HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Cartsie Revisted

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Cartsie Revisted

Since I missed out on the fun over the weekend.......let's just say I like how he is playing. He is being a better player this year at getting to the high traffic areas and getting some of the garbage goals.

Let's just hope that this will translate into a post-season success, regular season is for stats, post-season is for putting your name on the Cup.

And I think what you saw last night is going to be the starting roster in the post-season, even Gustaffson is making a bid to be included:

HBL
JvR-Richards-Versteeg
Nodl-Giroux-Carter
Carcillo-Betts-Powe

This is where it gets interesting, Meszaros and Carle are playing really well together, does Laviolette try and tweek some things?

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
O'Donnell-Meszaros

or if Gustaffson steps up does Laviollette look at a couple more mobile d-men on the back? (Highly unlikely, but it gives some more defensive mobility out of the back)

Meszaros-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Pronger-Gustaffson

and Bobrovsky is going to the be the goalie.

Old
03-21-2011, 09:39 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
This is where it gets interesting, Meszaros and Carle are playing really well together, does Laviolette try and tweek some things?

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
O'Donnell-Meszaros

or if Gustaffson steps up does Laviollette look at a couple more mobile d-men on the back? (Highly unlikely, but it gives some more defensive mobility out of the back)
First of all, Gustafsson was sent down to ADK. I would've liked to see him more in the NHL. The top5 in D is pretty much locked and O'D, Boynton and Gust are all competing for the 6th slot.

O'D and Boynton are same sort of players but O'Donnell is better with the puck, though he seem to be running out of gas while Boynton should be rather fresh due to sitting in the pressbox for majority of the season.

Gustafsson is alot faster than those two and better with the puck, but he's rookie and bound to make some rookie mistakes in the games, while O'D and Boynton are both Cup-winner veterans.

If I were Laviolette, I'd have given Gustafsson some more games to play and let O'D rest. This would have helped Gust to adjust to NHL game and let O'D refill his energy-tank. Then upon playoff-time have O'D as 6th, Gust as 7th and Boynton as 8th D-man.

Though, now it seems Laviolette has chosen to play O'D now and use him as the 6th guy while Boynton takes the 7th spot in his papers dropping Gustafsson as 8th, only to be played in case of two major injuries to the D.

Oh right, this thread was mainly about Carter... yeah that Nodl-Carter-Giroux line looks pretty nice to me. If that doesn't work... try either Versteeg or JvR with JC and G.

Old
03-21-2011, 09:40 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I'd say Gust will be back up for a few more games towards the end of the season

Old
03-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
First of all, Gustafsson was sent down to ADK. I would've liked to see him more in the NHL. The top5 in D is pretty much locked and O'D, Boynton and Gust are all competing for the 6th slot.

O'D and Boynton are same sort of players but O'Donnell is better with the puck, though he seem to be running out of gas while Boynton should be rather fresh due to sitting in the pressbox for majority of the season.

Gustafsson is alot faster than those two and better with the puck, but he's rookie and bound to make some rookie mistakes in the games, while O'D and Boynton are both Cup-winner veterans.

If I were Laviolette, I'd have given Gustafsson some more games to play and let O'D rest. This would have helped Gust to adjust to NHL game and let O'D refill his energy-tank. Then upon playoff-time have O'D as 6th, Gust as 7th and Boynton as 8th D-man.

Though, now it seems Laviolette has chosen to play O'D now and use him as the 6th guy while Boynton takes the 7th spot in his papers dropping Gustafsson as 8th, only to be played in case of two major injuries to the D.

No doubt it is going to be O'Donnell in the playoffs, this is the guy Pronger made sure Homer got to reinforce the defense for the playoffs, he is not going to sit. Those comments were more about how good Gustaffson looked during his short stint as a young guy in the lineup.

And if it comes down to Boynton or Gustaffson, I would much rather see Gustaffson, Boynton has been brutal.

Quote:
Oh right, this thread was mainly about Carter... yeah that Nodl-Carter-Giroux line looks pretty nice to me. If that doesn't work... try either Versteeg or JvR with JC and G.

Yup, but at least guys can start looking at Laviolette knowing he is going to commit to some lines. Tired of hearing the complaining about how it is the coaches fault for switching up the lines.

Prefer Nodl over the other two, rather have a guy who is going to be willing to dig and just adapt to his role over a skill type player with Carter and Giroux.

Old
03-21-2011, 10:15 AM
HoverCarle*

yeah Nodl works well with Carter and Roo because he won't be expected to score as much. JVR-Richards-Versteeg is good, and HBL is proven

Old
03-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
yeah Nodl works well with Carter and Roo because he won't be expected to score as much. JVR-Richards-Versteeg is good, and HBL is proven
I also think that once the playoffs begin the JvR-Richards-Versteeg line will show more versatility, which allows Cartsie and Roo the ability to just go out and be a scoring line. Giroux and Carter are going to have to step up in the playoffs, it is vital that they produce.

