HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Crossing the Border

Old
03-21-2011, 06:02 PM
MetalMilitia

vCash: 500
Crossing the Border

I'm a Canadian and my passport has recently expired. I have tickets to a Wings game and I won't be able to renew my passport in time. I've gone to many Red Wings games and I've learnt that the guys at the border can be a pain sometimes. If I show up without a passport; tell them it's expired, and show my photo ID health card, drivers license and birth certificate will there be a problem? Should I just try to sneak over in a trunk? haha
I'll be traveling over in the tunnel bus from the Windsor station.

MetalMilitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia View Post
I'm a Canadian and my passport has recently expired. I have tickets to a Wings game and I won't be able to renew my passport in time. I've gone to many Red Wings games and I've learnt that the guys at the border can be a pain sometimes. If I show up without a passport; tell them it's expired, and show my photo ID health card, drivers license and birth certificate will there be a problem? Should I just try to sneak over in a trunk? haha
I'll be traveling over in the tunnel bus from the Windsor station.
eh, sneak across the river, go to the game, and then let'em deport ya. And quit taking all of our jobs.

seriously, I wouldn't screw with it. Find a buddy to give the tickets to and get your passport renewed.

03-21-2011, 06:29 PM
ThankYouBasedGod

I HIGHLY doubt you will be allowed across without a passport. You may have a 0.01% chance of getting through.

ThankYouBasedGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:39 PM
MetalMilitia

Damn...well, looks like I'm getting turned down at the border.

Old
03-21-2011, 07:25 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheMule View Post
I HIGHLY doubt you will be allowed across without a passport. You may have a 0.01% chance of getting through.
A while back when Detroit faced Vancouver in Detroit (the game where Datsyuk got hurt) I went with my dad and uncle and on the way my uncle realized he had left his passport at home. When we got to the border we talked to the guy and he looked him up on the computer and let us through....

so I think it's a lot higher than .01%, I would try rather than let the tickets go to waste

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 07:59 PM
MetalMilitia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
A while back when Detroit faced Vancouver in Detroit (the game where Datsyuk got hurt) I went with my dad and uncle and on the way my uncle realized he had left his passport at home. When we got to the border we talked to the guy and he looked him up on the computer and let us through....

so I think it's a lot higher than .01%, I would try rather than let the tickets go to waste
Yeah I'm definitely going to try. I figure if they can look me up online it should be fine. I've crossed at that spot for Red Wing games 7,8,9 times. It's not like it's my first rodeo or anything and I'm not a threat to run off in the country.

Old
03-21-2011, 10:44 PM
ThankYouBasedGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post

Depends on how far he lives. I wouldn't drive 2+ hours only to be turned away. Needing a passport to cross the border is a law so I just don't think he will be allowed, he might but most laws are enforced.

ThankYouBasedGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:51 PM
HappyGilmourr

I actually work at the border, and you will be fine as long as you don't look suspicious. Have photo ID and a birth certificate and they will likely let you in. They will look you up in there IIUSW4 system and assuming you don't have a criminal record you should be fine, good luck.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:48 PM
MetalMilitia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
I actually work at the border, and you will be fine as long as you don't look suspicious. Have photo ID and a birth certificate and they will likely let you in. They will look you up in there IIUSW4 system and assuming you don't have a criminal record you should be fine, good luck.
Really? Thank you very much. I don't have a criminal record and like I said earlier, I've crossed the border a ton for red wing games. They are $140 tickets and I'm driving 4 hours to go. My buddy is driving from Sudbury. He is the Leafs fan. haha