HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Have you ever thrown a catfish on the ice?

Old
03-05-2011, 03:38 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
And you might want to freeze it if you're planning on keeping it for more than a day before the game. Also soaking it in lemon juice might help with the smell.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:05 AM
AEM6729

After seeing a catfish get thrown the other night, I've been thinking a lot about the logistics of it. I think the best way to do it would be to get a seat on the glass...either convince someone to let you borrow it for 5-10 minutes or buy one yourself...that way you wouldn't have to run down the stairs, throw it, then turn around and run back. The best would be if the people around you were cool and you could let them in on your secret, then get them all to stand up at the same time as you actually throw the catfish so security couldn't see who actually did it. Then if security came down everyone could just point at everyone else. Hahaha.

I kinda wanna throw a catfish. I'm not gonna lie.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:36 AM
NSDQ

The next time the Octopus hits the ice at the Bridge I hope the shovel guy does a skate through to slice it in 2.

NSDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:29 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSDQ View Post
The next time the Octopus hits the ice at the Bridge I hope the shovel guy does a skate through to slice it in 2.
I was sitting like 4 rows behind Catfish Kenny in 307 the other night and literally the second those octopuses were thrown he burst out of his seat and sprinted down the stairs with that huge stuffed fish. Awesome.

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Everlong
-

What's the relevance or history behind throwing a catfish?? Sounds hilarious though.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:58 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
What's the relevance or history behind throwing a catfish?? Sounds hilarious though.
It is, more or less, a counter to Detroit's octopus on the ice. While I know the octopus used to signify the 8 wins it took to win the Cup, this has no other true significance (even though other teams try to imply that it means we are "bottom feeders" -- which, simply, is not true).

Since there is a big following of Red Wings fans down here (they were "America's Team" leading up to the time we got a team in '98 PLUS there are so many Detroit transplants down here thanks to GM and Nissan), they would always launch an octopus on the ice at our arena. We started to counter it with our own tradition. Which, in my opinion, makes fun of their tradition.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Adz

It was around that time that all the decorated catfish sculptures were up around town. That wasn't the only reason but it factored into it.

Catfish are pretty easy to get, too.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Everlong
-

Better than waffles I suppose.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:44 PM
mollymcdeath
I'm drunk.

I can't stand the thought of touching a fish, I really kind of hate fish altogether. So, I've been trying to find a plastic or rubber toy one, something with a nice weight to it. I checked Cracker Barrel and googled for stores online, anyone got any other ideas how to find one?

mollymcdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:38 PM
irisheyes555

so glad al gore invented the internet.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:45 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Why is there no video of the REAL catfish at the start of the game?

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:48 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
It was around that time that all the decorated catfish sculptures were up around town. That wasn't the only reason but it factored into it.

Catfish are pretty easy to get, too.
I remember this one was outside the arena at the draft in 2003...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:53 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
I think of the catfish as being a big Southern middle finger to Detroit and their octopus.

I want to throw one, but I don't wanna get kicked out of a game...all these games are so important, I don't wanna miss one! Do they really eject you? Do you think it's possible, if you were sitting close enough to the glass that you didn't have to actually leave your seat to launch the fish, that you could get it done without being caught? Or would there always be some lamesauce person who would rat you out?

It'd be hilarious if you could get all the people around you to be like "What? She didn't do it, that guy did!" and have everyone point at someone else. Hmmm....

Old
03-22-2011, 09:22 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

The need to find that one, and bring it back, permanently.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:08 AM
AEM6729

I'm feeling a need to revive this thread for a second...

Hypothetically, if you were going to throw a catfish on the ice, how would you time it? Do you go with the tried and true before the puck drops approach, or do you wait for an appropriately emotional time in the game...perhaps right before a TV timeout ovation, right after a goal, right after Toots beats the crap out of someone, etc? Besides having a fish strapped to your body for who knows how long, the second approach could also be risky because what if the long-awaited perfect moment never comes? Then you end up like the goofball at the last Detroit game who randomly threw an octopus on the ice when they were down 3-1. Hmmm...so many things to think about!

Also (hypothetically of course... ) if you were going to launch a catfish onto the ice, where exactly would you procure said catfish from?

Old
04-01-2011, 09:28 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

I wonder where it is? I agree, they need to find it.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I'm feeling a need to revive this thread for a second...

Hypothetically, if you were going to throw a catfish on the ice, how would you time it? Do you go with the tried and true before the puck drops approach, or do you wait for an appropriately emotional time in the game...perhaps right before a TV timeout ovation, right after a goal, right after Toots beats the crap out of someone, etc? Besides having a fish strapped to your body for who knows how long, the second approach could also be risky because what if the long-awaited perfect moment never comes? Then you end up like the goofball at the last Detroit game who randomly threw an octopus on the ice when they were down 3-1. Hmmm...so many things to think about!

Also (hypothetically of course... ) if you were going to launch a catfish onto the ice, where exactly would you procure said catfish from?
http://www.littlesfishcompany.com/index.html

I think...before the first faceoff or after a goal.

Old
04-01-2011, 05:42 PM
mollymcdeath
I'm drunk.

Stoppage when the crowd is all standing.
I think after a goal is a good time if you want it to be a celebratory catfish, also when everyone is standing up and yelling at a bad call from the ref would be a good time for the rally-out-of-spite catfish.

mollymcdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:46 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
http://www.littlesfishcompany.com/index.html

I think...before the first faceoff or after a goal.
I have just discovered that apparently catfish-launchers usually call this place ahead of time to let them know about your need for an entire catfish, and they can't fill last-minute demands...blast.

However I've also just discovered that K&S Food Corner on Charlotte (and the one on Nolensville Pike) has several whole catfish.

Hypothetically, of course.....

Old
04-04-2011, 04:54 AM
TediT

Fangtastic Fanale 4/8 would be an ideal time to throw said catfish, hypothetically. Bound to have a full house. Bound to be lots of times when place is standing ovation/rocking the rafters. Harder to be spotted among the masses???

Besides, I won't be able to make it Tuesday night to see it then. lol. And, I'd really love to see you succeed!

We're up in 305, and can't get anything over that netting.

TediT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:15 PM
ashmud

A catfish was tossed a few minutes ago at the beginning of the 1st.

ashmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I have just discovered that apparently catfish-launchers usually call this place ahead of time to let them know about your need for an entire catfish, and they can't fill last-minute demands...blast.

However I've also just discovered that K&S Food Corner on Charlotte (and the one on Nolensville Pike) has several whole catfish.

Hypothetically, of course.....
You are the criminal from tonight!

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:53 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
You are the criminal from tonight!
I wish!

Since the aforementioned fish market couldn't fulfill my last-minute catfish order, I had to try to go to KS Food Market...which, unbeknownst to me until I got there, is a place staffed completely by foreign people. Not hating on that, but for the life of them they could NOT understand that I wanted a WHOLE catfish with the head and all. They kept trying to chop its head off! I kept trying to say/mime/whatever what I wanted, but it just was not happening. Finally I gave up and aborted the mission, and got to the game 15 minutes late with no catfish. Epic fail.

Good news is, I have since found a much more reliable catfish source and will be fully prepared for the playoffs.

Old
04-10-2011, 04:18 AM
Dodgie

Just saw this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp2020

What? Weren't the "Green Men" creepy enough?

Anyway, if you have a boat and some chicken livers I can getcha a catfish. There's some monsters living above Percy Priest dam. I've got a friend who has been scuba diving there....said he was so scared he'd never go back. On second thought, you'd probably have to buy the fish a ticket to get it in the game.
Nevermind.

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgie View Post
Just saw this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp2020

What? Weren't the "Green Men" creepy enough?

Anyway, if you have a boat and some chicken livers I can getcha a catfish. There's some monsters living above Percy Priest dam. I've got a friend who has been scuba diving there....said he was so scared he'd never go back. On second thought, you'd probably have to buy the fish a ticket to get it in the game.
Nevermind.
I love the comments by the Wild announcers.

Chicken livers? Shoot, you could probably catch them with rubber bands.