Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Backlund

Old
03-19-2011, 12:16 PM
wildburns*

vCash: 500
Backlund

just curious to get peoples opinions on how he has been?

why does he usually get stuck on the 4th line and what does everyone view his potential to be?

wildburns* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 12:35 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Near the beginning of the season he did have stints on the 1st/2nd line, but the team's track record was abysmal and though he always had chances, couldn't produce regularly. I think he's on the 4th line because rookies have to adjust to playing 82 games at the highest level.

Now that BMo is injured he's got time on the top line and has been really good.

Always was one of our best defensive forwards and I see him to be a number 2, pushing 1b center.

King In The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
I think in 2 years we will know alot better just exactly what kind of player Backlund is going to be. I'll say this, he at the very least will be a very good #2 centre. If he can play consistent hockey in all aspects of the game, with his skill he could become a #1 centre in the NHL. He needs to get a little stronger physically and learn how to bring a A+ effort every night. If learns how to do that, he could be a #1. He is lucky that he has someone like an Iginla to mentor him as to what it takes to be a star in the NHL. I really like Backlund, I think he will have a long career in the NHL and I think the Flames are lucky to have him.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 02:18 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

Since Moss and Morrison got injured he has really stepped it up. The guy has been showing flashes of brilliance and top end skill. If he can find the consistency he could be a great center in this league.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 02:37 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Needs to bring it every night but when he's on like he has been in the past few games he's a really good player. I think he's got 4 points in his last 5, easily his best stretch as an NHL player so that's a good sign.

I think down the road he could succeed in a checking role like he has most of this season, but he could be a really good top-6 forward as well. It's really up to him.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 06:24 PM
MrHelyar

the last 3-4 games I've been quite impressed with him. That Canuck game, he was definitely the best flames out. He needs to step it up offensively but he's shown a lot of good things

MrHelyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
I am hoping that he will end up as a #1 center but I can see him as a great #2 center for us a couple years down the road. I haven't watched too much of the flames games lately but from what I have seen he has been doing great and hopefully he can continue that.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHelyar View Post
the last 3-4 games I've been quite impressed with him. That Canuck game, he was definitely the best flames out. He needs to step it up offensively but he's shown a lot of good things
Agreed. All it takes for him to prove that he's capable as a #1 Center is offensive production. He's been great in his own end for a while and has been showing that he can be even better. All that's left is to put up numbers to show for his efforts in all three zones of the ice.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Triple Deke

So far I've been satisfied with his play. He's been pretty effective when he has space to move. Needs to get stronger to help his board play and puck battles.

Triple Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 12:36 AM
JorgeRocks!

Like him defensively a lot. Always is back and in position. Could stand to battle a little more, but that'll come. Hard quick shot though, has all the offensive tools. I'm fine with him being our number 1 center next year. Ya 4 points in his last 5 is a good pace. Really if given the chance to play on the top line with Iginla and prob Tanguay or maybe GlenX, can't see why he can't hit 60+ points next year

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 04:47 AM
Deen

vCash: 175
I think that he may hit 40-50 points once or twice, but not much beyond that.

Deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
I think that he may hit 40-50 points once or twice, but not much beyond that.
Really? I think you're being a little ridiculous. He already has 20 points in 64 games this year playing with the 4th line. In the last 5 games he has played, he has 4 points. Based solely on that, and no further progression in his development, I'd wager he hits at least 60 playing with better players (ie not grinders). I see the potential for PPG or better from Backlund if he can make everything work, put on some muscle and play better down low.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstanleychaser View Post
I see the potential for PPG or better from Backlund if he can make everything work, put on some muscle and play better down low.
PPG?

Only superstars do that these days...even Iginla is having problem with PPG.

Backlund has a potential to be a decent 2nd liner.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

No question Backlund needs to be much more consistent offensively, but really what do you expect with him playing with Jackman and Kosto most of the season. And Jackman has had a career year which should be noted. Since he was moved to the top line he has been producing consistently. He has raised his game and shown he can handle it. I think he has the "potential" to be a consistent 70 point player if he can get his game there. Whether he does it or not down the road we will have to see.

I would compare Backlund's potential to someone like Zajac with better offensive skills. He has alot of work to get to that level though.

Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 03-20-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old
03-20-2011, 07:05 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
No question Backlund needs to be much more consistent offensively, but really what do you expect with him playing with Jackman and Kosto most of the season. And Jackman has had a career year which should be noted. Since he was moved to the top line he has been producing consistently. He has raised his game and shown he can handle it. I think he has the "potential" to be a consistent 70 point player if he can get his game there. Whether he does it or not down the road we will have to see.

I would compare Backlund potential to someone like Zajac with better offensive skills. He has alot of work to get to that level though.
I agree with that. With more ice time he now is stepping up and not just "filling a void due to injuries etc". Backlund`s defensive game has surprised... that is impressive. If he can turn into a solid 2 way centre, maybe a poor mans Zetterberg in a few years. I am not saying he is a 1st line centre... he has a lot of developing to do including playing with more consistency

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:25 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Deke View Post
So far I've been satisfied with his play. He's been pretty effective when he has space to move. Needs to get stronger to help his board play and puck battles.
This is the most effective and concise way to summarize backlund in so few words. Hats off.

If he bulks up a bit and imposes his will against opposition defenders he has the chance of being top six material. If not he'll be what he is now, a great 3rd line forward because of his excellent defensive play, who can chip in form time to time.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
This is the most effective and concise way to summarize backlund in so few words. Hats off.

If he bulks up a bit and imposes his will against opposition defenders he has the chance of being top six material. If not he'll be what he is now, a great 3rd line forward because of his excellent defensive play, who can chip in form time to time.
With Backlund's age he will likely put on 15lbs over the next 2 seasons. I agree he needs to get a little stronger and if he can do that he should be able to compete against the other teams top players and more importantly their top defenceman.