HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Engqvist up, Palushaj down (Engqvist & Dawes down now)

Old
03-21-2011, 05:44 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Hate reading between the lines, but is calling up a centre and sending down a winger proof that Plekanec's injury might be more serious than we thought? Hope not...

Agree with most of the sentiments here: Engqvist was solid in his first call-up this year, Palushaj definitely needs some more seasoning. Don't have a problem with this, whatever the reason behind it may be.
I think it is more a move to get a more NHL ready and fundamentally sound player up than the injury situation. Gives us more options, and brings a little more cohesiveness to the bottom of the lineup. We will see what happens though

How many call ups do we have left?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

I dont see the point but eh.

I'd prefer to see Alex Henry being called up.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Protest the Hero

I like Palushaj, I think he showed he can be good in the future, but he's not quite there yet. They probably want to see what Enqvist has going into the playoffs as he's closer to the NHL.

I've gotta say I'm a little disappointed in Dawes. His first game was good, he was all over the ice and he was running into everyone he could, hardly did anything his second game, and it was the same last night.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I like Engqvist, I think he's going to earn himself a full-time spot on our squad next season. He might start the year in Hamilton but he'll be called up pretty early and end up with ~50 games. If he knows he has a chance to make the NHL next year it means he's gonna bust his balls in the offseason to gain some weight and muscle and next year he'll definitely be NHL ready.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
My first thought was that this is more about replacing an inadequate and often manhandled Pyatt as the 4th line C, since with this move Pyatt will likely go back to wing for the moment.
Yeah, I think it says more about the lack of depth at the center position than about the play of Palushaj.

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:04 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I think it is more a move to get a more NHL ready and fundamentally sound player up than the injury situation. Gives us more options, and brings a little more cohesiveness to the bottom of the lineup. We will see what happens though

How many call ups do we have left?

We called up White before the deadline on deadline day so he doesn't count. Otherwise, we've called up Dawes, Palushaj and now Enqvist. After the deadline, you get 4 call-ups. I can't see us needing another one anyway. Darche, Pleks and Halpern are close. We have an extra D-man in Weber, and Sopel may be back by Thursday's game. We should have more than enough players around really, really soon.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Swe_hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I like Engqvist, I think he's going to earn himself a full-time spot on our squad next season. He might start the year in Hamilton but he'll be called up pretty early and end up with ~50 games. If he knows he has a chance to make the NHL next year it means he's gonna bust his balls in the offseason to gain some weight and muscle and next year he'll definitely be NHL ready.
I have a feeling that unless the team gives him some clear indications that he'll play with the Habs next year he'll go back to Sweden (or KHL). But atleast now he does get a chance to show what he is made off.

Last time around his acceleration was way too slow, and I guess it hasn't improved in the short time since.

Swe_hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_hab View Post
I have a feeling that unless the team gives him some clear indications that he'll play with the Habs next year he'll go back to Sweden (or KHL). But atleast now he does get a chance to show what he is made off.

Last time around his acceleration was way too slow, and I guess it hasn't improved in the short time since.
I don't think he'll go back to Sweden, especially now after his second call up in the season. It means that they like what they saw the first time around.

You also have to figure that there are a lot of conversations going on between the players and the GM's, and I bet Pierre Gauthier has made it very clear to Engqvist about what he needs to do to earn a permanent spot on the team. If he has the drive then he's doing everything he can to reach those goals.

Old
03-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post

We called up White before the deadline on deadline day so he doesn't count. Otherwise, we've called up Dawes, Palushaj and now Enqvist. After the deadline, you get 4 call-ups. I can't see us needing another one anyway. Darche, Pleks and Halpern are close. We have an extra D-man in Weber, and Sopel may be back by Thursday's game. We should have more than enough players around really, really soon.
Its count when you call up to replace injuries ?! if not we still have 3 left then.

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
Its count when you call up to replace injuries ?! if not we still have 3 left then.
Why else would you call-up so late in the season?

Old
03-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Habitant le colon

Sit a 4th liner when you only have 11 fowards !

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:10 PM
billy piton

it probably means that pleky won't be back soon

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:29 PM
llamateizer

engqvist was decent this season

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:02 PM
ScopeHockey

The Habs lost their two best penalty killers and called up two guys who don't kill penalties. Now swapping Palushaj for Enqvist provides some help for the PK.....I'm tired of seeing Cammalleri on the PK.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:27 PM
neofury*

They're trying to see what these guys are capable of now before the playoffs. It's not sleight on Palushaj being sent down, they're just ready to give Engvist a try.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:29 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Just odd that they called up palushaj just to send him down and recall engqvist. If they wanted a PK'er, there was no reason to call up palushaj as engqvist is definitely the guy to call on for that. Now to waste a call-up for the switch?

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
They're trying to see what these guys are capable of now before the playoffs. It's not sleight on Palushaj being sent down, they're just ready to give Engvist a try.
Weren't the Habs on the PK yesterday when Cammy made that pass to Wiz? I might be wrong.

Anyways, what's so special about Enqvist? I've never really watched him so I don't know. His points totals aren't great either and it seems like he needs to bulk up. 191lbs at 6'4 is tiny

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Good to see more people coming around and becoming more optimistic/enthusiastic about Engqvist's chances with the Habs. I remember being among the relatively few that actually seemed eager to see what he could do on North American ice when we got him two years ago. Hope he does well, but I fear that the injury situation is going to throw these young guys a bit more responsibility and pressure than they're ready for; especially come playoff time. No better way to see what cloth they're cut from, I guess.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:13 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
From what i just saw on sports 30, Plek was flying on the ice today.
Gangsta probably took a few games off to take a little trip down to Columbia, to see how his - umm - candy business is operating over there.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Would have take Conboy before Engqvist.
Gauthier and Co are gonna exaust all their well of non-gritty players before they bring in one single gritty player. Never mind that a big reason of our gain in confidence lately has been the play of Mara and White.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
capebretoncanadien

I liked Palushaj. He'll be back up at some point. Time to give Enqvist another taste though.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:20 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Gauthier and Co are gonna exaust all their well of non-gritty players before they bring in one single gritty player. Never mind that a big reason of our gain in confidence lately has been the play of Mara and White.
I think if they call-up Conboy this season, it will hurt his devellopement. With his style of play, he's gonna get rocked in the NHL.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
You realize White was a call-up right?

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:45 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

This means one of Pleky and Halpern are going to be rested/ out for a while.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:48 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
You realize White was a call-up right?
Shhh. it's funnier this way.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote