HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Games Left: What do we need to win?

Old
03-21-2011, 03:25 PM
predwings

vCash: 500
Games Left: What do we need to win?

Overall: I think we're going to have to get at least 5-6 wins to make it into the playoffs. I also think of the 5-6 wins two of them have to be the games against the Stars and Ducks. Try to break down the 9 last games. Though I do realize everything is a "Must Win" I'm trying to be realistic on if we will win or not in my predictions. This is also how I think we'll make it into the playoffs.

Predators 7th 86pts

March 22nd, Edmonton @ Predators:

My thoughts on this game is it's a home game, we're riding a streak, this is more of a trap game than any of the final games I see. I think this is a much needed win, though I do see the possibility of us coming out flat here. Though I am predicting a win here, though we might struggle.

+2pts = 88pts

March 24th, Ducks @ Predators:

MUST WIN. If we do not win this game and the Stars game, we will be in trouble of making it into the playoffs. This is the best position for us to make-up ground on the Ducks. Notoriously we're not solid against this team, and I see our streak falling here.

+0 points = 88pts

March 26th, Stars @ Predators:

MUST WIN. Pretty much the same as the last game. This another great chance to make ground while not letting the teams behind/in front of us gain anything. This will help us immensely.

+2 points = 90 pts

March 29th, Canucks @ Predators:

I think that the Canucks will be out to redeem themselves here, they've had trouble with us this year. I think they'll come with a vengeance and hand us a loss.

+0 points = 90 pts

March 31st, Predators @ Avalanche:

I think this is where people will start wondering what is going on if we lose and will lose their hope for the playoffs. But I think the Predators will win their way into the playoffs during the last three games.

+0 pts = 90 pts

April 2nd, Red Wings @ Predators:

Don't see this as a win, another game where the Preds will play up to their competition though, but just lacking offensive firepower we won't be able to pull this out. I'm predicting an OT loss.

+1 pts = 91 pts

April 5th, Thrashers @ Predators:

I feel the vets will take everyone aside and will inspire them with a speech and instill in them the drive to put a few wins together to salvage the playoff chances. I don't see us forgetting that we need points at this point in time. We'll start riding a win streak into the playoffs from here, in my opinion.

+2 pts = 93 pts

April 8th, Blue Jackets @ Predators:

A tough game, and a needed win, we'll continue our streak onto the next and into the playoffs from here. This is probably where we all get to breathe a collective sigh of relief and might be where we clinch a spot, though it could be the Blues game, which would give us all heart problems.

+2 pts = 95 pts

April 9th, Predators @ Blues:

This could likely be the game to determine if we make it in or not, depending on how everything else turns out. This is going to be a tight race. St Louis would love nothing more than to be the reason we didn't make it. However, I think the Predators will be up for the challenge and will dig deep.

+2 pts = 97 pts

Predators 7th place @ 97 pts.

I see us vs Detroit, but I don't see us winning a series. So I'm actually hoping we squeak in and get a chance to play Vancouver.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:43 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I don't think we can afford to take any game for granted. The Ducks don't look like they're slowing down.

The plan needs to be, "win them all."

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:44 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I just want this team to get to 7 or 8th. I like the team's chances with Detroit or Vancouver

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:49 PM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I just want this team to get to 7 or 8th. I like the team's chances with Detroit or Vancouver
I'm with you there, I for sure don't want to end in 6th and play the Sharks...we'd get killed. I actually think we stand a better chance against VAN instead of DET. I just think Detroit is used to us in a playoff situation, Vancouver would be a refreshing difference and a good chance to win.

Old
03-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I don't think we can afford to take any game for granted. The Ducks don't look like they're slowing down.

The plan needs to be, "win them all."
I know that's what everyone wants from a team, but it's very exhausting and could backfire if they make it into the postseason. Just take it game by game and only concentrate on the next 60min. Short-term memory is what it's going to take to continue to battle for a spot. Conference games are the most important obviously. Give Rinne a rest for the Thrasher game.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:53 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

The disadvantage in Vancouver is the travel, mind you...especially for a team as far east as we are.

Personally, I'd like to get up to 5th and play PHX...but...that's just me

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:39 PM
token grinder

Quote:
this is just plain stupid. any team that doesn't want to finish as high as it can should stop playing. There has to be a pride factor somewhere that says it doesn't matter who the hell we play, we can win. Truth is, we can beat any team in the west over a 7 game series. Just like any team can wax us in a seven game series.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:42 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
this is just plain stupid. any team that doesn't want to finish as high as it can should stop playing. There has to be a pride factor somewhere that says it doesn't matter who the hell we play, we can win. Truth is, we can beat any team in the west over a 7 game series. Just like any team can wax us in a seven game series.
What i posted is what *I* want not what the *TEAM* wants.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:56 PM
token grinder

Quote:
What i posted is what *I* want not what the *TEAM* wants.
well if the shoe fits...

