HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone lost faith in Muckler?

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 11:58 PM
PapaBear*

vCash: 500
Anyone lost faith in Muckler?

I havent been all that impressed by him since he was here, and someone else could be better suited. thoughts?

Old
08-01-2005, 12:01 AM
swiftwin
#lalala

I havent.

Hes keeping his cool in situations where knee jerking would be an easy reaction.

We already had a good team before, dont fix what aint broke.

Old
08-01-2005, 12:02 AM
The Fuhr*

Im still a huge fan of what Mucklers been doing. Support all his moves.

Old
08-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Don Draper

I, like many said this draft would be the biggest test of his abilities. We wont know for a few years yet, so if he gets everyone under contract, then he will get a thumbs up from me.

Old
08-01-2005, 12:53 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86
Im still a huge fan of what Mucklers been doing. Support all his moves.
I agree wholeheartedly. People who long for the days of 1st round trouncings and gutless hockey can keep it. Personally, I like the kind of players that Muckler has been bringing in since day 1, I like the fact that there's a declared commitment to those players who are truly critical to the team's success, and that Muckler seems to place a premium on producing a more up-tempo, entertaining style of game.

Our prospect depth remains as deep as ever, our skill level has never been higher, and our competitive advantage against the other elite teams has never been greater. We walk into this season with a revamped but absolutely top-notch offense, quite possibly the best top-down defence in the world, and a goaltender who - though a little long in the tooth - brings all of the experience from having established himself as one of the 5 best goaltenders in the history of the game. There's new blood in the coaching staff, an impressive infusion of youth at virtually every position, and we are one of the few teams who have managed to retain the vast majority of their core throughout the lockout. When your GM can say that he's brought all of that to the table, then I really don't see where Muckler has failed in terms of serving the team's best interests.

Old
08-01-2005, 01:08 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens
I agree wholeheartedly. People who long for the days of 1st round trouncings and gutless hockey can keep it. Personally, I like the kind of players that Muckler has been bringing in since day 1, I like the fact that there's a declared commitment to those players who are truly critical to the team's success, and that Muckler seems to place a premium on producing a more up-tempo, entertaining style of game.

Our prospect depth remains as deep as ever, our skill level has never been higher, and our competitive advantage against the other elite teams has never been greater. We walk into this season with a revamped but absolutely top-notch offense, quite possibly the best top-down defence in the world, and a goaltender who - though a little long in the tooth - brings all of the experience from having established himself as one of the 5 best goaltenders in the history of the game. There's new blood in the coaching staff, an impressive infusion of youth at virtually every position, and we are one of the few teams who have managed to retain the vast majority of their core throughout the lockout. When your GM can say that he's brought all of that to the table, then I really don't see where Muckler has failed in terms of serving the team's best interests.
Finally somone who gets it. Im sick and tired of everyone complaing about this teams moves or how the new CBA is going to destroy the Sens future. So much doom and gloom. This team is going to be a conteder for the cup for the next 5 years and if they continue to draft well we could be a contender for alot longer then that.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:25 AM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Muckler's moves have been mixed at best.I think the jury is still out as to whether they have srenghtened or weakened the team.

A lot will depend on how the team, and expecially Hasek does this year.After all how many games has this aging goalie played in the last 2 years? If he goes down,how consistent is the "goalie of the future" Emery and how reliable will he be on shoot outs?

There are some pretty good goalies availble right now that might be more useful than Hasek,just as there are free agents that might work out to be more valuable than de Vries and Smolinski.Myabe Muckler lives a little bit too much in the past.

Muckler sends mixed signals,low balling players such as Havlat and overpaying journeymen such as Smolinski.

And when it comes to first round trouncings-that's what Ottawa had the year before the lock out. Look back at the year before that-was that team better?

Time will tell and it will be interesting to see it play out this year.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Puck
Ninja

In this business. the countdown to your firing begins the day you are hired. The best you can do is try to extend your shelf life a bit. Muckler just got a contract extension. I suppose that is a sign of success, of sorts. He has battled the 'extinction demons' so far, he won't forever. As soon as there is that critical mass, screaming for your head on a skewer, you're gone. I don't think this thread is that critical mass...

So far, the two guys (DeVries-Smoke) everyone has been clamouring to buyout are his projects. That can't be good. But Muckler hasn't messed up big so far, no critical mass yet. The media talking heads seem to like him for the most part. I think the fans in most markets are going to be more critical within the framework of the new CBA. I think the GMs are in for a rougher ride. Mistakes are going to be tougher to cover up.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:15 AM
Pangu

How is this draft the best test of Muck's ability. From the sounds of it, this was Frank Jay's baby and Muck had little to do with it. Nor did Muck sign Frank Jay. It seems to me that he just said, these guys seem to be doing pretty damn well, maybe I will leave them alone. Why would you do anything else with their track record.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty
....Muckler sends mixed signals,low balling players such as Havlat and overpaying journeymen such as Smolinski...
LOW BALLING! He gave him what the CBA said he could give him. Havlat had no choices. If he paid Havlat more then he did then I would say he was incompetent. Why in the world do you overpay a player when you don't have to? Havlat will get his due when his time comes. As for overpaying Smolinski...get a grip! Smolinski was paid what was fair for the old CBA. And Muckler was smart enough to make sure the back-end of the contract was significantly lower just in case a cap came to pass. How much do you think a Smolinski is worth these days? The $3M over two years he is going to get is certainly within reason.

Muckler is not running a fantasy league version of the Sens, he is running the real thing with real $$$$. He has to get the best team he can get within the limitations of his budget. Some players have to be let go (White Prusek) and it is unfortunate but those are his decisions to make. Muckler was universally panned on these boards for trading Lalime and Bonk for nothing. Instead he got valuable cap room (that otherwise would have meant an expensive buyout or letting a player become a UFA for no return) and draft picks that will help in the future.

Muckler has done a great job so far. How can I say that? I look at the team he has right now after all the uncertainties of the lock-out and compare it to what other teams have to do and that tells me all I need to know.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:25 AM
pepty
Let's win it all

Smolinski and de Vries took up too much time and money in both the old and the new CBA. Thankfully they are not taking up as much cap space.as had first been reported.

They are useful players,just somewhat overpaid. In the meantime. Muckler hard bllas the RFA's. That may come back to bite the Sens in the future.
Maybe not

Time will tell.

I agree this draft does not reflect Muckler's imprint on the team; that will come from the players he has brought in and those he lets go.

In my opinion,the jury is still out.

Old
08-01-2005, 02:02 PM
bert

I guess I dont fit in with everyone else around here. I dont think he has done a very good job. He hasnt addressed one major team need since he has got here (right handed shot to play with redden, ace faceoff man, grit/scoring on the left side, proven first string goaltender that doesnt come out of retirement). While our prospect strength is strong he has defenitely depleted it while aquiring marginal players.

The pass over of Kopitar blew my mind.

This recent move with Prusek is the one I understand the least. Unless he has some sort of backup plan like signing him to a cheaper deal then what he would have been qualified at or he has another goaltender he wants to sign that is nhl capable then I think that is good. But if he plans to go with Emery as the backup when we have an injury proned 40 year old who has played 14 games in the last three years I think he has lost it. Emery was strait up bad last year, he is a positional goaltender that is terrible on breakaways. This is not the kindof goaltender that is a winner in the new nhl.

Old
08-01-2005, 02:05 PM
sensruletheworld

I Am Worried

Think about it:

We have a worldclass team up front and on Defence. And yet we have a 42 y.o. goalie, and we just let Prusek go UFA so we can bring a rookie up??? Ok, so its April and hasek blows out his hammy, and now we have a rookie goaltender to take the best team in the league into the playoffs????

This makes NO SENSE!! Every year the sensa rely on scoring to win in the playoffs, and teams with better goalies beat us (see TO, NJ)

THIS is a HUGE blunder...... i think we need to sign a better backup incase hasek goes down, emery IS not ready to take the sens into the playoffs. Go get sean burke as a backup.

Old
08-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Let me get this right. Hasek's gets hurt and now Prusek is supposed to be the guy to bring us a cup?

You can't just keep putting Emery down on the farm. Sooner or later they have to give him the shot he has earned. If they don't have any confidence in him then they would have done something about it before now.

And the last time I looked there were no shoot outs in the playoffs! And with all due respect to BingoSens Fan (because IMO he certainly provides excellent insights to the players on the farm) I don't buy it that he is that bad on shoot outs.

Plus I am not convinced they won't re-sign Prusek for less $ than he was going to be qualified for. Nobody wanted him at that price before, so obviously he is going to make less than what he was scheduled for and it might as well be with the Sens and playing behind his idol Hasek. If they had given Prusek a QO everybody would be up in arms about how much cap room he is taking up and why was he given a QO when nobody else wanted him at that price, yada yada yada.

As for the following season, Muckler has already stated he will be looking at the long list of good goalies that could come available then.

Old
08-01-2005, 03:16 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

Lets hope that no one picks up Prusek and he can come back as some added insurance in goal. Hasek for health reasons and Emery for consistency reasons are a worry.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:46 PM
SENSational

I'm not a big fan of Muckler meither. My bro doesn't mind him though (this is his account). Personally, I believe he's too old for this job, he's the oldest GM in the league right? I also believe that if in this season the Sens don't do good, he will be gone.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:50 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

I have never been a fan of Muckler but his work with the body of the roster has been decent. I've said it before he will be judged on how the goaltending performs. I truly believe Hasek cannot be a top flight goalie in this league any longer. So now its down to Emery or an in season move. The free agent list is horrid, with only Khabi worth paying for.( too expensive for most) . The easiest thing would be Emery getting the job and running with it. Its unlikely. So its time to get the pro scouts to work and find one.

Closed Thread