HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want in the first round of the playoffs?

Old
03-20-2011, 07:12 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It does matter, though. Avoiding tougher matchups earlier leads to better prospects down the line... you don't want to get into a grinding series that wears you out. Even if this team plays their best, not all opponents are created equal and you want to avoid the ones that will take the most out of you.
While I agree with you, there is something to be said about overcoming adversity. Several teams in playoff history have swept a series, only to fall to an opponent who went the full 7 previously. I'm not offering this as the rule, but the minimum is not always the best course.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Jester

We would have won the Cup prior to the lockout if we hadn't been so banged up in the ECF... which those Toronto teams were notorious for doing. Less games means less wear and tear.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
We would have won the Cup prior to the lockout if we hadn't been so banged up in the ECF... which those Toronto teams were notorious for doing. Less games means less wear and tear.
I'm not disagreeing with you, Jester. I'm merely pointing out that fewer games isn't necessarily the only road to success. Of course I see the value in avoiding wear and tear.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
So on, and so forth... this team is beatable, I think you're grossly overconfident here in dismissing potential opponents and the various risks they pose... even in the early rounds. As of right now, a quite likely 2nd round opponent would be TB, who has caused all kinds of problems for us.
Agree there, hopefully its been a product of that and having to play against teams that are scratching and clawing for their playoff lives for the past several weeks on, not that losing in the manner they have been is an excuse, but to some degree they have more to play for. Hopefully these last 11 games they can clamp down some as well and go into April playing their best.

Quote:
It does matter, though. Avoiding tougher matchups earlier leads to better prospects down the line... you don't want to get into a grinding series that wears you out. Even if this team plays their best, not all opponents are created equal and you want to avoid the ones that will take the most out of you.
Exactly, even with the recent slide they've been on, they are still in a good spot to win the division for once. It will be nice to not have to play the top 3-4 teams back to back to back to even think about playing in the Cup round like it has been for the past several years. Just looking at the teams Pitt has had to play compared to the Flyers over the past 3 seasons makes winning the division and if possible the conference extremely important and one could argue a good barometer for each teams' success over the long haul come playoff time.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
Agree there, hopefully its been a product of that and having to play against teams that are scratching and clawing for their playoff lives for the past several weeks on, not that losing in the manner they have been is an excuse, but to some degree they have more to play for. Hopefully these last 11 games they can clamp down some as well and go into April playing their best..
Unfortunately... or fortunately, depending on how you look at it... when you are leading the pack for the last half season, you have EVERYBODY coming after the target painted on your back. Every opponent is getting up for you and playing their best against you... no sneaking up on anyone, and YOU are the measuring stick as well, as the team others want to pass.

That said, the Flyers are still the hunted rather than the hunter... and Washinton, Pittsburgh et al are setting their sights on them yet. The only difference is that the opponents are now better for the Flyers and harder to beat, AND the Flyers now have a greater stake in the game as they want to gain a better foothold -- have I used enough cliches yet? haha -- I guess what I'm getting at is that I agree that the time for excuses are over... the Flyers should be as desperate as their opponents now, the opponents that are just about already in the Playoffs. If we don't see the Flyers lifting the level of heir play now, I don't expect them to be able to flip the switch come the Postseason (okay, that was one more cliche for good measure )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
Exactly, even with the recent slide they've been on, they are still in a good spot to win the division for once. It will be nice to not have to play the top 3-4 teams back to back to back to even think about playing in the Cup round like it has been for the past several years. Just looking at the teams Pitt has had to play compared to the Flyers over the past 3 seasons makes winning the division and if possible the conference extremely important and one could argue a good barometer for each teams' success over the long haul come playoff time.
I agree 100% with this... Very well stated.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 09:56 PM
PhillyCurt12

pens. hell, i hope crosby comes back and malkin too.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Gert B Frobe

I don't think NJ has a legit chance of making the playoffs but I hope they do. They were a huge fraud as a 2 seed last year and wasn't worried at all about that matchup. I know they're playing much better lately under their genius coach of the year but it's only because they're playing like these are the playoffs already. If they make it in they will face teams that are just as desparate as they are - but nowhere near as worn out. So I'll take the Sabres who just aren't all that good. Miller is great and they are playing well lately but besides him they're just weak all around.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:17 PM
BringBackStevens

Whatever happens happens. Theres definitely better matchups than others but I'm not overly concerned with it

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I keep telling my self NJ won't make the playoffs, but they are getting so close its hard to count them out. I know it is unlikely but if they make it, just because of how hot they are and how good Brodeur can be, they worry me a little. I still think we beat them, but it would not be a breeze like it was last year.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:33 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
To me it's not the team we play, it is they way we play, we are by far the deepest team in East, so for me it is we beat ourselves.
This!

IF we don't play a full 60 mins, ALL teams will be tough to beat on any given night.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:33 PM
ShotScore*

Assuming we get the top seed the teams that are contending for the eight seed don't bother me. It's the later rounds I'm worried about.

I don't want to see Tampa Bay or Boston.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:46 PM
BringBackStevens

Honestly, if NJ made it in that would be a nightmare match up. I don't care how slanted our results have been against them over the past few years... playing a team that has won ~80% of their games for about half of a season, then you are in trouble.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 10:54 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Honestly, if NJ made it in that would be a nightmare match up. I don't care how slanted our results have been against them over the past few years... playing a team that has won ~80% of their games for about half of a season, then you are in trouble.
Yeah I don't think NJ is making it but they would be a nightmare matchup in the first round no doubt.

I don't even want to think about it.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:33 AM
rban*

It goes without saying that if Philly plays the way they've played since Jan 1st, they will lose to whichever team they face.

Equally, it goes without saying that we all hope and pray that their play the last 2 months has been a function of Flyers being in a big first place lead playing against desperate teams scratching and clawing for a PO spot or for a more favorable seeding.

Tomorrow's game versus Caps is a big test. Caps are obviously the closest candidates to overtake Flyers for 1st place, a victory over them would be huge as it would be adding 4 points to the gap.

Looking further into later PO rounds, hope and pray that someone knocks off Bruins.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Tomorrow's game versus Caps is a big test. Caps are obviously the closest candidates to overtake Flyers for 1st place, a victory over them would be huge as it would be adding 4 points to the gap.
This is a big week. Got two points in Dallas with one of their best overall efforts in weeks, and a nice effort by Bob to boot.

They need to beat Washington and Pittsburgh to take a strangehold on the conference.

Win vs. Caps, and make use of the two games in hand too, and the Caps shouldn't be able to catch them. They've had a big winning streak, it's unlikely they can go 9-0 again.

Win vs. Pens. If Pitt loses tonight vs. Detroit, which is a possibility, then a win over them on Thurs. would pretty well seal up the division, with an 8 point lead and two games in hand.

I've cut them some slack for the recent spell of mediocrity, if they are really contenders, we need to see a couple strong games this week. Even if they don't win, they need to compete.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Cartsiephan*

Who cares, just get home ice. That should be the only focus.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:03 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Any chance we can get a bye for the first round?

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Flyers845

I'd love to see them play the rangers. Would be a great series.

Flyers845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers845 View Post
I'd love to see them play the rangers. Would be a great series.
I don't really want a great series in the first round. I want a 4-1 stomping.

Old
03-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I don't really want a great series in the first round. I want a 4-1 stomping.
I see a typo, it seems you wrote 4-1 instead of 4-0.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Don't be greedy.

Old
03-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Don't be greedy.
I just want the Pronger and the Timonen to be rested.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:52 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
4-0 is too much like a shutout, which isn't happening.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:02 PM
tuckrr

CAROLINA!!!!

lavvy vs canes = sweep for flyers

trust me, these guys will jump at the opportunity to wreck lavvys old team and prove they are "his" team.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I just want the Pronger and the Timonen to be rested.
All this "rested" stuff is a load of crap. Pronger has been out 3-4 weeks, so if he is not rested when gets back there are bigger problems afoot. These guys are professional athletes, if they can't handle an extra couple games, again, there are bigger problems afoot. Obviously, yes sweeping your way through is better, but it should not be a concern that if the Flyers have a 7 game series in the first round they are screwed in the second and third round because they are tired. If that is the case they don't deserve to win the Cup in the first place because playing an extra three games took that much out of them that they cannot win another series.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote