HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Trevor Timmins appreciation thread

Old
03-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Kac3e

vCash: 500
Trevor Timmins appreciation thread

It's time for all the haters of Timmins to recognize that is one of the best in the business. I know some of you will say that he doesn't have a good record with 1st round picks (fisher) but Price and Subban are one step away to superstar in the league. With Halak, Pacioretty, S.Kostitsyn, Grabovsky, G.Latendresse I'm so glad that Gauthier kept him around and didn't listen to the french media to fire him.

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze: 03-22-2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Fixed typos...
Kac3e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:40 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kac3e View Post
It time 4 all the haters of timmins to recognized that is one of the best in the business. I know some of u will say that he dosent have good record w 1st round pick(fisher ) but w Price and Subban are one step away to superstar in the league. W the Halak,paciorety,S.Kostityn,Grabosky,G.La tendress I'm so glad that Gauthier keep him around and don't listen to the french media to fire him.
D'Agostini and McDonagh are good as well.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:35 AM
neofury*

I wonder if any other scout has scouted more actual NHL regulars in the last 10 or so years than Timmins?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Habs

you could run through most teams and find a large % of players there are from the head scout. However, Timmins still has a very poor first round success rate.

Hard to findy anyone better than the boys in Carolina, Detroit and San Jose.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:58 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
you could run through most teams and find a large % of players there are from the head scout. However, Timmins still has a very poor first round success rate.

I wish he had picked Coyle at last draft. That guy is going to be a good one

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:10 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kac3e View Post
It time 4 all the haters of timmins to recognized that is one of the best in the business. I know some of u will say that he dosent have good record w 1st round pick(fisher ) but w Price and Subban are one step away to superstar in the league. W the Halak,paciorety,S.Kostityn,Grabosky,G.La tendress I'm so glad that Gauthier keep him around and don't listen to the french media to fire him.
I apologize for doubting Timmins. I was dead wrong.

He drafted quantity and quality. For a long time I didn't feel like the quality was there but it is.

Good job.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Kostitsyn
Lapierre
O'Byrne
Halak

Chipchura
Grabovski
Streit

Price
Latendresse
D'Agostini
Kostitsyn

Maxwell
Carle
White
Valentenko

McDonagh
Pacioretty
Subban
Weber

Kristo
Quailer

Leblanc
Nattinen
Bennett
Avtsin
Dumont

Tinordi

Pretty good I'd say.

#57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:28 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Kostitsyn
Lapierre
O'Byrne
Halak

Chipchura
Grabovski
Streit
Again, I have to say this despite the fact I know many disagree with me on this but...

Timmins is in charge of amateur scouting, not pro scouting. And Streit was a guy that was scouted not by Timmins, but by Gauthier at the worlds. They didn't get him in the last round because they only thought he was worth a 9th, they got him there because they knew no other team would draft him when you could also sign him for free. It was a very smart move and all that but I remember distinctly hearing stuff about Gauthier being responsible for that pick.

Just the same Halak was a Melancon find. But I'm not 100% sure on that one. Probably why they only used their last pick on him if true though.

Also, in 2003, I'm not sure how much of a say he had over the picks. I know for a fact that Lapierre and Urquhart were A.Savard picks. A.Savard was scouting the montreal rocket non stop.

Still, like I said, Timmins deserve a lot of praise for his other more important selections (Price, Subban and Pacioretty), not to mention other guys like S.Kost, Weber, Latendresse, etc.

Also thank you for posting the list.

Old
03-21-2011, 11:47 AM
MarkyMarkov

The only real blemish on his resume is picking Kostitsyn in 2003. But if I remember correctly, Andre Savard pushed for that pick while Timmins was pushing for Ryan Getzlaf. Don't know if that is just a rumor, can anyone confirm? But just imagine how set we would be down the middle if we had made that pick, a one-two punch of Plekanec and Getzlaf. Plus we would not have Gomez' albatross contract and would not have had to trade a good prospect for him. Wish he would have been in charge sooner. Also, some picks like Pacioretty over Perron which were heavily criticized are now turning in his favor. Let alone Subban at 43rd when he's definately in the top 5 of the 2007 draft at this point.

MarkyMarkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:49 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post

Tinordi

Pretty good I'd say.
Gallagher

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:31 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkov View Post
The only real blemish on his resume is picking Kostitsyn in 2003. But if I remember correctly, Andre Savard pushed for that pick while Timmins was pushing for Ryan Getzlaf. Don't know if that is just a rumor, can anyone confirm? But just imagine how set we would be down the middle if we had made that pick, a one-two punch of Plekanec and Getzlaf. Plus we would not have Gomez' albatross contract and would not have had to trade a good prospect for him. Wish he would have been in charge sooner. Also, some picks like Pacioretty over Perron which were heavily criticized are now turning in his favor. Let alone Subban at 43rd when he's definately in the top 5 of the 2007 draft at this point.
Fischer over Giroux, Chipchura over Green, etc...

Old
03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
That's a fine criticism to level at a head scout if he hasn't been able to draft anyone of note. Then you start digging up all those past failures and you wonder how he could not get even one right.

In this case, Timmins has hit 3 homeruns in Price, Pacioretty and Subban. That's what Timmins should be judged on. And over a period of 8 years, drafting 3 solid core players and a plethora of guys who eventually played in the NHL has got to mean a high grade for Timmins.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I apologize for doubting Timmins. I was dead wrong.

He drafted quantity and quality. For a long time I didn't feel like the quality was there but it is.

Good job.
Same here, I was a critic but his picks have been paying dividends, as well as performing with other teams.

Had McDonagh not been traded, he would fit right in with the Habs this year and we'd have a top pairing set for the next decade.

I'll also add that if he went with no.2-3 on his list in 03 (Carter, Getzlaf), his picks would've made the Habs a perennial contender. Oh well. I think with all the experience he's accumulated, he's just getting better and it would be worth it to keep him.

Good job.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:59 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I wonder if any other scout has scouted more actual NHL regulars in the last 10 or so years than Timmins?
An article in The Hockey News' last Future Watch has the answer to your question: nope. I can't remember the timeframe they used (maybe 10 years, not all of which were Timmins' picks but still) but the Canadiens had drafted and developped the most NHLers in the league in that period.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post

Carolina is one of the bottom teams in terms of players drafted by them and in the NHL.

It changes every year, but Montréal is top 3 in players drafted who play in the NHL.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:25 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Trevor Timmins should remain head scout, but I think that they should employ someone else to handle the first round.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:27 PM
stubbadub

The Getzlaf thing gets me every time, and so does the Fischer pick. The Getzlaf I can understand but they knew Fischer was lazy at times, and pretty much the only thing exceptional about him was his skating. The Price pick was a given because Ottawa would've taken him as they planned. Now the next majors in the air are Leblanc (if he was such a great player and everyone knew he was going to be picked by us, why wasn't he picked sooner to screw us over? How late would he have gone if we didn't pick him so early?) and Tinordi. I see Kristo being another McDonagh trading piece to get us something next year but I liked watching him play the two times I got a chance this year.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:47 PM

The David Fischer pick could have gone either way. I liked that pick up until we decided not to sign him. A 6'4 defender that can skate as well as he does with soft hands doesn't grow on trees. Timmins probably thought he could become a force but things didn't go his way in college.

Maybe he would be a major prospect right now had he gone the CHL route. No one will ever know.

#57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:02 PM
TheBuriedHab

Trevor is the man. 2007 draft would have been amazing had management not pulled a herp derp and trade Mcdonagh for Gomez.

Every scout has some blemishes. But hes drafted players that are on this roster and will be here for a while. And hes also drafted players that have been traded for other pieces. I'm very happy with Trevor at the helm, and i'm even more excited at some of the additions on the scouting team this year. Ryan Jankowski from the Islanders came over this year. He is a good one and the whole Islanders board were pissed that he left. Excited for this draft.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:45 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 515
Since we have been so good at drafting in the 2rd and after rounds and we aren't that good in the 1st round why not just trade our 1st for couple of 2rds and 3rds

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:56 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
I never could understand the Chipchura pick. He just couldnt skate(even before his injury). Green was like a general managing the field.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:50 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
That's a fine criticism to level at a head scout if he hasn't been able to draft anyone of note. Then you start digging up all those past failures and you wonder how he could not get even one right.

In this case, Timmins has hit 3 homeruns in Price, Pacioretty and Subban. That's what Timmins should be judged on. And over a period of 8 years, drafting 3 solid core players and a plethora of guys who eventually played in the NHL has got to mean a high grade for Timmins.
That is not what we were talking about in thread. We were on his first round picks and misses.

Old
03-22-2011, 01:59 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
for Wash : Pokulok over Rask, Downie, Hanzal, Oshie

for Philly : Sbisa over Ennis, Eberle, Carlson

guess it works for about every team, including those two...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:00 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
That is not what we were talking about in thread. We were on his first round picks and misses.
Pacc and Price happen to be first rounders you know...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 03:33 AM
Habitant le colon

Was Gauthier And Timmins And Jacques Martin in Senators administration by the past ? then you have to add Zdeno Chara then :p ... lol but not sure of who pick up between Gauthier or Timmins Or another scout of that time ...

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote