HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Atte Engren(G) to Milwaukee?

Old
03-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 500
Atte Engren(G) to Milwaukee?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8046

If you scroll down to "Transactions" the Rumour for 03/20/11 is that he is going to Milwaukee(probably for next season I'm assuming).

Anyone else heard anything about that?

Thanks.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8046

If you scroll down to "Transactions" the Rumour for 03/20/11 is that he is going to Milwaukee(probably for next season I'm assuming).

Anyone else heard anything about that?

Thanks.
He arrived in Milwaukee on Saturday and will be practicing with the team for the rest of the year. Coach Lambert has not ruled out playing him this season either...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
He arrived in Milwaukee on Saturday and will be practicing with the team for the rest of the year. Coach Lambert has not ruled out playing him this season either...

Thanks!

What do you guys think of his future? I know Nashville has a lot of good goalie prospects, but I think he does have a future with the team.

Here is how I see the goalie situation(tell me if I'm wrong):
Lindback - very good backup, but not going to be a #1
Dekanich - also mainly a guy with good backup upside
Pickard - has struggled this season so who knows what happens with him

To me, this does leave room for Engren to show what he can do. Rinne's contract runs until the end of next season and then he is a UFA. While I'm sure the Predators will want to try to re-sign him, they also have a tendency to move from one goalie to the next rather quickly (Mason, Ellis, etc). So if Rinne asks for more than the Preds can afford, he could be gone, no?

Old
03-21-2011, 03:21 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Thanks!

What do you guys think of his future? I know Nashville has a lot of good goalie prospects, but I think he does have a future with the team.

To me, this does leave room for Engren to show what he can do. Rinne's contract runs until the end of next season and then he is a UFA. While I'm sure the Predators will want to try to re-sign him, they also have a tendency to move from one goalie to the next rather quickly (Mason, Ellis, etc). So if Rinne asks for more than the Preds can afford, he could be gone, no?
Mason and Ellis were stopgap guys. Rinne is a franchise goaltender. Poile said that the absolute hardest thing he has ever had to do as a GM was trade Vokoun (due to the ownership limbo). I can't see him doing it again.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Mason and Ellis were stopgap guys. Rinne is a franchise goaltender. Poile said that the absolute hardest thing he has ever had to do as a GM was trade Vokoun (due to the ownership limbo). I can't see him doing it again.
Correct, Rinne is a lot better than Mason and Ellis and they were more like stopgaps. However, Nashville is not NYR, they do have a budget, correct? So if Rinne asks for over $5 mill(which he can consider his numbers this year) are the Predators going to go for it? I'm not so sure about that. He is also a UFA after next season so there is the idea that other NHL teams could try to offer him more money than Nashville can.

Old
03-21-2011, 03:51 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Thanks!

You forgot Smith... And I disagree about Lindback. I think the guy has starter's potential -- just not elite potential like Rinne

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:31 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 300
Quote:
Correct, Rinne is a lot better than Mason and Ellis and they were more like stopgaps. However, Nashville is not NYR, they do have a budget, correct? So if Rinne asks for over $5 mill(which he can consider his numbers this year) are the Predators going to go for it? I'm not so sure about that. He is also a UFA after next season so there is the idea that other NHL teams could try to offer him more money than Nashville can.
everything will depend on how strongly Rinne feels about being here and how much he wants to risk having a bad year or an injury(which he had already this season) next year.

I think there is a decent chance Poile tries to extend him before next season for around $5 mil per for 3-4 years, whic we would be able to afford.

If Pekka has any sense he'll take that deal in a heartbeat. The league is littered with goalies who lost their mojo after one or two good years.

I think too many GMs have been burned on long goalie deals and so I dont see anyone throwing 6 mil or more for 5+ years at him.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:37 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Top 5 in goalie salaries is 6.3 million with Vokoun. If Rinne sniffs at a Vezina, that might be his next contract

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:58 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Top 5 in goalie salaries is 6.3 million with Vokoun. If Rinne sniffs at a Vezina, that might be his next contract
It will be if he follows this year up with another like it. he wont get 6mil+ based on this season alone.

the question is does he take the risk of an injury or an inconsistent season and drop way down??

Old
03-21-2011, 06:24 PM
OpenWheel

I remember being a bit disappointed that Rinne's contract was for only two years and didn't have a third year on it. Although I also thought from 2.8 to 4 million (next season) was a big jump without having him locked up if he did produce. He is more than earning his pay and would have been worth the four already this season. But if he continues on his form, he's going to be very expensive. And as an unrestricted free agent we have little leverage, and no draft pick compensation if someone else pays him the moon.

Poile hasn't exactly been any good at getting home team discounts from anybody either, he has really paid up for guys he wants to keep. It could be good if they'd work an extension this summer. Although I sort of hate to see the numbers.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:54 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Thanks!

Pickard went a year without winning a game in the AHL. Smith won the Kelly Cup in Cincinnati last season, putting him ahead of Chet in my book.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If I am Poile, I go all in this summer with Weber/Suter/Rinne. Offer the defensive pair 6-10 year deals at 6-7 million annually, and offer Rinne a 5 year deal at around 5-6 annually. Worst case scenario, you have 20 million invested in three players, but consider - Weber/Suter are both top 10 defensemen, with Weber on the fringe of Norris consideration (and many, myself included, believe Suter is even better) and Rinne is in a race for the Vezina....

These three have to be locked up long term IMO. It is vital for our franchise.

03-21-2011, 10:50 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
If I am Poile, I go all in this summer with Weber/Suter/Rinne. Offer the defensive pair 6-10 year deals at 6-7 million annually, and offer Rinne a 5 year deal at around 5-6 annually. Worst case scenario, you have 20 million invested in three players, but consider - Weber/Suter are both top 10 defensemen, with Weber on the fringe of Norris consideration (and many, myself included, believe Suter is even better) and Rinne is in a race for the Vezina....

These three have to be locked up long term IMO. It is vital for our franchise.
I do agree, but I also hope that all of this talk of increased revenue (be it from the team or the arena) means increased payroll...otherwise, we're always going to be counting on the Joel Wards and Marcel Gocs to eke out 15 goals, and bet our livelihood on it.

Old
03-21-2011, 10:50 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Pickard is a career ECHL starter, AHL backup. hate to say it, book's closed.

Dex is an RFA after this year, time to make some decisions on him (his AHL stats are great)

Almost wonder if they move Lindy, and let Dex take the #2 spot.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:25 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
We are on a budget. With that said, if Poile wants Rinne (which i can only imagine he does ) he will make room within our budget to stay competitive while getting Rinne what he deserves.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Word has it that Atte Engren will be making his North American debut for Milwaukee at Rockford tomorrow night!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 12:12 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Word has it that Atte Engren will be making his North American debut for Milwaukee at Rockford tomorrow night!
I agree. Saturday March 26 in Rockford according to the Admirals Roundtable. I will be listening in.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 01:33 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I remember being a bit disappointed that Rinne's contract was for only two years and didn't have a third year on it. Although I also thought from 2.8 to 4 million (next season) was a big jump without having him locked up if he did produce. He is more than earning his pay and would have been worth the four already this season. But if he continues on his form, he's going to be very expensive. And as an unrestricted free agent we have little leverage, and no draft pick compensation if someone else pays him the moon.

Poile hasn't exactly been any good at getting home team discounts from anybody either, he has really paid up for guys he wants to keep. It could be good if they'd work an extension this summer. Although I sort of hate to see the numbers.
Poile got a huge hometown discount from Weber who signed for 4.5 mil AND left himself an RFA at the end of his deal. Remember around this same time Phaneuf was signing for 7 mil per for 6 years.

and remember before he signed his extension Poile got Rinne last year for under 1 million, so Poile was kinda playing with house money.

Old
03-26-2011, 11:21 AM
JacklegJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
Pickard is a career ECHL starter, AHL backup. hate to say it, book's closed.

Dex is an RFA after this year, time to make some decisions on him (his AHL stats are great)

Almost wonder if they move Lindy, and let Dex take the #2 spot.
Pekka Rinne and Chet Pickard are perfect examples why you should never use a first-round draft pick on a goalie.

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 03:06 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Poile got a huge hometown discount from Weber who signed for 4.5 mil AND left himself an RFA at the end of his deal. Remember around this same time Phaneuf was signing for 7 mil per for 6 years.

and remember before he signed his extension Poile got Rinne last year for under 1 million, so Poile was kinda playing with house money.
I guess that's true. Rinne wasn't proven at all before last year, so that part was understandable. But at least Shea didn't rob the bank last time, that was a good deal for the Predators. I should give Poile credit for that.

But of those who were Predators before their last deal, so who could be "home town discount" people, which one of these is underpaid? Erat, Legwand, Sullivan, Ward, Hornqvist? I'd say Goc signed for less than market. On defense, I would say both Suter and Weber are making a less than market. But Suter's deal was not a discount, it was a solid contract at the time, but the final year at 3.5 looks good except for then he'll be a free agent just reaching his prime. I guess the future will tell how many of the expensive deals were due to circumstances that Poile was dealt, versus how good a negotiator he is, and how much players like to play here. I suppose I think Poile will manage ok after all. But we'll find out.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 03-26-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old
03-26-2011, 03:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackleg Jack View Post
Pekka Rinne and Chet Pickard are perfect examples why you should never use a first-round draft pick on a goalie.
And to think, Eberle went only a few picks after Pickard...

Old
03-26-2011, 03:35 PM
OpenWheel

The main thing that bugs me about Popile twice drafting goalies high, is not that they both may be busts, sometimes you lose on prospects.

But he talked over and over while defending his Brian Finley pick that goalies were a prized asset and you could always trade them. "Goaltending is at a premium in this league" he said when he defended using the sixth pick of the draft on one.

Last year he was asked about moving some of our goaltending assets for scoring and he said "there's not much of a market for goaltenders, you can't really get what they are worth". The exact opposite of what he said years before with Finley, although of course league markets change with time. But grrrr... if goaltender assets get traded below worth lately, WHY DRAFT THEM HIGHLY?

But, the guys he took appeared to be the best player available at that point, to Poile. But sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 03-26-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old
03-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Drake744
Keep Seth Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackleg Jack View Post
Brian Finley.....

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
The main thing that bugs me about Popile twice drafting goalies high, is not that they both may be busts, sometimes you lose on prospects.

But he talked over and over while defending his Brian Finley pick that goalies were a prized asset and you could always trade them. "Goaltending is at a premium in this league" he said when he defended using the sixth pick of the draft on one.

Last year he was asked about moving some of our goaltending assets for scoring and he said "there's not much of a market for goaltenders, you can't really get what they are worth". The exact opposite of what he said years before with Finley, although of course league markets change with time. But grrrr... if goaltender assets get traded below worth lately, WHY DRAFT THEM HIGHLY?

But, the guys he took appeared to be the best player available at that point, to Poile. But sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
Not defending/criticizing Poile or his draft choices at goal, but during the trade deadline, I heard two or three GM's say that the trade value of goalies has changed pretty dramatically over the years and that there is kind of a disconnect between how a team values its own goalies versus what you can get for them. So I guess that would address in part what Poile said about Finley a decade ago versus what he or any other GM might say today.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 06:21 PM
OpenWheel

But yet he drafted another one in the first round fairly recently, knowing the recent market undervalues goalies. That's what doesn't make sense. Drafting Finley may have made sense, if it appeared you normally had to overpay to get one. It doesn't make sense recently, when he says they go for less than value.