Old
03-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Giroux loves getting hot in the playoffs, hopefully he continues that trend.

Old
03-21-2011, 12:32 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Giroux loves getting hot in the playoffs, hopefully he continues that trend.
When Giroux was in junior he played for Gatineau which is just across the river from Orleans where I live. What he did that year leading them to the Memorial Cup was......unbelievable. The kid is built for postseason success. I think he will develop into one of the league known clutch performers, we can see it at the pro level already.

Should be fun to watch for the next 10-15 years

Old
03-21-2011, 12:51 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
When Giroux was in junior he played for Gatineau which is just across the river from Orleans where I live. What he did that year leading them to the Memorial Cup was......unbelievable. The kid is built for postseason success. I think he will develop into one of the league known clutch performers, we can see it at the pro level already.

Should be fun to watch for the next 10-15 years
Oh, no... Not in this thread as well. Might just lock it already.

Old
03-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I'm hoping nobody else notices.

Old
03-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Jester homing missile in 3..........2..........1.........

Old
03-21-2011, 01:50 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm hoping nobody else notices.
Too late...here comes the semantics debate ...I learned after arguing about what constitutes a perennial goal scorer..and of course it tied to Carter...

Old
03-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Too late...here comes the semantics debate ...I learned after arguing about what constitutes a perennial goal scorer..and of course it tied to Carter...
I think the issue was more about a perennial 40 goal scorer. His numbers show he will pretty much fall in the range where he is currently, at 35 goals. I could care less if he scores 30 or 40 goals at this point so long as he shows up in the playoffs. The best thing for him could be being able to be paired with Giroux who has an extra gear in the playoffs.

Old
03-21-2011, 02:04 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Oh, no... Not in this thread as well. Might just lock it already.

HMMM

Old
03-21-2011, 02:15 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I think the issue was more about a perennial 40 goal scorer. His numbers show he will pretty much fall in the range where he is currently, at 35 goals. I could care less if he scores 30 or 40 goals at this point so long as he shows up in the playoffs. The best thing for him could be being able to be paired with Giroux who has an extra gear in the playoffs.
Yes this is true...it was about him being a perennial 40 goal scorer which looks like this year he may fall short again after posting one season thus far of 40 goals. Obviously, there were arguments made that he was on a 40 goal clip if he hadn't gotten injured etc so by default it was suggested I suppose that he actually is a perennial 40 goal scorer just not in a technical sense. He is a A single season 40 goal scorer though. I agree he seems to be more of a perennial 30 goal scorer which is very desirable to any team but yes again hopefully he has a breakout year in the playoffs....

Potato ...Potatoe...

Old
03-21-2011, 02:49 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Yes this is true...it was about him being a perennial 40 goal scorer which looks like this year he may fall short again after posting one season thus far of 40 goals. Obviously, there were arguments made that he was on a 40 goal clip if he hadn't gotten injured etc so by default it was suggested I suppose that he actually is a perennial 40 goal scorer just not in a technical sense. He is a A single season 40 goal scorer though. I agree he seems to be more of a perennial 30 goal scorer which is very desirable to any team but yes again hopefully he has a breakout year in the playoffs....

Potato ...Potatoe...
or you could call him a ~35 goal scorer

Old
03-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
And a 70pt guy.

Old
03-21-2011, 02:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Probably best we just confine it to him being a bonifide goal scorer....otherwise the debate would go on forever. Now just need him to carry it over to the playoffs from here on in as long as he remains healthy.

oh wait what does bonifide mean to everybody now! LOL!

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 03-21-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old
03-21-2011, 03:01 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
And a 70pt guy.
Giroux is a potential 100 pt guy...

Old
03-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Lets just call Carter a player. For anything can be argued about him

just realised it's also a pun too

Old
03-21-2011, 03:14 PM
HoverCarle*

but he doesn't play, he is lazy and coasts

Old
03-21-2011, 03:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Lets just call Carter a player. For anything can be argued about him

just realised it's also a pun too
I personally think he's a pimp bot...

Old
03-21-2011, 03:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Honestly, the game in Dallas, I felt that Nodl had more of an impact than Versteeg.

Old
03-21-2011, 03:46 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Honestly, the game in Dallas, I felt that Nodl had more of an impact than Versteeg.
Yeah Versteeg has been kind of a disappointment ...like to see more from him and I don't mean MORE TURNOVERS or just brain dead play at times...

Old
03-21-2011, 03:47 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Yeah Versteeg has been kind of a disappointment ...like to see more from him and I don't mean MORE TURNOVERS or just brain dead play at times...
I think it's just more of his invisibility. He just not that noticeable. Nodl was all over the place really trying to do something. Usually out-skating the opposition.

Closed Thread