Old
03-21-2011, 05:28 PM
predwings

Quote:
well if the shoe fits...
I think you have to look at a more logical perspective as a fan. Especially when predicting or else you just turn out to be one of those idiots who says there team will never lose. These are also the people who take things the hardest when their team does lose. Understandably we should have pride, but we can't physically do anything to make our team win games, it's up to them to have that physical pride. So your point is moot, Token. As much "fun" as it would've been to cite that we'd win every single game all the way to the Stanley Cup, it's not practical nor is it an intelligent assessment at this time. Possibility? Yes. Probability? No.

Old
03-21-2011, 05:33 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Personally, I'd like to get up to 5th and play PHX...but...that's just me
How about getting to fourth and still playing Phoenix?

If we finish a really strong 7 and 2 they'd have to do better than 5 and 3 assuming 2 point games. So it's not TOO ridiculous a dream. Chicago and LA would need to go 6-3-1 (13 points over their final ten games) or worse as well. We'd finish with 100 and they'd have 99 ...

Heck yeah! DO IT!

Realistically, I think we need 11 points in our nine games to be fairly sure. Six wins in nine or 12 points, I think is a lock... 5-3-1, or 11 points will be quite good as well (97 points total) and if they can do that, I'm going to be proud of the team this season no matter where they finish.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 03-21-2011 at 05:43 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Gnashdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
I think you have to look at a more logical perspective as a fan. Especially when predicting or else you just turn out to be one of those idiots who says there team will never lose. These are also the people who take things the hardest when their team does lose. Understandably we should have pride, but we can't physically do anything to make our team win games, it's up to them to have that physical pride. So your point is moot, Token. As much "fun" as it would've been to cite that we'd win every single game all the way to the Stanley Cup, it's not practical nor is it an intelligent assessment at this time. Possibility? Yes. Probability? No.
that makes no sense. did you even read the man's post? He was simply saying we should not be satisfied with just getting in.. We should try and win them all.. No one ever said we would but we should quit if we don't try.. we can beat any team in the west in a seven game series... If you think otherwise, then maybe you should think logically and cheer for another team..

Gnashdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Why does every keep saying "we" need to win? No one here is actually on the team.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:47 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Why does every keep saying "we" need to win? No one here is actually on the team.
But we live or die based on their results. So that counts for something.

Detroit, St. Louis, Vancouver, etc. are the hated "they". Not our boys!

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I just had a look at Anaheim's schedule. It doesn't look too pretty. We definitely have an advantage here.

Anaheim:
San Jose x2
Los Angeles x2
Dallas x2
Chicago
Calgary
Nashville
Colorado

Only 1 game against a non-playoff team. Where as we have 5 games against non-playoff teams. With so many games between DAL/LA/ANA someone has to drop. They can't all win.

Old
03-21-2011, 06:09 PM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashdavis View Post
that makes no sense. did you even read the man's post? He was simply saying we should not be satisfied with just getting in.. We should try and win them all.. No one ever said we would but we should quit if we don't try.. we can beat any team in the west in a seven game series... If you think otherwise, then maybe you should think logically and cheer for another team..
I do hope we will win a series. However, we've never won a series. We have a team with young starters now. We are terrible against Detroit in all our series against them. Terrible against San Jose as well. We should hope to get Vancouver which as the season states, is the more possible option for us to beat in a 7-game series. If this were March Madness where one game decided everything I'd look at it as we can beat anyone, but it's 7 games because they want the better team to win out overall. It happened last year when we lost to Chicago, despite being up 2-1. Our team can win a few games, a series? Probably not. I always hope they prove me wrong, though year after year I'm disappointed in that aspect. I think we will get into the playoffs, but I don't think we will win a series. I'm merely pointing out the best "odds" are if we play a team like Vancouver which we've done better against this season than many other teams (SJS and DET).

Old
03-21-2011, 06:15 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Token was saying wanting the team to stay in seventh or eighth was "stupid". He wasn't saying we are going to win out, or even that he thinks we will. His point actually is moot, but moot means "up for debate". Does a team look at the team they would draw at a certain position? If so, do they play towards that goal? Is it more of a hope, but they want to win every game because the rest of the teams in the post season can be damned?

I think that teams undoubtedly look at the standings and think "we've played well against them this season. it'd be nice to get them in the play offs", but I think they still have intention of winning every time they step on the ice.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:21 PM
predfan24

Quote:
I do hope we will win a series. However, we've never won a series. We have a team with young starters now. We are terrible against Detroit in all our series against them. Terrible against San Jose as well. We should hope to get Vancouver which as the season states, is the more possible option for us to beat in a 7-game series. If this were March Madness where one game decided everything I'd look at it as we can beat anyone, but it's 7 games because they want the better team to win out overall. It happened last year when we lost to Chicago, despite being up 2-1. Our team can win a few games, a series? Probably not. I always hope they prove me wrong, though year after year I'm disappointed in that aspect. I think we will get into the playoffs, but I don't think we will win a series. I'm merely pointing out the best "odds" are if we play a team like Vancouver which we've done better against this season than many other teams (SJS and DET).
1. Our multiple series with Detroit have been anything but terrible. All of them have been competitive and yes they were the better team in all of them but every single one of those series against them were one or two plays away from different outcomes.

2. Series in the past do nothing to indicate how a series would go in the future.

3. You claim we should root for Vancouver due to our good record versus them but you say we should want to avoid Detroit.

Personally I know if we finish 6-8 any of the top 3 seeds we will be underdogs against them. At this point I think I'd rather face SJ the least. They are probably the hottest team in hockey right now and always give us fits. Then I'd probably go Vancouver. Yes we have frustrated them and probably shut down the Sedins better than any team this year but over a 7 game series I would scared they would figure us out. I'd take the less of all evils and want Detroit personally. They are banged up. Howard is good but not a top tier goalie. Their top 2 D are still good but have regressed a bit with age and their forward depth isn't what it quite was.

But really discussing opponents right now is silly. I'd be thrilled if they get in period.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:40 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I'm going to speak under the assumption that we're getting in, because otherwise none of this matters anyway.

Detroit is our best *likely* match up. It's unlikely we move up far enough to draw anyone other than Detroit, Vancouver, or SJ. Detroit has a hard time outworking us. They are obviously superior offensively, but we have the better defense and goaltending. This season we've looked good against top tier teams, but we've looked the most impressive against Detroit. The travel wouldn't be too bad, so assuming we move on our team might have an advantage with rest. I'll take 'em

Besides I have a feeling, with our play off history, if we get Vancouver and lose they will win the cup. I don't think there's a team in the entire league (in the hunt) I'd rather see win the cup less than them. I think I'd even have to root for Philly over Vancouver if it comes down to it...

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:41 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
BS. I am the 7th man....along with many others.

I was saying it is stupid to want to stay down in 7 or 8 to try and get a matchup. I beleive you go out, play the game to win. every game. never said we were winning all the way through. I don't care who we draw as long as we are in.

Old
03-21-2011, 07:09 PM
predfan24

Quote:
BS. I am the 7th man....along with many others.

I was saying it is stupid to want to stay down in 7 or 8 to try and get a matchup. I beleive you go out, play the game to win. every game. never said we were winning all the way through. I don't care who we draw as long as we are in.
Agreed. The hope shouldn't be just play well enough to get in. It's a commonly accepted belief teams that go into the postseason hot and full of confidence usually perform well

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
I know that's what everyone wants from a team, but it's very exhausting and could backfire if they make it into the postseason. Just take it game by game and only concentrate on the next 60min. Short-term memory is what it's going to take to continue to battle for a spot. Conference games are the most important obviously. Give Rinne a rest for the Thrasher game.
The team hasn't put their selves into position to take games easier than others at this point. Yeah, they might wear them selves out but they need 100 percent effort from her eon out every game. We have no more back to backs or long road trips. No more excuses

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:10 PM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
His point actually is moot, but moot means "up for debate". .
I was using moot in more of this definition of it...consider: think about carefully; weigh; Meaning though he made a point, we should consider the best possibility of victory, not that it doesn't matter who we face. Some of the fans would rather see a different team for differing reasons.

Old
03-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I'd honestly rather be a #7 or #8 seed than a #6. No likey San Jose

Old
03-21-2011, 07:47 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
I was using moot in more of this definition of it...consider: think about carefully; weigh; Meaning though he made a point, we should consider the best possibility of victory, not that it doesn't matter who we face. Some of the fans would rather see a different team for differing reasons.
Actually, I believe moot means of no consequence as in the bad call against the team was moot as it didn't affect the outcome of the game. I've never heard it defined as you mention and I can't find it defined that way online.

lstcyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Out of the likely matchups I'd lean towards Detroit.

Vancouver....can we really hang with them and score in a series against Luongo?

SJ.......don't even want to go there.

Detroit....we've always played well against them in the POs and we've looked very good against them in the regular season.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote