saw last year. The Rangers are getting hot at the right time for the first time in a long time. With what this team has shown with all of their comebacks and dealing with injuries, we know this team believes in each other and has the sand to go with any team in the east.

Honestly, who wants to play this team in the first round? Win or lose it will be a very taxing series.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote