HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Best player in the last decade?

Old
03-21-2011, 03:14 PM
All-Star

vCash: 500
Theo, Kovalev, and maybe Halak had the highest peaks (hardware, PPG season, and conference final), but overall, I'd have to go with Markov.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:15 PM
neofury*

Koivu and to put it lightly anyone who says otherwise has a very bad memory. Koivu was the heart that kept blood going through the teams veins for years. Many dark age times where we should've not even had a team he made the team bearable to watch.

Theo and Price have done their thing, so has Huet, so has Markov, but nobody brought all to the team that Koivu did.

He's by far the best player we've had in a decade and had he not been injured as often due to his size and people go after him, the stats would reflect it as well.

This decade it could be Price, it could be Plekanec, it could even very well turn out to be Subban.

We'll have to wait and see. All I can think is that I'm sure glad it isn't just one guy but many who have the chance to be "that guy".

In the Koivu era Markov only came close and even then guys like Theo did some crazy things I simply cannot forget either.

Poor Theo.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
You're pushing it a little bit too far. Theodore didn't win 2 playoffs rounds by himself. The only reason we won against Boston was because Dafoe actually sucked more than Theodore did. They were pretty much the worse goalies in the playoffs this year. The second year against Boston, Theodore was the main reason we didn't won in 5 instead of 7
Agreed. Theodore was not good at all against Boston both years and had a complete meltdown against the Hurricanes. Khabibulin also gave him a bit of schooling on playoff goaltending in 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Lidstrom is 10x better defensively than Markov. Yes, he's that good.
I'm curious, do you base this off seeing him play? Because, for one, you're going into hyperboles for no reason. I remember 05-06 when up to half way in the year, basically no star player in the league had beaten Markov at even strength and players were actually skating to the other side to face his partner. Jacques Demers, who a lot of people make fun of - but is a fair person in general, has said that when he watches Detroit (which he does more than you do - and in which he understands the game more as well) he sees Lidstrom and it reminds him of Markov. He's mentioned that Markov is elite and does same little things only Lidstrom can. Markovs vision is also out of this world for a D.

Quote:
You're "...?" is Theodore and it's not even a question at this point.
Has this board come to a point where a person can't have an opinion? Theodore had 1 absolutely unbelievable season, but was good to downright pityfull in most, he certainly did not have "many" seasons like Prices current, he had one and it was superior. His playoffs were underwhelming - and I'm understating my point.

Quote:
I only disagree with one point that's Kovalev. I prefer Markov or even Streit's season's over him.
And this is why I don't understand how you can put into question someone elses opinion. Streit? His value came from being the product of Kovalev and Markov's powerplay capabilities. He did learn a lot from those two and applied it in Long Island - much like Souray in Edmonton, but to say Streit had a superior - or even equal - season to Kovalev's that year is downright foolish. Kovalev was the undisputed leader of that team and one of the best wingers in the east. Streit was at the bottom of the depth chart for defensemen, and funnily enough of forwards as well.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Mr. Hab

Halak: we will never forget our best playoff performance since 1993. How can we? Future is bright with Price, Subban...

Koivu: we all know Koivu...

Markov: I'm a Markov fan but not of his lukewarm playoff performances. And the playoffs are everything to us HAB fans.

Kovalev: for the season where he was in top 10? or top 15? in final scoring.

Souray: for his great season of approx. 65points? (65?).

Theodore (never was a fan, never): for his Vezina+Hart season, but I knew (predicted) it would just end up being his ticket to making lots of $$$$ with no more results.

--------------------------------- ------------------------------------

I prefer going forward starting with last year's playoff performances.
I haven't been this excited about the HABS since...1993!!!!!
(Price, P-K Subban, Pleks, Gorges, White, Pacioretty, Eller...).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Forsead

Quote:
If Halak wasn't that great last year, then Price isn't that great this year. Ridiculous comments like that are, well exactly that. Ridiculous. Price's stats are virtually the same as Halak's last year. Sure you'll say Price has played more games, but I can throw back that Halak had just as many shutouts in less games as well.
Would have been cool if it was true, but it's not....

unless 5=8 in a new mathematical world.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:49 PM
The Russian General
#CanadaAndRefsTeam

1. Markov
2. Koivu
3. Kovalev

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Lidstrom is 10x better defensively than Markov. Yes, he's that good.
Holy hyperbole.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Jedrik

Some people will probably freak, but I really don't see Theo's résumé as being a whole lot more impressive than Halak's.

It's a bigger body of work, but maybe that's part of what makes it less remarkable to me.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
Agreed. Theodore was not good at all against Boston both years and had a complete meltdown against the Hurricanes. Khabibulin also gave him a bit of schooling on playoff goaltending in 2004.
Theodore was amazing in the 2002 series against Boston. He started slow in the first 2 games, but he simply stole that series, and he didn't meltdown against the Canes, the entire team consciously quit on Therrien. Even respected vets like Gilmour were visibly dogging it after the game 4 fiasco.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote