HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Matt Cooke is a disgrace (Update: Suspended rest of season, 1st playoff round)

Old
03-21-2011, 09:47 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
10 games plus the first round should mean the rest of the season for Cooke. No Crosby. No Malkin. And worst of all for them, no Sens for the Pens to beat up on this time.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 10:09 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
I guess that I am the only one who thinks it was not severe enough.

I think it should have been 20 games, counted out including as long as the Pens are in the playoffs, and if they are eliminated, the suspension should last early into next season.
He should have sat out the rest of this regular and post season and the first 5 games of next year. Why should he be "rewarded" should the Pens manage to win a round?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:01 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:

I think it should have been 20 games, counted out including as long as the Pens are in the playoffs, and if they are eliminated, the suspension should last early into next season.
He is going to lose over $200k in salary with his current suspension. I think it is a clear enough message. No matter how much of a nutcase with no conscience he might be, he will surely be missing that nearly quarter of a million bucks. However, if he were to do something like this again I think it should be an 82 game suspension no questions asked.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:34 AM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

It was fair. To be honest, we wanted to see him burned at the stake, so of course many of us would demand longer, but in unbiased reality, it was fair.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Glad to see Cooke finally get a lengthy suspension.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 03:36 AM
eco's bones

Quote:

I agree. That was as deliberate an attempt to injure a player as I've seen in a long time. Further than that there wasn't even any provocation on McDonagh's part. That was basically a drive by looking for anybody.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:57 AM
RGF

I am assuming everyone has watched HBO's 24/7 episode. I re-watched a few episodes last night and in two of the episodes, there were lengthy clips on both Matt Cooke and Matt Hendricks.

I believe Cooke got what he deserved in his suspension stemming from the hit against McD. He has been a constant offender and has not learned to be more aware of his play with defenseless players. Few things i wanted to bring up with respect to the show and just how i think about Cooke as a player.

Matt Hendricks stated in one episode that if he didn't play the way he played, physical aggressive, in the agitator role he has assumed on the Capitals, he would not be in the NHL. He had several years of bouncing between AHL and NHL and found the only way to stay was to fight. Everyone needs their niche.

So what is Cooke's niche? Would he be able to stay in the league if it werent for this additional role he plays on the Penguins? (however, they seem to have plenty of guys who stick up and fight - Engelland).

Vs. a comparable player (to me = Sean Avery) he appears to play similarly but produce more points. Is it a coaching issue where Torts has reigned in some of Avery's old habits but Byslma encourages Cooke to play how he's been successful in years past (several good years in Van, Pitt specifically) but at times detrimental to the safety of others?

Hockey is a brutal but incredibly fun sport to watch. I see why the NHL needs to protect its players. Its the product we all love so much. No one wants to see teams altered because of a star player's (or any player) concussion or serious from a dirty play. I think the suspension is significant enough that it will force Cooke and others to think how to better utilize their physical / aggressive tendencies to play better and help their teams' success

As a Ranger fan, I disapprove of not only what Cooke did to a Ranger player, but in many instantances, the level of aggression he has displayed in instances where a simple check or solid hit would suffice.

However, I do respect Cooke as a player and I don't believe or agree with fans saying he deserves no place in the league. Those thoughts and opinions should be directed towards the Islanders' Trevor Gillies who has no skill whatsoever and is a pure goon just simply trying to hurt players.

Over his career, Cooke has been producing at a higher rate than Avery and both play a similar physical/aggitator style, which I am sure it is not easy to be a player who is smaller... Based on the show, 24/7 seems to show him as a good person, strong family values and is passionate about several charities. I am sure he is a good teammate. Just as Avery has been to his teammates and our club.

RGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGF View Post

Over his career, Cooke has been producing at a higher rate than Avery and both play a similar physical/aggitator style, which I am sure it is not easy to be a player who is smaller... Based on the show, 24/7 seems to show him as a good person, strong family values and is passionate about several charities. I am sure he is a good teammate. Just as Avery has been to his teammates and our club.
Cooke 0,37 PPG
Avery 0,43 PPG

He might be hell of a guy to his friend and family, does that excuse him from being held responsible for his play? What has that to do with anything?

Sticky Fingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:08 AM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

"It was not immediately clear what Penguins owner and Hockey Hall of Famer Mario Lemieux thought of the suspension or Cooke's contrite response: Lemieux was not made available for comment Monday, according to Pittsburgh-area media reports."

Typical coward move by a total *****.

Anyone else HATE Mario Lemieux? Honestly, both he and Brodeur are my most hated players of all time.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:44 AM
RGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohf View Post
Cooke 0,37 PPG
Avery 0,43 PPG

He might be hell of a guy to his friend and family, does that excuse him from being held responsible for his play? What has that to do with anything?

Your states are skewed given Cooke has played 805 games vs. Avery's 559.

I don't think I excused him from anything he has done to either Ryan McDonagh or other players that have been on the receiving end of his very cheap and dirty plays.

I sincerely hope the play forces players like Cooke to play more constructively within a system to exact the same results without putting others in a position to be hurt. Unfortunately, it is part of the game and sometimes nothing can be done. But i do think league attention and the suspensions are significant enough to make players more aware.

But fans saying Cooke deserves no place in the league are wrong. Players like Trevor Gillies should be drawing that sort of attention before a player like Cooke.

I think there are probably some other issues: coaching. Tortorella doesn't allow Avery to have the same unbridled style of play that Byslma seems to, up until now, condone in Cooke. I mean how else could you explain Cooke being a constant offender for these type of plays.

On one hand if you play tentative, scared, or aware of getting hurt or injuring others you won't be as good. IN any sport, you have to go > 100%. It will be interesting to see how successful Cooke can be as new rules and increased scrutiny forces Cooke (and like players) to alter their playing styles

RGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Vito Andolini

I hate the guy as much as anyone else, but does anyone else see the irony in a fanbase that proclaims Mark Messier as the messiah, taking such issue with an elbow?

Mess threw his share of vicious elbows in his day and he was loved. I understand the game has changed but let's not get carried away. Getting thrown out of the game which basicaly paved the way for a loss, missing the rest of the regular season and a playoff series is a hell of a suspension. I'm satisfied.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
It was fair. To be honest, we wanted to see him burned at the stake, so of course many of us would demand longer, but in unbiased reality, it was fair.

No, because 90% of his deliberate attempts to injure have gone unpunished.

I guarantee that he'll do it again.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
I hate the guy as much as anyone else, but does anyone else see the irony in a fanbase that proclaims Mark Messier as the messiah, taking such issue with an elbow?

Mess threw his share of vicious elbows in his day and he was loved. I understand the game has changed but let's not get carried away. Getting thrown out of the game which basicaly paved the way for a loss, missing the rest of the regular season and a playoff series is a hell of a suspension. I'm satisfied.
Messier was a lot more than a cheap shot artist. Can't say the same about Cooke.

I see more irony in the few Pens fans who are trying to defend Cooke as a good guy when most Pens fans still consider Adam Graves a dirty player.

03-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 1000
Quote:

I don't think I excused him from anything he has done to either Ryan McDonagh or other players that have been on the receiving end of his very cheap and dirty plays.

I sincerely hope the play forces players like Cooke to play more constructively within a system to exact the same results without putting others in a position to be hurt. Unfortunately, it is part of the game and sometimes nothing can be done. But i do think league attention and the suspensions are significant enough to make players more aware.

But fans saying Cooke deserves no place in the league are wrong. Players like Trevor Gillies should be drawing that sort of attention before a player like Cooke.

I think there are probably some other issues: coaching. Tortorella doesn't allow Avery to have the same unbridled style of play that Byslma seems to, up until now, condone in Cooke. I mean how else could you explain Cooke being a constant offender for these type of plays.

On one hand if you play tentative, scared, or aware of getting hurt or injuring others you won't be as good. IN any sport, you have to go > 100%. It will be interesting to see how successful Cooke can be as new rules and increased scrutiny forces Cooke (and like players) to alter their playing styles
False buddy. It is not skewed whatsoever. You cant't skew PPG because its the average produced over their careers. If it was something like well Avery has 70 points more than cooke, when in reality Avery played 200 more games then yes its skewed, alas this is not the case. You can't argue logical mathematics and pure common sense. If you need some help with elementary math then PM me and ill be sure to explain it.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Messier was a lot more than a cheap shot artist. Can't say the same about Cooke.

I see more irony in the few Pens fans who are trying to defend Cooke as a good guy when most Pens fans still consider Adam Graves a dirty player.
Sure he was more than a cheapshot artist, but I can't deny that it was part of hsi game. Nor can I deny that it wasn't something that I was proud of seeing in the leader of my team. For me to sit here and be apalled by an elbow would be dishonest. I like that part of the game for whatever reasons. At the same time, it's still suspension worthy. I'm just not going to get all up in arms about it.

In a perfect world, Cooke would have to answer for his actions on the ice. Just like Subban should have in the Montreal game last Friday. That's not the way the league or perhaps the fans want it though.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:10 AM
NYRKindms

Quote:

You know what Trevor Gillies is a little more respectable than what Cooke does. Trevor Gillies reacted to liberties that the Isles thought were being taken with their team. In both instances he enacted "justice" against players / teams that were arguably being rough / cheap with his team

Cooke on the other hand throws an elbow to the head in a sneaky deliberate fashion trying to hurt someone unprovoked.

What Trevor Gillies did went over the line (at least in the Pitt game) but is a little more understandable in the heat of the battle / 2 teams getting dirty. And I would remind you that it was Cooke who sparked this situation (if memory serves me) in the previous game between those 2 teams.

And not for nothing but since the brawl the isles have been playing pretty good hockey.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:40 PM
eco's bones

Is Cooke an NHL caliber player? Yes. Skates well, forechecks well, can hit cleanly, put up 30 or so points a season, penalty kill. Does he need to play dirty to stay in the league? No--his skills are good enough but he's chosen to play the way he has and to the question of whether he can change his game I have some real doubt. Should he be allowed to continue injuring other players just because he's an NHL caliber player in other ways. No. He's a menace to the game as far as I'm concerned--and it appears now he's on a real short leash. I think the next time he attempts a kind of hit like he did to McDonagh--or to Anisimov--or even Savard last year should be his last--as in banning him from the league.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:54 PM
MSG the place to be*

Don't know if this was mentioned in this thread but thought this was interesting:

Shero and Bylsma have asked Cooke recently to dial down his aggressiveness. Shero told Cooke to use his suspension to figure out how to play the game effectively without going over the line. He told Cooke to look at Rangers player Ryan Callahan.

"He's a very physical player, a heart-and-soul guy," Shero said. "He's one of the league leaders in hits, but can keep his elbows down. That's what Matt has to do."

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Rangers' Balls

I don't know how scripted this was, but did this phrase strike anyone else as odd?

"I'm fortunate that Ryan McDonagh wasn't hurt."

I'm fortunate that Ryan McDonagh wasn't hurt. Doesn't sound like he's even thinking about this the right way to me. Ryan McDounagh is fortunate, the Rangers are fortunate, but Matt Cooke? He should be thinking about others here, not how the lack of injury impacts his own life. The way he said that seemed to be borderline sociopathic when combined with his history of blatant disregard at best, intent at worse, towards injuring others out there. Avery was forced into counseling, I am surprised Matt Cooke wasn't here.

just in case people didn't see the cookie "apology": http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=359076

Also his text according the Shero fits into my earlier premise. Shero said Cooke did sent McDonagh a text. "(He said) hopefully you are OK, and I take full responsibility for it." No "I'm sorry" anywhere in there? Didn't this guy go to elementary school?

Last edited by Kel Varnsen: 03-22-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Weekes was saying on the NHL network if he were Bylsma, he wouldn't let him back for the second round of the playoffs if the Pens get there.The Pens are in jeopardy every time he steps foot on the ice.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
Weekes was saying on the NHL network if he were Bylsma, he wouldn't let him back for the second round of the playoffs if the Pens get there.The Pens are in jeopardy every time he steps foot on the ice.
He certainly should have an Avery-sized target on his back with the officials.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
No, because 90% of his deliberate attempts to injure have gone unpunished.

I guarantee that he'll do it again.

Agree - 14 games is more than adequate.

During last nights Pens vs Wings game they showed a clip when Abdekader got decked twice by 2 differents Pred players in an earlier game, one of them was Weber, in exactly the same mannner Cooke took down McDonagh. No call on either of the two hits to the head.

So the issue here is not whether Cook is a bum or not, or whether Mario endorses the
suspension or not but once again the inconsistancy by which the League dishes out
these suspensions, or doesnt.

Frankly I don't buy the hit on Crosby being an accident.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He certainly should have an Avery-sized target on his back with the officials.
It should be bigger than Avery's by a lot. It won't be, but it should be.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
It should be bigger than Avery's by a lot. It won't be, but it should be.
And it should've been years ago.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:37 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
Frankly I don't buy the hit on Crosby being an accident.

What hit?? The Steckel play? Did you even see the play? I won't even call it a hit because Crosby wasn't watching where he was going and skated right into Steckel.

I agree with you about the inconsistencies in the league but gimmie a break about the Crosby play. As the league likes to say "that was just a hockey play."

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote